Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RIP to a real one.

EDIT:

EimiYoshikawa posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911290&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post518896243

I found this by pure chance when I was browsing elsewhere in the forums, and I hadn't seen it mentioned here, so I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drat, it feels just yesterday he was getting feedback for all of the definitely not at all bad ideas his Dark Ages Tzimisce mad scientist had.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seemed like a good dude. I liked him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
:smith:

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

drat, dude. I may not post a lot, but I read this thread basically every day and Yawgmoth was a delight every time he posted.
I'm going through his old posts now and I'm really gonna miss this dude who has brightened my day for like over a decade, even though we never even once interacted.
RIP Yawg

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
RIP Yawg.

In other news, V5 has finally defeated my Storyteller's patience with its antagonistic attitude to players and poor layouts.

Our Chronicle ends with storming a Tzimisce hideout.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Terratina posted:

RIP Yawg.

In other news, V5 has finally defeated my Storyteller's patience with its antagonistic attitude to players and poor layouts.

Our Chronicle ends with storming a Tzimisce hideout.

HAve Yawg's dark ages fiend in there somewhere

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man that sucks. Gonna miss Yawg and his really good posts.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Well, poo poo. RIP Yawgmoth, I fuckin' loved the stories of his sessions.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Dang that sucks. RIP Yawgmoth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This has given the terrifying realization that I don't know anyone that posts in these forums irl so if I suddenly die no one will know. I'll just vanish one day.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Don't forget the bit about how Obama's election caused the roads to Arcadia to open again.

I am reading back the thread to read about your many awesome commentaries and this one came up. This is some pure uncut high carat white wolf there, I went unfazed with the 9/11 and the red star but this one just razed me

edit: rip to the good poster yawgmoth

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 13, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I am reading back the thread to read about your many awesome commentaries and this one came up. This is some pure uncut high carat white wolf there, I went unfazed with the 9/11 and the red star but this one just razed me

edit: rip to the good poster yawgmoth

There's Amerocentrism and then there's Amerocentrism.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Linking back 40 pages deep made me read through a good few months’ worth of posts and, dang, people ask about the Aspirations system a lot, don’t they.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kavak posted:

Twist, it's the other Arcadia

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Kavak posted:

This is the gameline that originally said European fae had mostly died out and everything was centred on the US because of the American Dream, and when it grudgingly did a UK book listed prices in dollars.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Obama being elected was right up there with, and I quote, the fall of the Berlin Wall and apartheid being overturned in South Africa for sparking so much Glamour the trods opened up.

If it helps, 9/11 is still resolutely and blessedly supernatural free, thanks to that spineless Justin Achilli or whatever Swedracula thought of him.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

This is the gameline that originally said European fae had mostly died out and everything was centred on the US because of the American Dream, and when it grudgingly did a UK book listed prices in dollars.

:allears: OH 90'S White Wolf :allears:

Also RIP to Yawg, he was a good dude, I chatted with him a few times on discord and he was generally pretty cool. Gonna miss his recaps of his his dark ages campaign.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Obama being elected was right up there with, and I quote, the fall of the Berlin Wall and apartheid being overturned in South Africa for sparking so much Glamour the trods opened up.

See if they made Glamour releases regional it wouldn't be so bad. Like I wouldn't be able to stop myself from insisting the Red Sox breaking the curse would have opened Boston's trods.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's so sad to hear about Yawgmoth. I enjoyed their posts very much. :(

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps, 9/11 is still resolutely and blessedly supernatural free, thanks to that spineless Justin Achilli or whatever Swedracula thought of him.
I had the idea once of opening up a Technocrats campaign with, essentially, an op that is a relatively routine introduction to things and character meeting/building but which would have, at the end of the second act, inadvertently prevented 9/11. This was mostly a conceit to be able to say "you can't expect what's coming," and would have worked way better if I'd run it in 2010 rather than 2021 :v:

In some ways I think the Mage spheres would have worked better if they just went with Ars Magica style rules, since a lot of the 1-5 Spheres generally follow that chart anyway (if I remember it went Intelligo, Mutam, Creo, Rego, Perdo, often with some arbitrary interior category for greater or lesser (whatever it is) forms.) You want to try to bring back the recently dead with Death 1 and Control 1? OK cabron, let's see how hot your dice are.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Meanwhile, I was running a Mage game set in New York, and a climactic encounter shaved the top chunk off of the WTC about 2 weeks before 9/11. That felt a little awkward.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I sat and read the entirety of Vampire the Masquerade: Winter's Teeth

It's far better than I would ever have imagined a licensed comic put out by a company I've never heard of could ever be, and I highly recommend it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kavak posted:

See if they made Glamour releases regional it wouldn't be so bad. Like I wouldn't be able to stop myself from insisting the Red Sox breaking the curse would have opened Boston's trods.

Honestly that's probably extremely in keeping with how Glamour should in fact work.

Blockhouse posted:

I sat and read the entirety of Vampire the Masquerade: Winter's Teeth

It's far better than I would ever have imagined a licensed comic put out by a company I've never heard of could ever be, and I highly recommend it.

The Crimson Thaw comic which introduces Garou is pretty good, too. There's some interesting things in it already, like one tribe is apparently now the Ghost Council. Who it replaced I'm not sure, but we also have Silver Fangs, Black Furies, Bone Gnawers and Glass Walkers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Huzzah I just wrapped up my second session of the V5 embrace story I'm running.

So much happened in a couple of hours of play:

Picking up 2 weeks after her embrace The player found out that she had been granted her old apartment as a haven, but she's expected to be at her Sire's home an hour after sunset to keep this deal. She went to her first Elysium and was introduced to the Prince (to be on the safe side according to her sire). The Prince was friendly and explained that this was an informal introduction and that when her sire saw fit to release her, she would be presented to the court and made a full member of the Camarilla.

The Prince addressed the assembled Kindred and told them not to worry about the Lupine rumors, but do go ahead and murder the gently caress out of any hunter cells they find. (They aren't 2nd Inquisition backed hunters, just some goobers making trouble)

Also our brilliant Prince (who has held SF for about 2 months in story at this point after Sara Anne Winder disappeared) went and called a bloodhunt on any Sabbat found in the bay area and then had the captured Sabbat member executed in front of the crowd. This absolutely won't lead to utter loving chaos :v:

The player also met with some chill Anarchs, a Toredor and a Malkavian who informed her that she's not her sire's first childer, and that whatever her sire sees in her (and the various comments about her being sired) is unknown to them but it says something that she waited about 20 years since her previous childer to use her "One embrace free" card.

She met a nice boy Nosferatu named Max who deals in information and takes puzzles and puzzle books as payment for information, who dropped that the Tremere are being really loving weird lately and he's not sure why, maybe Carna is involved. He also dropped a bit of rumor about the "Book of the Grave war" and it's possible power (if it exists).

So now she's had a chance to hangout with some cool Anarchs who told her that telling the Cam to go gently caress itself is totally a thing you can do, got some potentially useful information about area goings on and has a bit of info she can toss at her sire in an argument for dramatic effect.

Now I need to take a couple days to let this simmer before I go back over the audio of the session to take notes and start writing the third session.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Really stupid question about nosferatu.

Are all nosferatu specifically physically repulsive to look at and ugly in terms of conventional beauty or is the ugliness not necessarily a physical thing but more of an aura and that they just exude the idea and concept of being repulsive and ugly, for whatever definition of what that means being up to the player playing them?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FirstAidKite posted:

Are all nosferatu specifically physically repulsive to look at and ugly in terms of conventional beauty or is the ugliness not necessarily a physical thing but more of an aura and that they just exude the idea and concept of being repulsive and ugly, for whatever definition of what that means being up to the player playing them?

In Masquerade I'm pretty sure it's 100% physical unattractiveness. In Requiem they can just be generally unsettling.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A nosferatu and a zeky going through disfigurement get into a staring contest, who wins

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

In Masquerade it is 100% physical. They are the "Max Schrek as Nosferatu" clan, so pointy ears, bad skin etc. There is a level 3 Obfuscate power called "Mask of 1000 Faces" that allows the user to take on a non descript look to blend in and interact so I'd assume some Nos probably use that (Gary Golden used it several times in LA by Night)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

In Masquerade I'm pretty sure it's 100% physical unattractiveness. In Requiem they can just be generally unsettling.

Yeah. In Requiem you could even have, say, Striking Looks it's just the fact you talk without opening your mouth or your eyelids blink like a lizard's makes people weirded out.

In V5 you're no longer a walking Masquerade breach, just powerfully ugly and can't have the Looks merit.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The exception was Kli Kodesh's weird bloodline, which by virtue of having the literal blood of christ in their veins, were unearthly perfect alabaster statues of human beings. No, I'm not joking.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Loomer posted:

The exception was Kli Kodesh's weird bloodline, which by virtue of having the literal blood of christ in their veins, were unearthly perfect alabaster statues of human beings. No, I'm not joking.

What book was this and is the rest of it just as insane?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I remember the Grail Knights from Dark Ages.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pakxos posted:

What book was this and is the rest of it just as insane?

Grails Covenant Trilogy, and no, not really. They're just plain bad books on the whole* and despite having Judas Iscariot as a main character fail to actually do or say anything interesting with the premise. David Niall Wilson just isn't a very good writer, unfortunately - even where his ideas are good, the execution is lacking.

(*: what do I mean by this? I mean that they're muddled and have major pacing issues. They throw out large chunks of real history for no apparent reason, very little actually happens in them, and character motivations are both wafer thin and waffling a lot of the time. Add in that his prose is often either stilted or purple and they fall flat. By comparison, Gherbod Fleming/John H. Steele, who has some big issues himself, is a master at actually knowing how to write motivations and plot out a story with at least workmanlike competency of narrative beats (also, they both wanted to do wild and crazy poo poo - and in Steele's case, while the resulting novel Tower of Babel wasn't a very good book, it at least stuck to wanting to do something out of the ordinary for a White Wolf novel all the way through to the end - something Wilson never managed and which made him quite bitter. Wilson hated working for White Wolf, while Steele seemed to really dig it and also get it - that Vampire is both a moody goth game and a world of caped superheros with fangs - to a much higher degree.)

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Loomer posted:

Grails Covenant Trilogy, and no, not really. They're just plain bad books on the whole* and despite having Judas Iscariot as a main character fail to actually do or say anything interesting with the premise.

Not surprising tbh. But man, as someone who enjoys the good gonzo of 90's WW, 'oWOD's vampire-bloodline of Christ' could have been the best kind of dumpster fire.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My game master, when confronted with the bad rules of M20, said that they’re good actually. He’s a great guy but has never been the best with rules.

This game is gonna crash and burn so fast lol.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

joylessdivision posted:

In Masquerade it is 100% physical. They are the "Max Schrek as Nosferatu" clan, so pointy ears, bad skin etc. There is a level 3 Obfuscate power called "Mask of 1000 Faces" that allows the user to take on a non descript look to blend in and interact so I'd assume some Nos probably use that (Gary Golden used it several times in LA by Night)

Incorrect, and Parliament of Knives actually has a Nos that looks normal to kindred and seems unassuming, and then around actual mortals who aren't ghouls he's severely offputting and wrong.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

My game master, when confronted with the bad rules of M20, said that they’re good actually. He’s a great guy but has never been the best with rules.

:shepicide:

I wanted to use it to run a short Technocracy thing, but Naw. However as long as you are in an exciting mess it will be fine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fuzz posted:

Incorrect, and Parliament of Knives actually has a Nos that looks normal to kindred and seems unassuming, and then around actual mortals who aren't ghouls he's severely offputting and wrong.

:shrug: I'm not surprised if ancillary or incidental sources diverge, because lol White Wolf games, but every core book up to the 5th edition specifies physical deformity for Masquerade Nosferatu (and skimming the revised Clanbook, I don't see any disagreement). I don't recall there ever being "normal-looking but offputting" on the table throughout most of Masquerade, though, and I was fairly deep into it when it was at its height.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 14, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

:wtc: When my group attempted to play M20, the spellcasting "rules" were so slipshod and full of holes that I ended up importing better mechanics from Awakening 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If they have sufficiently little care about the rules and no one pushes too hard on system mastery, it's possible the game will be fine by accidentally avoiding actually interacting with most of the rules, good or bad.