Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath posted:

What the gently caress is this in reference to and do I really want to know

I think it refers to the nostalgia critic video about pink floyd's "the wall" which was done as like a musical with a bunch of other youtubers and uh... trent reznor or someone involved as well??

I only know it from the folding ideas video about that video and as I have never listened to pink floyd it is a bit lost on me but oh jesus christ is the nostalgia critic video dreadful on its own merits.

This is the folding ideas vid if you want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokAtlFGa7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OwlFancier posted:

I can not imagine greenwald being a lawyer, I thought he was just a gobshite.
I have known some incredibly stupid lawyers, even in California where the bar is considered one of the toughest in the country.

Even the really sharp ones are frequently "I was a loving idiot for becoming a lawyer"

In other news, TERFs are having a go at Tori Amos

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OwlFancier posted:

I only know it from the folding ideas video about that video and as I have never listened to pink floyd it is a bit lost on me but oh jesus christ is the nostalgia critic video dreadful on its own merits.

Yeah the short of it is that NC just took the content at face value and didn't bother doing any kind of actual analysis of it. He just recreated it using his own persona with really bad parody lyrics. Also it had a bizarre furry animation thing during the last scene for... Reasons?

Anyway I second the recommendation of the Folding Ideas video breaking it down. It's a bit of a wild ride that can't be done justice in any kind of text summary. People misunderstand Pink Floyd's (or any artist, really) songs all the time, but this dude is a self-proclaimed film critic and he just takes it to levels you can never even imagine.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Nov 13, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I think it refers to the nostalgia critic video about pink floyd's "the wall" which was done as like a musical with a bunch of other youtubers and uh... trent reznor or someone involved as well??

trent reznor was NOT involved in this lol. you're probably thinking of corey taylor, the dude from slipknot, who actually was for some inexplicable reason (his son is supposedly a fan of channel awesome and is also in that video, but that's no excuse)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I have known some incredibly stupid lawyers, even in California where the bar is considered one of the toughest in the country.

Even the really sharp ones are frequently "I was a loving idiot for becoming a lawyer"

Imagine "learning" after you graduate school. Fuckin woke bullshit imo. Who I was at 20 is who I shall remain.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skwirl posted:

"I love art, I just don't think music is art" Is a loving amazing take. Reading it felt like I was in a Matrix esque film shoot with a bazilion camera capturing my facial distortions of my reaction so they could fully spin around my face and capture everything.

It'd be hilarious if the dude went full Plato and argued that music is mind control and should be banned due to the wiley way it manipulates emotions rather than helping one find Truth like real art

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Tori Amos being a trans ally is good, but also one of the least surprising things ever. The stories TERFs must tell themselves where they didn't think Tori Amos was pro trans are insane.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Occasionally I Google. Like tonight.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

nurmie posted:

trent reznor was NOT involved in this lol. you're probably thinking of corey taylor, the dude from slipknot, who actually was for some inexplicable reason (his son is supposedly a fan of channel awesome and is also in that video, but that's no excuse)

Corey doesn't give a poo poo, he's in the Eric Roberts school of "I'll do any old poo poo if it means I get to have fun". (e.g. the time he was on Doctor Who)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TinTower posted:

Corey doesn't give a poo poo, he's in the Eric Roberts school of "I'll do any old poo poo if it means I get paid". (e.g. everything hes been involved in after the slipknot s/t)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

Occasionally I Google. Like tonight.

God I can never keep up

Just keep falling on my face

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

How dare a WOMAN not be afraid of penises like I am

What is wrong with her??!??!?!?!?!

Why is she being nice to people I hate 😫

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Tori Amos being a trans ally is good, but also one of the least surprising things ever. The stories TERFs must tell themselves where they didn't think Tori Amos was pro trans are insane.
I'm not surprised but I am loving relieved. Like Linehan or Rowling or Robert Webb, sure, it's not great to have new prominent people twisting our existence into sone kind of LGBTQanon narrative, but Tori would have been one that actually crushed part of my soul

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm glad she's speaking up after being silent all these years

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I'm not surprised but I am loving relieved. Like Linehan or Rowling or Robert Webb, sure, it's not great to have new prominent people twisting our existence into sone kind of LGBTQanon narrative, but Tori would have been one that actually crushed part of my soul

I am so so relieved she isn't. I'm not anywhere near the firing-line of the terfs but it'd still break my heart for Tori to be one of the bad ones. Transphobia is so stupid and so so mean :( stop hurting people who already have a shitload of hard stuff to deal with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pookah posted:

I am so so relieved she isn't. I'm not anywhere near the firing-line of the terfs but it'd still break my heart for Tori to be one of the bad ones. Transphobia is so stupid and so so mean :( stop hurting people who already have a shitload of hard stuff to deal with.

I'm just making up ideas that famous people might have, but I think Robert Webb's trans issue is a genuine belief that young boys exhibiting feminine traits are being pressured to transition to being a girl/woman, which I also wouldn't want to happen, but I also know doesn't happen. I suspect/hope Robert Webb will have a "come to Jesus" moment where he realizes how wrong he's been about the whole thing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

How dare a WOMAN not be afraid of penises like I am

What is wrong with her??!??!?!?!?!

Why is she being nice to people I hate 😫
and these are the same people nattering on with poo poo like this:

Even fake goth Cathy Brennan has largely been ostracized for saying "hey, is it really feminist ti take money from the heritage foundation and post on kiwi farms?"

Skwirl posted:

I'm just making up ideas that famous people might have, but I think Robert Webb's trans issue is a genuine belief that young boys exhibiting feminine traits are being pressured to transition to being a girl/woman, which I also wouldn't want to happen, but I also know doesn't happen. I suspect/hope Robert Webb will have a "come to Jesus" moment where he realizes how wrong he's been about the whole thing.
He's doubled down at every opportunity. And yeah, he's one of the "trans ideology is conversion therapy" dildos but I think most of it is his own particular experience as a man presenting with a few stereotypically feminine behaviors which, of course, is the only proper and good way to do it.

So gently caress him. Even if he comes around, he's gonna have to do a lot of work to build trust and make amends, but why do that when you can dig in your heels and have cocaine canapes with Piers Morgan and Ricky Gervais?

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Nov 13, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Skwirl posted:

If he thought for even a minute, he'd ask "who???"
Who is in a position to convince young boys to transition?
He himself is a grown cis man who has exhibited what he would describe as "feminine" attributes, but he's not trans, he knows he isn't. I know I amn't either. I do not adhere to the generally accepted roles for my gender but I'm not in the least uncomfortable with my gender assignment, I do not have the itch in the head so many trans people describe when they talk about feeling 'wrong' for so much of their lives. I am not in the least qualified to judge or adjudicate on. I know I don't know enough about the subject to express an informed opinion on it, so why can't he?

He could just shut up and let people who know what they are actually talking about discuss the issue, or barge in and explain complex and highly nuanced issues to experts in those topics as though they were noobs.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Hasn't Robert Webb been an outspoken Tory since long before Brits set their sights on trans people?

I remember watching Peepshow and people reminding me he was a massive POS.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Feliday Melody posted:

Hasn't Robert Webb been an outspoken Tory since long before Brits set their sights on trans people?

Yeah, David Mitchell is the nice one of the pair. Webb's a total rear end in a top hat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nurmie posted:

It's kind of a running theme that I cannot remember any celebrity, last week I got brian cox (terrible UK melt and part time astrophysicist) confused with brian may from queen on the basis they they both have phds and are called brian.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Nov 13, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Not familiar with the term “melt”. From context I’m getting “prick with an annoying voice and way of speaking that makes interesting subject matter unwatchable.” Is that close?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is a fairly general pejorative technically but usually I and others use it to describe terminal political centrism, like always trying to position yourself into the worst middle of the road take that is also somehow aggressively garbage, and seeing the fact that everyone thinks you're an idiot for it as vindication that you must be right.

More generally it means like, weak willed, unwilling to take a stand, "going soft" as it would suggest. I'm sure you know how that works in politics.

Like pete buttgieg, brian cox is pete buttgieg.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Nov 13, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Heh, thanks. I mostly just wanted to complain about him hosting too many things I’ve otherwise wanted to watch, but good to know.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Feliday Melody posted:

I mean it's not even s Labour/Tory/Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party issue

Although, I guess he had his own Linehan "NO ONE IS SUPPOSED TO LIKE THIS CHARACTER SO IT'S OKAY TO USE SLURS!!!1!" moment

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1459236721837674498?t=b_pbyqcfbe-xcfiJ-tdmUA&s=19

The idiot is Ben

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

TinTower posted:

Corey doesn't give a poo poo, he's in the Eric Roberts school of "I'll do any old poo poo if it means I get to have fun". (e.g. the time he was on Doctor Who)

He's still doing Doctor Who with Big Finish, he's great!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Brawnfire posted:

I'm glad she's speaking up after being silent all these years

:emptyquote:

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I too am now intensely aware of the overwhelming psychic damage I'd be taking if Tori had ended up the other way. :dogstare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OwlFancier posted:

It's kind of a running theme that I cannot remember any celebrity, last week I got brian cox (terrible UK melt and part time astrophysicist) confused with brian may from queen on the basis they they both have phds and are called brian.

I only recognize one person named Brian Cox, and he pistol whips people who use the word "shenanigans" too much :colbert:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pookah posted:

Transphobia is so stupid and so so mean :( stop hurting people who already have a shitload of hard stuff to deal with.
Yeah, this. Just...stop being assholes, people! If I, as a middle class cis white dude in the STEM world, can be accepting of other different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences, anyone can. This really isn't hard! At the risk of making this somewhat a personal story: I got exposed to so many fascinating wildly different backstories in grad school, it was genuinely fascinating. When I was in student leadership, I really did try my best to be available to everyone, listen to complaints from any person/group, and try to accommodate to make their lives easier. I would think it's not hard to make the slightest of effort but maybe I'm wrong according to *gestures at the state of the world*

Feliday Melody posted:

Sad to learn today that half of "Mitchell and Webb" are Bad, Actually. :(

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Nov 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zero_Grade posted:

Sad to learn today that half of "Mitchell and Webb" are Bad, Actually. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxS1H7oqrSI but instead of Daryl it's irl Webb

plw don't tell me the Daryl actor is also a tory

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah, this. Just...stop being assholes, people! If I, as a middle class cis white dude in the STEM world, can be accepting of other different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences, anyone can. This really isn't hard! At the risk of making this somewhat a personal story: I got exposed to so many fascinating wildly different backstories in grad school, it was genuinely fascinating. When I was in student leadership, I really did try my best to be available to everyone, listen to complaints from any person/group, and try to accommodate to make their lives easier. I would think it's not hard to make the slightest of effort but maybe I'm wrong according to *gestures at the state of the world*

People love to feel like they're on a crusade and it turns out this is much easier if the people you have decided to crusade against have very little ability to stop you.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Skwirl posted:

I could have seen Amos going TERF only because she always seemed had a sort of "woo" attitude towards femininity. A lot of people who attach some sort of ineffable sacredness to gender turn TERF. I'm glad she didn't because now I don't have to disown my copy of Boys for Pele which remains an awesome album.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Yes I was about to say the same, I could have seen it going either way with all the 'sacred femininity' themes in her stuff, but I'm really glad she turned out to be cool :unsmith:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Feliday Melody posted:

I saw a twitter meme about SA taking a generation of dysfunctional boys and turning them into prosperous women.

Jokes aside. It's kind of jarring at times because I'll hang out with some cool people. Then get invited to a discord of just a semi-related community and all of a sudden it's "SS officer Pepe" emotes all the way down.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with that. It's all the more bizarre when I can't get an actual read on their politics. Like, I'll dig a little further down and find out the person with the anime femboy nazi pfp is a trans girl and she'll post some clearly leftist sentiments, but everything else is just an endless wall of ironyposting so many layers deep it's completely inscrutable. And it's never just one person, it's a handful of people posting like this all day along with their own injokes, occasionally touching on the idea of being utterly blackpilled. I've had pretty much this exact dynamic repeat itself in a handful of niche discords and I just don't have the willingness to try to unpack any of it

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The best thing to do is just back away and go somewhere else.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is up with that. It's all the more bizarre when I can't get an actual read on their politics. Like, I'll dig a little further down and find out the person with the anime femboy nazi pfp is a trans girl and she'll post some clearly leftist sentiments, but everything else is just an endless wall of ironyposting so many layers deep it's completely inscrutable. And it's never just one person, it's a handful of people posting like this all day along with their own injokes, occasionally touching on the idea of being utterly blackpilled. I've had pretty much this exact dynamic repeat itself in a handful of niche discords and I just don't have the willingness to try to unpack any of it

i was in a discord that had mostly people that were 25~30, and a couple youngins. someone who was like, 18 or something, didn't understand why we all thought pepes were for nazis, because they considered it just a teenager thing and normal. so idk, maybe it's a young person ironyposting thing??

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Oh yeah that's just one crop of trans girls whose eggs cracked on 4chan (not all of them tho, some made it out intact)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Afaik, Pepe's been reclaimed to an extent and shouldn't be seen as undeniable evidence of alt-rightery anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's crypto-fasc stuff but you can tell the racist pepe from the real pepe p. easy if you're internet poisoned. anyways it's terminal.