Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

who is ready for our green new future

830 HP
0-60 in 3.5 loving SECONDS
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

whoa the canyonero is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

830 HP
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

Wow this is so over the top and cartoonish it's actually cool

Horseshoe theory is real

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Fitzy Fitz posted:

mind boggling that there are countless regulations on vehicles but apparently none of them say you can't build them unnecessarily large

the opposite actually, the regulations say they have to be enormous

then since everything's enormous the regulations say everything has to be stronger to survive getting hit by a 2020 ram overcompensator doing 75 down a residential street.

which means everything's heavier with all the extra metal, which makes emissions worse, which means more of the fleet have to be extra-large to not be part of the emissions pool which means...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this looks like a parody commercial lmao

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

actionjackson posted:

830 HP
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

there’s a house near where I work with one of every iteration of the consumer grade humvee all decked out in aloha gear and Hawaii themed vanity plates can’t wait to see this in person

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lol that’s 60% of the weight of a m1151 up-armored Humvee, the most common vehicle used by the US in Iraq, with all of its armor and its powered turret, but no weapons or ammunition

i hope these throw half-shafts with the same frequency lmao

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Blackhawk posted:

At what point do you say that the pissweak drivers license training and testing in most countries just isn't enough for somebody to be able to safely drive some of these cars?

I mean the time for this was the 50s, at the latest, if it was ever going to happen. our assumptions about necessary driver safety haven’t significantly evolved since the Model T. it’s like boiling a frog except actually you’re giving the frog a cute toy gun and then a cap gun then a mini crossbow and eventually the frog has a loaded .45 magnum and you still act like it’s a funny novelty frog

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sports cars have gotten real crazy in the past 10 years, you can buy 600-1000 hp cars stock and get yourself into a whole new dimension of trouble really quickly.

The cars are all so fast it's not really practical anymore, you can't actually use all that power on roads or even the smaller tracks so they are resorting to gimmicks like removing the windshield to give you more driving feel and stand out from all the other fast cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD-4teTIBXw&t=400s

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

who is ready for our green new futureh

830 HP
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

Lol it has 11,500ft-lbs of torque... I kept thinking it was towing capacity but no literally 100x the torque of a regular car. ALso some bullshit four wheel steering they call CRABWALK mode and cameras for the undercarriage so you can look at the pedestrians you run over.

Oh yeah, and "hands free driving" so this monstrosity will be let loose on the very streets you travel on :theroni:

I'm cackling w gleeful anticipation

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Have to admit to owning a Honda Fit when commuting to a previous job, as there was literally no public transit or carpooling options available. It was ridiculous, would take the train out as far as the line would go but still needed to drive the car the last few dozen miles from the train garage to my job. Was super happy to switch jobs and sell the thing.

Anyway I saw a Honda Fit in traffic the other day and it looked like a tiny toy car wedged in between all the SUVs, incongruous and something that clearly didn't belong on the same road. All cars should be destroyed obvs so distinguishing between them is irrelevant, but North American consumers aren't making the best auto choices overall.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

actionjackson posted:

830 HP
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

this kind of dipshittery is what destroys roads and if we had a functioning democracy, taxpayers would end up paying more to get the potholes fixed, but taxpayers already pay and get stiffed on public maintenance

the free market sure seems to have a way of complicating and putting stress on the taxpayer for some insecure special needs to get their validation fix in a country that intentionally deprives you of it to sell you crap like this

the pandemic has been so illuminating in this regard

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress cars but just from a design perspective this thing is pretty badass looking, it's pretty much vaporwave the car

https://twitter.com/slate_akita/status/1458822858122088452

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

remember the cadillac truck lol

https://www.cars.com/research/cadillac-escalade_ext/

who is this thing marketed at again?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh cool, nostalgia vibes garbage is moving from large headed toys into the field of 10,000 pound child pulpers. I bet it doesnt even have a cigarette lighter and an ash tray, just absolute Disney poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

actionjackson posted:

gently caress cars but just from a design perspective this thing is pretty badass looking, it's pretty much vaporwave the car

https://twitter.com/slate_akita/status/1458822858122088452

wrong, its loving sad

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Oh cool, nostalgia vibes garbage is moving from large headed toys into the field of 10,000 pound child pulpers. I bet it doesnt even have a cigarette lighter and an ash tray, just absolute Disney poo poo

concept cars are virtually never actually made. there's another concept that has this intriguing feature

https://twitter.com/Bulldonezer/status/1459152561836015617

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its snowed for days now wonder if the city plowed any of the sidewalks, if not time to walk on the road and do battle with cars.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

surely it counts if they plowed the roads and covered the sidewalks with snow

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
an arsonist destroying a concept car is a million times cooler than a concept car

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Arson is well known to be among the coolest crimes though

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Arson is well known to be among the coolest crimes though

The coolest is regicide but arson is like 2nd or 3rd

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Animal Friend posted:

The coolest is regicide but arson is like 2nd or 3rd

arson is the seasoning that flavors other crimes. yeah regicide is great - but have you tried regicide AND arson??

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

how many royals have to die in car crashes before we do something??

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Nocturtle posted:

Have to admit to owning a Honda Fit when commuting to a previous job, as there was literally no public transit or carpooling options available. It was ridiculous, would take the train out as far as the line would go but still needed to drive the car the last few dozen miles from the train garage to my job. Was super happy to switch jobs and sell the thing.

Anyway I saw a Honda Fit in traffic the other day and it looked like a tiny toy car wedged in between all the SUVs, incongruous and something that clearly didn't belong on the same road. All cars should be destroyed obvs so distinguishing between them is irrelevant, but North American consumers aren't making the best auto choices overall.

The fit has been discontinued in the US. Small-ish cars will not be tolerated by the invisible hand.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I cant stop laughing about that electric Hummer, satire is dead w content like this

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

i hate cars

I saw a guy assume test driving an suv (still had the dealer price tag in the window) but he parked it in a bike lane on a major road to look at it from the outside

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Literally just turn the steering wheel

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

reducing evidence left behind by strafing by the child’s body rather than tracking blood on your tires

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Vomik posted:

reducing evidence left behind by strafing by the child’s body rather than tracking blood on your tires

yes, and you can watch them die in real time

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

actionjackson posted:

830 HP
18 feet long
over 7 feet wide
almost 7 feet high

9000 loving POUNDS

i wonder how a couple-decade-old multi-story parking garage will take a few of these parked in there at once

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/siropsalot/status/1458882991795675147?s=21

nothing means anything. car culture is built upon a foundation of sand

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Blackhawk posted:

No joke a lot of people have been saying that cars have been getting too fast for a while now. It's bad enough with ICE cars, which have been getting more and more powerful for decades now but EV's are even worse because it's extremely easy to make them accelerate insanely fast in a straight line but very difficult to make them handle well around corners due to the weight, so manufacturers just push the straight-line acceleration as hard as possible as the selling point.

Check out this review of the T*la model S plaid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn9QWjxFPKM

That's what you get when a fraudulent company with incompetent engineers and management turns out a production car with over 1000 HP at a (relatively) cheap price that also weighs a million tons. Yeah it goes insanely fast in a straight line but the brakes are absolutely inadequate at slowing down that much weight from those speeds, and because it's electric and relatively quiet you don't get anywhere near as much feedback about how fast you're going. The average shithead driver is ABSOLUTELY going to get that thing going faster than they thought, get into trouble and find out that the brakes and their reaction time is inadequate to avoid a massive crash.

At what point do you say that the pissweak drivers license training and testing in most countries just isn't enough for somebody to be able to safely drive some of these cars?

Tesla makes garbage cars and has a garbage founder.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This owns. And reminds me of the story of the drivers of the corvette chassis's that are driven in Mexico since a selling point is for all the Corvettes to be "built" in Bowling Green. So capitalism dictates that the mechanicals are all built for cheap in Mexico, then "final assembly" occurs in bowling green where they "legally" become cars. They drive the chassis to a warehouse where they are loaded onto trucks to ship them across the border.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Tesla makes garbage cars and has a garbage founder.

please, elong didn't start tesla, he just bought the founder's edition

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

lil poopendorfer posted:

yes, and you can watch them die in real time

Ahahhhahah why are they pretending that even more than 1% of these will ever go off-road for longer than it takes to test it out the week after somebody bought it? Nobody buys this poo poo to go off road, just like the billion other gigantic trucks and SUV's rolling around to the shops or work filled with fast food bags and children.

I remember reading somewhere that the rate of road surface damage goes up proportional to the weight of the vehicle to the fourth power, so uhhh yeah good luck with keeping the roads in usable condition once everyone transitions to EV trucks and SUVs that weigh twice as much as they already do. Also vehicle taxation/registration an licensing fees should absolutely scale by the mass of the vehicle to offset the disproportional amount of damage larger vehicles do to the road.

I weep at how hosed and stupid everything is, I used to work in the rail industry (for a huge global company making train components) and it was so clear how at least in places like Australia and New Zealand public transport decisions were being insanely hosed up because of our garbage democratic system of governance. Basically a city like Sydney would want to put in some new addition to its train network (Sydney already has a pretty decent heavy-rail network) but heavy-rail is expensive and takes a long time to build, and whichever government currently in power wants it done in a few years max so that they can show the voters something before election time.

And so in comes 'light-rail' which is basically taking a tram, which is a perfectly fine mode of transport in the right circumstance, and stretching it to be the length of a normal train and pretending that it is a train. This is because 'light-rail' is cheaper and faster to build, so you get to show off how quickly and cheaply you added this new infrastructure within one election cycle. Unfortunately trams are designed to move people relatively short distances, they're supposed to be small but frequent so you can have high throughput, they're typically limited to low speeds like ~50 kph and have very minimal seating because they're supposed to be crammed full of people who are only riding them a few minutes at a time.

Sydney 'light-rail' trams are between 33 and 45 meters long (about 150 feet) which at one point I think was the longest tram in the world, have a top speed of 70 kph but are often much slower than that and are operated just like a regular train with limited linear lines and fairly infrequent services. They run almost exclusively on dedicated off-road tracks built specifically for the system but because they're trams and not heavy-rail they can't operate on any of the existing heavy-rail infrastructure. Also for whatever reason out of the three existing light-rail lines built one of them follows different track and platform specifications to the other two, so vehicles can't even be shared between the light-rail lines on the same network. Sydney also has -another- metro rail system recently built which is also incompatible with both the existing heavy AND light-rail systems, and the three largest Australian states all operate different heavy-rail track gauges and so none can share vehicles or a common rail network...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

I weep at how hosed and stupid everything is

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The city of Adelaide electrified their passenger train network a while ago as it was previously all diesel trains. Except the last time I was there for whatever reason they didn't electrify the section of track from the main network to the maintenance depot, and so every electric train going into or out of the depot had to be pushed in and out by a diesel locomotive...

This is the same city that for the longest time had the worlds longest tidal-flow highway, that is the entire highway was one-direction one way in the morning, and then changed to one-direction the other way in the afternoon.

We as a species (and many other species, and basically the entire biosphere) are hosed as long as we're under capitalist liberal democracies, anything just fiddling around the edges of that as a fundamental system is ultimately a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Blackhawk posted:

I weep at how hosed and stupid everything is, I used to work in the rail industry (for a huge global company making train components) and it was so clear how at least in places like Australia and New Zealand public transport decisions were being insanely hosed up because of our garbage democratic system of governance. Basically a city like Sydney would want to put in some new addition to its train network (Sydney already has a pretty decent heavy-rail network) but heavy-rail is expensive and takes a long time to build, and whichever government currently in power wants it done in a few years max so that they can show the voters something before election time.

This is the biggest issue in Toronto as well, every incoming government completely scraps the outgoing government's plans and starts anew because they want to be the ones who Did The Thing, and then they get a quarter of the way through the process before being ousted and it all starts over again.