Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really nice little collection of scraps. Most of it whizzes by far too quickly though. Nothing I'd pay cold hard cash for but I happily downloaded it via a streaming platform and will give it a good few listens.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hello radiohead nerds, can you enlighten me on zeroes and ones? It seems like it was intentional, and the two albums play perfectly together, have the band ever admitted it?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
its nonsense

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have Zeros and Ones as a playlist in my iTunes. I have never listened to it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it's a load of nothing. None of the tracks lead into each other at all.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I remember someone on SA being so adamant that if you line them up in the order and set iTunes crossfade to 10 seconds it worked perfectly, and I knew to immediately discount their opinion because crossfade is the rear end-est audio effect ever

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
You know what the second half of the third disc reminds me of? Pink Floyd’s The River.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Got my kid a mnesia copy in and its wonderful. It's no wild rear end 120 bones box set and I'm ok with that.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 9, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

what if AMSP stood for a man’s small penis

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Hello radiohead nerds, can you enlighten me on zeroes and ones? It seems like it was intentional, and the two albums play perfectly together, have the band ever admitted it?

Is that the thing where if you line up Ok Computer and In Rainbows it's supposed to be a complete cohesive thing if you do the track listing Track One Track One Track Two Track Two ...?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, two elements, one do the the tracks make sense in that order (I think they do, it's an interesting exercise at least to listen for parallels and similarities) and two would radiohead do some absurd pointless intellectual mind game like that? (gently caress yess have you met radio head)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I don’t think the production qualities of the two albums match. One is pristine, grand, and futuristic. It’s sound is either bright to the point of nearing blindness, or pitch dark. The other is intimate and (relatively) restrained while remaining creative and colorful.

I would say AMSP is more of a sister album. The same spirit weary of the hellworld OK Computer foretold, just more defeated.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2021

DVD Pizza
Oct 25, 2009

sebmojo posted:

and two would radiohead do some absurd pointless intellectual mind game like that? (gently caress yess have you met radio head)
I don't think they would, actually? Radiohead really loves to gently caress with peoples' expectations, they love elaborate artbooks full of weird cryptic spookiness, and they're absolutely huge nerds who do absurd pointless poo poo, but I don't think they're into super conceptual or "puzzle"-y type stuff, the way Dream Theater or some other proggier band would. Different members of the band have gone on record saying OK Computer isn't a concept album, and while they've done some really left-fieldish marketing stuff they've never done an ARG or anything like that, even as much as a lot of fans were obsessed with the idea in 2011 or whatever (TKOL part 2).

(this is only explicit acknowledgement I could find by anyone in the band of the Zeroes and Ones theory, for what it's worth)

I think the reason the tracks make sense in order on both albums is because Radiohead are really intensely focused on track orders, but I think it's just in service to making something that's satisfying to listen to as a whole. If you interlace two of their albums and the order of everything is largely the same, it makes sense that it'd still maintain some cohesion and a similar sense of progression, I think.

That said, I don't wanna piss on anyone's parade here, that's absolutely not my intention. If the Zeroes and Ones theory is your thing and you think it's an interesting exercise, go wild. Finding new ways to appreciate old music is cool and good imo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, none of the band actually seem to care much about all the meta-analysis and toying with fans. I would chalk about 95% of that end of things up to Stanley Donwood. I know Thom will team up with him sometimes to get in on some shenanigans, but I suspect most of the stuff that really gets Radiohead fans looking extra hard at the band for greater meaning comes from Donwood and his admittedly brilliant art direction.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
personally, i'm not a fan of the zeroes and ones theory (and, by extension, of the entire brand of theory-crafting it belongs to). it just feels like it's mostly exists to prove a neat high-concept idea someone had, and it breaks down the two albums into little pieces and then compares the pieces to each other - piece by piece, treating each correlation as proof and discarding anything that doesn't fit - in order to make it work. which basically amounts to doing art analysis in reverse, imo

plus, this approach completely neglects minor stuff like "context" and "artistic and emotional cohesiveness" and "what's the point of embarking on a ten-year creative endeavor to make an elaborate easter egg work when it's not really contributing anything substantial to the original works"

like, it's fine to mix and match and experiment with your favourite band's music and experiment with sequencing tracks differently and everything - i myself have some Strong Opinions about which Radiohead albums should be mashed together. but i wouldn't try and pretend that i'd cracked some Secret Code left by Thom Yorke which points towards Pablo Honey being a A Moon Shaped Pool in reverse or something

besides, it's not like OK Computer and In Rainbows even sound all that similar (as much as music produced by the same group of people can)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nurmie posted:

personally, i'm not a fan of the zeroes and ones theory (and, by extension, of the entire brand of theory-crafting it belongs to). it just feels like it's mostly exists to prove a neat high-concept idea someone had, and it breaks down the two albums into little pieces and then compares the pieces to each other - piece by piece, treating each correlation as proof and discarding anything that doesn't fit - in order to make it work. which basically amounts to doing art analysis in reverse, imo

plus, this approach completely neglects minor stuff like "context" and "artistic and emotional cohesiveness" and "what's the point of embarking on a ten-year creative endeavor to make an elaborate easter egg work when it's not really contributing anything substantial to the original works"

like, it's fine to mix and match and experiment with your favourite band's music and experiment with sequencing tracks differently and everything - i myself have some Strong Opinions about which Radiohead albums should be mashed together. but i wouldn't try and pretend that i'd cracked some Secret Code left by Thom Yorke which points towards Pablo Honey being a A Moon Shaped Pool in reverse or something

besides, it's not like OK Computer and In Rainbows even sound all that similar (as much as music produced by the same group of people can)

i'm not going to convince anyone, but for me:

ok computer, ten letters, starts with 0
in rainbows, ten letters, starts with 1

okc is sort of cold, in rainbows is sort of warm

and the fact its a pleasant and interesting listening experience putting them together is plenty. Along with the lack of 'wtf? no.' denials.

even if it's completely made up, so what? death of the artist.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

sebmojo posted:

i'm not going to convince anyone, but for me:

ok computer, ten letters, starts with 0
in rainbows, ten letters, starts with 1

okc is sort of cold, in rainbows is sort of warm

and the fact its a pleasant and interesting listening experience putting them together is plenty. Along with the lack of 'wtf? no.' denials.

even if it's completely made up, so what? death of the artist.

hope my post didn't come off as too harsh :) but imo what you're describing is totally fine and even good (and yeah, death of the artist and all that)

what sits wrong with me is assigning intent to the artist (which iirc the original theory kinda sorta did) and trying to fit everything into a framework based on that assigned intent. that just feels like, i dunno, doing necromancy on the author or something

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nurmie posted:

hope my post didn't come off as too harsh :) but imo what you're describing is totally fine and even good (and yeah, death of the artist and all that)

what sits wrong with me is assigning intent to the artist (which iirc the original theory kinda sorta did) and trying to fit everything into a framework based on that assigned intent. that just feels like, i dunno, doing necromancy on the author or something

all good goonfriend.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

nurmie posted:

Yeah it sort of seems like fan fiction. Which is fine, whatever. But fan fiction is fan fiction, it's not necessarily the artist's intent. Believing it's 100% true is the same poo poo conspiracy nuts do, just stringing together coincidences.

But yeah it's not really the band's style in general. Thom has made comments about his creative process being fairly stream of consciousness anyways iirc. They're pretty meticulous about album composition but I think you can't read too deeply into it beyond them really wanting to create a strong piece of art.

(Which imo it all is and stands on its own without creating some sort of Radiohead Expanded Universe out of it. And it's fine if you want to do it, but again, it's fan fiction.)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
on a slightly different note, there's this one interesting bit of musical trickery that radiohead have done a couple of times that i'm reminded of for some reason (it's probably been discussed in this thread already but imo it's cool enough to bring up again). i don't know the proper name for it but it basically involves obfuscating where the downbeat is, leading to a bit of a "woah" moment when you start to realise where it actually falls. the most infamous example is Videotape (this video explains the whole thing really well), however, it also crops up on Little by Little, and that doesn't get mentioned as often

it's possible to pick up on in the From the Basement version of Little By Little, for example - if you try, you can perceive the main guitar riff as actually falling on the off-beats despite trying really hard to pretend otherwise, which makes the entire song kind of shift into this syncopated rhythm pattern. imo its easiest to hear on chorus/verse transitions, particularly on the bridge-to-last-chorus section. plus, there are hints throughout (the countdown at the very beginning, Thom's foot tapping, where the crash cymbals land)

other notable radiohead and radiohead-adjacent songs that are kinda fuzzy on the topic of where exactly their downbeat is include the AMSP versions of Ful Stop and Identikit (at least in the intro) and Atoms for Peace's Unless (my brain refuses to consistently parse the downbeat in that one at all)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The most hosed up Radiohead song as far as the identifying the downbeat is by far The Butcher. It can easily take until the vocals come in to actually hear it properly.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, none of the band actually seem to care much about all the meta-analysis and toying with fans.

Then why haven't they ever revealed what the man in the video for Just says at the end :colbert:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Volte posted:

The most hosed up Radiohead song as far as the identifying the downbeat is by far The Butcher. It can easily take until the vocals come in to actually hear it properly.

This song rules, wish they’d do a live one

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This song rules, wish they’d do a live one

Yeah. Supercollider live is/was great.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The video game is fuckin awesome. Absolutely download it if you get a chance. It’s free!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's really well done. I still have a ton of stuff left to see but I spent like 90 minutes in it this afternoon. The last thing I did was the room where, for lack of a better explanation, you float around inside How To Disappear Completely. Pyramid Song was next but I had to go out so that's where I left it. Definitely recommend playing (is that the right word?) with headphones.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Big fan of how many little guys there are

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It's pretty amazing. Probably their best non-album release.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The third disc of Kid A Mnesia makes a bit more sense now - I thought it felt like a soundtrack album when I first heard it, and now in retrospect, it feels like the soundtrack companion to the exhibition. It was cool that they featured True Love Waits and the piano take of Spinning Plates in the exhibition. Makes them feel more "official" and less like demo versions on a bonus disc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That game is going to give someone a seizure

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That game is going to give someone a seizure

So amazing to play this game on headphones, but it appears the vocal stems they used were horribly compressed. Thoms sounded like mp3 quality which was jarring as there is a really dope event that happens with 3 signature songs (no spoilers).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really hope in 2027 or whatever we get an expanded In Rainbows with the aborted self-produced/Spike Stent sessions. The thought that there’s an alternate partial album just hanging around somewhere in their vaults is really cool to me, and those tracks would easily be my Radiohead holy grail.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
it's flat out weird imagining a non-godrich radiohead album

There probably is a reason they abandoned it, but it would be very interesting to hear

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think those sessions really produced anything, hence why they abandoned them.

Barry Foster posted:

it's flat out weird imagining a non-godrich radiohead album
The Bends?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Volte posted:

I don't think those sessions really produced anything, hence why they abandoned them.

The Bends?

Ok, I guess I mean "modern Radiohead"

I should've said "now"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I really hope in 2027 or whatever we get an expanded In Rainbows with the aborted self-produced/Spike Stent sessions. The thought that there’s an alternate partial album just hanging around somewhere in their vaults is really cool to me, and those tracks would easily be my Radiohead holy grail.

I don’t know the history behind what you’re describing, but based on how incredibly inessential IR Disc 2 was, can’t we assume that they only have 10-ish viable songs from the era?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know the history behind what you’re describing, but based on how incredibly inessential IR Disc 2 was, can’t we assume that they only have 10-ish viable songs from the era?
Yeah I think they played all the songs they were working on during the 2006 tour, including most of the IR Disc 2 stuff. A few of the songs we know they rehearsed at the time (like Burn The Witch) never saw the light of day but I don't think there's any indication that they actually recorded any of them. Given how early on they played the In Rainbows material live relative to its release, I don't think the hypothetical "alternate" versions would really be any different. More likely they would be bare-bones unfinished versions of the same songs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am an unashamed huge fan of Bangers and Mash. Ofc Just is still also one of my favourite Radiohead songs so I'm just one of Those People

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Walrus posted:

I am an unashamed huge fan of Bangers and Mash. Ofc Just is still also one of my favourite Radiohead songs so I'm just one of Those People

Bangers is legit top 10 Radiohead for me. It’s basically a Talking Heads song. The studio version’s production also hints at the direction they’d go with King of Limbs.

Volte posted:

From what I gathered mainly from interviews with Ed, the self-produced sessions yielded basically complete recordings of at least a few songs, then they got self conscious, brought in Stent who then said the tracks weren’t up to par, and the new sessions with Stent fell apart some time after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jewmanji posted:

Just me that absolutely adores that disc then?