Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PCs in general can't take advantage of fast NVMe speeds very well when it comes to game performance. There's barely any difference in load times when comparing a slow NVMe to a fast one.

edit: there's barely any difference when comparing a SATA SSD to a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe in most circumstances. This may change in the future as game developers actually add multithreaded decompression algorithms to their game engines in order to take advantage of the new console SSDs, but it seems like that will be a somewhat slow change in the industry.

Smaller SSDs like the 256 and 512GB drives Valve is using in the steam deck do have lower IOPS scores, but not enough to actually matter when it comes to game loading.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Remember when everyone said I was a crazy luddite for claiming that running stuff off the sd card would work perfectly fine. That was funny.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has anyone ever had an SD card that lasted more than 1 year? I have to replace my dashcam SD card every year or so because the files always gets corrupted. I'm not using no name cards too, I have tried sandisk and samsung and the results are the same.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lostleaf posted:

Has anyone ever had an SD card that lasted more than 1 year? I have to replace my dashcam SD card every year or so because the files always gets corrupted. I'm not using no name cards too, I have tried sandisk and samsung and the results are the same.

Your dashcam is constantly overwriting the entire card every day or two, it's like the worst-case scenario for flash memory short of throwing it in a fire or something. I've got some microSD cards i just keep music and backup files on that are better part of a decade old and still fine

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 13, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The SD card in my Switch has been in there since launch day and most of my games are installed on it and it works fine.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Your dashcam is constantly overwriting the entire card, it's like the worst-case scenario for flash memory short of throwing it in a fire or something. I've got some microSD cards i just keep music and backup files on that are better part of a decade old and still fine

Also the extreme heat of being in a car during the day in the summer time. I know my dash cam specifically asks to use their own cards just because they last longer. But the manual still says the camera shouldn't be in a car when it is hot out. Not that anyone listens to that part (hell, I'm just as guilty), but it is there. I've got really old cards I still use. From years and years ago and they still work fine. In fact, I have worse luck when it comes to usb flash drives. With one that I wrote some back ups on to and then when attempting to view it later had the drive be corrupted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Veotax posted:

The SD card in my Switch has been in there since launch day and all of my games are installed on it and it works fine.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

How's the d-pad on the Deck? Haven't been able to find any reliable impressions about that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Information from a developer presentation Valve gave recently: https://videocardz.com/newz/valve-details-steam-deck-hardware-the-amd-zen2-rdna2-soc-is-codenamed-aerith

Relevant to a topic that has come up several times:

Valve is claiming that loading games off of an SD card will take only 18% longer than off the NVMe. Again, raw read/write throughput is one of the less important specs when it comes to game load performance. Random read/write performance as well as CPU performance are much more important, and SD cards have better random read/write performance than HDDs. I doubt Valve is trying to mislead anyone with these slides, so they probably accurately reflect the testing they've done internally, though independent analysis once the thing is out will be necessary to explore all the ins and outs of the steam deck's storage systems.

lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

absolutely insane graphs, very funny

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The graph is correct in the standalone upload of the talk on the Steamworks YouTube account.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLckFgM6dUP2hEldl56jT6ZQ5ciCD0ZPUz

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Steam Deck: Delayed Because of Chain Supply for Optional Walled Garden

new thread title

also the Switch emulation discussion caused me to take a look at that for the first hard time and 15 mins later I was playing Metroid and Mario U2 on my PC at 1440p lmao :rubby:

I guess that's a device I won't be buying back

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Congrats on your theft

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stealing Mario is a PC tradition.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s fine if you only download/play it/delete it after 24 hours

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, on the upside, once they get their deck, they'll have the fabled switch pro everyone kept hoping lite and oled models were going to be.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

excpet the part where it plays switch games yes. absoltuely.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kids today will never know the thrill of loading up a floppy disk with a gameboy emulator and a copy of pokemon blue and sneaking it into computer class

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Kids today will never know the thrill of loading up a floppy disk with a gameboy emulator and a copy of pokemon blue and sneaking it into computer class

Does sneaking in with a boot disk containing a custom config and autoexec to run star control 2 count as well? Also while in programing college in class, remoting into a shell account to irc chat with friends and ignore the teacher.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

PCs in general can't take advantage of fast NVMe speeds very well when it comes to game performance. There's barely any difference in load times when comparing a slow NVMe to a fast one.

edit: there's barely any difference when comparing a SATA SSD to a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe in most circumstances. This may change in the future as game developers actually add multithreaded decompression algorithms to their game engines in order to take advantage of the new console SSDs, but it seems like that will be a somewhat slow change in the industry.

Smaller SSDs like the 256 and 512GB drives Valve is using in the steam deck do have lower IOPS scores, but not enough to actually matter when it comes to game loading.

I find it weird that load times are still a reference as many games and many engines are based around streaming assets. The initial load time has become comparibly irrelevant in todays games worlds... but no one wants their experience tainted by micro stutters or slow texture/shader loading when moving around or fast traveling or whatever. Imo thats why fast storage is relevant among other things.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"Fast" for streaming assets is primarily random access time, and less throughput. That's why flash based storage is so great, even when it has lower throughput.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haldolium posted:

The initial load time has become comparibly irrelevant in todays games worlds...

???????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

???????

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If the game loads once and then streams everything afterwards, an extra 10-20 seconds on the load isn't a big deal. If the game has lots of loading screens, they are most likely going to be short anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In ten years when every game assumes it'll have access to Direct Storage, maybe SD cards won't be a good choice. Today, when games are still functionally accessing data the same way they did with hard drives, when the generation of consoles just gone used literal platter drives, when no game has an actual requirement for an SSD at all, an SD card will work just fine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dramicus posted:

If the game loads once and then streams everything afterwards, an extra 10-20 seconds on the load isn't a big deal. If the game has lots of loading screens, they are most likely going to be short anyway.

the only games that do anything like that are big open world games thatll strugugle on the cpu anyway, and the load difference on those games isnt 10-20 seconds, its minutes. ac valhalla is a full 2 minutes longer to load off a slow drive than a pcie4 ssd, and you still have to do more loading for fast travel wherhe you can be sitting for a full 60 seconds to load off a platter. have t o say the insane ssd isnt that much faster revisionism is epic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

the only games that do anything like that are big open world games thatll strugugle on the cpu anyway, and the load difference on those games isnt 10-20 seconds, its minutes. ac valhalla is a full 2 minutes longer to load off a slow drive than a pcie4 ssd, and you still have to do more loading for fast travel wherhe you can be sitting for a full 60 seconds to load off a platter. have t o say the insane ssd isnt that much faster revisionism is epic

Yeah you ain't wrong.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

Ac valhalla, which probably won't run well on the deck anyway, is 28 seconds longer to load on a mechanical hard drive. (40 seconds vs 12 seconds). The SD card will likely perform better (than the mechanical drive, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_iJTrzOus&t=42s

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Ac valhalla, which probably won't run well on the deck anyway, is 28 seconds longer to load on a mechanical hard drive. (40 seconds vs 12 seconds). The SD card will likely perform better (than the mechanical drive, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_iJTrzOus&t=42s

hm wondner if any other part of a pc changes load times... probably not lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

when u get your deck, please do load up valhalla on it and record the loading screne :D

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Good thing the Deck has an internal SSD that you can move super important games to if necessary.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

work out the average size of a switch game and the level of compression on its assets for the games specifically made for that hardware then compare and contrast to the full fat pc games you will have to install. lucky its cpu is so bad u dont have to really worry about the big open world games i guess lol

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it also probably won't run Flight Simulator well. There are a bunch of games that probably aren't suited to the Deck. If AC Valhalla is your main game, then probably don't get the deck.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and back to your original post

Dramicus posted:

If the game loads once and then streams everything afterwards

this only applies to games like that, and not in totality even to those. therefore, and further to this, Lmao. goonday sir.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of games that run at playable framerates on the deck will also have acceptable loading times. And for those that don't, you can just move them to the internal ssd.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Obviously the deck is a failure wrap it up Valveailures

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dramicus posted:

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of games that run at playable framerates on the deck will also have acceptable loading times. And for those that don't, you can just move them to the internal ssd.

The point that stux is very poorly making is that the CPU is going to be a large bottleneck in load times. Moving games from the micro SD to the SSD may not result in a large decrease in load times because the CPU may not be able to load the assets quickly enough to matter.

He's pretty heavily underestimating the capabilities of the CPU though. It's not a great CPU by any means but he's being hyperbolic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dramicus posted:

I mean, it also probably won't run Flight Simulator well. There are a bunch of games that probably aren't suited to the Deck. If AC Valhalla is your main game, then probably don't get the deck.

Well, since almost nothing does, that's pretty normal. lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The point that stux is very poorly making is that the CPU is going to be a large bottleneck in load times. Moving games from the micro SD to the SSD may not result in a large decrease in load times because the CPU may not be able to load the assets quickly enough to matter.

He's pretty heavily underestimating the capabilities of the CPU though. It's not a great CPU by any means but he's being hyperbolic.

no, im saying that the sd card will be noticeably slower than the ssd wtf are you t alking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't understand what you people are arguing about.

Of course the Deck can't load or stream games as quickly as the new and significantly more powerful generation of consoles. Or in some cases even the Switch, which gets/requires very optimized ports.

It's a bit surprising that Steam chose NVME considering its higher power consumption but I suppose they wanted to look to the future.

Now I wonder if the Deck might throttle the NVME drive to a noticeable degree to avoid thermal issues, especially if the CPU is a bottleneck anyway — which perhaps brings average power consumption to a point lower than or equal to saturated SATA?

I guess I'm saying maybe Steam chose NVME mainly to reduce power consumption through throttling, and 1) the increased speeds over SATA will be even less noticeable than what you'd expect, and 2) the Deck will never utilize NVME fully even as more PC games are designed with it in mind.

Edit: lol nevermind, I misread the entire conversation above.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 14, 2021