Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Part of the premise of American Gods is that the old gods are alive and wandering around the US. Mr. Wednesday is called that because he is, in fact, Odin

Apologies if that is :thejoke:

Season 1 owned. Then the budget got yanked :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

flavor.flv posted:

That part isn't subtle

You should watch it, it's good

Oh yeah. It's been on my list forever and I might just start it this weekend

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

Season 1 owned. Then the budget got yanked :smith:

Yea, season one was fantastic. Season two was mediocre. I have zero intention of watching season three. Season two got hit with recast after recast after recast and I really just lost faith in it, in addition to season three taking place in one of the hardest sections of the book to adapt to TV. If they adapted it straight out, it would just be Shadow hanging out in some ski restort-esque town for the whole time, helping his neighbor with chores and just trying to be a regular guy.

If you haven't done so, read the book instead. It is way better.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

flavor.flv posted:

You should watch it, it's good

That's a very Loki thing to say.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Seriously, don’t ever do this. Donate on your own if you want to but don’t donate to some corporation’s tax write-off

You are incorrect, just FYI. Your donations are only deductable by you. This also goes for at-the-register donations, like at the supermarket.

I don't know why corporations do this, but Amazon can't write off your charity donation. Also they don't have to; they already dodge all their taxes.

edit: here's one article

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Frank Frank posted:

Seriously, don’t ever do this. Donate on your own if you want to but don’t donate to some corporation’s tax write-off

lol they somehow made it worse. I'd say I couldn't believe it but drat that'd be dumb on my part

e: there seems to be some debate

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Nov 13, 2021

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah Amazon can gently caress right off with their tax dodging, but it's not because of your charity donations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mauser posted:

Thanks, I'm going to check this out!

I know nothing about this show, but Wednesday is literally Wodin's day, which was the Old English word for Odin

He's literally Odin. That's the joke.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Whole Foods and other companies that do this do get to take an admin fee off your donation, though.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Skwirl posted:

He's literally Odin. That's the joke.

oh yeah, I could guess that. His name is literally Odin as well, but I guess everybody already knows that :)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

lord funk posted:

You are incorrect, just FYI. Your donations are only deductable by you. This also goes for at-the-register donations, like at the supermarket.

I don't know why corporations do this, but Amazon can't write off your charity donation. Also they don't have to; they already dodge all their taxes.

edit: here's one article

I think the scam is that they collect donations all year and have them in some kind of interest bearing vehicle, then make a donation at the end of the year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Someone in Cinema Discusso found a mockup poster someone on the web did of a Netflix reboot of Columbo w/Mark Ruffalo as Columbo, and while I don't trust Netflix to get it right, Ruffalo is a decent choice

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Someone in Cinema Discusso found a mockup poster someone on the web did of a Netflix reboot of Columbo w/Mark Ruffalo as Columbo, and while I don't trust Netflix to get it right, Ruffalo is a decent choice

Vincent d'onofrio was the best Colombo like guy, I think he's a bit old and grey now maybe.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Not sure you could do Columbo without it just feeling like someone impersonating Peter Falk as Columbo. If you do that, it’ll probably feel like a cheap knock off, but if you don’t, the character would be all wrong. Don’t know that anyone else would be able to make that role their own successfully.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Vincent d'onofrio was the best Colombo like guy, I think he's a bit old and grey now maybe.

Yeah, L&O:CI is probably the closest to nailing the detective process that Columbo uses.

It's a good show up until the weird arc where D'Onofrio is framed by a murderer he's been pursuing who alludes to being attracted to him, and then it turns out his investigative mentor is involved in helping frame him

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Instead of “One more thing…” it was always bending 90 degrees at the waist and putting his face very, very close to the suspect’s.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

chglcu posted:

Not sure you could do Columbo without it just feeling like someone impersonating Peter Falk as Columbo. If you do that, it’ll probably feel like a cheap knock off, but if you don’t, the character would be all wrong. Don’t know that anyone else would be able to make that role their own successfully.

I saw somewhere that a Columbo reboot should star Natasha Lyonne and it’s all I’ve ever wanted since I heard it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I saw somewhere that a Columbo reboot should star Natasha Lyonne and it’s all I’ve ever wanted since I heard it

That would own

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wasn’t familiar with her, but after watching a couple videos, yeah, that might actually work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Speaking as a girl, I'd be way more interested in the guy who was listening to the podcast.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, season one was fantastic. Season two was mediocre.
Yeah I ditched it when Gillian Anderson noped out because I am a dyed-in-the-wool Gillian Anderson simp

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think I like this idea better than Matt Berry as Garfield.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mauser posted:

Thanks, I'm going to check this out!

I know nothing about this show, but Wednesday is literally Wodin's day, which was the Old English word for Odin

If you do, just start with the second, current series. Don't go back to the one from 2012 when he was a 21 yr old undergraduate

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah I ditched it when Gillian Anderson noped out because I am a dyed-in-the-wool Gillian Anderson simp

I think I like this idea better than Matt Berry as Garfield.

Natasha Lyonne as Garfield

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

Lasagna, what a concept!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lament.cfg posted:

Natasha painted up as Garfield with Matt Berry doing the voice

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

EL BROMANCE posted:

Natasha painted up as Garfield with Matt Berry doing the voice

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking as a girl, I'd be way more interested in the guy who was listening to the podcast.

Speaking as a guy who's met those guys, you probably wouldn't be.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I knew when Bryan Fuller left as show runner that the second season wouldn't be worth anything. Anderson leaving confirmed it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Part of the premise of American Gods is that the old gods are alive and wandering around the US. Mr. Wednesday is called that because he is, in fact, Odin

Apologies if that is :thejoke:

I love where he gives his name as Emerson Borson which is also accurate. That's in the book, I don't know if it was in the show.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Would be so amazing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agents are GO! posted:

I love where he gives his name as Emerson Borson which is also accurate. That's in the book, I don't know if it was in the show.

I guess it's good to learn a bit more about Norse mythology outside of Thor comics because I only knew Ymir as a villain to Odin and the Asgardians, didn't know in myths he's actually Odin's ancestor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/AkilahObviously/status/1459466235570053120?s=20

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I feel like I'm hallucinating holy poo poo.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Mauser posted:

So, I definitely want that thirty years' war podcast to be real, but on the topic of Columbo, one of the really cool things you get to see as you go through it is a lot of very famous actors when they're super young or just famous as hell, but maybe not at that time.

Patrick McGoohan plays, I think, three different villains in the series which is fun. The other day when Al from Quantum Leap died, rip, we happened to watch an episode of him when he was really young and mustachioed. Columbo's bumbling antics are usually pretty funny in a formulaic, inside joke kind of way that easily transfers to meme format.

The secret of his character though is that Columbo's method of antagonizing the murderer is the exact same method that he uses for casual conversation with non-suspects, so that's just how he talks to everyone, and also before he locks people up for decades he takes every opportunity to get free poo poo out of them.

edit: there's also a significant nostalgia aspect to it for me because I remember as a kid an episode of columbo coming on tv being like an ok we're doing this now kind of thing

Columbo is a working-class schlub who goes up against the rich and powerful, and absolutely destroying their lives with only his mind, persistence, and righteous fury.

Columbo = Class Warrior.

(ACAB, even Columbo)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/deliclit/status/1459223895135895563?s=20

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Columbo is copaganda.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Columbo is copaganda.

That's probably fair it's just all media portraying cops is usually copaganda, and Colombo is one of the best shows about a cop.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
a fictional cop can be good by virtue of being fictional

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Columbo did arrest his commanding officer for murder once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

If you do, just start with the second, current series. Don't go back to the one from 2012 when he was a 21 yr old undergraduate

I start on the most recent one, then had to back up to the ~15 episodes on 17th century warfare!