Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Record of Ragnarok Chapter 54 Possibly on mangadex too but I can't check.

Hades' incredibly straight forward and decent motivation after all of those DARK SECRETS scenes made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hypocrisy posted:

Hades' incredibly straight forward and decent motivation after all of those DARK SECRETS scenes made me laugh.

More hinting that Brunhilde proposed the tournament because she has a mortal lover

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I thought Buddha squirting blood was fun as well.
Buddha was a cool character, he will be missed.

Who was Hades' opponent going to be? The sniper?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Hades didn't have an original opponent. He's the ringer replacing Buddha.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t think we’ve had fixed matchups ahead of time, we’ve just known the rosters.

Also, I really, really want Simo Hayha to win his match when it comes up. Other combatants I can take going either way, but Simo needs to win.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
What I am really curious about is how some of the mankind champions will fight, like Rasputin, Nostradamus or Tesla. They will absolutely have some bullshit abilities invented whole cloth and it will be glorious. :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
chapter 55 out now too. introducing us to 2 of the human fighters

https://manga4life.com/read-online/Shuumatsu-No-Valkyrie-chapter-55.html

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lt. Lizard posted:

What I am really curious about is how some of the mankind champions will fight, like Rasputin, Nostradamus or Tesla. They will absolutely have some bullshit abilities invented whole cloth and it will be glorious. :allears:

Tesla's easy, he'll be a gadget, superscience kind of guy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's one hell of an entrance for Qin.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jose posted:

chapter 55 out now too. introducing us to 2 of the human fighters

https://manga4life.com/read-online/Shuumatsu-No-Valkyrie-chapter-55.html

Very cool introductions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was...an unexpected design.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
nostradumbass

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

That was...an unexpected design.

I won't forgive taking away his beard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ibblebibble posted:

That's one hell of an entrance for Qin.

As a new law we declare: humans shall exist at the threshold of heaven and earth!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
…Was that Lucifer being cast into Hell(heim)?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

As a young boy I discovered the world of manga and anime through finding a copy of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell at the local library and being instantly captivated by the mix of sci-fi and mature storytelling. Then, with my family's new ADSL connection, I hit up the Internet and discovered that there was an animated TV series, and a movie, and moreover that the anime available in the west was a bizarre world of things that were weird and off-beat to me, with genres I did not appreciate and beats that scared me off. Still, this was circa 2008 which was a great time to get into that kind of anime because of the immense backlog of 90s and early 00s serious and mature/"mature" anime and the girls with guns. And, hey, there's this thing called Gunslinger Girl that's just had a second season, everyone's talking about it, and this website will let me stream it...

Oh, and there's a shot in episode 1 that my teenage brain interpreted as fetishizing young girls urinating, which made me nope.gif out of there pretty instantly. I was here for women with guns, I was not here for weird loli poo poo. Nope nope nope nope.

Well over a decade later, as more experienced woman with a better understanding of anime and manga as a whole, with an interest in manga and anime not just for entertainment's sake but in that horrible pretentious way where you watch bad films and then talk about their historical relevance and what they reveal about the genre and the people who make and watch it (and, to be honestly, horribly starved of good girls-with-guns media: there's only so many times I can rewatch Noir or Jormungandr), I decided to return to my childhood and check out the Gunslinger Girl manga: what was this thing really?

Gunslinger Girl
As a form of pulp entertainment with a strong auteur streak, manga can be strongly influenced by the peculiarities of its creators. As long as they stick to the overall requirements of a genre/demographic, writers and artists are often quite free to experiment or write what they want, which leads to a phenomenon in manga where a series will start as schlocky or sexualized stuff and slowly drift to abandon those elements as the writer gains enough confidence and authority to write about their true passion in a completely different genre. Ghost Talker's Daydream is a good example: the surface-level premise is an ecchi comedy about a virgin dominatrix ghost-hunter with a demonic shibari rope and her companion the government employee with the hots for her. Early chapters emphasize the potential for sex comedy in this, but that soon gives way to an extremely atmospheric j-horror manga about death and suicide. (For anyone wanting to read Ghost Talker's Daydream, I recommend skipping the epilogue: it's one of those bad and spiteful ones that drain all joy the end of the story had.)

Similarly, the Gunslinger Girl manga starts as an episodic thing about cute young girls engaged in generic action stuff that wants you to know it's fun to watch young girls with big guns and close relationships to brother-figures and maybe tug your heartstrings a bit, but soon gives way to the author's true passion: a character drama/thriller set in the reheated Years of Lead focusing primarily on the older cast.

It oozes with this: the instigating incident for the central conflict of the series is the "Croce Affair", the assassination of Prosecutor Croce by the Five Republics: this is an obvious reference to the real-world assassination of Italian lawyer Fulvio Croce by the Red Brigades in 1977. GSG's Franco and Franca, Five Republic terrorist bomb experts, are an obvious reference to Francesca Mambro and Valerio Fioravanti, Italian neo-fascist terrorists responsible for, among other things, the 1980 Bologna bombing--and the setting itself, incredibly concerned with right-wing (or possibly left-wing, the manga's translation is unclear in places) terrorism in Italy and conspiracy within the Italian security apparatus is a microcosm of the Years of Lead themselves. There's an obvious passion for this stuff and it's details from the author's side, and as a thriller set in a fictional retelling of the Years of Lead it's really quite delightful.

And then there's the 10-year-old elephant in the room...

There's a focus on the prepubescent members of the cast that is... hmm... how should I put it: I wouldn't call it directly sexual in the way that, say, Gunsmith Cats can be, and it's not like the series takes any opportunities to show you upskirt shots of teenage girls in a way a lot of other material from the period could do: like that poo poo was An Issue with early-00s anime and manga and GSG, in spite of its repute, is not actually the worst offender.

Still, it's uncomfortable in places. There's a lot of emphasis placed on the youth and childhood innocence of these girls and their relationships with their male handlers, and it kind of comes off as fetishizing (in the sense of overemphasized veneration rather than, necessarily, viewing as an object of sexual attention) the older man/young girl relationship between the handlers and the cyborg girls. I think this is supposed to be more a brother-and-sister relationship but as anyone who even peripherally exists near anime knows, the entire medium seems weird about the idealized portrayal of little sisters who worship their brothers. This gives everything in the series a bit of an uncomfortable aftertaste even if the manga itself never really acts on it. This kind of abates after a while, as the relationships between characters solidify and there is less focus on the brainwashed girl's veneration of their handlers, and more on the conspiracies and traumas that define the handlers and other adults in the series. (There's an exception in Petrushka, but she's significantly older than the other cyborgs. It's still kind of weird and inappropriate by any reasonable standard but it's not disgusting loli poo poo.)

Still, like, wow, there was a different way to write this, my dude. You could have avoided the implication.

I think on the whole Gunslinger Girl manages to avoid the major problems its premise implies and that the story it tells is genuinely interesting at times: I particularly like the almost vicious takedown of the happiness you'd expect from a lighter take on the subject matter: it portrays Jose's attempts to make Henrietta a proxy for his own dead sister and have a familial relationship with her as misguided and ultimately fatal, and a general attitude of portraying the entire situation of making young girls into cyborg weapons as unfair and unethical. It's also just neat and fun to see the cast of older characters interact with the more down-to-earth terrorist and crime side of the plot, since I'm a huge sucker for spy and conspiracy thrillers. It's unique and has its own value, but at the same time there's a lot of caveats I have to preface any recommendation with. It's not the worst but it's worth being aware what you're getting into and where its pitfalls and weaknesses lie.

The Anime And The Hazard Of Adaption
I've only watched most of the first season since the source I was using decided to give up on subtitles for the last couple of episodes of S1. However, I think S1 of GSG is an interesting case study in both the strengths and weaknesses of anime as a medium contra the manga it's adapted from. It's one of those very close adaptions of a manga, often copying panel composition entirely for some scenes. This leads to a very interesting effect because while a single panel in a page of a comic book is often quite brief, using that single panel for a scene in an anime can make it drag out which in turn emphasizes that one panel. In the GSG anime, this makes what was just a panel of Henrietta's face into extremely an extremely languid shot that emphasizes her internal emotional state, which draws far more attention to the nature of her brainwashing-induced veneration of Jose than the manga seems to have intended. Hence, despite hewing very closely to the manga, the effect is a completely different tone.

Also it's so loving ugly like have you seen the faces of those girls? They're the worst of early-90s moé, with faces wider than they're tall and eyes farther apart than their necks are wide. This hews somewhat to their design in the manga, but what works for a single panel in a manga does not work in a minute-long closeup of someone's face. The series also feels extremely cheap in places, with the second episode containing over five minutes of footage recycled from episode 1, and the OP feels like it was made in Windows Movie Maker.

On the positive side, the anime actually has time to expand some stories: this is notable in the case of Elsa, a character who in the manga is basically introduced posthumously with all her characterization told to the audience by other characters. This gives a disconnected and chaotic feeling to the story, which is not strictly the wrong approach (as it reflects how the whole thing feels to the characters, to whom this happens suddenly and unexpectedly) but makes the important facts the story wants to impress on the reader feel a bit weak and out of nowhere: with multiple episodes to spend on the plot, the anime has time to build up Elsa as a character before we learn she's dead, which gives a deeper connection and understanding.

Also, the anime was made when only the first volume of the manga had been released, and covers it pretty much in its entirety. This makes some elements the anime has chosen to emphasize rather ironic in retrospect. For example, the OP theme is a song about how you have to stay strong and stay on and then you can carve out a little piece of happiness for yourself in the end, basically told as Henrietta's hopes, and the manga ends with Henrietta realizing that Jose is too obsessed with his dead sister to see her as anything other than a replacement for her instead of loving her for who she is, and they decided to blow each other's brains out in an act of synchronized murder/suicide. Yeah, you have to stay strong and carve out a piece of happiness for yourself Henrietta, that'll work..

Also, thread, give me your serious gunime/gun manga recommendations! I am so starved of good content. Gunsmith Cats, Black Lagoon, Jormundander (a.k.a. that show you watch waiting for new volumes of Black Lagoon), Noir... I tried watching Madlax to continue Bee Train's girls-with-guns trilogy but I found it a bit too slow and caught up in the supernatural mystery plot for my tastes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gungrave, Gangsta

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

Also, thread, give me your serious gunime/gun manga recommendations! I am so starved of good content. Gunsmith Cats, Black Lagoon, Jormundander (a.k.a. that show you watch waiting for new volumes of Black Lagoon), Noir... I tried watching Madlax to continue Bee Train's girls-with-guns trilogy but I found it a bit too slow and caught up in the supernatural mystery plot for my tastes.

Canaan.

Princess Principal is more spy thriller than gunanime, but might be interesting anyway.

Requiem for the Phantom, although I think the ending pissed a lot of people off.

Gungrave, maybe? I don't remember if the anime had any of the more supernatural stuff in it.

Gangsta, the manga. The anime just kind of stops suddenly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Canaan is good

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
What is watching Canaan like after playing Shibuya Scramble rather than before? That whole situation weirded me out when the game showed up on steam.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out Geobreeders

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Gangsta, the manga. The anime just kind of stops suddenly.
The anime stopped suddenly because the studio obliviated suddenly

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Canaan is good

Just finished episode 2. This show is odd, and I’m not sure how much I can take of the girl with her head perpetually in the clouds and the guy whose jaw drops every time she says something weird.

Still going to watch more episodes, though.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

LatwPIAT posted:

Just finished episode 2. This show is odd, and I’m not sure how much I can take of the girl with her head perpetually in the clouds and the guy whose jaw drops every time she says something weird.

Still going to watch more episodes, though.

yeah not having watched canaan but being familiar with its source material, i'm definitely going to recommend shibuya scramble (when it's on sale, because this is not a 50 dollar VN) as some big context

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Having played Shibuya Scramble not only having read a bit of the Canaan manga, Canaan kind of flushes everything that was cool about 428.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just binged 700 chapters of kingdom in a week and now when I close my eyes I see dudes killing half a dozen soldiers in one swing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nrook posted:

I just binged 700 chapters of kingdom in a week and now when I close my eyes I see dudes killing half a dozen soldiers in one swing.
The true essence of a Wuxia manga

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

Obviously Rasputin will have electric powers, Nostradamus will be impossible to kill, and Tesla will have some sort of precognition.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nrook posted:

I'm jealous.

Kingdom is a great constant. It's always the same badass epic poo poo, the art never gets better, but it's out every week.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

nrook posted:

Kingdom really is made to be binged. Like One Piece, reading weekly is just so slow.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

I'm jealous.

Kingdom is a great constant. It's always the same badass epic poo poo, the art never gets better, but it's out every week.

Where else would you find your weekly dose of EXTRA-WIDE horses?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The horses in Kingdom are my favorite thing.

Right after Tou. I wish he was around more

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How to draw a horse

Step 1 draw a mailbox

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

nrook posted:

the artist must be seeing armor and horses everywhere. that bird? thats a sky horse. a car? no, its armored horse. that horse? oh thats a mailbox.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I remember looking up the primary source for Kingdom and this 200 chapter Zhao invasion arc was boiled down to like 1 or 2 sentences.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

i'm about 70 or so chapters behind in golden kamuy trying to decide if i can pick up where I left off or not lol

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://mangadex.org/title/2ac32dff-fc19-4f1d-a737-e505d48e3753/tenkuni-paraiso

Do you like Christian themes in Post-war Japan? Well I got a manga for you!

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Pewdiepie posted:

I remember looking up the primary source for Kingdom and this 200 chapter Zhao invasion arc was boiled down to like 1 or 2 sentences.

the entire coalition arc was also just "these nations showed up. Then they were repelled at Kankoku Pass". The Kingdom author is really filling the gaps with all that he can of warfare. It's great

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ten episodes into Canaan. This show is really leaning into the Psycho Lesbian canard, huh? Oh 00s anime, you were a thing. Overall the show is also just kind of... weird. Stuff's happening but I don't care that much about the characters, who are extremely shallow, and the conflicts that are set up feel really contrived and at times contradicting the show's own internal logic.

Also, another request for recommendations: I've sort of been on a "teen soldiers trained in rigid and horrible environments"-kick lately. I gotta get my monthly dose of YA dystopias somehow. Does anyone have any manga recommendations in this field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LatwPIAT posted:

Ten episodes into Canaan. This show is really leaning into the Psycho Lesbian canard, huh? Oh 00s anime, you were a thing. Overall the show is also just kind of... weird. Stuff's happening but I don't care that much about the characters, who are extremely shallow, and the conflicts that are set up feel really contrived and at times contradicting the show's own internal logic.

Also, another request for recommendations: I've sort of been on a "teen soldiers trained in rigid and horrible environments"-kick lately. I gotta get my monthly dose of YA dystopias somehow. Does anyone have any manga recommendations in this field?

Jormungand, Most all Gundam but particularly Iron Blooded Orphans, full metal panic for starters.

Sorry that's more for anime but there is good manga for Jormungand at least iirc.

There's a manwha called Teenage Mercenary on webtoon that's decent.

Dead dead dededestruction is another one kinda.

Girls Last Tour seems pretty spot on though for what you're looking at.

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 20, 2021