Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
She-hulk is going to look weird. :(

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There is a nefarious conspiracy against thicc at the highest levels of Hollywood and it must be stopped.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Watched Shang Chi last night, lmao at Awkwafina without her aave.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

galagazombie posted:

There is a nefarious conspiracy against thicc at the highest levels of Hollywood and it must be stopped.

At some point in the last decade, Hollywood tried to find the optimal state for American audience engagement and content preferences so everything is PG-13, sexless but also full of mass murder.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DesertIslandHermit posted:

At some point in the last decade, Hollywood tried to find the optimal state for American audience engagement and content preferences so everything is PG-13, sexless but also full of mass murder.

When you've infantalized your consumer base so much that they can only conceptualize entertainment through the consumption of young adult novels about plucky 16 year olds saving the world, your product has to be sexless, unless you're going for the Woody Allen kind of fame which...ya know, would be bad.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Watched Shang Chi last night, lmao at Awkwafina without her aave.

she dropped that like a sack of potatoes once she got a lil money

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I also saw Shang-Chi last night.
It was fine, I'm a sucker for slow-motion jungfu bullshit so I thought it was alright enough.
Wife hated it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Judakel posted:

i like the interview where they ask her about it and she starts answering it like she's defending an Ivy League thesis.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DesertIslandHermit posted:

This has been mentioned before and I mostly agree with it, but I still have to point out that Game of Thrones was a huge hit and boy did that have a whole lot of fuckin at parts

but the fuckin did go down as the seasons progressed while the mass murder didn't

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lib and let die posted:

When you've infantalized your consumer base so much that they can only conceptualize entertainment through the consumption of young adult novels about plucky 16 year olds saving the world, your product has to be sexless, unless you're going for the Woody Allen kind of fame which...ya know, would be bad.

the one thing I remember from when I was 16 was not being horny at all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Feldegast42 posted:

This has been mentioned before and I mostly agree with it, but I still have to point out that Game of Thrones was a huge hit and boy did that have a whole lot of fuckin at parts

but the fuckin did go down as the seasons progressed but the mass murder didn't

yeah but it's a total pendulum swing in the other direction where instead of just being sexless musclecapes, it's full-on rape and subjugation.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
for anybody that thinks that modern media is too sexless, I invite you to watch any of the cw comic book shows or riverdale

American gods also showed actual erect dong, which I have never seen on tv before or since

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

the one thing I remember from when I was 16 was not being horny at all.

Well yeah but unless you're Roman Polanski you're not filming a hunger games sex scene because they're all literally children

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Aglet56 posted:

for anybody that thinks that modern media is too sexless, I invite you to watch any of the cw comic book shows or riverdale

American gods also showed actual erect dong, which I have never seen on tv before or since

Does this mean we are going to see Oscar Issac Moon Knight loving?

Probably not given MCU unless they really want to sell sex past Eternals

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Aglet56 posted:

'American Gods' Will Feature a Lot of Digital Erections

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...vnTw75qWW_4Wt6s

I question the commitment

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Watching The Last Duel (excellent movie btw, big reccommend) made me yearn for a big budget Joan of Arc biopic. Relatedly, how loving long am I gonna have to wait for a big-budget epic Napoleon/Genghis Khan movie

Instead we get triple million dollar budget stinker superhero movies, year after year....

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Judakel posted:

She's not a very good actress either lmao.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Justin Tyme posted:

Watching The Last Duel (excellent movie btw, big reccommend) made me yearn for a big budget Joan of Arc biopic. Relatedly, how loving long am I gonna have to wait for a big-budget epic Napoleon/Genghis Khan movie

Instead we get triple million dollar budget stinker superhero movies, year after year....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Messenger:_The_Story_of_Joan_of_Arc

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

We won’t see anything like that for awhile. Or at least one that will be financially successful. We’re in a pandemic and American cinema has bottlenecked media to be all about big movie franchises.

China was the exception with their war movie because they actually did beat COVID

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Justin Tyme posted:

Scott's next film after Gucci is a Napoleon biopic.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It’s so weird to see Milla Jovovich before videogame movies became her life

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I've actually seen that Joan of Arc movie, but as far as I remember it wasn't that great

China will release a Genghis Khan epic that takes off worldwide like how Parasite did and it will be snubbed for an Oscar due to sinophobia

Edit: a Ridley Scott Napoleon biopic is Extremely My poo poo and if its anything like The Last Duel it'll whip big rear end, but because we live in the bad universe it'll be about as good as Robin Hood was.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Justin Tyme posted:

I've actually seen that Joan of Arc movie, but as far as I remember it wasn't that great

China will release a Genghis Khan epic that takes off worldwide like how Parasite did and it will be snubbed for an Oscar due to sinophobia

It wasn't great but $60 million, Luc Besson, Milla, Hoffman, and Malkovich is about as big budget as it gets for the era and we'll probably never see film made like it ever again (in that it balances the societal poo poo with fairly impressive practical war scenes)
and the dumb period accurate Norman haircuts

Now it'd surely be Scarjo with an undercut and a bunch of battle scenes where she poses and then it cuts to Total War CGI bullshit

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

She-hulk is going to look weird. :(

Had a friend say the She-Hulk is Marvel's Superman.

The DC universe can have these moral absolutes, because it's more of an ideal world
But if you put Any DC character into Marvel's world all their bad features would be exaggerated because it's more "realistic."

Marvel "Realism" requires that characters can't be super powerful unless they go crazy, and have to be morally gray.

She hulk is super powerful, but THAT powerful.
She is a really simple and classical "power fantasy" character, but with limits.

Her job as a lawyer is the 1980's job of being a news reporter.
You meet a lot of people, and have to deal with complex problems.
But she mostly comes out being good.

If superman is "the nicest farm boy ever"
She-Hulk is as good a city person can be

If you put She-Hulk into the DC universe, she would easily be on the justice league.
And would act as the go to devil's advocate for all their actions.

She would be the most feminine and relatable character. Middle class, went to school, has a job, shops, binges tv shows, has their heart broken, breaks the forth wall.
She's not a God, Rich, or an Alien.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Justin Tyme posted:

Relatedly, how loving long am I gonna have to wait for a big-budget epic Napoleon/Genghis Khan movie
In a desperate bid to turn back Napoleon's invasion, Alexander I calls upon Jesus to deliver him from his enemies. In the east the sun rises, and with it the resurrected horde of Genghis Khan.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHaYiA6u3Co

still bitter this hasn't seen a sequel

fake edit: holy poo poo, they did finally start work on a sequel but it hasn't come out yet?????

http://getawaypictures.com/?p=103

started shooting in 2019 apparently

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Honestly though idk how you could even do a Napoleon movie and not have it end up being a turd like Alexander, it'd work best as a miniseries or a conventional two or three seasons, and I guess there's an adaptation of Stanley Kubrick's script in the works at HBO but it might be stuck in development hell. Going from officer during the revolution/Egypt to being exiled to Elba to returning for the hundred days and then being turbo-exiled to St Helena in the course of an hour and a half would make Napoleon just seem like this really annoying dude who wouldn't go away instead of the giant he was

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Nov 13, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Justin Tyme posted:

Honestly though idk how you could even do a Napoleon movie and not have it end up being a turd like Alexander, it'd work best as a miniseries or a conventional two or three seasons, and I guess there's an adaptation of Stanley Kubrick's script in the works at HBO but it might be stuck in development hell.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead style following two french soldiers going through the various escapades, only ever seeing Napoleon on the periphery

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
you could always just make a Napoleon biopic five and a half hours long

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%E9on_(1927_film)

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
France has too much history.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Maybe a prestige miniseries starring Elijah Wood

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i didn't know Cable briefly looked like David Bowie.

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1459619075022221314?s=20

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/MoreDisneyPlus/status/1459177498424463360/retweets/with_comments

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

they're just making cum town bits now

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/pbrian0206/status/1458972624047026177

What's the deal with this mindset that we should just shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things? It seems very prevalent. I get it to a point, I mean you don't wanna be the one person to say OKAY BUT THIS SUCKS HERE'S WHY every time anyone mentions enjoying something, but it seems like maybe there's some real damaging poo poo that could come from convincing people en masse that nobody wants to ever hear any criticisms - I probably don't need to go into detail because we're already somewhat living in that reality - like it already seems a lot of people Online get really uncomfortable if there's ever any kind of clashing of ideas, confrontation, or critical analysis about really anything. I've even seen people freeze up and refuse to engage in discussions about music or other entertainment they like, not necessarily even political things, but I guess that sort of mindset re: political ideas has its genesis in an aversion to questioning the quality of pop culture stuff, or maybe vice versa?

Like it's the internet you know? Literally the place to talk about things and be critical with people from all over the world. I've been on SA most of my life and now with twitter, reddit, facebook, etc influence in (sorta) retrospect it's really obvious how culturally different this forum is from the rest of the internet in terms of people actually willing to jump in and talk. It's easy to understand how 'hey don't be critical of anything, it's a real dick move!' is in service to capital, but I'm stuck scratching my head wondering how such an obviously stupid way of thinking became so widespread.

So what it is in our culture, maybe even society-at-large, hell maybe just the format of more popular internet forums, that spreads this sort of mindset that if our thoughts about something are bad that they are irrelevant?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
nice sneakers. for a clown to wear. at the circus. IDIOT!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

i didn't know Cable briefly looked like David Bowie.

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1459619075022221314?s=20

look at all those clowns in the new mutants what a bunch of clowns

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Some Guy TT posted:

look at all those clowns in the new mutants what a bunch of clowns

they had a guy whose power was he was good at languages. loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pyrus Malus posted:

So what it is in our culture, maybe even society-at-large, hell maybe just the format of more popular internet forums, that spreads this sort of mindset that if our thoughts about something are bad that they are irrelevant?

twitter encourages you to universalise statements that only apply to the ten or twenty people you're paying attention to. "you should be more positive/critical" are probably fine as subjective statements to people you know, but writ large they're both pretty meaningless.