Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I bought a small condo for my father to retire into after he spent his retirement and home equity trying to save my mother's life in the US' hellworld healthcare system. I did let a cousin stay in the extra bedroom for several months rent-free to get back on their feet after a nasty divorce. Do I go to the guillotine when the revolution starts? I can't really tell where I stand, and need to set my expectations.

EDIT: A lovely snipe. Here's my feeble attempt at content.

quote:

My (22F) husband (28M) got a DNA test to check if he’s the father of our son without telling me

Me and my husband got married as soon as we found out I was pregnant. I’m very traditional so I guess he did it for me. During my pregnancy I admit I was acting a little bit strange. I was very distant, I was always on a bad mood and I was a difficult person to be around. But he never said I thought I was cheating. Two days ago he left his computer open and I saw an email he got from a clinic with the results of the DNA test.

I got so mad and I confronted him when he got home. He said he thought I was cheating and that’s why he wanted to be sure that he was the father of our son. We didn’t really talk about it that night because he said he was too tired and didn’t want to argue now. Next day he woke up early at work and I didn’t want to stay home.

He did mention that he saw that I booked twice a hotel room and that’s why he thought I was cheating. I left home and maybe it wasn’t the smartest decision. But for me it is very insulting what he did. I think I’m mad about the DNA test. Not because he had one, but because he didn’t tell me. And also why he didn’t say anything during that time? Why did he keep quite? I haven’t been answering any calls and I only sent him one message telling him I’m fine. I don’t want to go back with him right now. But at some point I have to face him. I’m being irrational? And how can we move on past this? I don’t want to break up with him. I know people may think it’s a bad idea but we have to stay together for our baby.

So I’m in a point where I don’t know what to do. And I’m feeling extremely anxious and I wanted to get opinions from other people because I can’t talk about this with anyone.

TL;DR my husband took a DNA test to check if he is the father of our baby. He thinks I cheated while I was pregnant (and maybe before, idk) and I left the house. I’m not sure what to do now and how to fix things and I just wanted opinions from the outside.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

AITA for getting mad because my gf let her brother stay in our apartment without permission?

She made it quite clear she's not your gf any more dude...

God, imagine living with, hanging out with, loving this guy for 2 years then suddenly realizing like that what a completely soulless piece of poo poo he is.

... then looking back over the relationship and seeing all the hints you'd ignored...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

In most countries there isn't any shortage of housing. What there is instead is a shortage of affordable housing. This is a problem very easily solved by expropriating the properties into a fully nationalised social housing program with extremely strict price controls on any private residential properties remaining.

Housing is basic human right and should never be allowed to become commodified.

Again, this is not a realistic "solution" that can be realistically implemented *right now*, and the available empty housing is largely not in either the condition or location to be suitable for the purposes of housing people who are going to need transitional and ongoing services, access to those services and access to other basic things like "the grocery store" and "employment."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

People who advance these positions have usually thought them through! I know it’s fun to assume everyone you disagree with is an idiot proposing the stupidest version of their idea that you can imagine, but that’s not usually the case!

Yet we are watching a demonstration, right here and now, of how they have in fact not through this through at all other than "I want a free house and I want other people to have free houses"

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 13, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is no realistic solution and the very idea that what ever you personally believe is actually realistic is laughable. Literally the only solution is going to require a complete ocerhaul of how we do it. Anything else will fail just as well as whatever you don’t personally like

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Cuba seems to have it pretty well figured out, there's no homelessness there and you can only own two properties total, so no massive landlords or developers sweeping in and owning whole neighborhoods

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is no realistic solution and the very idea that what ever you personally believe is actually realistic is laughable. Literally the only solution is going to require a complete ocerhaul of how we do it. Anything else will fail just as well as whatever you don’t personally like

Yes, onwards the revolution comrade :ussr:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Haha right? Why yes, it DOES require an overhaul of the whole system, glad we are on the same page now!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Motronic posted:

Again, this is not a realistic "solution" that can be realistically implemented *right now*, and the available empty housing is largely not in either the condition or location to be suitable for the purposes of housing people who are going to need transitional and ongoing services, access to those services and access to other basic things like "the grocery store" and "employment."

Funny how everything except just continuing to perpetuate the current capitalist system is always "unrealistic" isn't it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NeuralSpark posted:

I bought a small condo for my father to retire into after he spent his retirement and home equity trying to save my mother's life in the US' hellworld healthcare system. I did let a cousin stay in the extra bedroom for several months rent-free to get back on their feet after a nasty divorce. Do I go to the guillotine when the revolution starts? I can't really tell where I stand, and need to set my expectations.

Of course you do, considering anything like "circumstances" would mean that someone isn't 100% ideologically pure.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

NeuralSpark posted:

I like how, as with most "traditional" people, baby out of wedlock is a huge NO, but sex out of wedlock is Eh.

More tRaDiTiOn!

AITA for going along with my husband's family's sexist tradition because it benefits me and the only person it hurts is MIL, who treats me badly?

quote:

My husband and I have been married for nine months. I have some issues with his mom talking badly about me behind my back, being condescending, and genuinely being negative about our marriage based on us being a young couple.

My husband's grandparents are divorced, and GMIL usually does all of the holidays. GFIL had an affair with his employee who is the same age as MIL, so the family took GMIL's side and always spends holidays with her. The tradition is the oldest girl in each generation gets first dibs on hosting. Only when the "matriarch" is tired of it does it move on to the next generation. MIL is her parent's only daughter.

GMIL is doing Thanksgiving this year but has decided it is too much work, and she is ready to hand it over. I just assumed it would go to MIL, the only daughter, but I was told it is going to me, due to MIL being unmarried. I was pretty surprised, but I was also excited. I love the idea of doing it at my home, and when we have kids it will be much easier.

MIL protested that she was getting skipped and GMIL said it was because MIL doesn't have a family (meaning she is divorced) so she doesn't count because she isn't really a household, and it's always gone to a family and not a single person. MIL started to yell at GMIL that she is a doctor, she is capable of cooking a meal, and that it doesn't make sense. MIL is divorced and just moved in with her boyfriend. GMIL said MIL doesn't have a family, so it doesn't make sense. MIL started crying and yelling at her mom that she didn't chose for FIL to have a midlife crisis and nuke their marriage and that we are all sexist assholes.

MIL is currently not talking to any of us. My husband reached out and she told him to gently caress off. She won't talk to her mom who is devastated, and she is suddenly buddy buddy with her dad's affair partner.

Now here's the thing, i think MIL is right. she shouldn't be punished for being single. Her not having a husband doesn't make her incapable of cooking dinner, and she has waited years for it to be her turn. However I dislike MIL due to her treatment of me, and I am not willing to stick my neck out for her. MIL told me I should decline on the basis that it is sexist and gross. I told her it is pretty sexist and gross, but she is an rear end in a top hat to everyone and i'm not doing her a favor. GMIL is very upset about her daughter not talking to her, and I almost feel like I should make peace.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jesus I'm so thankful to have never had to deal with insane family bullshit, I really don't stop to appreciate it enough.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
A few short ones

AITA for not helping pay for my new girlfriends divorce?

quote:

So, long story but I'll try and keep it short as possible. Recently i started dating a girl I went to highschool with who also has 3 kids. We've been dating for about 2 months now. Both of us live with our parents. Well yesterday she messaged me saying she has a lot on her mind and wanted to talk. So I said tell me what's going on. She started saying she's stressed out because she has no job and nobody helping her pay bills (besides unemployment) and she doesn't want to be worried about bills and money and that me doing Uber eats isn't a real job that's going to provide for three kids. She also brought up my settlement for a car accident I was in before we even started dating. Saying that me wanting to spend the settlement money on my car "doesn't sit right" with her. That she needs help financially with her divorce and paying lawyer fees because her and the husband are battling over custody of the kids. I sort of do feel like IATA because its important that she gets custody of the kids. But I also feel like this shouldn't be MY responsibility. She said dating her I basically entered into a responsibility of taking care of her and her kids and that I need to start forking over some money.

AITA for changing my garage code after having to tell it to a friend.

quote:

A friend did me a favor and moved a package inside my garage while I was on a work trip. When I got back I changed the code, pretty much because that was the habit instilled in me by my mother, not because I had a specific concern.

Well, this friend tried to access my garage to prank me for my birthday and is upset I didn’t trust them enough to leave the code unchanged. He said I trust him to ask for a favor but act as though he’s untrustworthy. I don’t see it that way, do you?

AITA for buying my daughter a better tasting toothpaste?

quote:

OK, this is probably weird, but hear me out.

My wife discovered 1 week ago that my daughter (14F) had not been brushing her teeth. She went completely crazy, calling my daughter insane, unhygienic, stupid and germy, and my daughter started crying. She ran to me and I sat her down and waited for her to stop crying, then gently asked her what the issue was. She replied that she couldn't stand the taste and aftertaste of mint toothpaste. I said it was fine and bought her another one which was strawberry-flavored (?) and she's happy now and brushing her teeth regularly.

Now for the TA part. My wife is now constantly accusing me of babying a teenager, that she's too old for flavored toothpaste and that she was emotionally manipulating me. I was livid and told her to stick to our son (he has always been her favorite) and to leave our daughter to me. She got very upset about that and won't talk to me or my daughter now, which is also making my daughter upset because she has severe anxiety. I don't want to apologize because there is no fault of mine, but I think I will because of my daughter.

AITA?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Let MIL do it for this year. When she realizes the incredible amount of work it is cooking Thanksgiving dinner alone, she'll be thrilled to hand it over to the OP.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Jesus I'm so thankful to have never had to deal with insane family bullshit, I really don't stop to appreciate it enough.

yeah it's a load of bullshit. good on you

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Piell posted:

AITA for buying my daughter a better tasting toothpaste?

I don’t think it’s the daughter that’s being babied.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember as a kid, my grandma would host Thanksgiving some years, but it wasn't until I got older I realized all the snipes she sent my mom's way about not hosting/not eating enough/you're too fat why are you getting seconds/get thirds you'll have enough leftovers for later!

AITA For Admitting To My Husband That I Wasn't Actually Happy On Our Wedding Day?

quote:

I (30f) have been with my husband for 7 years and married for 4 of them. I love him and I am genuinely happy with our marriage and the life we've built together with our children. I was happy the day he proposed. I was happy during our honeymoon. We've had our ups and downs ever since, but overall I would say that I was happy. Although, I wasn't happy during the planning and actual wedding. Why? Because it wasn't the wedding I wanted.

A few months into the engagement my husband's grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and was expected to live long. Our wedding was predicted to be the last big family event that she would ever attend. Of course I felt sad and was more than willing to change the date of the wedding to better suit her needs, but what I was not expecting was that it would become HER wedding and I was to be treated like a figure on a play set. She picked out the venue, the color scheme, the food, music, the flowers, and even my dress.

It all started out as subtle suggestions but when I started to try and put my foot down I was called a heartless bridezilla who couldn't honor a dying woman's request, and the fact that they were paying very little into the actual wedding would be an AH thing to bring up. After a fight my husband was told to reconsider the engagement if I couldn't do this "one thing" and how a wedding was more important to me than actually becoming a part of the family. Knowing that I'd never win, I sat in my car and cried for an hour mourning the loss of the wedding I wanted and in the end let the In Laws have their way. I didn't even attend further meetings to discuss the planning and left both the Bridal Shower and Bachelorette party early.

One the actual day I swallowed my disappointment and just went through the motions. Since then my sister and best friend each had their weddings and I was MOH for both and was excited each time. I took my role very seriously and had a lot of fun. My cousin is getting married and asked me to be her MOH and I jumped at the chance. Recently, I've been spending hours on the phone/Zoom putting together a planning binder. My husband took note of my enthusiasm and made a joke about "missing that energy" on our day and brushed it off. After that I cut down my wedding planning in his presence but he wouldn't let up citing that we don't keep any wedding photos out, that I got rid of my dress as soon as I could and how I looked so much more happy at someone else's wedding than our own. He wouldn't let up and eventually we got into a fight where I finally confessed that while I love him I hated our wedding. My husband is now hurt and giving me the silent treatment. AITA?

No word if the grandmother is around still. I bet she would have looked so lovely in the dress! I mean, assuming she even let the OP stand in the bride's place in the wedding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Piell posted:

AITA for changing my garage code after having to tell it to a friend.

Friend only found out the OP didn't trust him when he tried to betray that trust. The system works.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bruceski posted:

Friend only found out the OP didn't trust him when he tried to betray that trust. The system works.

Hey, I tried to enter your home uninvited and couldn't, what gives? You distrust me? Think I'd try to break in?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

people who pull pranks have broken brains

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

The_Franz posted:

people who pull pranks have broken brains

what if you pull pranks on your landlord

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
My (28f) bf (35m) of 6 years told his family he never had a relationship with me and that I have never been his gf. How to proceed from here on?

quote:

My relationship with my(28f) bf(35m) has been quite rocky for the past few months. He has certain childhood trauma that he doesn't get resolved but instead uses it to lure empathetic women into his mess. The last few months have been really rocky, his behavior has been quite hurtful. He pretty much uses everything I say to him against me, misunderstands me on purpose.

So, to understand what really bothers him, I approached his family (sister and maternal uncle). This guy told his sister that he doesn't know me at all! He told her that I was someone he merely bumped around in his neighborhood! (After 6 years of intense relationship, he has the audacity to reduce it to nothing). The worst part is that I had never wanted this relationship. I had denied and rejected his proposal to date him the first time. Avoided him after that first proposal for a good month and he followed me on a train to propose a second time. I have more proof of relationship, and yet, his family says they can't help me. Quite honestly, I'm baffled that he didn't admit to relationship after having reached out to me during some of his worst situations (financial stuff, stuck in foreign immigration for loss of papers and a few health crisis). The last few times I have spoken to him, he has been lying through his teeth.

I know moving on is the best thing for me now. But I feel like writing a lot to him, write how much he hurt me, tell him that he is wrong etc. Should I even attempt to ask him why he has been lying to his family ? He came to see me 4 months ago, he told me that he is still my bf, read through my personal journal. He went back and told his sister that I'm crazy to be writing him emails about how we can make this relationship stronger etc. No idea why he is being so mean and despicable.

How should I proceed here ? His family says that I'm better off without him, but that only means they are further allowing him to continue his abuses by not holding him accountable. What should be my course of action here ?

TLDR - my bf of 6 years said he was never in a relationship with me and that he was merely bumping into me in his neighborhood. He said this after having reached out to me during some of his worst situations (financial stuff, stuck in foreign immigration for loss of papers and a few health crisis). The last few times I have spoken to him, he has been lying through his teeth. He did come by my parents' house a couple of times, he says he doesn't want to talk on phone, he lives across the country (LDR for 3 years), He has met me in person a couple of times, begged me to be considerable because his family situation was bad (always uses this to emotionally blackmail me) and then goes back to lie to his sister about us. How should I proceed here ? I don't know how to approach this situation, please help. What should be my course of action ?

Edit - For people who are questioning about why it was a relationship if I didn't meet him, if it was LDR throughout without meeting etc - Sorry, I wasn't clear on the timeline and status.

Him and I got together in 2015. For three years until 2018 , we stayed in the same city.

Aug 2017-Apr 2018 -> live-in kind of situation. I stayed at his place almost everyday.

We broke up once in between because he couldn't commit.

Jan 2019 -> He came back asking for a chance, said that he wants to make it an official relationship. We were, until recent. We did spend a few days together every time he was in the city, I have visited him across the country twice, taken a few holidays together. During the first lockdown, we stayed together for a month.

:thunk:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

Every year some article comes out saying there's estimated to be more vacant homes then homeless people in America
The problem is that the vacant homes are in lovely places with no jobs, while cities have disproportionately more jobs than units of housing available.

There's no way to reallocate people to housing that also gives them jobs they're satisfied with.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Im pregnant and my husband is driving me nuts.

quote:

I(28) am pregnant with my first child. I am high risk due to my uterus being malformed. I had to leave my job because its too dangerous of a job for me to do while pregnant so I'm at home.

I love my husband(33) and I know he is excited about this pregnancy. I know he wants what's best for us and wants us to be healthy. However he is driving me nuts.

He is crazy about me eating only healthy food. I desperately wanted French fries and a chocolate milkshake so I snuck out while he was at work and got it.

I feel like I'm having to be sneaky just to feel normal. I know thats awful. I hate lying to him but damnit I hate the bland food and healthy crap. I wanted something fried and greasy and a milk shake.

I believe he has read every single pregnancy and parenting book and he is subscribed to tons of parenting/ pregnancy blogs. I know he is just excited. I know he will be an incredible father but I want to feel normal. I feel like a beached and bloated whale with people staring at it.

He hovers over me constantly. He watches everything I do. Its like I have a stalker but the stalker is my very own husband.

I don't want to hurt his feelings, this child is just as much mine as she is his so his opinions and feelings matter, but I feel suffocated.

He won't even have sex with me the normal way. He is ridiculously slow and terrified he will hurt me or the baby so he will not get even somewhat rough with me. Its very unsatisfying. And he stops every few minutes to ask if I'm okay.

Yes I know I should be happy he cares this much but is it so much to ask for him to just speed up a little? He still gets me off with foreplay but I miss the passion and excitement.

I've told him that but he's afraid he will hurt us so its still a no.

What should I do?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not defending my girlfriend?

quote:

One of my best friends ("Ben", M26) and his gf ("Claire", F26) invited my (M29) and my gf (F29) for dinner to meet her for the first time.

They asked her where she is from (Ben, Claire and I live in the capital of the country, GF lives in a city in a surrounding area 1 hour away. Context: in our country people from the capital tend to have a prejudice against people who live out of it. Ben and Claire are also originally from a surrounding city but they live in a fancy area in the capital now) and were shocked that she lives so far and has to travel by public transport for over an hour to see me. My GF just shrugged.

Ben and Claire have a roasting kind of humor and I'm used to it. They roasted me during dinner and the three of us laughed, my GF didn't. Ben asked my GF if she had travelled abroad, because he didn't "want to have a rich kid conversation in front of a poor person", my GF said yes, just one, and Claire said "Then you can't sit with us!" and laughed. Ben explained that he and Claire travelled abroad many times.

At one point Claire made a comment to my GF about how nice it must be not having to think about what to cook, as she still lives with her parents (it's a sore subject for her). My GF said "Yeah" weakly and was pretty quiet throughout dinner.

Afterwards I thanked her for coming and meeting my friend and she was quiet. Later on, she said she felt attacked with rude comments under the pretense that "it's just joking" and that I should have seen that she was uncomfortable and should have defended her. I know Ben and Claire were not ill-intended but I feed bad my GF had a bad time and I didn't notice. AITA?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Scaevolus posted:

The problem is that the vacant homes are in lovely places with no jobs, while cities have disproportionately more jobs than units of housing available.

There's no way to reallocate people to housing that also gives them jobs they're satisfied with.

Or they're technically repairable buildings that would cost more to restore to livable condition than it would cost to raze the structure and rebuild. Where I live there are large sections of property that have escheated to the county because the owners couldn't afford to make them rentable and simply stopped paying taxes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brandon Proust posted:

what if you pull pranks on your landlord

ESBGH*

*Everyone Should Be Guillotined Here

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Hughlander posted:

AITA for getting mad because my gf let her brother stay in our apartment without permission?

She made it quite clear she's not your gf any more dude...

quote:

Edit: I want to make it clear that I didn't immediately try to throw out the brother when he turned 18. I spoke to both of them multiple times explaining the situation, but was ignored. I tried talking about it for half a month before doing this as a last resort.

Edit 2: After some consideration I've decided that finding my own place and living arrangements will be for the better. Clearly my girlfriend refuses to place any responsibility on her brother, so he'll be there for who knows how long. I'll wait for her to unblock me and get in contact to have a serious discussion about our relationship, and hopefully we'll both apologize for losing our cool and move on. If not, well there are plenty of fish in the sea.
i wonder if this guy's ever gonna clue in

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

my girlfriend of 6 years getting married to another man what do I do?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder what it's like to be that delusional

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I spoke to both of them multiple times explaining the situation, but was ignored. I tried talking about it for half a month before doing this as a last resort.

Oh, he waited two whole weeks before trying to kick out her brother. That's different then.

Wait no it isn't

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Woodchip posted:

quote:

He won't even have sex with me the normal way. He is ridiculously slow and terrified he will hurt me or the baby so he will not get even somewhat rough with me. Its very unsatisfying. And he stops every few minutes to ask if I'm okay.
Time to tell him the truth: "Your dick isn't that big"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Half a month

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I waited three hundred and thirty six hours!!!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
From a different place on reddit, 'no stupid questions':

Grandma died but grandpa doesn't know. Should we tell him?

quote:

My grandma died 2 days ago, she was 74. Her funeral was yesterday. My grandpa, who is 89 and her husband, is immobilised in bed and also very sick.

My mum (their daughter) thinks she shouldn't tell my grandpa that his wife died, because that would break him and it would accelerate his death. My grandpa had a stroke many years ago and now he complains of 'a constant pain in the chest'. He also has a very bad cough.

However, I feel like it is his right to know his wife of so many years died. Do you think we should tell him?

EDIT: I marked this post as answered, I got the general idea everyone has. I am already broken after my grandma’s death, so hearing people calling my family “deranged” or calling my mum a “oval office”, “bitch” is honestly enough. Life is not black and white. This is a much more complicated situation than it seems. I appreciate the kind and actually helpful comments that I got though! No need to comment anymore.

EDIT 2: Do people get their awards back if a post is deleted?

Goddamn, that's cold.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Woodchip posted:

Isn't this the first part of We Need to Talk About Kevin?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Don't you understand ? , there are plenty of fish in the sea and my bait is irresistible !

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I remember a throwaway chapter in on of the Belgariad books where they have to take shelter in this house and it's a family of total narcissist horrible people. Anyway, when they leave Garion is all like "holy poo poo they are terrible people, we should do something" and Beldin I think is all like "if you can think of a better punishment than letting these vile people live out the rest of their lives, never finding happiness, in each others company then by all means share it" and Garion is all like "daaaamn that's fuckin cold, but also fair"

anyway, it's been 20 years since I read those books and this thread makes me think of that chapter often, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

AceClown posted:

I remember a throwaway chapter in on of the Belgariad books where they have to take shelter in this house and it's a family of total narcissist horrible people. Anyway, when they leave Garion is all like "holy poo poo they are terrible people, we should do something" and Beldin I think is all like "if you can think of a better punishment than letting these vile people live out the rest of their lives, never finding happiness, in each others company then by all means share it" and Garion is all like "daaaamn that's fuckin cold, but also fair"

anyway, it's been 20 years since I read those books and this thread makes me think of that chapter often, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I was actually thinking about that the other day in relation to this thread. It's actually in the first book of The Tamuli, the second trilogy of the Sparhawk books. Which I can never read again without thinking about how Eddings was a child abuser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it's safe to separate the art from the artist in that case, as the works show no taint of their evils. Know what they did before or after the reading doesn't add any new insights into the work, fortunately. Those two are simmering in a warm place while kids get to read cool stories and not think twice about it.