Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It's reasonable to think the ending is being rushed. Deku mastered all his quirks offscreen. Shigaraki's "months long" upgrade was stopped literally the next arc after it started. It's not even the second year of school in a series with "Academia" in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also the argument that no editor would push Horikoshi to end fast because MHA is super popular Demon Slayer got pushed to end fast and was doing pretty great too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the argument that no editor would push Horikoshi to end fast because MHA is super popular Demon Slayer got pushed to end fast and was doing pretty great too.

:hmmyes:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

demon slayer being pushed is an unsubstantiated rumor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, even then, I believe the push began before the anime came out since the manga only had pretty modest success til then, but then when the anime blew up, the final arc actually got drawn out a bit to eke out some more sales while it was the big thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Didn't Demon Slayer get rushed because the author had to take care of sick family?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What gets me is that one of the things that drew me to early MHA is how well Horikoshi balanced progressing the plot with having it happening at a brisk pace. I'm not getting that sense anymore, either during the Liberation Raid arc nor during the current one.

Aurora posted:

IMO it's obvious if you read the manga. I went into Kimetsu no Yaiba having known absolutely nothing about it other than that it exploded in sales out of nowhere. On the final arc I was like "... they skipped over multiple arcs to compress all this stuff into the final arc, after having a consistent pace for the rest of the manga up to this point. Was this rushed?"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's "rushed" because of wanting to be able to take care of family issues, not anything on shonen jump or editors. there was no push to end it or a sudden desire to drag it out

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aurora posted:

Every time people go "oh the editor is making them do this" is unsubstantiated rumor, derived from largely bullshit stories about Toriyama and his editor.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In my defense it's perhaps easier to want to believe than to admit an author you liked has just plain been dropping the ball

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I figured this was set up to resolve in the third year of high school, what with the whole academia thing. Timeskips would have been fine in that instance. I think the series was strongest within the setting of, well, academia. My first impression of this being rushed was the Tartarus escape, when it happened in like 6 panels. If Oda had written that we'd be on like level 4 of 7 atm. Here's hoping One Piece eventually sees an end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If Oda was writing it also would still not even be the second year.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

christmas boots posted:

If Oda was writing it also would still not even be the second year.

On the other hand the fight choreography wouldn't be garbage so it evens out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I reiterate my desire to see Horikoshi combine his obvious artistical talent with someone who can actually write who can take the load off him having to invent a plot on the fly, every week, for 52.25 weeks a year.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I reiterate my desire to see Horikoshi combine his obvious artistical talent with someone who can actually write who can take the load off him having to invent a plot on the fly, every week, for 52.25 weeks a year.

This seems to mostly work for Dr. Stone. Find an author with Horikoshi's love for large muscular women and we have the potential for something great.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I rather like Horikoshi’s writing myself, the latest stuff being rushed doesn’t make the earlier stuff bad, or how well he ultimately handled Bakugo and Endeavour.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I rather like Horikoshi’s writing myself, the latest stuff being rushed doesn’t make the earlier stuff bad, or how well he ultimately handled Bakugo and Endeavour.

Yeah, this mini-arc is pretty weak, but the overall manga has had a lot of good writing. The Stain arc comes to mind, because that fight? That is absolute textbook shonen fight as philosophy debate.

One thing, though, is that the weekly schedule is an absolute nightmare to begin with, and it's much worse if you don't have a plan, or if, as is more likely the case here, your plan goes a bit off track, because you don't have the time to properly revise, so at best you go through a flailing period to get things back in place for the old plan, and at worst you completely nose dive.

I think some of it is probably changing editors, too. It's not that the new guy likely forced Horikoshi to go with a bad plan, but a good editor is invaluable in assessing plotlines, spotting potential problems before they come up, and giving advice on how to keep things in line. Meanwhile, an editor who's a worse fit will probably encourage weaker ideas, either on his own or just nodding when the author suggests something that won't work as well for the manga.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Lord_Magmar posted:

While this is true loving up the ending harms the series. I can deal with one arc not being great but seeing these chapters that could've been fantastic instead of just being well drawn sucks.

You'd think a shonen jump manga would not make the mistake of suddenly introducing someone with a bullshit power from offscreen to job against your badly thought out final boss but learning from other series is bad, apparently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurubin posted:

This seems to mostly work for Dr. Stone. Find an author with Horikoshi's love for large muscular women and we have the potential for something great.

That was the Red Hood author.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IMO the worst part about the manga lately is that there really hasn’t been any good places for the anime to use “You Say Run” in any of the fights

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This is an extremely valid point, I don't even think they've used Jet Set Run for anything substantial yet.

I do wanna hear what sound they use for Fa Jin though because One for All already has a nice crunch to it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You say Run/Jet set Run are great backing tracks as long as it’s something good being displayed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9WAaZeW90o&t=3s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

If you can really withstand me button mashing at 100% of my power, then I'll have to go beyond that and force you to surrender!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I've always been fond of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-jDJcoP0fE

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 14, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man it is genuinely impressive how drat good that looks for a PS3 game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Man it is genuinely impressive how drat good that looks for a PS3 game.

(horrific screen tearing notwithstanding)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

(horrific screen tearing notwithstanding)

I said for a PS3 game!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gating the final boss behind DLC was bullshit, but I had a lot of fun with Asura's Wrath, it clearly had a great deal of love put behind it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

how did star even know this would happen, she would have to have been aware of the quirk mental scape and know that she'd be able to 'physically' rip those metaphysical elements apart

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Futaba Anzu posted:

how did star even know this would happen, she would have to have been aware of the quirk mental scape and know that she'd be able to 'physically' rip those metaphysical elements apart

Her quirk is already vaguely defined metaphysical magic bullshit anyway so the answer is probably "don't worry about it". If I really had to guess it would be that the original intent was to have Star actually arrive in Japan and get filled in on the situation by All Might before this fight occurred.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Futaba Anzu posted:

I imagine Star was meant to fit in after Deku learns about his quirks and spends time with her either for protection or training. I genuinely think we're speedrunning these characters that Horikoshi was always planning on introducing but we're just getting 1% of them instead of the full arc.

Everything wrong with Star ceases to be an issue if she'd simply been introduced with time to breath. An overseas arc in the one country All for one is unable to get to because theres one hero he's too afraid to face etc etc. You get more back story for Star so the emotional payoff to that scene is much higher and her knowing about the quirkscape and that they could potentially be destroyed makes far far far more sense because Deku would have told her.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Futaba Anzu posted:

I don't think she knew about quirkspace, I think she was just intending to poison pill her own quirk to try and destroy his.

Which is vague and undefined, but hey, that's New Order!:v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My dumb theory works for Lady Nagant too. Imagine she was a full story instead of a handful of issues. Not necessarily an Arc on her own, but certainly a B story for one where we get to explore what the hero society is and what lengths they will go to to maintain their power.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Is this whole game just QTEs?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mymla posted:

Is this whole game just QTEs?

Technically, no.

Functionally?

Pretty much.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's a weird mixture of QTEs, on rails shooting, standard action combat and long story cutscenes. It's a little like ZOE2 in that respect, where it just jumps between setpieces and is hard to pin down structurally.

It's total nonsense, the kind of game that has a lot of lore baked into the design work but doesn't really explain any of it. The boss battles are shonen as hell though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-333/chapter/23565?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010475

I still think this entire affair is pretty silly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There's no denying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Imagery of AFO/Shiggy blowing them apart is real cool we well as the ghost rip and tearing in the quirkscape.