Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Talking about SVs, I'm kind of faffing about maybe swapping street/naked/touring bike next year.
I feel like I'm done with insano rev before something happens i4 engines after owning my 2004 fz6n.
I'm looking at the Suzuki sv1000 and the Honda vtr/superhawk/firestorm as I enjoyed the v-twin in my transalp.

I'm leaning towards the sv1000.
As I do a bit of touring, the fuel range on vtr seems like it would annoy me. I average around 10k miles a year.
99% of my street rides are with a top box and from what I can find noone has a top box solution for the vtr.

Value wise on good sales/buy I can swap my fz6n with sv1000(vtrs are lower valued) that's in decent milage/ condition no problem. And ofc drop 1k usd on it to make it mine, ie farkle it up as I like them, sort the luggage situation, fresh pirellis, full fluid swap/service etc etc.
From what I can see the sv1000 is pretty undervalued/unknown.

So, has anyone here ridden/owned one? Is it a good buy? Engine time bombs? I read something somewhere about epoxyed magnets in the generator/stator that fails with age on the early sv bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Couple of points: you're generally right about having to wait for the power with an I4 but the fz6 isn't very representative because after all the waiting you don't actually get power.

The sv1000 I'm very familiar with. They are a bike of contrasts.

On the one hand, they are magical on the chassis and handling front. The combination of a big twin with 90's gixxer suspension and geometry is really intoxicating, it's like an old Ducati without the flaws, or a vtr1000 without the floppy soggy porkyness. The size and weight and tyre sizes are at a perfect sweet spot, at least for me.

On the other hand, the engine is...not great. They're basically indestructible and fairly low maintenance, but the power delivery is really coarse. They come across as having really :effort: fuel mapping, like you can quite literally feel the zigzagging mixture plot as you steam up through the revs, they also respond poorly to noisy pipes. A power commander fixes all of this, but at the end you still have a somewhat... underwhelming? engine, like you sit there wondering if it's actually got 1000cc. The vtr1000 engine by comparison feels really 'big', the torque is much broader and smoother, throttle response is nicer (gigantic carbs with their own set of problems). This doesn't make up for the Honda's flaws, I think the Suzuki is a much better bike overall, but it's a good comparison.

The overall build quality is a considerable step back from your Yamaha but it's pretty much the norm for Suzuki and doesn't really matter that much. Also the half faired model has the best headlights I've ever used.

Basically if you're expecting a 1000cc v-twin naked sport bike they're underwhelming, if you're expecting a razor sharp jumbo SV with all the 650's flaws fixed from the factory, they're fucken delightful.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm, thanks for the info :)
My course of action looks to be an interested buyer in the spring to get some test rides to see how I Iike/accept the engine vs the handling/chassis.

I haven't tried the sv650 version either so I'll look for local ones of those too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Few months ago, I asked which bike to sell. Then I listed two out of three on the marketplace and well, nothing. I'm not listing at fire sale prices, and unfortunately there's very little interest. Out of few dozen people messaging, only few actually showed up. And no sale.

I'm mainly selling to clear out garage space, and eventually upgrade do something more desirable in the future. But at this point I wonder if it's worth to lower the price to get rid of em, or just take the listings down until it's tax rebate time.

Here in Pennsylvania the riding season is basically over, and it will pick up again middle of spring. Motorcycle sales do very well end of February and beginning of March because of tax rebates. The season to buy cheap motorcycles starts now, because people are desperate for Holiday money.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Do you need the garage space now? Dump them. If not, hold till the spring.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’d say wait it out, myself, I can’t imagine REALLY needing three extra months of a little bit of garage space.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nitrox posted:

Few months ago, I asked which bike to sell. Then I listed two out of three on the marketplace and well, nothing. I'm not listing at fire sale prices, and unfortunately there's very little interest. Out of few dozen people messaging, only few actually showed up. And no sale.

I'm mainly selling to clear out garage space, and eventually upgrade do something more desirable in the future. But at this point I wonder if it's worth to lower the price to get rid of em, or just take the listings down until it's tax rebate time.

Here in Pennsylvania the riding season is basically over, and it will pick up again middle of spring. Motorcycle sales do very well end of February and beginning of March because of tax rebates. The season to buy cheap motorcycles starts now, because people are desperate for Holiday money.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I sold a pretty uninteresting bike in January in Colorado for $1200 ($300 under my listing price) once. It took a while of nothing much happening and occasionally refreshing the ad and then I got a solid bite on it.
It can be done but basically I think you just have to put it to the side in the garage and mostly out of your mind but on the tender and gassed up ready to go.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Supradog posted:

Hm, thanks for the info :)
My course of action looks to be an interested buyer in the spring to get some test rides to see how I Iike/accept the engine vs the handling/chassis.

I haven't tried the sv650 version either so I'll look for local ones of those too.

SV650s are awesome. The engine is rev happy (goes to 10500rpm), but it doesn't *need* the revs. I mostly ride it between 3500 and 6500rpm.
If you're in slow traffic and barely cracking open the throttle, it'll just roll along in 1st or 2nd gear at 2000rpm. And that is one of the best things about it. It just never bucks or runs rough, unless you're really abusing it. It's super usable in standard traffic situations. Of course you can't accelerate like normal from 2000rpm, but it's smooth enough to crawl in traffic at those revs.

Many other bikes i tried need a lot more clutch modulation in slow, crawling traffic.

On the opposite end, it's also just easy to ride quickly. Up to 180km/h it's totally happy and it will get there quickly, above that it starts to get a bit labored and feels a bit more sloppy (stock suspension). Gotta say, at 180km/h you really do need the half fairing of the S version, and you gotta lie down on the tank.

My best fuel consumption number is 4,5l/100km. I average about 5,5l/100km including the occasional 'Wheee, bikey fast' urge i give into, so range with the 15l tank is very usable. At continuous full throttle on the autobahn it does 10l/100km, and that equals exactly 202km/h (Hi Mallard!) on GPS on my 22 year old SV.

Definitely check one out.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 13, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A midsize V-twin in a sporty frame with mostly upright seating is the perfect all-around street bike. There's a reason people love the Hawk GT and the SV650 and now the Ducati Scrambler. I don't know why every manufacturer doesn't keep a bike like that in their lineup at all times. I guess Yamaha MT-07 with their 270-degree parallel-twin is pretty close in spirit, and people (even Slavvy!) love that bike too.

More than enough power to get on the highway comfortably without screaming or buzzing, but not so much that you never get out of first around town, ideal power delivery and gearing for city streets or twisty two-lanes, sharp handling and easy steering, doesn't break your wrists or fold you up. Lovely

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2021

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
would i be a dummy to buy new as my beginner bike? seems impossible to find any used beaters in my area that arent market up with 200% covid tax

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

tyrelhill posted:

would i be a dummy to buy new as my beginner bike? seems impossible to find any used beaters in my area that arent market up with 200% covid tax

It's always advisable to buy a used first bike but buying new is not forbidden. It's just more expensive, and psychologically riskier since you're going to drop it and feel worse because it was new and shiny and now it's not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bought new because I didn't want to deal with the possibility of a used bike having something wrong with it when I don't know what wrong feels like yet and it was fine. But I was able to pay with cash and didn't mind the break in period meaning I couldn't really do much highway driving.

Somehow, I haven't dropped it yet but I figure that will come in the spring when I've forgotten everything over the winter.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
yea i am not a horrible rider in any way, did a bunch back when i was younger... still have the feeling i am gonna drop at least once tho haha

not in a rush either with the season basically over now, maybe ill get lucky and find someone selling on craigslist over the winter

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

I bought new because I didn't want to deal with the possibility of a used bike having something wrong with it when I don't know what wrong feels like yet and it was fine. But I was able to pay with cash and didn't mind the break in period meaning I couldn't really do much highway driving.

Somehow, I haven't dropped it yet but I figure that will come in the spring when I've forgotten everything over the winter.
Statistically you're more likely to crash on your second year, when you feel confident enough to take chances, but still don't have enough skills to mitigate risks properly.

Have fun with those thoughts!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Heading to a shop that has some new Versys 650's in stock (which I'm not excited about in any way, but trying to keep an open mind about everything), a used Tenere, and a bunch of cruisers. With more used stuff coming into stock, it's getting a lot easier to throw my leg over a variety of things and see if my bum hip screams at me or not.

Put a couple hours on my scooter last night and I definitely sit too low on it to get comfortable for long periods while in full fall/winter gear. It wasn't bad when I was in riding jeans, but with my pull-overs, it pinches the nerve in my hip that's bothering me more easily so I was definitely doing a lot of stretches at every stop light. I'm hopeful my physical therapy will continue to make the whole situation better, but if my leg is numb I'm not going to feel like riding as often.

They've got a 2016 Vulcan I'm going to at least glance at because even though it's not at all what I think I want, I like how it looks and I really want to at least consider all the possibilities. Previous advice given here was leaning towards a V-Strom (I'm 6'2", 32" inseam, looking for something with an upright riding position for comfort, plan on going moto-camping and do mild off-roading) and that's what I've sat on that most closely felt like what I'd want once I have enough cash in hand.

There's probably a 50/50 chance my partner's husband goes home on a Goldwing today.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ordinarily I would say don't buy a used bike but ever since covid the prices on used bikes are so insane I'd just buy a new one if you want.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Winter time is the season to do killer deals on bikes where the seller HAS TO free up some cash. But you need access to/rent of a closed trailer, a easy place to store and maybe work on the new bike and of course you can't really test ride it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Geekboy posted:

Heading to a shop that has some new Versys 650's in stock (which I'm not excited about in any way, but trying to keep an open mind about everything), a used Tenere, and a bunch of cruisers. With more used stuff coming into stock, it's getting a lot easier to throw my leg over a variety of things and see if my bum hip screams at me or not.

Put a couple hours on my scooter last night and I definitely sit too low on it to get comfortable for long periods while in full fall/winter gear. It wasn't bad when I was in riding jeans, but with my pull-overs, it pinches the nerve in my hip that's bothering me more easily so I was definitely doing a lot of stretches at every stop light. I'm hopeful my physical therapy will continue to make the whole situation better, but if my leg is numb I'm not going to feel like riding as often.

They've got a 2016 Vulcan I'm going to at least glance at because even though it's not at all what I think I want, I like how it looks and I really want to at least consider all the possibilities. Previous advice given here was leaning towards a V-Strom (I'm 6'2", 32" inseam, looking for something with an upright riding position for comfort, plan on going moto-camping and do mild off-roading) and that's what I've sat on that most closely felt like what I'd want once I have enough cash in hand.

There's probably a 50/50 chance my partner's husband goes home on a Goldwing today.

I had a Versys 650 and it was fine. Comfy, reliable, a bit boring but that's not always a bad thing. The cool thing with the Vulcan is there are multiple setups for it with seats, pegs and bars, but I don't know how that works with second hand bikes (I'm guessing it doesn't unless being sold by a main dealer.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Please consider something that's not almost 500lb for your first motorcycle.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The dealership didn’t have, like, any of the bikes we went to see actually in stock.

So we went to the Harley dealership.

I … really liked a 2017 Roadster I sat on and it was super comfy with lots of options to make it more comfy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Please consider something that's not almost 500600lb for your first motorcycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or alternatively, buy whatever dumb thing you want and a GoPro.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Or alternatively, buy whatever dumb thing you want and a GoPro.

Underestimating your turning circle into a ditch, understeering/target fixating into a ditch, dropping your bike on its side at an oddly cambered stop sign, or on a bit of gravel, or when you forgot your kickstand, doesn't make for good GoPro footage, it just makes you do the Spongebob Squarepants kid face while your visor is still down and then have to strip out of your jacket and give your buddy a hand pushing his 600lb piece of poo poo Vulcan 900 out of said ditch, or back upright.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I am sincerely looking for something that doesn’t weigh 500 pounds, but everything remotely comfortable I’ve sat on was heavy or a dirt bike.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Congrats on the new dirt bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

I am sincerely looking for something that doesn’t weigh 500 pounds, but everything remotely comfortable I’ve sat on was heavy or a dirt bike.

Remember that time you got told to get a dr650?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sit on:

Versys 300X
Honda 300L Rally
KLX 300 SM or dual sport version

Or any number of naked beginner bikes if your off roading is going to consist of a dirt road to a camping site (Z400, MT03, CB300R).

Edit: my list is carb free low fat

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 14, 2021

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’m not buying anything with a carb.

Well, anything else.

Russian Bear posted:

Sit on:

Versys 300X
Honda 300L Rally
KLX 300 SM or dual sport version

Or any number of naked beginner bikes if your off roading is going to consist of a dirt road to a camping site (Z400, MT03, CB300R).

Edit: my list is carb free low fat

Most of these are in stock locally. Thank you for the list.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Russian Bear posted:

Aye there's a huge list of smaller displacement bikes that would be fine, including a bunch of 500s like the CB500F, CMX500 Rebel etc. Benelli do some decent 500s but they are heavy as poo poo for their size.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What is it with people and carbs

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What is it with people and carbs

They suck. They can't help it, it's what they're built to do.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The thing is Geekboy, your situation is not unique. There’s big guys with bad hips on bikes everywhere. There are bikes in just about every class that fit big guys with bad hips. You’re filtering your search by “ergos sitting still at the dealership” primarily with “bikes at the dealership” and the unhelpful “no carbs” box checked. Filtering for abs is fine if you’re wedded to that and that rules out most carbed bikes. Carbs don’t mean you’ll always be fiddling with them and efi doesn’t mean nothing will ever go wrong.
You’ve laid out a reasonable use case for what you think you want out of a bike, and a handful of bikes were suggested that are designed for exactly that. A Roadster is absolutely not that.
Have you taken the MSF course? Do you even know if you like riding motorcycles? Are you in love with motorcycles or the idea of them?
Also, I don’t know anything about your financial situation, but if you have the money to get a new bike, than you can afford to go find the actual bike that you think will work and try it at a different dealership rather than saying “well that one’s not here, maybe this 1200cc Harley will be good too.”

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 14, 2021

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The problem with bike shopping is all bikes look really good when you are shopping. I knew a ton of dudes when I was in the Navy that bought brand new full size Harleys for their first bikes, pretty sure all of them were sold with under 1000 miles for line half of retail. I would test a bike like that before I spent the 15k or whatever they are asking for it. I find them obscenely boring. Hell, see if your Harley shop does the MSF class. At least if you do it there you will probably do it on a sportster or something like that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

Underestimating your turning circle into a ditch, understeering/target fixating into a ditch, dropping your bike on its side at an oddly cambered stop sign, or on a bit of gravel, or when you forgot your kickstand, doesn't make for good GoPro footage, it just makes you do the Spongebob Squarepants kid face while your visor is still down and then have to strip out of your jacket and give your buddy a hand pushing his 600lb piece of poo poo Vulcan 900 out of said ditch, or back upright.
I must disagree here, target fixating into a ditch is the best part of any No Prisoners video

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A carbed single is much easier to work on than a modern FI single, but neither is likely to ever need it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

A carbed single is much easier to work on than a modern FI single, but neither is likely to ever need it.

Both are trouble free systems if it actually gets ridden and not treated as garage art.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The problem with keeping an open mind is that a lot of motorcycles are very good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I must disagree here, target fixating into a ditch is the best part of any No Prisoners video

Ok I'll admit, that one did sound a bit exciting over the intercom.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

Both are trouble free systems if it actually gets ridden and not treated as garage art.

Yeah it's this, so much carb hate is based on bad owners who let bikes sit untouched , unmoved, and unloved for 5+ years. An FI bike is going to choke on old gas just like a carbed one, the only difference being the carbed one will have a pilot jet that needs to be cleared.

Typical motorcycle ownership stages, present company excluded of course:

1. Overspend on older carbed bike because looks cool, is vintage.
2. This isn't what I envisioned, speeds over 15mph makes me poop my pants, the bugs and road debris are annoying but no way am I wearing a helmet.
3. Bike sits for years and years.
4. Owner gets an urge to ride, goes out and cranks the bike over for 20 minutes with no luck. Now the battery needs to be replaced and the starter system has been stressed to the limit. WTF carbs suck!
5. Bike goes up for sale, low miles, well maintained, garaged, I know what I got.

Geekboy posted:

The problem with keeping an open mind is that a lot of motorcycles are very good.

You are approaching the Golden Path, that of multi bike ownership. It's inevitable so you may as well embrace it. Onroad and offroad are so wildly different in requirements that something that is perfect for both just doesn't exist, the closest being a lightish dual sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The other problem with older carb bike ownership is the desire to modify.

"Man, it sure would be cool to have a custom built exhaust system, better open up the intake!"
"I can change out this bank of carbs to a slightly newer bank, and I'll get .5hp improvement and increase my mileage by 1mpg!"

By that point you spend more time tinkering with your carbs than you do riding, and you end up buying a bunch of carb kits from Russia because even though you have to mix and match the gaskets to get a decent fix it's still cheaper than buying them from Dennis Kirk or RevZilla.