Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rollick posted:

I'm the guy who thinks the best Powerup related thing is the Paul Bunyan Zone

Wait, is that related? Paul Bunyan Zone owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You will never be able to drive off Cat Loaf.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Donald Trump used to post here after he got run off of Twitter, but he got permabanned for piss posting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lowtax used to post here until

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tenebrais posted:

She had an account once, posted for a little while, then didn't stick around. It was been a running thing in the many years since that goons would wail over how she was driven away by bad posting and hassle her begging her to come back that we're better now. I think that part has now mainly given way to goons joking about it.

And then it also turned out that she wasn't driven away, she just got bored with the forum. What actually turned her off in the end wasn't the forum, but goons endlessly going up to her at conventions apologizing for how she got driven off

Also, hey Unwinder! Gamer Dilbert and Abbeycourt are both incredibly funny and charming and were probably my favorite thing that got posted here. I'm looking forward to more, whenever you get around to it

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So wait, it's a cat but it's also bread?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Push El Burrito posted:

So wait, it's a cat but it's also bread?

It's 100% cat and 100% bread.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You know how a cat will sometimes tuck in its legs when lying on its stomach, making it appear not dissimilar to a loaf of bread? It's a cute thing cats do, stretched into a long form comic.

Like, try to spot the cat in the below picture:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm posting this in both threads, because I treat the forums and discord like a live-journal but for comic making, so apologies in advance if you don't give a poo poo lol.

My wife's work got me into this little, like, 20 person online comic writing workshop. I don't want to doxx myself, but it had a pretty big name there in the digital art world. It was really fun, and I learned a lot, and that's going to trickle down into my work with various degrees of success over the next few days. Though something they said that really stuck with me is how we consumed content has changed. Before, the name of the game was consistency, that when you made a comic or a YouTube, you had to constantly be putting out on a consistent schedule to make it in the algorithm. What they said was more important now was taking the time to make something good. People will engage with your content when you make it. You're competing with every single other thing that exists on the internet. That means they're not bored waiting for you to create like it used to be. They'll get a little pop up or notification if they really care, and they'll check in on you. The best thing to do is to take as much time as you need, and post when it's finished. Don't spend years trying to craft the perfect thing and don't create poo poo because you feel you need to update every Monday and Friday. Simply make the best work you can and post when it's done. Don't let perfect impede finished. :justpost: basically.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

back to the breakneck pacing of GOBLINS

Like this is the perfect example of what to avoid, and he actually used Goblins and a few other comics to show what not to do. (I wish I had taken screenshots,) where, basically they felt like it had been too long since an update, so they finished a little chunk just to throw something out there, even though it made little sense as a page, or part of the story. They pointed out that Goblins had about 17 pages a year on average, and that some of them were like this, that it was honestly OK to post 8 times a year to avoid pages like this, because something that can be shared, even out of context is intensely more useful for being seen.

I thought that was really cool. There was also some stuff that I actually started doing, and they went over the technical aspects of web comics. Like why you choose certain colors for the backgrounds of a comic page, how big gutters need to be, why to mess with them, when to draw the back of a scene, and when you can skip it. They went over fonts and stuff, and I actually got to ask questions and show off some of my work. A lot of the people there had said they had nothing to show because they were still working on it. I actually got kudos for just making something, and people were messaging me after about how "brave" I was. Which secretly kind of made me feel like poo poo, because we all know what brave means lol. (It means I look like a boy wearing make up and a dress, and that I put myself out there even though it looks like poo poo. u_u)

I got to ask on basically 1:1 experience (with a bunch of people watching) about some of the design things I'm doing, like the slightly tinted boxes and mixing fonts, and they thrilled me when I got feedback. (It's fine mostly, they complimented me on that, and how it was cool to take how a font and color feels and using that to add personage to a character outside of writing and drawing.)

It was a lot of fun; I learned a lot, and the entire time I got to poo poo post in GBS while learning. Big win for me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Paladinus posted:

It's 100% cat and 100% bread.

Sorta like the eucharist

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Nov 14, 2021

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Tom Siddell used to post here too (until goons drove him off)
Well I'm one famous person you dildos won't be able to drive off

Barry Bluejeans posted:

"well I'll let them bury me but I'm not gonna like it" :colbert:

DYING 😂

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is it rude to ask a famous person what they're famous for, or who they are? Sorry Ellie :c

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Sounds like decent advice. I'm a goddamn perfectionist when it comes to artistic endeavors, and one of the hardest but most important lessons I'm still struggling with is to settle for "good enough".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slimy Hog posted:

Sorta like the eucharist

The Eucharist is Christ in substance, but bread in appearance. It's more like Jesus's two natures, but the difference is that Jesus's two natures don't mix, there's no separate entity of a Man God, there's only Jesus who is both Man and God.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Nov 14, 2021

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

Is it rude to ask a famous person what they're famous for, or who they are? Sorry Ellie :c

She's famous for being the sole inheritor of the Trashcakes family fortune.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If I had to make sure all of my art was good or even acceptable by society I would never post.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm DB Cooper

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

you look just like a cute version of one of my high school friends

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Paladinus posted:

The Eucharist is Christ in substance, but bread in appearance. It's more like Jesus's two natures, but the difference is that Jesus's two natures don't mix, there's no separate entity of a Man God, there's only Jesus who is both Man and God.

I love this thread

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Weird that Richard Branson is being compared to these two. They are the first and second richest man on the planet, and Branson is barely in the top 500.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I looked this up and don't like what I saw. Not one bit.

Unwinder posted:

And nobody's driving me off here, but I don't intend to be here often/much for previously stated reasons.

Will you be my girlfriend?
I will protect you from the bad goons and comb your hair.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Paladinus posted:

drat it. I was trying to figure out an essence/energies joke but was too lazy and thought "eucharist" would just be passed over... I should never underestimate goons.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

trapped mouse posted:

Weird that Richard Branson is being compared to these two. They are the first and second richest man on the planet, and Branson is barely in the top 500.
Sure, but he's also been doing the space prick bit.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

you look just like a cute version of one of my high school friends
Did you go to school in California because I have a number of doppelgangers floating around this state and I wanna know if I have to travel when the inevitable highlander situation arrives

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Did you go to school in California because I have a number of doppelgangers floating around this state and I wanna know if I have to travel when the inevitable highlander situation arrives

nah, texas, and she lives in hawaii now.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

I told you, Garfield! I loving told you not to touch that cookie!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

nah, texas, and she lives in hawaii now.
God damnit I have to schlepp all the way out to Hawaii? Or her all the way here?

Although it may be an Orphan Black situation and I'm the token trans clone 🙃

Btw, thanks, flattery will het you everywhere

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Unwinder posted:

Thanks, I'm on some webcomic Facebook groups and it drives me loving nuts to see people nitpicking about different shading styles and fonts for a comic they'll never be satisfied with enough to post.

And nobody's driving me off here, but I don't intend to be here often/much for previously stated reasons.

I want to profess my love for Abbeycourt Manor. My favorite two lines:

Mr. Humbleston
Life Savings: One groat

And

"This con will unfairly damage the reputation of the Romani people.... But I don't care!"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I laugh every time i think of the third panel here

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, when you don't change the poses ever you can do a lot with a little

Unwinder
Nov 12, 2021

Plus tard, couillons!

Boba Pearl posted:

Before, the name of the game was consistency, that when you made a comic or a YouTube, you had to constantly be putting out on a consistent schedule to make it in the algorithm. What they said was more important now was taking the time to make something good. People will engage with your content when you make it. You're competing with every single other thing that exists on the internet. That means they're not bored waiting for you to create like it used to be. They'll get a little pop up or notification if they really care, and they'll check in on you. The best thing to do is to take as much time as you need, and post when it's finished.

I agree with the reasoning here but I am obviously philosophically at odds with their conclusion. Posting on a schedule is indeed no longer important, but it's much better to post a lot of ideas fast than it is to post something perfect now and then. I guess what this guy was mostly against was posting padded filler (based on that example image), which I agree with. But it's much more important to get a lot of ideas out there and hope that some of them stick than it is to post consistent quality.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nice avatar there.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

My first post in this thread was one year and one month ago today. I was asking for more gamer dilbert. Where is gamer dilbert.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't know how abbeycourt made me care about its stupid characters, but it did. It’s incredible really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

something about the super advanced CRT oscilloscope just makes me nostalgic. you can't have 90s sci-fi without it