Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for an incident after being "rejected" at the arcade? (hard to explain, please read)

/r/relationships: an ambassador for the dance game community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

YTA expert dance game players are always huge assholes and a parent with a child is not necessarily going to be in on your ~gamer courtesy code~

Let me drunkenly gently caress up the steps in peace :negative:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sorry for the screencaps or if this was posted already but um. WhtA The gently caress?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

value-brand cereal posted:

Sorry for the screencaps or if this was posted already but um. WhtA The gently caress?

OP's husband needs a CT scan and a psychiatric eval stat.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

value-brand cereal posted:

"We should turn off the lights and faucets during the day."

"And yet you choose not to be a mechanic. Curious! I am very intelligent."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is... uh... um... wow...

Is this some kind of poltergeist?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The rare cousin to gaslighting, faucetrunning.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

8one6 posted:

This, he sounds insane

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He's unemployed and presumably financially dependent on his wife, so I'm guessing this is his completely insane way of trying to exert control and have power over something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hallo spacedog posted:

This, he sounds insane
This is *definitely* some bullshit like "you're a service adviser, but you could be a mechanic. Instead of $12 an hour you could make $35 and then I could afford a PS5!"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

FilthyImp posted:

This is *definitely* some bullshit like "you're a service adviser, but you could be a mechanic. Instead of $12 an hour you could make $35 and then I could afford a PS5!"

Wtf, thanks for translating lunatic for me. I'm guessing he doesn't know you can't just be a mechanic out of nowhere, like you have to learn poo poo and all that?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is it unfair for me to ask my boyfriend to do something he feels uncomfortable with?

quote:

I (24F) met a guy (22M) online without the intention of dating him. I like chit chats so we were just gonna talk and stuff. But of course things got flirty and we decided to date. He is my first boyfriend. This guy feels right and he is very sweet. I am not pretty so I don't think I have the right to be picky. So when we were talking at first maybe for a few months we hadn't seen each other's face. He never asked me to show mine which I'm relieved but I couldn't help but wish I looked beautiful so I'd be more confident to show him myself. Fast forward I realized I love him so much that I don't want to feel like I'm hiding anymore. So I did it. Scariest thing I've done so far. Show him myself even with the risk of him leaving me because I'm not decent looking.

I was so relieved when he reacted positively. He accepted my imperfections and I fell even deeper. Months passed and I was always hinting I wanted to see his face too. It's like he's not real since we only talk online. Seeing him would give me a face to think about. But it has been more than a year and he still hasn't shown me. He always says it makes him uncomfortable and it turns out he has the same insecurities as me. And I totally get it. But it has been a year and a half almost. Sure he sends mirror selfies lately, with his face mostly covered, of course. And these mirror selfies only come once or twice a month. Not even consistently. I just wonder, I'm willing to face my biggest insecurities for him, but he cant do the same for me.

At some point, we broke up because of this. I told him how this is what I want and that this is what would make him more real to me. Not just some notifications I get frequently. Even in my imagination his face is that stupid bitmoji he has on snapchat. I just want us to be like a normal couple. To my disappointment he chose breaking up with me over showing me his face. But I love him too much.

Obviously we're still together, and from our recent fight I told him I'd be more patient and he could take his time. He said he'd try to take pictures for me but not the kind that I want. But occasionally I have these urges to force him again and I always try my hardest not to. He says the more I force him, the farther I get from seeing him. I couldn't care less HOW he looks like. I just want to SEE him. Is that too much to ask?

Let me add that I don't think he is trying to hide his age or anything like that because I've seen him. But it was an accident (flipped camera by mistake ) TWICE but it was so quick that I don't really remember what he looked like. But he is not some old dude. He looked fine. Just scared and insecure i think.

TL;DR: I asked (basically forced) my boyfriend to show me his face which he repeatedly refused because he is very insecure about his looks (me too). I told him I don't care HOW he looks but he'd rather break up with me than show me. But it's been over a year. I love him and just don't know what to do. I don't want to lose him.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I looked up that post and sorry for cross posting it here. Turns out that was just regular straight up gaslighting / financial abuse and the OP might be having difficulty safely leaving him in her country. My bad, I thought it was funny weird cishet relationship, and not like, unfunny abuse.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is it unfair for me to ask my boyfriend to do something he feels uncomfortable with?

This is a typo and they meant to type 12 and 14, right?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I hope this relationship lasts. Two weirdos locked away in their separate rooms, never meeting each other.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sorry, you cant love someone that you've never actually met. You only love an idea.

Tell this lady to watch a season of Catfish or something

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Also a solution not remotely easily implementable with housing laws in the majority of Western countries (and I don't know about others) without paying lawyers to do a lot of strangeness.

This is exactly how my housing situation is (we own a part of the building equal to the size of our apartment, this gives us the right to live in our apartment as if we owned it outright, the "rent" we pay each month is our percentage of the maintenance etc fees and if we ever move out we can only sell at a fixed price)
Except for having a lawyer look at the economy of the housing organisation we bought into, there was no strangeness or getting around existing laws. Because this kind of housing already has its own laws. And we very much live in a western country.
There a also nonprofit housing companies where you still rent, but all the tenants own the housing company together.

Obviously all of this is about to be destroyed because of global late stage capitalism, but it exists in the Western world and has for 100+ years

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Motronic posted:

And back to the reason this began in the thread as I understand it: a co-op buy in is not nearly as achievable as "renting an apartment", and a lot of people simply can't achieve that. I sure as hell couldn't for a lot for a lot of my life, so whenever I see the "guillotine all landlords" thing I'm left wondering exactly what the gently caress early 20s me would have done for housing if I didn't have the option to rent.

And by that I mean realistically, not in an imagined universe where everything can change immediately and at a whim because you posted about it on the internet and got some likes/comments/upvotes. None of this solves the housing problem, which is all because of financial inequality. People owning/renting multiple properties for profit is a SYMPTOM, not a cause. You don't fix things by treating symptoms.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

In most countries there isn't any shortage of housing. What there is instead is a shortage of affordable housing. This is a problem very easily solved by expropriating the properties into a fully nationalised social housing program with extremely strict price controls on any private residential properties remaining.

Housing is basic human right and should never be allowed to become commodified.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to help my sister financially?

quote:

Hey, this is a throw away account since I have friends in my official one.

Let me give you the relevant background: me(32F) and my twin sister have a great-uncle, he and his husband are child free and we are the only kids in the whole family.

When we were highschool freshmen he sat us down and told us that he would like to leave his practice (orthodontics) to us if we want to.

I agreed and worked hard for it. My sister on the other hand always wanted to be a homemaker, nothing wrong with that.

When we were accepted to college he paid for mine, and gave an equal amount to her that she used on a big wedding and a grand honeymoon.

Her husband has a great job but they have always been deep in debt because they like to keep up with the Joneses (new car each year, grand vacations, kids in private school and a ton of extracurriculars)

Two years ago I finally was able to join my uncle's practice, so he transferred everything to my name and left his huge paid off house in a gated community to my sister. Then he and his husband moved to Florida to live the life.

It was just bad luck that a few months later COVID hit and the practice strated suffering. And that's when my sister started on the gloating, about how she was the smarter twin in the end, how she ended up with a paid for house and a great family while I was an old maid with a worthless practice.

I ignored her remarques the same as I have been doing for years. Then restrictions eased and I started making money. I just bought a condo and a Tesla.

2 days ago she visited me, then she asked me for 20k. Apparently they took a mortgage on their house because her husband lost his job, and now they are behind on their house payments, car payments, all the bills and the kids' tuition.

I was sympathetic, offered to help her budget, said that if they gave back their cars I could pay the difference and get them a used one. Also that I would get them current on essential bills and get them food but that was that.

She got angry, said I was a bad sister and that I was lording the fact that I was a successful doctor over her, that I wanted to see her brought low.

I couldn't accept the disrespect in my own house so I asked her to leave and to only contact me when she was ready to apologize and act rational about her situation. She called me a bitch and left. Then she blocked me from everywhere and went whining to our parents.

I still think that I am in the right, but I don't want to see my nephews and niece become homeless. So AITA?

man i wish i had orthodontist money

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Captain Fargle posted:

In most countries there isn't any shortage of housing. What there is instead is a shortage of affordable housing. This is a problem very easily solved by expropriating the properties into a fully nationalised social housing program with extremely strict price controls on any private residential properties remaining.

Housing is basic human right and should never be allowed to become commodified.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is something sick in the world inasmuch as singapore, which has already done that and did everything, has a housing crisis

(imported from the prc, which has hosed it up completely and totally in remarkable ways, unfortunately)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Singapore has its own problems iirc mostly rooted in the idea of the nuclear family as the rule for living.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hughlander posted:

AITA for getting mad because my gf let her brother stay in our apartment without permission?

OP posted:

Also, I'm sure parents passing away is horrible, but he wasn't even there when they died so he wasn't involved in some kind of traumatic accident, and it's been over 3 years, which is more than enough time to recover. It's not like I was going to kick out an orphaned 16-year-old, but it's been years since then and he's an adult. I'm just asking him to play his part.

r/relationships: he wasn't even there when they died, so

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

three years is nothing what the gently caress

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I feel like highschools need a mandatory weeklong "someone you've only ever met online isn't an actual boyfriend/girlfriend" course.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mx. posted:

Allow the children to live there so that you, too, may raise an Orthodonic scion. Teach them to be industrious and practical so that they do not repeat the sins of the parents.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like highschools need a mandatory weeklong "someone you've only ever met online isn't an actual boyfriend/girlfriend" course.

I mean they could but let’s be real it wouldn’t do much

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are two more updates. :smith:

Man, I read poo poo like this and I count my blessings that my mom and dad both considered themselves equals who excelled at different poo poo and both knew it - none of this hosed-up ‘head of household’ poo poo.

I want a partner, not an underling or sycophant, I’ll never understand those doofuses who want to hear ‘yes dear, whatever you say’ all the time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for refusing to return my $400 wedding dress like my fiancè requested?

quote:

I (f27) have been with my fiance for 2 years. He's 32, divorced doctor and lived in another town but we moved in together 7 months ago and got engaged. Unlike my exes, he's a decent, level-headed guy though he can be a bit overdramatic when it comes to financials.

Growing up I've always dreamed of what my wedding dress will look like. I went wedding dress shopping with friends although my fiance wanted to go with me like he always does but of course he couldn't. I purchased a really really nice wedding dress that I instantly fell in love with. It is perfect in every aspect and it only cost $400 that's a great deal since wedding dress tend to be expensive here. When I got back and was so thrilled my fiance asked to see it then asked how much it cost.

When I told him he was in dismay and started complaining saying I wasted that much money on a colorless dress that I'll wear for just few hours and should've bought a 150$ dress or less. I said no wedding dresses are huge deal to every bride. He argued about how weddings and everything that come with them are just part of the laws our society keeps enforcing on us and that only smart brides save money instead of blowing it all on... a dress. I replied that I didn't appreciate how he belittled my joy with the dres and he said he didn't think he is entering a marriage with a financially responsible woman which is a huge problem and demanded I fix my mistake and return the dress and get a cheaper one asap. I said that was ridiculous since I worked and paid for the dress with my money and also I care about the type of wedding dress I want to wear in my big day and every bride want to look their best in their dream wedding dress he obviously has no idea.

He laughed at me asking if I was even listening to myself talking like a spoiled 16 year old about her "future dream wedding". He said I was wrong for not consulting him about the dress before buying it otherwise we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Long story short I refused to return it and he pitched a fit calling me irresponsible and childish for being okay with blowing that much money on a dress even though we're doing well financially but he was having none of it. He left after saying I have xyz days to return the dress and we'll talk. He texted saying he doesn't understand how I'm choosing a dress over him and acting inconsiderate of his feelings since he's the one I'm marrying and not the Goddamn dress.

He hasn't talked to me since then and keeping redirecting my messages and calls. AITA?

I see this marriage lasting long.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

8one6 posted:

I have hands. I could be a surgeon. Time to rearrange some organs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PancakeTransmission posted:

Sorry, you cant love someone that you've never actually met. You only love an idea.

Tell this lady to watch a season of Catfish or something

The building I work at is kinda centrally located in a large civilian city (military here). And about once every couple of months we have random women show up to pick up their "boyfriend".

There's somebody out there catfishing these woman out of thousands of dollars using stories, and photos, of some random Soldier to sell them a story about secret missions and other bullshit. He finishes with the women by telling them that he's gotten in trouble and is being held at our facility. I have no idea why.

These VERY angry women show up beating on our doors/windows/gates demanding we release him. It's happened so much that we actually have a policy of bringing them inside, showing them around (it's just a loving office) and explaining what catfishing is and that it has happened to them.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

thekeeshman posted:

I love it when modern leftists decide that the answer to the housing crisis is co-ops, otherwise known as the only residential legal structure that tends to be more racist and classist than HOAs.

Dealing with Co-op committee bullshit is so widely known to be terrible that co-op apartments sell at a discount to comparable condos (in NYC at least).

This is roughly how I feel when I hear leftists (in America no less) insisting that the solution to racism in police forces is organizing vigilante militias in their place.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Cowslips Warren posted:

She should keep the dress but offer to go wedding dress shopping with him to see if they can find anything better for cheaper but hit up as many higher end stores as possible. Maybe once he sees a bunch of four digit prices he'll shut up.

And then she should dump him for being an idiot unless he pulls his head out of his rear end.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t think the solution to the housing crisis is co-ops; I think the solution is more building. I recognize you can’t just transition overnight by fiat from a commodified real estate market to a cooperative system. It’s a goal, and I still think a better way to organize non-permanent housing than the rent system, but it would come as the last step of a larger reform program which would involve cultural as well as economic changes.

People who advance these positions have usually thought them through! I know it’s fun to assume everyone you disagree with is an idiot proposing the stupidest version of their idea that you can imagine, but that’s not usually the case!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Those prices are definitely missing a zero or two from the tone of the post.. Guy needs to really adjust his expectations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mx. posted:

That uncle is the coolest dude on the planet

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

People who advance these positions have usually thought them through! I know it’s fun to assume everyone you disagree with is an idiot proposing the stupidest version of their idea that you can imagine, but that’s not usually the case!

Counterpoint, the people smart enough to think these things through are almost certainly smart enough to not spend ten bucks to post on a forum that is both dead and gay.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t think the solution to the housing crisis is co-ops; I think the solution is more building.

Every year some article comes out saying there's estimated to be more vacant homes then homeless people in America

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mx. posted:

Lol

Onto landlord stuff. Be kind and let friends and family crash with you for free if you ever have the opportunity to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counterpoint, the people smart enough to think these things through are almost certainly smart enough to not spend ten bucks to post on a forum that is both dead and gay.

Joining Something Awful is both how I became a communist and how I ended up as a trustee for a mutual aid society.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 13, 2021