Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Went 3-0 in prerelease tonight :hellyeah:

Grats!

I went 2-1 with Selesnya splashed with red. Honestly thought I’d get housed because I felt like my rares were weak, except for Torens, Fist of the Angels. Especially since I only drew Torens ONCE. He won me that game, but that was the only time he ever showed up.

Meanwhile my one Dormant Grove showed up in every single loving game I played. In my final game that combo’d with Sigarda’s Summons and made all my little baby wolfs and humans into 5/5 flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are a TON of obnoxious rares in this set. Prince format for sure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TotalHell posted:

Grats!

I went 2-1 with Selesnya splashed with red. Honestly thought I’d get housed because I felt like my rares were weak, except for Torens, Fist of the Angels. Especially since I only drew Torens ONCE. He won me that game, but that was the only time he ever showed up.

Meanwhile my one Dormant Grove showed up in every single loving game I played. In my final game that combo’d with Sigarda’s Summons and made all my little baby wolfs and humans into 5/5 flyers.

Hell yeah!

My other MVP was Howlpack Piper. Turns out an uncounterable sorcery-speed Aether Vial that lets you reliably turn day into night and get more creatures into your hand is pretty good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also the one time I got mr. Horror slug out I got to make five slugs from killing my opponents’ creatures

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Went 3-0 at prerelease going all in on R/B Blood tokens. Won a bunch of games on the back of the 6/6 flying Demon that makes copies of itself. This set is fun but there are a lot of cards that are literally unbeatable.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I really want that slug.

*gets punched in the arm by a guy from 1997*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TotalHell posted:

I really want that slug.

*gets punched in the arm by a guy from 1997*

*Casts Hertz Donut*

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

There are a TON of obnoxious rares in this set. Prince format for sure.

Even in constructed, it seems the rare count needed for decks just went up again. No shame at all anymore.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Even in constructed, it seems the rare count needed for decks just went up again. No shame at all anymore.

How many rares and mythics "should be" in a standard deck? Assume a two colour deck, plus sideboard.

30? 40?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drewjitsu posted:

How many rares and mythics "should be" in a standard deck? Assume a two colour deck, plus sideboard.

30? 40?

Play the cards that make your deck work and ignore rarety

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

30? 40?

8-12 lands, 20-30 other cards, 4-8 in the sideboard. so 30-50 out of 75 is my guess

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

Play the cards that make your deck work and ignore rarety

:rolleyes:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drewjitsu posted:

30? 40?

Magic.gg will break things down by rarity for you, but for the last 3 world championships, the low was Azorius Control 2019 with 30-35 rates and basically no mythics. 2-color decks are generally 30-45 r/m, Omnath 4c was close to 50, and Jeskai Fires could be something dumb close to 60. I don't know if trying to chart historically back to the inception of mythics is worthwhile, but the answer is basically "half your deck is r/m with a couple extra per color", so what deck are people even using as an example in current standard to say it's too high?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Go on...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:imunfunny:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
1: Good decks need too many rares in them, [this is a cash grab for Arena]

2: What does it mean to have "too many" rares, what is the correct number?

3: Don't worry about rarity [Sarcasm? Misunderstanding the issue? Both?]

4-5: Sass

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I think Hoot was misinterpreting the question and read it like the person wanted to know the recommended number of rares per deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'd love to (unsarcastically) see some data on how many rares/mythics are required for a competitive deck now vs any time since like M10. I don't feel like it's any higher, but that's just anecdotal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LeafHouse posted:

I think Hoot was misinterpreting the question and read it like the person wanted to know the recommended number of rares per deck.
This is what happened and I made a mistake

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Devor posted:

1: Good decks need too many rares in them, [this is a cash grab for Arena]

It's always been that way. There's a reason you got Noggle Bridgebreaker at common and Mindwrack Liege at rare.

...Why was I looking at eventide, the last set before mythic rarity, anyway?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I looked at the 2010 world championship decks for comparison and PVDDR’s winning deck had 35 rares/mythics maindeck by my count

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's always been that way. There's a reason you got Noggle Bridgebreaker at common and Mindwrack Liege at rare.

Things have been going downhill since they printed Vindicate at rare.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not sure what the shell will look like but Dollhouse is going to be great in standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Ehh nothing is all that expensive.I don’t think it’s worse than previous formats. You always need rares.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 14, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I looked at the 2010 world championship decks for comparison and PVDDR’s winning deck had 35 rares/mythics maindeck by my count

Lets not forget that "Mythic" was just a deck around then, running 40-50 rare/mythics by my count.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/mythic-conscription-2010-08-30

https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/mythic-bant-decklist-by-chi-keung-wong-1545

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/feature-article-mythic-evolution/

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Not sure what the shell will look like but Dollhouse is going to be great in standard.

Am I about to craft Myriad Construct, blegh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well went 4-0 at that prerelease. I had nothing good except the 6 mana green 4/4 that puts counters down. Avabrook caretaker I think? Regardless I never drew her. I just played W/G super aggro with a ton of 2/2 and a few removal spells and beat everyone else who were playing greedy 3 color decks mostly.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Did a mixed Midnight Hunt/Crimson Vow draft with some friends last night, went RG and pulled Halana and Elena and Saryth, got them both out with some cheaper trample/menace bros and did pretty well. The horror movie packs are gonna be cool I think.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I posted a couple of weeks back about getting into paper magic with my girlfriend and I wanted to give a trip report so far.

I ended up getting us a few of the JumpStart booster packs and that has been a lot of fun. She actually opened the Mythic rarity Phyrexia jumpstart pack which comes with a nice mythic Sheoldred, Whispering One and a dope rear end Swamp with the text in Phyrexian. My best pack from the few we opened got me a goblin theme with Krenko, Mob Boss. Overall, we really like this randomized deck thing and will probably pick up some more of these packs over time when we want a bit of a change of pace.

We signed up for a beginner pre-release at the store nearby for last night, but when we got there apparently some trees had come down nearby and the power had been out for 8 hours at that point and they had to cancel. This was a real bummer because apparently they had decorated it like the wedding and had wine to toast to Olivia and Edgar. That would have been fun. So, we took our kits and what would have been our prize boosters and went home and played together. I ended up with a fairly strong B/W deck that had a lot of flying creatures that she had a tough time dealing with. But she also managed to open Toxrill, the Corrosive (with the alternate black and white art.) My prize boosters also included a Cemetary Desecrator.

Overall, we're really liking it and I want to get a commander deck and go to the store on their commander days now. Looking forward to the next pre-release also and maybe their power will be back by them.

EDIT: Question - The cards in our pre-release boosters were all oriented how I expected, but our boosters that we got as prizes had the cards completely flipped backwards in order. Like if you looked at them face up the foil was first, then the rare etc. All of these were draft boosters though. Do the different factories sometimes pack the cards differently?

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 14, 2021

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Abisteen posted:

I posted a couple of weeks back about getting into paper magic with my girlfriend and I wanted to give a trip report so far.

I ended up getting us a few of the JumpStart booster packs and that has been a lot of fun. She actually opened the Mythic rarity Phyrexia jumpstart pack which comes with a nice mythic Sheoldred, Whispering One and a dope rear end Swamp with the text in Phyrexian. My best pack from the few we opened got me a goblin theme with Krenko, Mob Boss. Overall, we really like this randomized deck thing and will probably pick up some more of these packs over time when we want a bit of a change of pace.

We signed up for a beginner pre-release at the store nearby for last night, but when we got there apparently some trees had come down nearby and the power had been out for 8 hours at that point and they had to cancel. This was a real bummer because apparently they had decorated it like the wedding and had wine to toast to Olivia and Edgar. That would have been fun. So, we took our kits and what would have been our prize boosters and went home and played together. I ended up with a fairly strong B/W deck that had a lot of flying creatures that she had a tough time dealing with. But she also managed to open Toxrill, the Corrosive (with the alternate black and white art.) My prize boosters also included a Cemetary Desecrator.

Overall, we're really liking it and I want to get a commander deck and go to the store on their commander days now. Looking forward to the next pre-release also and maybe their power will be back by them.

EDIT: Question - The cards in our pre-release boosters were all oriented how I expected, but our boosters that we got as prizes had the cards completely flipped backwards in order. Like if you looked at them face up the foil was first, then the rare etc. All of these were draft boosters though. Do the different factories sometimes pack the cards differently?

Awesome that you're having a great time with it. Yes, the cards from Japan are packed in a different order than the US packs. Also the cards feel different, and they have a different finish on the basic land borders. I much prefer the look and feel of the cards from my Made in Japan prize packs than the main ones from my prerelease kit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 14, 2021

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I played my first Sealed Draft on arena today and knocked out 5 wins with a completely unremarkable white/green deck. Think I had one rare in the deck and it wasn't even a good one. The deck had decent synergy though and the Disturb mechanic was really useful for filling in gaps where I didn't have anything to play. My losses were all against really overpowered decks with multiple good legendaries / planeswalkers so I felt pretty good about how I did. The one thing that was a bit disappointing were the rewards. Getting 5/7 wins didn't even recoup the entry fee in gems and you get the same number of packs regardless of how many wins. Is there a better way to spend gems on Arena? I have only spent $5 real money to get the beginner bundle that is pretty solid value and am trying to figure out the best way to spend gems/gold.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I played my first Sealed Draft on arena today and knocked out 5 wins with a completely unremarkable white/green deck. Think I had one rare in the deck and it wasn't even a good one. The deck had decent synergy though and the Disturb mechanic was really useful for filling in gaps where I didn't have anything to play. My losses were all against really overpowered decks with multiple good legendaries / planeswalkers so I felt pretty good about how I did. The one thing that was a bit disappointing were the rewards. Getting 5/7 wins didn't even recoup the entry fee in gems and you get the same number of packs regardless of how many wins. Is there a better way to spend gems on Arena? I have only spent $5 real money to get the beginner bundle that is pretty solid value and am trying to figure out the best way to spend gems/gold.

For the first few weeks of a set there's "Traditional Sealed" with much better prize support

4 wins is 2200 gems and some packs, 3 wins is... 1800 gems and some packs I think.

Or maybe the other one isn't best of 3?idk

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Is the non-flying part of Dreadfast Demon an "activated ability", "triggered ability" or neither? do activated abilities require the colon to be deemed an activated ability?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It is a triggered ability.

You’re correct that activated abilities require an activation cost denoted by what’s in front of the colon.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Abisteen posted:

My biggest problem with Jumpstart is well two problems. 18 lands in a 40 card deck and some of the packs the mana curve is just awful. It makes the games boring sometimes.

I might keep a selection of draft chaff in the box, and allow players to pick one for their deck and swap out a land.

My other idea is to keep my FNM draft decks and use those as a sort of Jumpstart. The only problem being that I will often sell the more valuable picks on TCGP.

All of this is through the lens of trying to get my 11 year old daughter into Magic. She's super smart, but it's hard for a card game to compete with Stardew Valley or YouTube.

I think the best way will be to build a dog-themed EDH deck, since she loves dogs. I just have to tone down whatever deck I build so I can never say "I Murder your dog".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Throwing someone into Arena is probably the best way to get someone new to the game to intuitively understand phases and the stack, tbh

I used to say it for MTGO but Arena is even more streamlined!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Strong Sauce posted:

Is the non-flying part of Dreadfast Demon an "activated ability", "triggered ability" or neither? do activated abilities require the colon to be deemed an activated ability?

Correct, activated abilities are "[cost] : (effect)," the colon being the important part.

Triggered abilities start with "When, whenever," or "At."

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 15, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Triggered abilities start with "Whenever, whenever,"

You’re thinking of Shakirabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean just look at Eager First-Year and Leonin Lightscribe for an even more obviously gross example