Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

GTO posted:

For me I find I get legend when a deck really clicks and is both fun for me to play but also I feel I understand how every card synergises with every other card and what all the interactions are, plus knowing how the deck counters or does its best not to lose against every other deck.

That plus probably a bit of survivor bias in getting enough of a streak to get to D2 at least without really trying. It's so easy to drop right back to D5 if you change decks or the meta shifts that I don't get excited or think about pushing for legend until I'm at the top of D2.

This is how I got first time legend in August with handlock. Just picked it back up after burning out for two months and it's still insanely fun to play and incredibly powerful if you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

As others have said, making legend without the Star bonus is much more about playing a certain deck really well than playing the best deck at an average level.. For me most recently it has been deathrattle DH, which has never been considered anything more than a tier 3 deck in play rate or win rate recently, but it fits my preferred playstyle really well and I've learned a lot of the game within the game of how to try and counter play against other decks which may arguably be stronger in the meta right now.

the thing with ladder is that assuming you are playing a reasonable deck at around a 50% win rate, you will naturally gravitate to Diamond 5 over a long enough period of time. This is because there are rank floors every 5 ranks that you can lose any number of games and not fall below, and there are x2 star win streak modifiers which means when you get that 5 or 6 win streak from luck or good matchups (or just playing consistently stronger than your opponents) the system will boost you up even if you lose the next 5 or 6 games and your win rate stays at 50% overall.

Once you get to Diamond 5 however, the win streak modifiers no longer exist and you have to simply go +15 in the W/L record to make it to legend.. so that could mean winning 15 games in a row, going 40-25, or going 250-235.. Any one of these will work, it's just a matter of winning 15 games more than you lose over any time period starting from the point you win your first game to get your first star at Diamond 5 over the floor.. obviously if you lose enough to get back to Diamond 5 with 0 stars it wipes all your previous efforts out.

so really.. getting legend is just a matter of playing enough games for a lot of people - the more games you play, the easier it is and the more likely you will get that +15 record at some point.. simple as that.

Of course, playing hundreds of games in a month is not realistic for many people, which brings us right back around to the original point - just playing Quest Warrior like the average Diamond player for an overall 52% win rate or whatever HS replay says Quest Warrior is performing at is not nearly enough to make legend unless you get incredibly lucky with your matchup sequencing. More realistically you are going to need to have more insight into the deck and play at a much higher level than the people you will be playing against to go +15 in say 70 or 80 games. What you need to do is figure out ways to turn a bad matchup against aggro Druid or handbuff Paladin so you're winning 40% of your games against those decks instead of 35%. Whatever resources you can find on the deck you are playing that might give you some of those tools are going to save you potentially dozens of games worth of time and frustration in the future, so that is where I would start.

This is a really useful and insightful post

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

and the claw won! posted:

They banned Frost Lich Jaina and the other death knights from arena for power level reasons. And yeah they've changed offering rates of specific cards from time to time. Good luck with your Sneedses!

still faced a paladin/mage the other day who discovered Frost Lich Jaina off Kabal Courier, though. he emoted "wow" soon as it happened, but I only learned why some time later :v:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Amoeba102 posted:

It's good enough at whatever MMR i'm at to win more often than not. Most people are probably happy for it to not be quest mage, then they get blown up on turn 8. You have to keep an eye on the numbers, knowing how much damage you can do on any given turn, before your turn starts so you don't have to race the rope so much. You can often get in a bit of chip damage to get them to 27 or below so that a 6 ignite turn starting from 2 is enough. But sometimes you can get them down to 20, which is enough for 5. But if you cast any ignite you get on earlier turns, then it's just easier. If you're doing 6 casts on your combo turn, but you've cast it once so you start from 3 damage, then your total damage would be 33.
And since there is good card generation, you can sometimes get extra hot streaks or mana biscuits and maybe can go off early.

The main thing about watching the numbers is that you might not have cast your conjure mana biscuits yet. If you're pressured, you might not be able to spare the 4 mana total. Sometimes you'll have one biscuit cast instead of two and that will cost you a bit of damage there. And sometimes you can start the combo without all the hot streaks or ignite in your hand - just it's best to already have both the mana biscuits out so you don't get stuffed. But, you can sometimes game it better. Casting hot streak then Ignite to start off will let you draw out the final spell in your deck.

And sometime it's best to use your combo turn to clear the board if you don't have enough damage to go face. Like you can only do 27 and they have 28+ - you will have a second chandler to do a little combo turn. And you ignites will start from 8+ damage. The extra draw a spell minions would help here if you get into that predicament.

I would say 75% of the time I have all the pieces I need by T8. A few of those times though they are out of range health-wise.

Tried making this work today! Super fun way to play.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
is that Edwin portrait / card back purchasable with gold?

i don’t have much atm so wasn’t sure if the option exists or not

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Tried making this work today! Super fun way to play.

Glad you like it.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Cry Havoc posted:

is that Edwin portrait / card back purchasable with gold?

i don’t have much atm so wasn’t sure if the option exists or not

No, not from what I can tell at least.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

ah darn thanks, guess i’ll keep saving up regardless

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I re-crafted Warlock quest and Flesh Giants to find out that Handlock is the most fun high-tier deck RN.

Cry Havoc posted:

ah darn thanks, guess i’ll keep saving up regardless

I think they've stated that all portraits eventually will end up purchasable through gold, you might have to wait a while though.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

yeah i mean rogue seems to have one of the fewest alt portraits but there’s still enough to keep decks varied

I’m thinking more about getting enough missing DoD cards for the dragon coin - what would be the better legendary to craft, ancharr or dragon queen alex? haven’t tried pirate quest warrior in wild, is it really that good / fun? or would alex be the safer craft - there doesn’t seem to be any good highlander decks atm though

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wild pirate quest warrior is super powerful and the quest tutoring ancharr is a big part of why, so if you have any interest at all in the deck, it's a safer craft than alex

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Cry Havoc posted:

yeah i mean rogue seems to have one of the fewest alt portraits but there’s still enough to keep decks varied

I’m thinking more about getting enough missing DoD cards for the dragon coin - what would be the better legendary to craft, ancharr or dragon queen alex? haven’t tried pirate quest warrior in wild, is it really that good / fun? or would alex be the safer craft - there doesn’t seem to be any good highlander decks atm though

I'd go Ancharr. My "try before you buy" policy is still in place, so just message me the next time you see me on and you can play a few games with it. I have a couple of different Wild Quest Pirate built at the moment.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I am ready for the return of nearly completely unsupported Freeze Shaman.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I love when they wait so long between revisiting or enhancing underperforming archetypes that whatever poor support it had before is rotated by the time it comes around again.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I think my favorite thing about Freeze Shaman is the idea that DK Thrall's hero power was originally 'Freeze a minion' but they felt like that was too unfun... in a set where they released DK Rexxar and DK Guldan (with preexisting Cubelock decks).

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Disargeria posted:

I love when they wait so long between revisiting or enhancing underperforming archetypes that whatever poor support it had before is rotated by the time it comes around again.

Maybe they'll have several isolated, poorly supported archetypes in Standard that eventually, when they pile up in Wild, will make something worthwhile.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I think my favorite thing about Freeze Shaman is the idea that DK Thrall's hero power was originally 'Freeze a minion' but they felt like that was too unfun... in a set where they released DK Rexxar and DK Guldan (with preexisting Cubelock decks).

And DK Jaina

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Maybe they'll have several isolated, poorly supported archetypes in Standard that eventually, when they pile up in Wild, will make something worthwhile.

This does kind of happen sometimes. Dragon pally was never really a thing but now it has a critical mass of dragons available to it in wild. The other problem is that newer cards tend to have more power creep, so really old archetypes suffer from their older cards being way too fair to play nowadays.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Freeze shaman didn't really have anything going for it though. Moorabi was supposed to be the big payoff card and it didn't see any play at all. The axe that destroyed frozen minions was complete garbage as well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

My dream for hearthstone is that a freeze shaman legendary gets spoiled every expansion and there never being an actual freeze shaman meta deck.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Chernabog posted:

Freeze shaman didn't really have anything going for it though. Moorabi was supposed to be the big payoff card and it didn't see any play at all. The axe that destroyed frozen minions was complete garbage as well.

supposedly Freeze Shaman was going to be really strong, but at some point a few weeks before the release of the expansion they decided that Freeze Shaman felt too terrible to play against, so they nerfed the key cards into oblivion and released Moorabi knowing that it was a joke.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Has anyone else tried Shadowrattle Priest (or whatever, that's what Kibler calls it atleast)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_os71eAGhzY

I'm not sure how great it really is, but I have gotten to D5 with it and it is a LOT of fun to play.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Has anyone else tried Shadowrattle Priest (or whatever, that's what Kibler calls it atleast)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_os71eAGhzY

I'm not sure how great it really is, but I have gotten to D5 with it and it is a LOT of fun to play.

Yes, I ripped this from someone a day or so after the miniset dropped when I played a fatigue game against it as deathrattle hunter. It is deeply hilarious to play, especially against other ‘big’ decks that cannot even hope to hang with your degeneracy

I really hope that it’s not going to be a meta breaker after the mage nerfs, I don’t think I could handle 15-20% of ladder being endless clown games

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It should lose to lock if nothing else.

I just wish priest had any cool portraits. :v:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

lazul for life

canqued
Jan 18, 2020
I have a bunch of priest options but I only ever use CHADUIN.

(rewards track completion portrait)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I copied this from someone I lost to. I didn't get their whole list so I did some improvising using a similar list. I'm sure it could be better but it's a lot of fun as is. Power Overwhelming on Anklebiter is hilarious and it also enables some massive swings even if you don't have Battlemaster in play. Plus it's a Shadow spell so Tamsin can make it an +8/+8 boost for 1 mana lol. I feel like I should make space for Anetheron somehow but not sure what to cut:

### Windlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 2x (1) Power Overwhelming
# 1x (1) The Soularium
# 2x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Cheaty Anklebiter
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Defile
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 1x (3) Tamsin Roame
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster
# 2x (10) Flesh Giant
# 2x (20) Molten Giant
#
AAEBAcn1AgT6Do+CA/LtA8f5Aw3OBtwK58sC8tAC14kDlc0Dm80D184DwdEDi9UDk+QDg/sD56AEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Edit: swapped Loatheb for Anetheron, going to try swapping Neophyte for Shadowblade Slinger. Makes the deck worse against Odd Quest Hunter, probably better against everything else.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 14, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hours later, this is much better lol:

### Windlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 2x (1) Power Overwhelming
# 1x (1) The Soularium
# 2x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Cheaty Anklebiter
# 2x (2) Defile
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (3) Backfire
# 1x (3) Tamsin Roame
# 2x (4) Runed Mithril Rod
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster
# 2x (10) Flesh Giant
# 2x (12) Mountain Giant
#
AAEBAcn1AgT6Do+CA/LtA8f5Aw3OBuEH58sC8tAC14kDlc0Dm80D184DwdEDk+QDvfEDg/sD56AEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Last chance to play Quest Mage or Garrote Rogue :getin:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1460306704931950597

it's time, bring on the freeze shaman cards

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Low-rolled all morning to 3-9 with my Ignite Mage. Last few weeks were much better, like last week was 5-2 for the weekly. I was 1 turn, 1 damage, or 1 mana off of a few of those games, and my opponents just always seemed to have exactly what they needed. It's been rough.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 15, 2021

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm actually looking forward to playing Quest Rogue and dunking on all Libram Paladins and Handlocks coming up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Glad everyone agreed that Charge and mana cheat were lovely mechanics, yet here we are with Mr. Smite and Big Deathrattle Hunter.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Garotte rogue even that good? It seems like a weird nerf choice.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Will shaman be the only class with 4 schools of magic to choose from?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Did anyone do the new Book of Mercs when it came out? I couldn't even be bothered to finish it, though I did start it.
I've also started just not bothering to do the daily tasks with Mercs, even though I still have finishing the 3 new BRM and heroics on my mental to do list.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Is Garotte rogue even that good? It seems like a weird nerf choice.

Quoting from the latest VS report:

quote:

Garrote Rogue has gotten much stronger following Deadmines and looks like a clear Tier 1 deck at top legend. Not only did it get an upgrade in the form of a new card (Cutlass), the meta has become much more favorable to it. Lifesteal DH was a top counter pick that helped curb Garrote’s power before Deadmines, but the rise of Celestial Alignment and Quest Warrior has crippled its standing in the meta, and Garrote Rogue is now almost uncontested at higher levels. Celestial Druid is favored against Garrote Rogue, but to a lesser degree. It’s also a much weaker deck, with a lower play rate compared to pre-Deadmines LSDH.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Garrote rogue is considered by a lot of pro players as the strongest deck in the history of hearthstone, gated only by how difficult it is to play well. It's basically the d6 memes but actually backed by data.

It's basically the new patron warrior

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

It also has a pretty unfun to lose against 30 damage (or maybe just less) single turn combo finisher (empty the deck, add some spell damage and pull all the garottes in one go). Which is quite impressive to watch but sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emandesunu
May 28, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Will shaman be the only class with 4 schools of magic to choose from?

Mage has 4. Mask of cThun is shadow.