Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Martytoof posted:

Good news

code:
$ brew info hatari
hatari: stable 2.3.1 (bottled), HEAD
Atari ST/STE/TT/Falcon emulator
[url]https://hatari.tuxfamily.org[/url]
/opt/homebrew/Cellar/hatari/2.3.1 (37 files, 18.1MB) *
I just set up an ST for Cubase on my new M1 yesterday :)

oh cool! thanks! I just assumed it wouldn't work. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Can't wait to get a 16-incher and try to play all those great ST games in emulation..

Always hated how InfoGrames would list a Mac or a (ha) //GS version for some games and it would never get released..

Hope the OpenEmu guys are busy cranking out an M1 version

Finally I'll get to play Carrier Command in 16 colors..

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

Taima posted:

Do other people find 16GB to be insufficient for basic tasks on the new machines? I got 16GB because everything I read is that 16GB is plenty unless you know you need more for specific workloads.

And, well... that's been my experience. No memory issues like the kind being reported here.

I was all set to upgrade to the 24 core GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB but in the end I just felt like I didn't need any of that, and so far that's been true. The vast majority of my work is cloud based and I'm not spending disk space on gaming because I have an actual Ryzen/3080 based PC for that :shrug:

I went with the base 16 inch and have no regret whatsoever for my use cases. That being said, the 8GB 14 inch model does seem pretty rough... not sure if I would go that far.

16GB seems to be fine for me, also haven't experienced any of the Control Center stuff.

I went through the same thought process... speccing out the best M1 Max but then wondered why I would need a 'mobile gaming rig' when I have a gaming PC and a PS5 (which aIready barely gets used because I game on the PC).

The base 16 has all the meaningful upgrades from the Intel 16" for me anyway. 120Hz finally meaning all my devices have nice displays. SD card if I wanna use a real camera. A better webcam so I look less like poo poo in Teams meetings - has anyone notice that it seems to have some smoothing filter applied?

I still have 330gb free after installing all the apps and repos that I work with.

Seems strange to me that people are spending > $2k to have the capacity to render/export 4k+ videos a few minutes faster. Or are they betting on their being 'actual' releases of games on Mac now as opposed to Aspyr or whoever porting them poorly?

jt fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 13, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

When you are doing a shitton of renders or video processing, faster makes a huge difference. Especially since I can’t afford the luxury of having a dedicated render box.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I've been playing Total Warhammer 2 on max settings in 4K on my M1 Max and it owns so hard - it can even do it for hours on battery!

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

Doctor Zero posted:

When you are doing a shitton of renders or video processing, faster makes a huge difference. Especially since I can’t afford the luxury of having a dedicated render box.

Yeah, I guess I am underestimating the sheer amount of people doing video renders out there that benefit from this. Perhaps someday we will be building our Node apps on GPU and it'll make sense for developers. :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So are there even any native metal tech demos showing what the GPUs can do in the various M1s?

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is there any reason not to get the iPhone mini over the other big one??? ya bird????????

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

So are there even any native metal tech demos showing what the GPUs can do in the various M1s?

Other than Unigine Benchmark, GFXBench M?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

epic 2012 username posted:

Is there any reason not to get the iPhone mini over the other big one??? ya bird????????

Wrong thread

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Other than Unigine Benchmark, GFXBench M?

Oh I guess those count. Futuremark gonna do Apple build?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
which is the one that Apple employees helped work on? Is that Unigine?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
M1 Pro 16" showed up in stock at my local store, so I grabbed one. This thing is fast and silent and — I must be imagining this — seems to show nicer colors on my external 4k display.

After years of space grey, I decided on silver. The higher contrast between keys and body + the general change has my brain going, "Oh! This is new and nicer." even though it's literally the body color that every Mac has had as an option since they moved to aluminum.

What do you people use for Time Machine backups?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's how I felt about moving from silver to space this time around. If they have a pastel colour MBP whenever we get an M5XTREME in a few years I'll probably keep switching it up :)

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

doingitwrong posted:

What do you people use for Time Machine backups?
For me I just made a Timemachine profile with a 750 gig quota on my Synology NAS and have the family Macs backing up to that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I used TimeMachineEditor to also modify the aggressive scheduling during my working hours. I know I should just let it do its thing, but I use TM as a "whoops the device is dead" kind of backup, not a "hey I deleted that file I didn't mean to" backup so there's very little benefit to having hourly deltas when I'm using the machine most.

And seconding the Synology TM volume solution. That's what I'm using as well. TBH, even with the existence of the new MBP, the Synology is probably going to go down as the best tech-quality-of-life thing I did in 2021 given I upgraded from some lovely old Western Digital NAS from 2008.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

doingitwrong posted:

M1 Pro 16" showed up in stock at my local store, so I grabbed one. This thing is fast and silent and — I must be imagining this — seems to show nicer colors on my external 4k display.

After years of space grey, I decided on silver. The higher contrast between keys and body + the general change has my brain going, "Oh! This is new and nicer." even though it's literally the body color that every Mac has had as an option since they moved to aluminum.

Isn’t the new MBP silver a different shade from the one used in the last decade+ of Unibody Macs?

I heard that it was more “silver” and less “raw metal” colored, more in line with the color of the old P-P-P-PowerBooks, but I’d love to know if I’m wrong.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple needs to release an SR-71 model, bring back the Black Book

It'll actually work this time, since they'll be anodizing aluminum and not that poo poo that bent if you held by the corner it for too long

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Finally got charged for mine today and it moved to Preparing to Ship. I guess it's coming tomorrow though? :dance:

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Anyone have experience with "deliver-it" as a courier? Apple says the macbook shipped, deliver-it says it's out for delivery, I hung around all day and nothing. At this point I'm not sure I believe it's out for delivery.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If anyone else has a 140W USB-C Power Adapter for their Macbook Pro, does it cause any arcing in the power outlet as you plug it in? I'm trying to figure out if this "normal" with either the stock plug or with the Power Adapter Extension Cable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going from a 2019 keyboard to an M1 MBP keyboard was like "wow this is pretty great"

Going from an M1 MBP keyboard to a 2019 MBP keyboard is

How did I live like this??

I pulled out my Intel to run a VM since I needed to plug in a USB floppy drive to access some old media and didn't feel like investigating Arm native options, but the change in feedback and key feel is just so physically offputting that I'm struggling to even type this. I can't wait for Universal Control to roll out so I can never touch this keyboard again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am 18 months into one work-supplied 2019 15" which I use alongside my personal 2012 15", and I only touch the 2019 when I absolutely have to use the internal apps and VPN because typing feels so gross and wrong. I still haven't mastered it and I've given up trying to control the typos.

Just an embarrassment all around.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Martytoof posted:

How did I live like this??

Stockholm syndrome

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It's mind-boggling that no one stopped them before they were released. Of course I blame it all on Ive.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Lemon King posted:

If anyone else has a 140W USB-C Power Adapter for their Macbook Pro, does it cause any arcing in the power outlet as you plug it in? I'm trying to figure out if this "normal" with either the stock plug or with the Power Adapter Extension Cable.

I had this happen with the stock plug.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

It's mind-boggling that no one stopped them before they were released. Of course I blame it all on Ive.

One day we'll find out it was Tim Cook's idea all along and Ive was the one man who dared to speak up and got sacked as a result.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Lemon King posted:

Arcing happens pretty much any time you insert or remove any plug from an outlet. As long as it stops arcing immediately, it's fine.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Unplug your laptop before you plug the AC end into the wall. There should be zero load when plugging in an electric device.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, that's actually a good procedure to follow with any laptop- plug the AC adapter in the outlet before you hook it up to the laptop, wait a few seconds for the adapter to smooth out any kinks in its output, then attach the adapter to the laptop.

I've actually seen people blow out their adapter AND their laptop trying to plug in their setup to some lovely hotel outlet in their dedicated business lounge or whatever.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can’t let these awful keyboard opinions go unchallenged. the butterfly keyboard is the best feeling laptop keyboard out there :colbert:

it’s incredibly fluid and quick to type on with uniform feel and feedback across the whole surface, a perfect amount of tactile click for accuracy without being obnoxious, and none of that jelly/wobbly chiclet unpleasantness. i type on it faster than on my desktop pc’s mechanical keyboard, and generally prefer it for everything except games. shame about the reliability, but i guess the brightness flame burns quickest.

i can understand not liking it if you just don’t like low travel keys, for sure, but if you do it’s great.

rest in power, king

E: haven’t tried the 2021 mbp keys yet but i assume they’re the same as last year’s air.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

U... username post combo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Going back to the unibody keyboard felt like a spongy mess after using the butterfly keyboard. 16" was the best but I haven't tried a brand spankin' new one yet

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

i can understand not liking it if you just don’t like low travel keys, for sure, but if you do it’s great.

Yeah I mean I think this is what it boils down to for me. After using my AS Macs it feels like I'm typing on a membrane button surface, like pushing buttons on my oven or washing machine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah butterfly felt good to me it’s too bad it broke if you forgot to wash your hands before using it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, despite loving the feel of the butterfly keys, i know they were right to discontinue it. they tried to redesign it 3(?) times and never could stop it from breaking, and for some reason also refused to make it an easily repairable or replaceable part. even if they could fix it now, the reputation is so bad that they had to do something new. even i wouldn't buy one again.

but i'm gonna continue to enjoy typing too close to the sun on my 2018 mbp while i can

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I should probably sell my 2017 MBP while I still can and then buy....?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I should probably sell my 2017 MBP while I still can and then buy....?

iPad Pro.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Comatoast posted:

Unplug your laptop before you plug the AC end into the wall. There should be zero load when plugging in an electric device.

I always have my Macbook unplugged before plugging in AC Power Adapter.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Arcing happens pretty much any time you insert or remove any plug from an outlet. As long as it stops arcing immediately, it's fine.
My plugs from the power adapter have very small burn marks caused by the arcing. Which doesn't happen with any of my other equipment, including my older macbook air.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the momentary pop or small spark is normal and happens with more stuff than just apple chargers.

the charger thing that disturbs me the most is the electric vibration feeling i get in my fingertips when touching the surface of an aluminum macbook (or even my magsafe phone charger) when it's plugged into the wall using the 2 prong plug due to lack of grounding.