Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

RIP file photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
anyone who feels weird or uncomfortable about this whole thing should probably know the gofundme going to the kids is at 78k right now so there's something good offsetting his selfish bullshit. some tiny solace but i'll take it

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

livestreaming eating things with your mouth. wtf is up with that anyway?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

zer0spunk posted:

a 260-page thread where we try and disseminate the early pointless death of an exiled figure that slowly pivots to a roast of a spite suicide with a dramatic cameo from some weirdo with a mouthful of cum...is the most SA thing possible, really nailed the tone and spirit of this place.

i'm proud of us

I'm personally enjoying the infinite loop of cognitive dissonance whenever someone meanders in to post variants on "I miss the old SA where you could make fun of anyone for being different or having mental issues" and (often within the very same post) "How dare you make fun of Lowtax for being an abusive rear end in a top hat and holding that against him"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
*singing at the funeral, in an operatic, Josh Groban-esque baritone, to the tune of "Amazing Grace"*

im gay, im gay, im gay, im gay
im gay, im gay, im gaaaaaaaaay~

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SA's mail server landed on one of the blocklists (likely from all the emails going out over the last few days), so it was having some issues delivering mail to certain domains. Emails to these domains are now routed through a different provider that is not blocked.

If you or anyone you know was having issues with resetting their password or otherwise receiving emails from the forums to a known-good email address, please first have them try again, then if it still isn't working please contact us.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ihki posted:

Even beyond obsessing over some single disagreeable post that mentioned SJWs literally 100 pages ago, over and over and over again, tirelessly attacking people for critically reflecting on their history with Lowtax or this forum or whatever just looks like the kind of mental baggage that, speaking from my own experience, I hope people can learn to let go. Lowtax couldn't. It's one thing to say a witty thing about a dead guy you came to hate, another to just repeat the same act of bitter compulsion, lmaoing like you're looping on acid. I bet it feels the same as it looks, a weird depersonalized anxiety. Maybe that's also a process of grieving, I don't know.

No, you've put it perfectly, that's grief right there, it's a loop. There's the anxiety and the flashbacks and it won't leave you alone. But normal grief has these stages and it eventually dissipates as you come to terms with it and integrate the event into your life in some way, although there may be some things that trigger you.

Then there's extended PTSD which sounds like it might be something you're suffering from. Unfortunately some people don't recognize that as a possible syndrome, they think it's their personality.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Loved the tax and the crabs. The blonski was an endearingly awkward racist grampa. Pity about the richs.
1999 Lowtax would've been proud of this thread.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm personally enjoying the infinite loop of cognitive dissonance whenever someone meanders in to post variants on "I miss the old SA where you could make fun of anyone for being different or having mental issues" and (often within the very same post) "How dare you make fun of Lowtax for being an abusive rear end in a top hat and holding that against him"

i don't know what they are idolizing anyway. i migrated from an even dumber game-specific forum in '99 to SA at the start of it..there was never a period of time here where there wasn't at least one other person keeping it from becoming a sitewide cesspool. they are glorifying a time period that doesn't exist or confusing subforums for the entire shebang. the edgelords were even cringier back then but there was backlash to it more often than not, and rightfully so. this wild west faux nostalgia is puzzling

plus you know some of them actually enjoyed also never having to develop and staying eternally in 2004 just like the guy who owned the place

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Tafferling posted:

Loved the tax and the crabs. The blonski was an endearingly awkward racist grampa. Pity about the richs.
1999 Lowtax would've been proud of this thread.

1999 Lowtax would tell 2021 Lowtax to kill himself.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Moola posted:

I drew a picture of me and Screamy during happier times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Here at forims.somefalafel.com is one of the few remaining bastions where the members are aggressively committed to their guiding quintessential axiom, in this case "The internet makes you very stupid and hella dead".

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's pretty depressing to see the slow slide of Lowtax from a very smart, very funny guy into a mentally ill domestic abuser. I think knowing he had thrown away millions of dollars did a number on his mind and really brought out those negative personality traits.

It's ok to feel bad for the victims of a terrible person like that but also feel bad for the fact that the guy had something terribly broken inside of him that made him such a miserable piece of poo poo.

A broken mind can ruin so many lives.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Moola posted:

I drew a picture of me and Screamy during happier times

That's a fuckin av right there

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

ewe2 posted:

Then there's extended PTSD which sounds like it might be something you're suffering from. Unfortunately some people don't recognize that as a possible syndrome, they think it's their personality.
Ive managed to pull off coming across as colorfully quirky and laid back in my weird clothes and weird hair and weird face when dealing with the people here day-to-day, even though I am pretty much having a perpetual panic attack just being around people. I moved to a tiny tiny town to help me deal, but its near impossible to feel any connection with another human being. My wife was the only living human being on earth i really liked, and when she died, i dont feel like i ever dealt with that, and never shared any of my thoughts or frustrations really. When people would drop by to see if i was feeding myself, i would just tell a little joke and put on Tropic Thunder and that would be that.
I just feel.. wrong.. everywhere.. and like a dozen different people in my head, screaming nonsense. Its scary and i hate it but there are times when things feel okay.. i like those times.. Just gotta wait out the bad ones..

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sex Robot posted:

That's a fuckin av right there

We need a Screamy gangtag.

We can all explain years later that it's from when lowtax died but we instead commemorated the life and times of a goldfish that got frozen and stored for a long time because its owner didn't bury it.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

"It's not a deathcult!" I startle the clerk in the frozen foods section as I scream inside one of the freezers containing ready-to-eat meals.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rick posted:

Just wish to say I've laughed at several of your posts in this thread.

Namaste, will you be my gf

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

ewe2 posted:

I don't know if I'd call it that, but my methods of de-/personalization in neurotic introspection combined with protectively selective if introverted honesty (a sort of obverse to anxious and faux-nihilistic repetition), are as much a work in progress as anyone. I see more symptoms than syndromes, but nonetheless, with that whole smoldering ruin, all I can try is build something with whatever is left. I don't know what I'd be if I was still in 2011 performative irony mode. Probably still dealing and doing too much drugs.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:wtc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa5_NIzonD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGaH1YfbE80

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

ewe2 posted:

This, absolutely this. I had a breakdown last year when I realized almost all of my negative personality traits come from being abused and neglected as a child. Everyone has their own trauma that informs their natures.

Seeing the way Lowtax's mother communicates with people, I assume his parents were abusive and it absolutely travels down the line. I try my hardest not to be like my parents.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

what

???

edit: modern capitalism can lead to some really bizarre poo poo

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
Its great to see some OG names pop up ITT.

and Mouth Jizz.

Its kinda cathartic and nostalgic at the same time. I couldn't think of a better way to end another chapter of SA and begin a new one.

I love you goons. Shine on you crazy loving stars.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
Posting itt to say: lol

Also to find out what my regdate is lol

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
Rest in piss?

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

X JAKK posted:

Ive managed to pull off coming across as colorfully quirky and laid back in my weird clothes and weird hair and weird face when dealing with the people here day-to-day, even though I am pretty much having a perpetual panic attack just being around people. I moved to a tiny tiny town to help me deal, but its near impossible to feel any connection with another human being. My wife was the only living human being on earth i really liked, and when she died, i dont feel like i ever dealt with that, and never shared any of my thoughts or frustrations really. When people would drop by to see if i was feeding myself, i would just tell a little joke and put on Tropic Thunder and that would be that.
I just feel.. wrong.. everywhere.. and like a dozen different people in my head, screaming nonsense. Its scary and i hate it but there are times when things feel okay.. i like those times.. Just gotta wait out the bad ones..

I did this thing called EMDR therapy for trauma and it was a godsend. It seems very scientology scammy at first because you're holding these vibrating paddles in your hands but there's a whole actual (not pseudo) science behind it and breaking up loops of negative thoughts caused by trauma. It was life changing and maybe you should give it a shot. If it's going to work on you, you know by the first few times you do it, it's not something you have to commit to for life.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

nvidiagouge posted:

I did this thing called EMDR therapy for trauma and it was a godsend. It seems very scientology scammy at first because you're holding these vibrating paddles in your hands but there's a whole actual (not pseudo) science behind it and breaking up loops of negative thoughts caused by trauma. It was life changing and maybe you should give it a shot. If it's going to work on you, you know by the first few times you do it, it's not something you have to commit to for life.

just buy some mangosteens

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

We need a Screamy gangtag.

We can all explain years later that it's from when lowtax died but we instead commemorated the life and times of a goldfish that got frozen and stored for a long time because its owner didn't bury it.

Yeah I def want a Screamy gangtag

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

the thing about EMDR is that you're receiving therapy at the same time you're doing it, which is the thing making you feel better, not the eye movements and vibrating paddles woo-woo.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

Which was one of the problems with 1999 Lowtax, to be honest

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah I def want a Screamy gangtag

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

somefalafel.com

I take umbrage with this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah it's always struck me as "exposure therapy, but with some added macguffins for theatrical effect" but like, if that's what it takes to cure your serious, life-ruining psychological issues please don't let any internet assholes saying "nyeeeh it's just pseudoscience" bother you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Excellent

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the thing about EMDR is that you're receiving therapy at the same time you're doing it, which is the thing making you feel better, not the eye movements and vibrating paddles woo-woo.

This isn't true. The whole way the EMDR session works isn't the same as talk therapy. Exposure is part of it but if exposure was all you really needed, you're constantly exposing yourself to those thought patterns already. It really does work to break those up and there's a lot of science to prove it. I was very skeptical going in and I've done a lot of different types of therapy before so I was pretty amazed by the results.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Which was one of the problems with 1999 Lowtax, to be honest

In this specific case not really.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

wanna meet that fish. *i raise my hand to my ear-piece* wait, what? oh God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"Is Richard Lowtax Kyanka Dead or Alive?"

Some solid reporting work here.