Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I also have a weird thing most folks don't have which is a pension. I'm currently putting 15% into 401k (no matching) but I also get a pension based on hours banked. If I keep working this job until 65, my pension payout calculation is $4500/mo until I die and I also get pension health as well. Not sure if my pension health extends to my wife tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Ugh, I do already have a trad IRA due to rolling over an old 401k into a Rollover IRA (which I think is considered a trad IRA) a long while ago.

Look into rolling your Rollover IRA into your current 401k, if you have one and it's decent. Doing that will make a backdoor Roth easier/doable. It'll have to be done by December 31st if you want to backdoor this year.

Alternatively, if it's a small IRA, you can pay taxes on it now and convert it to Roth along with the backdoor.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

These were both very helpful. We decided to each create an IRA and are starting that process today. Trying to set up with Vanguard but I cannot create an account with them - keep getting some technical error :|

Am waiting for a customer service rep to call me with next steps. If I can't get this set up with them, my alternative was going to be fidelity (based on posts I've read here) but any other suggestions would be great.

Going to set up IRA, revisit the investment conversation in two months with my partner, and then establish some more specific financial goals beyond be able to eat and retire at some point

Not a problem!

I have saved thousands of dollars by discovering BFC, so I am very happy to pay it forward. I was not very educated until I started reading here.

Also, I am biased and like Vanguard, but Fidelity is totally fine, just make sure it’s the equivalent target date fund and a expense ratio of less than 0.2%.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Fidelity in particular likes to push their lovely target freedom funds that are like a .6% expense ratio. They have better, low cost ones, but good luck finding them on the site. If you're having trouble just post what year you want here and we can help find the ticker.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Yeah, the difference is to look for "Fidelity Freedom Index {Date} Fund - Investor Class" vs. "Fidelity Freedom Index {Date} Fund"

I screwed that one up for a little bit when rolling my wife's Fidelity 401k over to a Fidelity IRA, but the difference for at least the 2040 fund is 0.12 vs. 0.75. I only looked into fixing it, because people said Fidelity was competitive with Vanguard and I thought something seemed sketchy.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Shaocaholica posted:

Trying to catch up on all this. Read the OP. Still reading If You Can. The example in the op is $2mil by 65. Does that assume the retiree is paying rent/mortgage until they die or are living in a paid off house?

Also (how) should the target scale with salary? Like someone at age 65 making $100k vs someone else making $200k? Should the higher salaried person aim for a linearly higher retirement?

As others have mentioned, your number depends on expenses, not income. To incorporate a mortgage, your number will be something like this: [Annual expenses excluding (the principal and interest portion of your mortgage payment)] * 30 + [outstanding mortgage balance].

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’ve accepted a new job and I’m reading over the benefits package, all of which sound great, but are new to me, so I don’t understand them all. Along with googling, I’m asking here and I’ll be sure to check with the benefits department about this stuff. They have a pension plan, which appears to be 5.5% of my pay and they also offer a 401k on top of that that offers what looks like 4.5% match.

It would be a no brainer to do both, correct? I’d like to max out the 401k if at all possible. There are no 401k limits combined with pension contributions, are there?

They also offer something called non-qualified pension and savings plans payable in the absence of IRS limits. This doesn’t appear to be the pension/savings plan and I don’t have any idea what it is. The savings plan says they contribute 4.5% to that as well, so is that the 401k plan or something else?

I’ll probably roll over my previous 401k into a vanguard Roth rollover IRA and put it in VTSAX, but I’m unsure what to do with the other options above.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

that better be a hell of a pension if it costs 5.5% of your gross

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
How likely are you to be at this work place long enough that you might actually use the pension? If you don't see yourself there for a long time, it might be better to just increase your 401k contribution since that is much more portable.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pmchem posted:

It says that’s the amount credited per year, which I assume is withheld from my paychecks? I don’t know how to determine how good of a pension it is. Normally it’s 4.5%, but I’m >40, so it’s higher.

E: maybe I explained it incorrectly - it appears that the employer credits my account with 5.5% per year, plus annual interest credits, but the benefits paperwork doesn’t say how much it will actually withhold.

drainpipe posted:

How likely are you to be at this work place long enough that you might actually use the pension? If you don't see yourself there for a long time, it might be better to just increase your 401k contribution since that is much more portable.

Ideally, the remainder of my career, probably 10-15 years. I’m still planning on maxing the 401k as long as there’s no restrictions to do so with a pension plan.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 13, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
A real pension, AND a 401k match? Where the gently caress do you live, Germany ?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

A real pension, AND a 401k match? Where the gently caress do you live, Germany ?

The company HQ is in Germany, yes :)

I’m in the US though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

E: maybe I explained it incorrectly - it appears that the [German] employer credits my account with 5.5% per year, plus

In the states we call this a "5.5% employer match", I think is how I would translate that

Here 4% is pretty common, I've seen 2% and 3% and occasionally as high as 6%. Pensions in the US are mostly extinct unless you're in education or utilities

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

pmchem posted:

As a federal employee (civilian) my pension eats like 4.4% or something. If I’d started a year earlier it would have been 3.1%, and before that 0.8%, in a wonderful case of union negotiations loving over new employees while grandfathering in older employees.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

In the states we call this a "5.5% employer match", I think is how I would translate that

Here 4% is pretty common, I've seen 2% and 3% and occasionally as high as 6%. Pensions in the US are mostly extinct unless you're in education or utilities

It’s pharma

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Education here, my pension contribution is 6.2%, and my uni kicks in another ... 12.4%? Something ridiculous. Six more years until I vest, though. To make up for it, our 403 "match" is 3% of the first $18k, so $540. No COLAs, no raises in the match. Back in the 1990s, that match was alright.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cacafuego posted:

It says that’s the amount credited per year, which I assume is withheld from my paychecks? I don’t know how to determine how good of a pension it is. Normally it’s 4.5%, but I’m >40, so it’s higher.

E: maybe I explained it incorrectly - it appears that the employer credits my account with 5.5% per year, plus annual interest credits, but the benefits paperwork doesn’t say how much it will actually withhold.

Ideally, the remainder of my career, probably 10-15 years. I’m still planning on maxing the 401k as long as there’s no restrictions to do so with a pension plan.

It sounds like it reads like my pension. Company puts in money for you and you don't. Then you get the 401k on top. It is best to just ask HR how it works.

My pension is 10% of my salary put in by the company each year (i put in $0) plus interest. Then a 4% 401k match on top of that. Those golden handcuffs....

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cacafuego posted:

I’ve accepted a new job and I’m reading over the benefits package, all of which sound great, but are new to me, so I don’t understand them all. Along with googling, I’m asking here and I’ll be sure to check with the benefits department about this stuff. They have a pension plan, which appears to be 5.5% of my pay and they also offer a 401k on top of that that offers what looks like 4.5% match.

It would be a no brainer to do both, correct? I’d like to max out the 401k if at all possible. There are no 401k limits combined with pension contributions, are there?

They also offer something called non-qualified pension and savings plans payable in the absence of IRS limits. This doesn’t appear to be the pension/savings plan and I don’t have any idea what it is. The savings plan says they contribute 4.5% to that as well, so is that the 401k plan or something else?

I’ll probably roll over my previous 401k into a vanguard Roth rollover IRA and put it in VTSAX, but I’m unsure what to do with the other options above.

401k limits don't interact with pension contributions, so you're good there. if it's a qualified pension then your contributions should also be tax deferred. a non-qualified pension can range from being a kind of 401k like deferred compensation contribution to an insurance vehicle, your benefits department is probably going to be able to help you there more than we will

pmchem posted:

as a ca non-law enforcement state employee, my pension deducts about 8% from my gross pay (technically i don't have to contribute from like the first $550 dollars in each paycheck), for 2% of max salary per service year at 62 with cola, plus zero cost health insurance after retirement. so depending on the benefit it's in the range of a major us public sector employer

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Velius posted:

As a federal employee (civilian) my pension eats like 4.4% or something. If I’d started a year earlier it would have been 3.1%, and before that 0.8%, in a wonderful case of union negotiations loving over new employees while grandfathering in older employees.

As OG FERS locked in at 0.8% you have my sympathy. The revisions really hosed over later employees. I don’t know that any public sector unions had a hand in that though. As always, you can blame congress for deciding that underpaying federal civilian employees wasn’t nearly good enough punishment for their service.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Each year I put in $0 plus interest.

New thread title?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as a ca non-law enforcement state employee, my pension deducts about 8% from my gross pay (technically i don't have to contribute from like the first $550 dollars in each paycheck), for 2% of max salary per service year at 62 with cola, plus zero cost health insurance after retirement. so depending on the benefit it's in the range of a major us public sector employer

Hello fellow CALPERS. Maybe STRS. 2@ 62 is a drat crime. Especially if I had been hired 2 months prior, it woulda been 2@59.5. And 2 years prior, 2@55.

And they upped vesting to 10 years. Good god.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Loucks posted:

As OG FERS locked in at 0.8% you have my sympathy. The revisions really hosed over later employees. I don’t know that any public sector unions had a hand in that though. As always, you can blame congress for deciding that underpaying federal civilian employees wasn’t nearly good enough punishment for their service.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t blame the union but it feels like this sort of thing doesn’t happen if multiple parties aren’t on board with loving over the employees of the future.

Velius fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 14, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Noah posted:

Hello fellow CALPERS. Maybe STRS. 2@ 62 is a drat crime. Especially if I had been hired 2 months prior, it woulda been 2@59.5. And 2 years prior, 2@55.

And they upped vesting to 10 years. Good god.

i'm a new hire and this poo poo with bargaining units and a union that's nominally representing one single slice of the state employees seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end. still, coming from a tiny employer in the private sector i feel lucky to have this

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Velius posted:

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t blame the union but it feels like this sort of thing doesn’t happen if multiple parties aren’t on board with loving over the employees of the future.

It’s been going on for decades at this point. In Connecticut, to be in the Tier 1 pension you had to be hired before 1984. That was the 2% at age 55 with 25 years of service plan, which has run a deficit forever.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I got hit by a car while riding a bicycle and got a pretty decent insurance settlement (still not worth getting hit by a car).

I have around 100k left on my mortgage.

Should I pay off my mortgage and invest the amount for the mortgage into my retirement or invest the 100k directly into my retirement.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Sounds like compound interest on that bulk sum would bring in much more than paying off mortgage and then doing monthly deposits, if I understood correctly, but I'm curious what experts here think.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Milosh posted:

I got hit by a car while riding a bicycle and got a pretty decent insurance settlement (still not worth getting hit by a car).

I have around 100k left on my mortgage.

Should I pay off my mortgage and invest the amount for the mortgage into my retirement or invest the 100k directly into my retirement.

What is your mortgage rate? Do you have any other debts and if so what interest rates? Do you have a 3-6 month emergency fund in cash? Do you expect to need more treatment/will be getting more medical bills as a result of the accident?

If all of the above is in order, like low mortgage interest rate, no debt, you have an emergency fund, no more bills then this is a "hot topic" where the answer depends on what you personally want to do. Mathematically and realistically, locking up money in a house is making it very illiquid. Investing that money in a taxable brokerage account means you have much easier access to it, and even a simple conservative portfolio of low cost mutual funds are typically going to far outperform what you're paying in interest on your mortgage.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

What is your mortgage rate? Do you have any other debts and if so what interest rates? Do you have a 3-6 month emergency fund in cash? Do you expect to need more treatment/will be getting more medical bills as a result of the accident?

If all of the above is in order, like low mortgage interest rate, no debt, you have an emergency fund, no more bills then this is a "hot topic" where the answer depends on what you personally want to do. Mathematically and realistically, locking up money in a house is making it very illiquid. Investing that money in a taxable brokerage account means you have much easier access to it, and even a simple conservative portfolio of low cost mutual funds are typically going to far outperform what you're paying in interest on your mortgage.

Paid off all my debts besides student loans (I should qualify for loan forgiveness) with the initial part of the settlement. Our mortgage interest is ~3%.

Sounds like investing it conservatively is the way to go. Thanks goons!

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Vanguard has been begging me for years to transition my Roth IRA to their new platform. I can't find anything that breaks down how the fee structures or anything will change by doing this. I can't find anything on fees at all. What new fees will I incur by switching platforms on my Roth IRA that I contribute the max to, once a year, but otherwise completely ignore? I have a Vanguard target date retirement fund.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm pretty certain I incurred no fees nor did my fee structure change when I moved to the new platform. I think it's just an unfortunately laborious back end process on their side which takes up to a week.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm a new hire and this poo poo with bargaining units and a union that's nominally representing one single slice of the state employees seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end. still, coming from a tiny employer in the private sector i feel lucky to have this

The big money is in the medical post-retirement which can actually start at 52 (pro-rated pension payouts). I'm not sure what your bargaining unit / union segment is, but there's definitely some disparities across CA employment. Godspeed you! public sector.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Velius posted:

Up here in Canada, federal employee pension takes 8.89% of my gross each pay. Changes every year due to contribution adjustments, but it's still a pretty big chunk of each cheque.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If this is the wrong place to ask just say so and I will delete it. But I have some coworkers who have refinanced their homes for 30 years in anticipation of increased and sustained inflation.

Is this crazy?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mortgage rates are still historically low, and doing a refi to lock in ~3% fixed over 30 years is some of the cheapest leverage you’ll ever get regardless of inflation.

And if we do see some sustained inflation and rate raises it’s even cheaper.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Guinness posted:

Mortgage rates are still historically low, and doing a refi to lock in ~3% fixed over 30 years is some of the cheapest leverage you’ll ever get regardless of inflation.

And if we do see some sustained inflation and rate raises it’s even cheaper.

Thank you, When I talked to my wife about it I told her it feels like trying to time the market, but I also feel like inflation is going to stick around for a few years.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you, When I talked to my wife about it I told her it feels like trying to time the market, but I also feel like inflation is going to stick around for a few years.

What's your current mortgage rate? Even absent inflation timing-the-market-isms, it might still make sense to refi now given how low rates are.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ropes4u posted:

The reason you don't time the stock market is because you don't know what the stock market's gonna do. You know exactly what a 30 year mortgage at 3% is gonna do.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

bergeoisie posted:

What's your current mortgage rate? Even absent inflation timing-the-market-isms, it might still make sense to refi now given how low rates are.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

That's basically market rate, isn't it? Can you even refinance much lower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Won't find much lower than 3.25 on a 30yr fixed these days. A year ago rates were in the mid-high 2s but that ship has sailed. Low 3s is still historically low and drat near free money. Drag out that payment schedule as long as possible and let the time value of money and inflation eat away at the balance's real dollar value.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 15, 2021