Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Demonachizer posted:

Not sure anyone here would know this but a coworker of mine was hired on recently at Amazon as an L6 and has the impression that he is going to be heavily involved in putting together a team. He has told me that he wants me to join on because there are a few things that I have involvement in that are kind of harder to find outside of a pretty smallish group of people. I am just curious how much leeway someone could possibly have when doing this? I know that with some firms this just isn't the way recruiting is done... I am grinding leetcode just to make sure because I am a little rusty on coding interview type questions and I am pretty sure that I can pass the systems design type stuff fine.

I have maybe 10 or so classmates between both and it really is dependent on where you land especially about Google. GCP can be pretty brutal or if you are on a team that is more customer facing vs ending up on some internal tooling team where you kind of can rest and vest. This is of course second hand.

you're going to have to do a real "onsite" interview, if thats your question. "putting together a team" is sourcing high quality internal and external candidates that have a high likelihood of getting through interviews and being a net positive to the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
My WLB answer: the instant I hit 40 hours I'm out the door.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I was invited to do a technical screening with Amazon. I already felt pretty gross about working with Amazon, but I think I could consider it if it was with an interesting team.

However, in the invitation email the recruiter provided some resources about how to prepare and they basically were all made by that techlead YouTuber rear end in a top hat.

Is that guy representative of the ideal candidate for Amazon? If so I'm not even sure I want to spend any time at all applying.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it means that recruiters cannot be trusted to do anything more than your average mcdonalds employee

hell the mcdonalds employee is almost always more trustable, having almost without exception less false consciousness about their proletarianness. they just hand you that burger and then you eat it.

they might have servsafe and or have gone to mcdonalds vocational thing and then theyll know more about what theyre doing than recruiters and everything

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 13, 2021

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Mantle posted:

I was invited to do a technical screening with Amazon. I already felt pretty gross about working with Amazon, but I think I could consider it if it was with an interesting team.

However, in the invitation email the recruiter provided some resources about how to prepare and they basically were all made by that techlead YouTuber rear end in a top hat.

Is that guy representative of the ideal candidate for Amazon? If so I'm not even sure I want to spend any time at all applying.

Yeah gently caress Tech Lead. If a company linked me his poo poo I would bail.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mantle posted:

Link for the unaware?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/IBV-k9E0eHg

He's done some pretty hosed up stuff like screwing over anyone hes collabed with (Joma Tech & the algoexpert guy) but I find his dry humor funny.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
This guy interviewed with me at my last job and not only came off as a total sociopath to most of us but also couldn't believe my female colleague was a developer and kept asking what her "real" job was.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Wasn't that guy a relatively recent Twitter main character? Something about becoming a millionaire at Google, and then dumping his wife? Don't remember details, and I'm not gonna research it because gently caress that guy. Yikes for anyone providing links to his videos, but at least they like to wave their red flags, I suppose.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

a dingus posted:

He's done some pretty hosed up stuff like screwing over anyone hes collabed with (Joma Tech & the algoexpert guy) but I find his dry humor funny.

I watched 2 minutes of this and had to turn it off. Who likes this kind of garbage?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

gbut posted:

Wasn't that guy a relatively recent Twitter main character? Something about becoming a millionaire at Google, and then dumping his wife? Don't remember details, and I'm not gonna research it because gently caress that guy. Yikes for anyone providing links to his videos, but at least they like to wave their red flags, I suppose.

I was curious, so here's all you need to know:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's bad enough to imagine that guy as a coworker, but him having a formal leadership role sounds like an absolute nightmare

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
As an ex-google ex-facebook ex-married ex-millionairre tech-lead,

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

leper khan posted:

As an ex-google ex-facebook ex-married ex-millionairre tech-lead,

oliveoil?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Mantle posted:

I don’t think I received the same prep stuff, but what I did receive coupled with reading some additional about Amazon’s culture and such caused me to back out of interviewing with them immediately. Their recruiters still bug me somewhat frequently since I’m in their system even though I remember being pretty clear I’ll never work for them.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

thotsky posted:

oliveoil?

Clearly you haven't watched those vids. They do have similar vibes though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Blinkz0rz posted:

I watched 2 minutes of this and had to turn it off. Who likes this kind of garbage?

One would have to be a dingus to like it, in one case.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I can't really decide whether I like his videos or not. I don't like him as a person, and I definitely wouldn't spend time with him or outright give him any money. But sometimes I can't tell where the satire starts and where it ends and I think that is funny. And if it isn't satire? Then call me a rubberneck because sometimes I enjoy slowing down to get a good look at the wreckage.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

a dingus posted:

I can't really decide whether I like his videos or not. I don't like him as a person, and I definitely wouldn't spend time with him or outright give him any money. But sometimes I can't tell where the satire starts and where it ends and I think that is funny. And if it isn't satire? Then call me a rubberneck because sometimes I enjoy slowing down to get a good look at the wreckage.

I can't tell if he's actually like that or it's just a character. My guess is somewhere in the middle.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

luchadornado posted:

I was curious, so here's all you need to know:

oh it's the (As a Millionaire) guy!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

a dingus posted:

to be fair all of these people should be screwed over

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The algoexpert guy and his commercials are some of the most insufferable things on YouTube. What did he do? Didn't he only work at Google for a year or something?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I've been an informal team lead before but in the new year I'll be given some formal leadership responsibilities for the first time with two software engineers (one is a grad) reporting to me. I don't expect to be amazing because I've never done it before but I'm keen to learn how to be good at it. Does anyone have advice for first-time leadership/management, or stories from when they were new to it?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AgentF posted:

I've been an informal team lead before but in the new year I'll be given some formal leadership responsibilities for the first time with two software engineers (one is a grad) reporting to me. I don't expect to be amazing because I've never done it before but I'm keen to learn how to be good at it. Does anyone have advice for first-time leadership/management, or stories from when they were new to it?

Do your 1 on 1s. Even if its just chatting, but it's important to staying engaged. Frequently just letting people vent for a minute makes a huge difference.

Always be thinking about "What's next" for your team and your people. Don't think just because someone is quiet that they are content. Sometimes people won't engage to grow, but always provide those opportunities.

Try to find time to prioritize fixing those small annoyances for your team. If their remote, do they have all the equipment they can get from the company? Do they have access to stuff that could help? Those small things pile up.

Related, give your people time to learn. Even if it's not directly related to their current job, learning skills should just be built in. We're moving to K8s so I setup a little ~3 hour set of videos and even some hands on stuff for people to do, even if their a FE engineer who'll never really need to know anything.

Make sure you have a good mentor. You'll make mistakes, say the wrong thing, and having someone to talk to can help a ton.

There is no such thing as taking too much time hiring. There's this perverse incentive among managers like "Oh I hired 4 people in 2 weeks", that's almost always including a bad hire and a bad hire will eat your time more than any hiring cycle. Invest heavy and if you don't find what you're looking for, keep looking. It's honestly the single most important thing a leader does.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah 100% agree do your 1:1s if you can't do that just quit now

Your job is to protect their time and allow them to finish the work they're given, as well as reject work your team is incapable of finishing

Make your boss look good

If you can't mentor them, you should be lining them up with a mentor, outside of the company is a great idea so they get outside perspective

If your team fails, you're the neck to choke, don't blame the team, ever, the blame falls to you

Gibbon
Feb 22, 2004
chang chang!
Read "The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change by Camille Fournier"
It covers almost everything you need to know, with a big emphasis on 1on1s to echo the responses above.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

as well as reject work your team is incapable of finishing

If I could have one wish I wish my manager would do this even some of the time

Above all else this is what will drive me out after vesting

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Nthing 1:1s. Don't stop doing them ever, even if they don't seem useful to you, they might be to your report. If they aren't today, they might be next week or next sprint or whatever. I would also suggest staying out of technical conversations. If you need to pair program or dig into a difficult bug that should be it's own thing and not take up 1:1 time.

Ask questions about this person's career. Know what they want to do in the near and long term, look for opportunities to get them to where they need to be to do these things. Be realistic about whether or not they are able to do these things on your team. As mentioned above, if they need mentorship in something you can't mentor them in, arrange for a mentor from outside your team or maybe even your company.

Feedback is important, and it goes both ways. You should be giving feedback to your reports constantly. Performance reviews should not contain any surprises. You should also be taking feedback from your reports and following up to make sure that corrective feedback was correctly interpreted and share any progress you made towards the corrections.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Gibbon posted:

Read "The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change by Camille Fournier"
It covers almost everything you need to know, with a big emphasis on 1on1s to echo the responses above.

Seconding this as a great book, especially for someone moving from IC to Management (first few chapters). I have some small quibbles but overall its an amazing book for tech and I've even suggested chapters to non-tech friends.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Anybody moved to the Portland area and figured out how to get around the gray murk? We're thinking of moving up there and the only real concern I have is the seasonal affective disorder I am pretty sure I demonstrated when I dealt with stuff like that in college in Rochester, NY.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have some very interesting stories to tell about SAD from my 12 years living in the PNW. The weather certainly selects for a very specific type of person

The long and short is: there's a reason why so many people live in Florida, despite it being a giant alligator infested swamp, and rarely leave

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Not moving to a city that makes you depressed seems like the best option unless it's unavoidable.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
vacation heavily in the winter, take vitamins, get a lamp.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're giving advice about moving to the PNW to someone with SAD, I think it's important to note how many consecutive winters you've spent there

The year we left, my mom got settled in Texas and my dad followed us the following spring. That winter the sun did not shine for a record 180 days. It's hard to describe that kind of soulless grey existence

"get a lamp" is just, sigh

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There's one major difference: Portland isn't an arctic deathscape outside the whole winter and there are still a bunch of evergreen trees. I've been to Portland on trips in the winter and it didn't seem to really hit me. Then again, I wasn't there for, like, three straight weeks. Also, I didn't get SAD, but I'd earn myself a shiny sinus infection more than once. That seems to have been fixed with some surgery and other treatment.

The 180-day thing is the kind of thing I should keep in mind. You look at the number of sunny days in an area and don't think too poorly of it. What's probably a better indicator is how many sunny days there are in, like, February.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Why are the options an arctic deathscape or gray murk? You work in tech so even ignoring remote there are high paying jobs across the US in pretty much every climate and political option available. California has SF, LA, and San Diego with great weather in all three. Texas, Florida, Atlanta, and DC are all options with a general lack of deathscape or murk.

Portland is literally the second cloudiest city in the US if heavy cloud cover is the metric and the sixth for partial. I thought it was much better than Seattle having lived for several years in both, but that's not statistically accurate.and both are way way worse than SF.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
We moved to CT last year, and I'm thinking the answer here is just that we're going to have to become morning people... Waking up is so hard! >_<

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

asur posted:

Why are the options an arctic deathscape or gray murk? You work in tech so even ignoring remote there are high paying jobs across the US in pretty much every climate and political option available. California has SF, LA, and San Diego with great weather in all three. Texas, Florida, Atlanta, and DC are all options with a general lack of deathscape or murk.
My wife wants some acreage where stuff will grow, things are quiet, and water exists so she can do flower farming. So this takes me out of the immediate surroundings of major cities--including Portland in that regard. But stuff does grow there.

There are some other options going along the East Coast but I'm just posting about Portland here so that there's something to concentrate on.

I was just giving Rochester as an example of what did bother me when I was younger. I might actually be fine in Portland but I haven't really been there for a protracted enough amount of time to be able to tell accurately. I wasn't ever actually diagnosed with SAD, but rather it was something I picked up on afterwards.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

If you're giving advice about moving to the PNW to someone with SAD, I think it's important to note how many consecutive winters you've spent there

The year we left, my mom got settled in Texas and my dad followed us the following spring. That winter the sun did not shine for a record 180 days. It's hard to describe that kind of soulless grey existence

"get a lamp" is just, sigh

sorry, get a SAD lamp. they simulate sunlight.

i’ve lived in the PNW for a decade now and had to deal with SAD when i lived in vermont for another five. if you’re not down with grey overcast days personally then that’s fine, but the actual physical effects can be managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In my house, every lamp is a sad lamp