Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mister Facetious posted:

I wonder if hackable switch units could use a patch to allow them again... :getin:

The problem is Rockstar has been threatening legal action against the GTA modding community and has basically completely killed it. So even if the files are on the Switch version and could be restored with a patch, it might be difficult to find someone willing to risk Rockstar suing them to release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When we say “the GTA Remastered Trilogy is a busted port of the phone version of these games” we are not using hyperbole, it’s literally the cell phone versions of these games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxY_S0XD8E

Like, PC users flipped the flags to add touch screen control buttons back on. It’s a badly ported port of a PS2 game made for PS3 era cell phones.

If you truly love these games as I do, don’t disrespect them by playing them in this way.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I haven't picked up the GTA trilogy, I didn't get to play them much when I was younger so I have no nostalgia but the rain effects I've seen give me motion sickness or something. Just make me feel dizzy and I can't even watch people playing it. What an awful looking update, was it done by a mobile company or something

Anyway, 15 hours into Dragon Quest XI and it's tons of fun. I bought a used copy from Gamestop and it was still $20 more than the X-Box and Playstation versions. c'mon Nintendo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That's what's throwing me off. I'm playing Vice City and other than fat character models looking really weird, I'm not seeing any of this.

(I haven't played 3 or San Andreas yet)

i hear you, sounds like typical yotutuber complaints for clout and clicks while the games are fine. lookign forward to playing them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

When we say “the GTA Remastered Trilogy is a busted port of the phone version of these games” we are not using hyperbole, it’s literally the cell phone versions of these games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxY_S0XD8E

this isn't the one that just came out though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if you're gonna complain about the game at least look at the right ports

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

I wonder if future patches will improve performance though it really feels like the switch is really struggling to run this between sluggish menu and battle/overworld transitions and panning the camera feeling all sorts of jank

Huh. Did not notice this at all and I'm playing handheld. Everything runs smooth as butter. Odd.

Now Astria Ascending, that's a game that runs not very well. (Combat and exploration are mostly OK, but AA hurls chunks every time you go into the menus.)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it feels slightly sluggish to me too but i don't mind it enough to stop playing or even really be annoyed. i am hooked after getting my first taste of how big the world feels.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I just want to pop in and say I’ve been in a Mario mood and have been replaying Mario 3 and Super Mario World using the 8bitdo snes controller.

Both games are still perfect and own so much and it isn’t just my childhood nostalgia talking. That is all.

That said, thank gently caress for the suspend feature- I am horrific at old school 2D platformers in my old age. (Edit - the rewind feature is there! I just assumed it wasn’t)

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 13, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People just love being angry. They're little gremlins who have never known joy.

Sure it sucks that the billion dollar company who has sat on their asses and printed money with GTAV/O for the past 10 years didn't put even the tiniest bit of effort into these ports, but the amount of attention it's getting online is absurd. Go play a good game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

American McGay posted:

People just love being angry. They're little gremlins who have never known joy.

Sure it sucks that the billion dollar company who has sat on their asses and printed money with GTAV/O for the past 10 years didn't put even the tiniest bit of effort into these ports, but the amount of attention it's getting online is absurd. Go play a good game.

A remastered GTAIII and Vice City is something people have wanted for nearly 20 years because the graphics and controls aged like milk compared to San Andreas. So there's a lot to be disappointed about when this is what gets delivered AND de-lists the original releases.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I've been playing San Andreas on the Series S through Gamepass and it hasn't been that terrible. Though I did have one occasion of a cop car spawning under me.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
So what is the general consensus on the switch version of GTA. Wait for a patch? OK if you can look past a bit of jank? Avoid? Would be playing on a switch lite if that affects anything.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Shadski posted:

So what is the general consensus on the switch version of GTA. Wait for a patch? OK if you can look past a bit of jank? Avoid? Would be playing on a switch lite if that affects anything.

review bomb it on every platform, and then literally bomb rockstar's offices irl.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shadski posted:

Bust Rodd is posting reviews of an old rerelease to troll the thread

The PC version was taken down because the licensed music was still in the coding

The actual facts are this:

- gta good
- handheld mode good

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It’s good that Rockstar gave the GTA 3 trilogy remaster the respect it deserves: none.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
going to play the gtra remaster. looks fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s good that Rockstar gave the GTA 3 trilogy remaster the respect it deserves: none.

Yeah the games suck lol

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Jesus that's wild. Why couldn't/didn't they just port the original PS2/Xbox versions?
Like I'd loving pay 20, hell maybe even 40, bucks for a good port of the original VC or SA.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Jesus that's wild. Why couldn't/didn't they just port the original PS2/Xbox versions?

effort

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm getting owned by one of the later bosses in Metroid Dread. Advice would be appreciated:

It's Experiment Z-57. When he does the attack when he grips the stage with his tentacles, is he healing himself? I think I heard that. I can usually get off a missle to hit one or two tentacles but am I supposed to get all of them? If I stand in place with the storm missile I die.

Also are you supposed to do a shinespark to kill him? It seems possible but I'm not having much luck.

I learned this accidentally in a later fight, but you don't have to stand still to charge Storm Missile. You can run/jump around while it's charging, and once charged, sweep across whatever target(s).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Libluini posted:

Huh. Did not notice this at all and I'm playing handheld. Everything runs smooth as butter. Odd.

Really? It isn't hitting a steady 30 FPS on my OLED switch in handheld and it looks pretty blurry / ugly compared to docked.

I think the size of the world justifies the performance and it's an RPG so it's fine but just try to do any fast movements and move the camera quickly in the overworld. I'm seeing a bit of stutter.

Docked is a little bit better n the models are marginally improved. Basically it looks like all the gameplay previews / footage was in docked mode so the handheld graphics threw me off at first. Pop in is also not great, but I think that can't really be helped

Also, I'm not sure if the transition when exiting a menu or a battle is deliberately slow and animated to look like it chokes up for just a tiny second, or if that's the game actually loading

It feels overall slightly less snappy than nocturne which while that's so much older game, It was also criticized for poor optimization

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 13, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Also, maybe I just had unrealistic expectations because this game has been in the works for a really long time and megaten games are not known for graphics

Make no mistake. This is still an incredible experience. Just got to the first boss and it's time to restructure my team because I got wiped the gently caress out mmmmm now that's megaten

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/kotaku/status/1459570651291951104?s=21

Still containing Hot Coffee is so wild

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the games suck lol

GTA hasn’t been good since GTA 2. It took until Saints Row to do “open world street gang” right.

Saints Row 3 is still the best in the genre.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

I've been playing San Andreas on the Series S through Gamepass and it hasn't been that terrible. Though I did have one occasion of a cop car spawning under me.

That doesn't sound like a problem.

If there were a risk of them getting removed I'd get it now, because I fully intend on owning these games. I loved loving with them at my friend's place and we spent too much time just doing dumb poo poo. I would love to do that again.

---

Started LttP again and it's amazing? I don't know why we argue so much about the best Zelda games when LttP is right there.

Having a right laugh because I called myself Ganon, and it makes me smile. It's a beautiful looking game, and I love Kakariko in this game, it has so many little secrets.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HOW is this possible? Christ, they had to remove the commented-out code when that all went down.

Over/under on when Jack Thompson awakens from his internet slumber to go on the attack again?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I haven't seen any indication that Hot Coffee is actually functional in the remaster the way it was in the originals (disabled but possible to enable with save editing)

The source code for the Hot Coffee scripts is just lying around in the game package

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

HOW is this possible? Christ, they had to remove the commented-out code when that all went down.

Over/under on when Jack Thompson awakens from his internet slumber to go on the attack again?

Because, like everything else rockstar does, it’s half-assed garbage.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm guessing it must be a matter of working from an older build/source code, which explains why dev notes and stuff were uncovered too.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

b_d posted:

review bomb it on every platform, and then literally bomb rockstar's offices irl.
you're supposed to follow it up with "in Minecraft" so you can't get arrested. nothing's illegal in Minecraft

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
all you had to do was comment the drat code CJ

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Party Miser posted:

you're supposed to follow it up with "in Minecraft" so you can't get arrested. nothing's illegal in Minecraft

:imunfunny:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Switch version has all the internal tools too it owns

https://twitter.com/NationalPepper/status/1459294881139023874

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux will tell you this is actually good

https://twitter.com/infernal_monkey/status/1459090333543763972?s=21

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1459238099955838979?s=21

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol we've somehow come full circle on draw distance fog.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I can’t speak for the switch version but at least for 3 and VC on PS5 the visual improvements are mostly great and the QoL stuff essential improvements. I couldn’t see myself ever playing the originals now that this is an option. Hopefully some patches will address the more egregious stuff like the rain but overall I find the work done here to be more on the better side of things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

man nurse posted:

I can’t speak for the switch version but at least for 3 and VC on PS5 the visual improvements are mostly great and the QoL stuff essential improvements. I couldn’t see myself ever playing the originals now that this is an option. Hopefully some patches will address the more egregious stuff like the rain but overall I find the work done here to be more on the better side of things.

good to hear, looking forward to digging in after smt 5 :cheers:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

man nurse posted:

Sorry but you're not a Twitter account with 🔞 in your username so I simply can't take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stux posted:

good to hear, looking forward to digging in after smt 5 :cheers:

you think you’re going to stop playing smt5?