Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

there's maybe 3 good bosses in Arise. also it was hard for me to care about the combat after seeing how unbalanced ranged moves are, Shionne gets a 3 homing wind bullet move and spamming that will win fights well above your level. you know, if you ever play as her because otherwise her ai will never jump in the air to be able to learn her air artes.

i forget when it becomes available but dohalim has an arena fight that gets you an artifact that doubles damage on both sides and it does a lot to make some fights less tedious, especially on higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I didn't die on any of the bosses on Moderate, but I also had that special edition that gave me bonus stuff, and was still hoovering items during those fights. They're unbalanced as hell.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

lunar detritus posted:

How many times did you all die during boss battles while playing Tales of Arise? Every other battle in the game seems easy but I have to retry boss battles multiple times and I can't tell if I'm underleveled or if I suck at the battle system.

I didn't party wipe all that often on moderate/normal, but did reset due to consuming too many life bottles / gels. it helped to drop down to story difficulty for especially sloggy bosses. the balance got way better near the end of the game for whatever reason, maybe with the full crafting system unlocking

by contrast I'm playing ToBerseria now and am blasting through it on hard. it's great when the developers actually balance the game!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The levelling curve in Berseria is designed with you turning up the difficulty whenever it gets too easy like Diablo 3, which is why the higher difficulties are mid game unlocks.
Arise seemed to be balanced for just picking whatever difficulty you wanted from the start, but the bosses were way overturned on anything over normal, and they often took ages to kill on that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Arise seemed to be balanced for just picking whatever difficulty you wanted from the start, but the bosses were way overturned on anything over normal, and they often took ages to kill on that.

I remember trying Manic(?) on Abyss and apparently that game's setting is something like "everything has 10x stats across the board" so your intro tutorial fight can take about 15 minutes instead of 15 seconds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished BR2, it was still good but ran out of steam towards the end and makes you fight way too many pallet swap bosses.

The 'what carries over from your clear data' messages suggests you might get a different ending if you play through it again but I dunno if I can be bothered.

The only way to max everyone's T lvl is doing NG+ too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Boy oh boy the Game Parlor in Voice of Cards really loving sucks huh? Random draws determining how many points you get (if any), random things that negate your turns, other random things that destroy your points, it's like all the hallmarks of poo poo game design in one package.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Morpheus posted:

Boy oh boy the Game Parlor in Voice of Cards really loving sucks huh? Random draws determining how many points you get (if any), random things that negate your turns, other random things that destroy your points, it's like all the hallmarks of poo poo game design in one package.

It also takes loving forever

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Welp, as I feared, SMTV is a lot more fun to play then Astria's Ascending Gambit of Challenges. I fear that's the end of my Astria-reporting for a while.

The funniest SMTV-moment so far: Walking into a trap in the first dungeon, spawning dozens of slimes behind me, and after a short scare going: "wait ha ha ha, this isn't Astria, it's SMT!" and then high-fiving all those slimes, before we all go our own separate ways. :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think it might be connected to Talent level? I noticed at one point I had everyone except Shiho at 5-ish T.Lvl during the part where you have to backtrack to all the Heartscapes and hers was the only one that didn't get a wall unlock cutscene.

I think it might indeed be tied to talent level. I ran around Kokoro's area to farm up some warm sand, then did a couple errands for her that brought her up to TL5, then went back and wall unlock cutscene played.

Does anyone remember where I'm supposed to use the craftable wooden hammer? I vaguely remember it being in Hinako's area somewhere.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I remember trying Manic(?) on Abyss and apparently that game's setting is something like "everything has 10x stats across the board" so your intro tutorial fight can take about 15 minutes instead of 15 seconds.

Abyss had Unknown mode which quadrupled enemy stats.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m glad at some point they figured out that higher difficulties multiplying HP and defensive stats was a real dumb idea and bad time all around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I think it might indeed be tied to talent level. I ran around Kokoro's area to farm up some warm sand, then did a couple errands for her that brought her up to TL5, then went back and wall unlock cutscene played.

Does anyone remember where I'm supposed to use the craftable wooden hammer? I vaguely remember it being in Hinako's area somewhere.

It's generally always the area before the one you get the crafting recipe, couldn't tell you exactly where though.

Make like 5 of the hammers if you can you'll need a bunch for a later area.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

It feels like Labyrinth of Refrain's systems are at war with each other. Covens allow you to deploy over a dozen characters on the frontline and almost twice as many on the backline... each of whom has a full six equipment slots in a game where the typical piece of equipment has two pages of effects and some have random modifiers that add even more. Stockpiling lets you save EXP from a battle to be claimed after a later victory, gaining a higher multiplier on it with each successive stockpile by taking on the risk of losing it all if you lose or flee a battle... in a game where random enemy titles can sometimes produce essentially unbeatable enemies with ten times the usual HP and ATK, against whom losing and fleeing are really your only options. I like most of the game's systems individually (equipment excepted), but some of these great tastes don't go so great together.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

It feels like Labyrinth of Refrain's systems are at war with each other. Covens allow you to deploy over a dozen characters on the frontline and almost twice as many on the backline... each of whom has a full six equipment slots in a game where the typical piece of equipment has two pages of effects and some have random modifiers that add even more. Stockpiling lets you save EXP from a battle to be claimed after a later victory, gaining a higher multiplier on it with each successive stockpile by taking on the risk of losing it all if you lose or flee a battle... in a game where random enemy titles can sometimes produce essentially unbeatable enemies with ten times the usual HP and ATK, against whom losing and fleeing are really your only options. I like most of the game's systems individually (equipment excepted), but some of these great tastes don't go so great together.

I remember those stronger enemies being color-coded differently from normal enemies, though there might be a skill to unlock that shows that? Been awhile so I'm fuzzy on the exact details but I definitely remember being able to tell when a specific enemy on the map was gonna be like that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I find myself wanting to put down SMT5 and go back to playing Dungeon Encounters and Touhou.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Srice posted:

I remember those stronger enemies being color-coded differently from normal enemies, though there might be a skill to unlock that shows that? Been awhile so I'm fuzzy on the exact details but I definitely remember being able to tell when a specific enemy on the map was gonna be like that.
They're tinted slightly gold, but:
  • The lighting in my current area tints everything gold, so it's impossible to tell
  • Doors are opaque, so if you encounter one going through a door you won't see the tell—and engaging an enemy through a door is the most reliable way to surprise them, so it's something you want to do
  • There's only one tint, so you don't know if the enemy has the ×10 title ("Overlord") or one of the less impactful ones, and titled enemies are common enough for avoiding them entirely to be a pain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dunno how far you are but I hope if you have interest in doing the post game of Labyrinth of Refrain all your characters lucky numbers are odd, otherwise enjoy double the grind.

Also the Covenant system will never make total sense and feel like the designers had an idea and then didn't think it through enough. You'd think late game ones could rectify the problems, but no. Also you'll spend probably half the game not upgrading covenants because for a game all about them there is both a lack of options and a dearth of useable ones.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Barudak posted:

Dunno how far you are but I hope if you have interest in doing the post game of Labyrinth of Refrain all your characters lucky numbers are odd, otherwise enjoy double the grind.

Also the Covenant system will never make total sense and feel like the designers had an idea and then didn't think it through enough. You'd think late game ones could rectify the problems, but no. Also you'll spend probably half the game not upgrading covenants because for a game all about them there is both a lack of options and a dearth of useable ones.
I didn't know about the lucky number thing until after I'd created my initial party. Oh well; most of my characters are even, and I can toss the ones who aren't into the backline where their lack of levels/reincarnations won't hurt them very much. And that's if I even do the postgame, which is never a sure thing, least of all with NIS games. If nothing else, endgame QoL hinging on the one thing a player absolutely cannot change is a pretty funny troll.

Aside from the issue I described, the Covenant system makes perfect sense to me, and I think it's brilliant. It's the usual dungeon crawler form-a-party system, except that one "party member" can be multiple characters and you can change out your party whenever you want instead of making one party at the start of the game and sticking with it. I could have done with a few more usable pacts—my mage has been stuck with the Muddy Pact for three dungeons straight because their only alternative is the stratospherically MP-expensive Peco's Pact—and for more sidegrades than upgrades to keep team composition an interesting problem, but it's such an innovative system that I can't blame them for not getting it perfect on the first try.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres so much the covenant system could have been that when you slam into what it actually is Im left super disappointed, mages get really really pigeonholed by it as you've seen.

I also, like, don't want a direct sequel because the writing feels fetishistically grim so I'd like this concept fleshed out in another setting.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Barudak posted:

Theres so much the covenant system could have been that when you slam into what it actually is Im left super disappointed, mages get really really pigeonholed by it as you've seen.

I also, like, don't want a direct sequel because the writing feels fetishistically grim so I'd like this concept fleshed out in another setting.
The untranslated sequel appears to be by the same writer, but the article doesn't say anything about the setting. Hopefully it isn't so aggressively unpleasant.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 13, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

It also takes loving forever

Yeah I literally was trophy grinding on Muramasa while getting through the games on this. Just terrible all around.

That said I'm enjoying the rest of the game so far. Quaint, small-scale rpg that doesnt do anything wild mechanically or narratively, like a small comforting bowl of rpg stew.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BR2 ch6 and I'm genuinely astonished that Mio exists - one look at Hiori's bipolar skill list and her 'hearing her sister's voice' had me assuming Mio was dead. I guess that there's still time for that if you work off the idea that people who can't transform are just force ghosts, though that only really seems to fit for Yuki and not Kirara

Chapter finished, everything went better than expected. I like the fakeouts at the start of that chapter where Ao's going 'u-uhhhhhh why is she happy at her mom disappearing tho'

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 13, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This would not be an issue if you had watched the anime

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

There’s definitely a writer somewhere at NIS that’s really bitter about the company being known for mostly cutesy if weirdly horny games, and occasionally it rears its head with something like Labyrinth of Refrain or Witch and the Hundred Knight. Just… relentlessly grim and needlessly hosed up in really uncomfortable ways.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think it has to be motivated by bitterness over public image. i think tatsuya izumi's scripts are just, like that. he directed and wrote both games

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah the bitterness thing was a joke. :v: They’re just… inclined to that sort of thing.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Bussamove posted:

There’s definitely a writer somewhere at NIS that’s really bitter about the company being known for mostly cutesy if weirdly horny games, and occasionally it rears its head with something like Labyrinth of Refrain or Witch and the Hundred Knight. Just… relentlessly grim and needlessly hosed up in really uncomfortable ways.
I don't think there's even anything wrong with this—the last thing the world needs is for every game to be written like the developers want to air a trailer on the Wholesome Direct. The issue is that the game doesn't seem to understand its own tone. Dronya acts abusively toward anyone, yet almost none of them notice. Practically every scene has her do something obviously vile, but it's treated like a joke even though nothing funny happened. The problem isn't that uncomfortable things happen; the problem is that they don't happen in a way that makes sense. I haven't finished the game yet so the story thus far could still be reframed in a way that elevates them, but where I'm at now, it just feels incoherent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't think there's even anything wrong with this—the last thing the world needs is for every game to be written like the developers want to air a trailer on the Wholesome Direct. The issue is that the game doesn't seem to understand its own tone. Dronya acts abusively toward anyone, yet almost none of them notice. Practically every scene has her do something obviously vile, but it's treated like a joke even though nothing funny happened. The problem isn't that uncomfortable things happen; the problem is that they don't happen in a way that makes sense. I haven't finished the game yet so the story thus far could still be reframed in a way that elevates them, but where I'm at now, it just feels incoherent.

I don't think there's anything wrong with grim or even grim with humor. There are a lot of extremely dark things that can also be funny or lighthearted and sometimes use that to great effect. The problem I think comes both from not understanding tone and also not quite understanding how certain material comes off. There's a lot of things which are presented as 'funny jokes' which actually are absurdly meanspirited in a bad way. It's fine to have dark humor but pitch black humor needs a waaaaay more subtle hand than you can get from 99.9% of video games and the other 1% is Disco Elysium or Yoko Taro.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I agree: black comedy is fine. The issue with Labyrinth of Refrain is that it thinks it's black comedy but it's actually just cold and harsh—like you said, it doesn't understand how its own material comes across. If it actually made the jokes it acts like it's making, it'd be fine.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
game not funny

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i figure out the rocket science: game not funny

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Barudak posted:

Even. They have to be even.

(Also the good grinding pact is a random drop so it might not even matter anyway if you never get one 🙃)

Elephant Parade posted:

You do eventually get an explanation for why Dronya hates the world so much, at least, although whether it makes her sympathetic is up to you.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Thuryl posted:

You do eventually get an explanation for why Dronya hates the world so much, at least, although whether it makes her sympathetic is up to you.
I think there've been hints at an explanation already—her apparent exploitation by Baba Yaga; her rage and pain whenever she struggles with her prosthetic leg—so she isn't especially unsympathetic as it is. Unfortunately, her being sympathetic doesn't make the things that happen any funnier, so the problem remains:

Snooze Cruise posted:

game not funny

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, in the end the story is not so much a comedy as a tragedy with weird slapstick thrown in. It holds together better than WHK did, but that's not a high bar.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

On a more positive note, I really like the Witch Petition system. Unlocking and upgrading features—e.g., classes, formations, hide and escape rates—by spending mana is engaging in that it lets you pick and choose what you care about. I guess global upgrade systems aren't exactly a new idea, but I've never seen them implemented in a dungeon crawler before. The "global" part is also an improvement similar systems in previous NIS games I've played, which often make most upgrades per-unit—for example, Disgaea 1's valuable +1 Move upgrade must be applied via the Dark Senate to each individual unit, which gets annoying fast.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That bar is fifty feet underground, that’s how low it is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i figure out the rocket science: game not funny

The rocket science game does have some dark humor, but this probably isn't the thread to discuss it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think the kind of humor in refrain is so difficult to do that literally only the disco elysium and drakengard/nier writers can do it. there's plenty of examples of it in weirder, smaller games. i think the witch/refrain writer guy is just kind of unfunny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What RPG do you find the funniest?

I go with Skies of Arcadia, it's got a lot of fun moments, like Vyse and Aika doing their cool handshake and then Drachma going "HANDS ON THE WHEEL", or Aika's exasperation at that one general's ship having such a big cannon