Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

I was mostly joking. Given the size of the legs (~18" deep 3/4" wide), the distance between them, and the bending strength of cherry I'd be pretty confident dancing on it with a friend and have stood on it in the past. When watered the plants on the longer spans are likely heavier than the tank will be.

Homie those plants definitely do not weigh a combined 130lbs wet.

But if you’re confident that the stand can hold you up then go for it. Are you thinking freshwater or saltwater? Aquaclear 50 is probably too much filter for a lot of freshwater setups of that size but it’s probably fine. It’s pretty much perfect as a sump on a nano reef tho.

Semi-comedy option: grow a mangrove in it.

Start it from a rhizome and it can be trained to grow in fresh, salt, or brackish water. But once it’s established in a given salinity/habitat it cannot be switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Homie those plants definitely do not weigh a combined 130lbs wet.

They're heavier than you might think between the gritty mix and the ceramic pots (and the fancy schmancy copper trays someone on Etsy made for me :3:). I did the math because I don't have a scale handy and the one with the Pachycereus on the bottom is >30 pounds dry sans plant on its own (~22 pounds for 2.7 gallons of gritty mix says the manufacturer and another ten for the pot based on Amazon) and the shallow one with the Aloes is similar (less volume but a heavier pot). Napkin math and my pot volume spreadsheet (don't ask) says just the gritty in the other pots on that shelf is another 30 pounds.

Anyway I'm just going to gently caress around with some fairly basic freshwater plants (not planning on CO2 unless it turns out I gots to) and some wood and rocks and poo poo and see how it goes. The 50 is probably overkill for 12 gallons of plants but you can adjust the flow so I don't imagine it will hurt anything as long as I don't let it create a wave pool.

Reef tanks are rad as hell but they seem like a massive ballache, particularly at that scale. My only prior aquarium experience was with a goldfish in a bowl when I was three and I'm told that it was traumatic.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 12, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Anyway I'm just going to gently caress around with some fairly basic freshwater plants (not planning on CO2 unless it turns out I gots to) and some wood and rocks and poo poo and see how it goes. The 50 is probably overkill for 12 gallons of plants but you can adjust the flow so I don't imagine it will hurt anything as long as I don't let it create a wave pool.

Reef tanks are rad as hell but they seem like a massive ballache, particularly at that scale. My only prior aquarium experience was with a goldfish in a bowl when I was three and I'm told that it was traumatic.

The Aquaclear 50 is probably fine, but it may wind up still being too much for a planted tank that small even dialed all the way down. You can Jerry-rig some solutions, but save your receipt in case you need to downsize to a 30 or 20.

I’ve been running my 10gal planted/betta tank filterless for over a year, but I’m currently re-assessing that decision a bit.

WRT saltwater, I wouldn’t do a reef in that setup either (too small, too much of a PITA to maintain water and salinity parameters).

That said, I’m excited to share with you the Good News of macroalgae keeping, the hot new trend in the hobby and IMO a much less stressful way to do nano saltwater than corals.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Bonster posted:

I have a bad case of Moretank Syndrome.

I picked up a 90 gallon at a garage sale. I think I'm going to play it safe and reseal it before using it, and I'll need to build a base, but I paid 90 dollars for a tank with the light, glass covers and she threw in a canister filter for free, so I'm happy. My current fish list on angelfish, hatchetfish, tetras, cories and whiptail catfish, in a driftwood heavy tank. I'm used to working with lots of nano fish, even in my 40 gallon tanks, so I'm having a bit of a hard time thinking in terms of larger fish. If not angels, I'm considering keyhole cichlids, geophagus and acaras. Might be able to get two types of cichlids with heavy cover.

I had a distinct feelings of "yay!" followed by "what the hell am I doing" as I drove away.

Hmm, Geophagus sp red-headed tapajos would be okay with a pair of angels according to aqadvisor...

This is from a bit back, but just wanting to say, you don't HAVE to do big fish to fill a big tank. There is nothing stopping you from just doing more different nano fish in schools or just larger nano fish schools. King of DIY realized that earlier this year when his 2000 gal aquarium had the sting rays and asian arowana moved. Now it is a giant community tank that looks pretty amazing. Angels, cories, etc. He still leaned a little on the larger size as he added some cichlids as well like uaru.

As for just experience with other fish, there is nothing wrong with your choices either. Just saying not to feel married to larger fish just because you have a larger aquarium.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

This is from a bit back, but just wanting to say, you don't HAVE to do big fish to fill a big tank. There is nothing stopping you from just doing more different nano fish in schools or just larger nano fish schools. King of DIY realized that earlier this year when his 2000 gal aquarium had the sting rays and asian arowana moved. Now it is a giant community tank that looks pretty amazing. Angels, cories, etc. He still leaned a little on the larger size as he added some cichlids as well like uaru.

As for just experience with other fish, there is nothing wrong with your choices either. Just saying not to feel married to larger fish just because you have a larger aquarium.

OMG 50-90 gal tanks with BIG schools of stuff like neon tetras, etc look AMAZING.

Having the room to do a big impressive scape and give a large number of small fish the space to really move beats a large Oscar or whatever going side-to-side any day. It really is the difference between “nice tank” and “prizeworthy”.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Is a lid going to be basically mandatory or should I be fine without one? I don't want to have to try and cut something out of glass that leaves a big enough opening for the filter. I have some plexi around I think it might be too wibbly wobbly to not droop, but I guess I could get acrylic or something.

Edit: Also is there any particular reason I should bother dosing ammonia if I have no intention of adding fish in the immediate future?

Ok Comboomer posted:

That said, I’m excited to share with you the Good News of macroalgae keeping, the hot new trend in the hobby and IMO a much less stressful way to do nano saltwater than corals.

This is fascinating and bizarre. If I hadn't already ordered plants I would be mighty tempted.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 12, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

And so, it begins.

I need to get some plywood, and then I need to start drilling tanks.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey fish friends, haven't posted much in here. I hope this is the right place to go to if I have some questions:

We inherited a betta fish earlier this year from a friend and we've been doing OK so far, but we did just have a little incident, and I'm not sure if we're fully out of the kelp yet. Little context:

Day 1: We take him out to a temporary tank to clean his regular tank. We replace the water, filters, and fixtures in his tank. We treat the tank water with Stress Coat + and let it come back up to temp (78-82). After about 10 hours we put him back in his regular tank. A big mistake I think we made was not slowly transitioning him to and fro. Historically, we haven't done that and it hasn't mattered. That's clearly not best practice, so we'll be more careful moving forward.

Day 2: About midday we notice he’s at the bottom of the tank leaning on his side. He seems lethargic. He’s not coming up to the top of the tank for food either. We set up a quarantine tank with new water and treat it with QuickStart and put him in immediately. Not sure what temp the quarantine tank was, but the old tank was at 84 degrees which surprised us as his heater isn't supposed to go that high. In the quarantine tank, we give him food and PimaFix, but he continues to worsen. At the end of the day he is not eating, laying completely sideways, and it looks like he is gasping for air.

Day 3: We check on him first thing this morning and he is now upright, breathing normally, swimming around his quarantine tank. He appears to have eaten some of the food. However, his scales and fins appear paler and his belly looks swollen and almost white.

So what we're trying to sort out now is:

What is going on with him?
What did we do wrong?
What should we do next?
What can we do in the future to not have this happen again?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Chili posted:

Hey fish friends, haven't posted much in here. I hope this is the right place to go to if I have some questions:

We inherited a betta fish earlier this year from a friend and we've been doing OK so far, but we did just have a little incident, and I'm not sure if we're fully out of the kelp yet. Little context:

Day 1: We take him out to a temporary tank to clean his regular tank. We replace the water, filters, and fixtures in his tank. We treat the tank water with Stress Coat + and let it come back up to temp (78-82). After about 10 hours we put him back in his regular tank. A big mistake I think we made was not slowly transitioning him to and fro. Historically, we haven't done that and it hasn't mattered. That's clearly not best practice, so we'll be more careful moving forward.

Day 2: About midday we notice he’s at the bottom of the tank leaning on his side. He seems lethargic. He’s not coming up to the top of the tank for food either. We set up a quarantine tank with new water and treat it with QuickStart and put him in immediately. Not sure what temp the quarantine tank was, but the old tank was at 84 degrees which surprised us as his heater isn't supposed to go that high. In the quarantine tank, we give him food and PimaFix, but he continues to worsen. At the end of the day he is not eating, laying completely sideways, and it looks like he is gasping for air.

Day 3: We check on him first thing this morning and he is now upright, breathing normally, swimming around his quarantine tank. He appears to have eaten some of the food. However, his scales and fins appear paler and his belly looks swollen and almost white.

So what we're trying to sort out now is:

What is going on with him?
What did we do wrong?
What should we do next?
What can we do in the future to not have this happen again?

When you say you replaced the filters in his tank, can you elaborate? You don't want to replace the biological filter media (sponges, for example) all at once, especially at the same time you do a complete cleaning. You could wipe out enough of the beneficial bacteria to stall your cycle. Though from the sound of it this happened very quickly so probably not ammonia poisoning.

Was this a 100% water change? If so it may have have caused a big swing in water chemistry which combined with the temperature swing could result in shock.

If he's back to swimming and eating you're probably fine. Keep things normal and boring for a bit and let him recover.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 12, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Bettas love it warm, are adapted to survive at warm temperatures and I bet he got chilled in the temp tank. This means sluggish metabolism, which means that the bacteria that are always present might get a chance to attack. Possibly he's got something nasty going on in his guts, don't feed him until the swelling goes down I would say. Pimafix isn't going to help, that's pretty much for external problems only and any of the -fix style medications are bad for labyrinth fish since they can coat the organ when the betta tries to breathe at the surface. I would say just watch and wait for now, if he's swimming and no clamped fins, normal behaviour it means he at least feels okay so he might get better by himself in warmer water. Bettas are generally tough little fish and assuming he's not geriatric he has a good chance of recovering by himself. On the other hand though, if he's old, paleness is part of the aging process and I've seen a lot of my elderly fish lose their colour in the last few weeks before they died. On the flip side, bettas can have the marbling gene which means they might go white randomly at any point in their lives so that can complicate diagnosis slightly! If his swollen guts don't go down after a few days it might be worth trying some medicated food (kanaplex works well dissolved and soaked in food if you can't buy anything).

There's really no need to remove a fish while you're cleaning. Even taking out 50% of the water should leave plenty of room for the fish to be able to get out of the way. Moving to a completely different environment is stressful, probably more stressful than having a hand invading a known environment to clean it. I understand if the tank is very small and you have big hands it can be awkward but they make betta cleaning scrubbies on telescopic sticks to help with that kind of thing. For a single betta, as long as you're vigilant and not overfeeding a 25% water change once a week should be fine, which means the water going in won't necessarily chill the tank too much (or you can always get a second heater, and preheat the change water in the bucket before you put it in).

I mean there's no one right way to do things so I'm not going to tell you you've done anything drastically wrong, but you've possibly over-complicated things a bit. If your heater is low enough in the tank and horizontal, you don't even need to turn it off for water changes. I have trouble believing the entire contents of the tank are that filthy that they need to be individually removed and scrubbed, in fact that seems like overkill that might remove too much of the beneficial bacteria at once. Are you seeing brown diatoms on everything or something? You could just get a snail or some shrimp to eat that for you and again save you some effort.

I really hope your little guy pulls through but honestly it could even be that you've done nothing wrong at all and he's just towards the end of his natural lifespan. Betta in captivity can live up to 5 years, but breeding for colour, size or for fancy scales can introduce problems like blindness or a tendency to get tumors which means they don't have that same lifespan.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is it my imagination, or are there drat few options between 30 & 55 gallons? I’m trying to fill a specific space with as much tank as possible, but 30 is too small and 55 is a hair too large. I’m factoring the stand/cabinet into the equation. I posted a few weeks ago, looking for a $500 budget option, but I think that’s out of the question. I’m going to start looking in the $1000 range. Any recommendations? FWIW, the space in question is 69 inches wide by 53 tall.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Is it my imagination, or are there drat few options between 30 & 55 gallons? I’m trying to fill a specific space with as much tank as possible, but 30 is too small and 55 is a hair too large. I’m factoring the stand/cabinet into the equation. I posted a few weeks ago, looking for a $500 budget option, but I think that’s out of the question. I’m going to start looking in the $1000 range. Any recommendations? FWIW, the space in question is 69 inches wide by 53 tall.

40 gallon breeder tank worked well for me. The extra depth gave me more room for plants and decoration, it fit in a reasonably small space, and being shorter makes it easier to work in.

The downside is I had to get a 70 gallon tank less than a year later to replace it.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

JuffoWup posted:

Currently I'm leaning towards some angels and some dwarf cichlids, and a bunch of hatchetfish and shiny, mid-size tetras, a few wild-type swordtails, and either whiptail cats or cory cats. I would love cardinals or neons but I think the angels would munch on them. I'm thinking pristella tetras, dwarf rainbows or rummy-nose tetras.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Lincoln posted:

40g breeder has an 18" depth and that rocks. The extra 6" is amazing no matter what your lady might say about size not mattering.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
OK Goons, help me with this fish disease. So I have a 55 gallon freshwater with a bunch of albino yellow labs. Water changes once or twice a week, pH about 8.4, everyone's eating fine and fed 6 days a week.

About two or three months ago I noticed one of the labs had what looked like a small eye-sized red pink lesion on their shoulder area. I didn't see any particular aggression in the tank, although it appeared to be too late because she died shortly after. Then just a few days ago I saw another cichlid with the same mark up by the top of the Gill operculum. Still eating fine and sassy. But I'm not sure exactly what this is, I've not seen this at any of my other tanks with cichlids or otherwise, and since I use the same python water change system whatever it is has been spread to all the tanks. I don't think it's hole in the head, there's no bumpy lesions around or over it, no cauliflower growth that would suggest lymphocytes.

Of course I guess it could be a hole in the head to this really close to the head, but all the Google images show very severe and advanced stages, not very many beginning ones on African cichlids.

I have not seen this in my other yellow lab cichlid tank at all, or any of the other cichlids I have, so I'm really not sure what this is.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 13, 2021

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hi aquariumgoons, I would love some advice and wisdom. We committed to getting our daughter a small fish tank for her birthday. I'm currently down the rabbit hole doing research and a little overwhelmed. She is only 3 so I will be doing all of the care and maintenance. Her role will mostly be picking fish (from a curated selection) and tank ornaments.

I already bought her a Fluval Flex 9 gallon, open box for ~$75 which seems like a good deal, but I am seeing a lot of conflicting opinions online as to whether it's actually a big enough tank for keeping anything aside from some shrimp. I also wandered my local pet store today and saw some similarly sized tank kits for less $$, so I am wondering if I might be better off returning it for something else?

Any opinions on if this tank is good for a beginner? My wife is firmly against a bigger tank despite me explaining that they are actually easier to care for, so I probably can't get anything bigger than 10 gal.

Secondly, assuming that I am keeping this tank, I'd love some advice on how to stock it. I am thinking a betta plus some companion fish (a small school of tetras, a cory and a shrimp?) But am open to any and all recommendations. Even a list of "Get these exact fish" would be great, although it would be cool to have some general guidelines so I can take my daughter to the shop and let her choose from a couple options.

For context I am aware of cycling and will do so before stocking the tank. We also plan to plant the tank woth some low maintenance stuff i.e. moss balls, java fern and anubias...maybe a pothos cutting.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

OK Goons, help me with this fish disease. So I have a 55 gallon freshwater with a bunch of albino yellow labs. Water changes once or twice a week, pH about 8.4, everyone's eating fine and fed 6 days a week.

About two or three months ago I noticed one of the labs had what looked like a small eye-sized red pink lesion on their shoulder area. I didn't see any particular aggression in the tank, although it appeared to be too late because she died shortly after. Then just a few days ago I saw another cichlid with the same mark up by the top of the Gill operculum. Still eating fine and sassy. But I'm not sure exactly what this is, I've not seen this at any of my other tanks with cichlids or otherwise, and since I use the same python water change system whatever it is has been spread to all the tanks. I don't think it's hole in the head, there's no bumpy lesions around or over it, no cauliflower growth that would suggest lymphocytes.

Of course I guess it could be a hole in the head to this really close to the head, but all the Google images show very severe and advanced stages, not very many beginning ones on African cichlids.

I have not seen this in my other yellow lab cichlid tank at all, or any of the other cichlids I have, so I'm really not sure what this is.

I know you know your poo poo, so i'm pretty much at a loss as to what it could be that you couldn't have already figured out. HOWEVER I would do a half sized dose of aquarium (not marine) salt, so like 7.5g?/10g, wait a couple of days, do a 50% WC, dose the same again, then do another 50% WC 2-3 days later. You don't need to go for full "recommended" doses, just enough to disrupt the cellular osmosis of any possible bacteria or fungus. If it's viral, I just don't know. HITH with Africans can display differently and more suddenly and be worse than HITH with SA/CA's since it's not as noticeable right away.

I'm not big on dosing antibiotics in my tanks, and basically just use salt and WC's, but my tanks are also ancient and stable so I haven't really had to gently caress with medications in ages.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Hi aquariumgoons, I would love some advice and wisdom. We committed to getting our daughter a small fish tank for her birthday. I'm currently down the rabbit hole doing research and a little overwhelmed. She is only 3 so I will be doing all of the care and maintenance. Her role will mostly be picking fish (from a curated selection) and tank ornaments.

I already bought her a Fluval Flex 9 gallon, open box for ~$75 which seems like a good deal, but I am seeing a lot of conflicting opinions online as to whether it's actually a big enough tank for keeping anything aside from some shrimp. I also wandered my local pet store today and saw some similarly sized tank kits for less $$, so I am wondering if I might be better off returning it for something else?

Any opinions on if this tank is good for a beginner? My wife is firmly against a bigger tank despite me explaining that they are actually easier to care for, so I probably can't get anything bigger than 10 gal.

Secondly, assuming that I am keeping this tank, I'd love some advice on how to stock it. I am thinking a betta plus some companion fish (a small school of tetras, a cory and a shrimp?) But am open to any and all recommendations. Even a list of "Get these exact fish" would be great, although it would be cool to have some general guidelines so I can take my daughter to the shop and let her choose from a couple options.

For context I am aware of cycling and will do so before stocking the tank. We also plan to plant the tank woth some low maintenance stuff i.e. moss balls, java fern and anubias...maybe a pothos cutting.

9g is pretty good for a Betta, so long as you have a heater. Having a "school" of anything in one will be a bit much, unless you go with Nano's like Celestial Pearl Danios, Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, etc. Most Cories will be too big but there are a couple of tiny species. Sparkling Gourami are a good size and surprisingly hardy but wouldn't mix with a Betta.

You really really want the tank to be up and established for awhile before you try any of the really small nano fish though.

My planted (no heater) 10g is currently home to 5 Celestial Pearl Danios, 10 Sparkling Gourami, a tiny Siamese Algae Eater (this is just a grow-out, will not be its forever home), 7? Amano Shrimp, some Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and I assume (but lol who knows they hide all the time) 3 Chopstick Snails.

If I had that tank I would go with a Nice Nerite snail or two, a good Betta, and a couple of Amano Shrimp. Stuff that is hardy and can handle living in a new-ish tank.

It's 100% better to buy online from a quality retailer than to pick stuff up from a local place, fish stores can be VERY hit or miss, especially in terms of Betta health. I buy from this place all the time, and if you're in the US they are a great option (disclaimer: I also sell to them, so I may be biased):

https://aquaticarts.com/

Moss balls are a bit hard to find right now thanks to Zebra Mussel infestations in the supply lines. Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias nana (and other sorts), and Subwassertang are all pretty easy and hardy. Duckweed and most of the other floating plants are also good.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 13, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

It looks just like a real aquarium.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

It's 100% better to buy online from a quality retailer than to pick stuff up from a local place, fish stores can be VERY hit or miss

loving seriously. I got six neon tetras and two kuhli loaches at a local fish store a couple weeks ago, and five of the tetras have died since. They also seems to have brought some kind of contagion with them, since they all got kind of slimy and gross looking before passing, and my betta came down with fin rot that advanced super quickly. I've been treating the tank with doxycline and the betta is much more bright and animated (still looks like he lost a night with a weedwhacker, though, poort thing). At least my loaches seem happy.

Also, Desert Bus, where is my snail mail???

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

loving seriously. I got six neon tetras and two kuhli loaches at a local fish store a couple weeks ago, and five of the tetras have died since. They also seems to have brought some kind of contagion with them, since they all got kind of slimy and gross looking before passing, and my betta came down with fin rot that advanced super quickly. I've been treating the tank with doxycline and the betta is much more bright and animated (still looks like he lost a night with a weedwhacker, though, poort thing). At least my loaches seem happy.

It saddens me this is the case though. Co-worker just had a case of ich in one of his tanks. Took from a local shop here that he has had no problems with in the past. But the rams he got brought ich along and it wiped out about half the tank's population.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. Our little guy is doing great and is back in the tank!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

TBH my meds got altered and the process of doing anything and everything went to hell. I am getting back on the right track but I suspect the snail bucket I have been mostly avoiding for like weeks? months? may not contain many living and/or healthy snails. It is getting cold here so I will attempt to harvest more tomorrow morning when I turn the lights on the tanks on (when they are most easily caught) and mail them ASAP. I sincerely apologize, dealing with hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos sucks in general, and my doctors and I really really hosed up with the latest medication changes. I feel terrible about not getting snails out to y'all but have mostly been using what little motivation I have to do poo poo like eat food and kinda keep up on basic hygiene and keep the litter box clean. I tried to reduce side effects slightly and ended up causing a massive spike in both pain and fatigue, whoops!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

-snip- I feel terrible about not getting snails out to y'all but have mostly been using what little motivation I have to do poo poo like eat food and kinda keep up on basic hygiene and keep the litter box clean. -snip-
Different personal issues, but :same: feeling re; mystery snails.
They're still growing, and I really want to get as many out the door as possible. They're pigs, and have eaten all my frogbit and duckweed. I throw in piles of food, and they just gorge themselves. 1 single clutch of eggs has rapidly turned into an overstock issue.
In other news, an Apistogramma has put a huge dent in the Endler fry population!

ETA: :glomp: have patience with yourself.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

I feel terrible about not getting snails out to y'all but have mostly been using what little motivation I have to do poo poo like eat food and kinda keep up on basic hygiene and keep the litter box clean. I tried to reduce side effects slightly and ended up causing a massive spike in both pain and fatigue, whoops!

Get well soon, buddy, that's more important than snails.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A few months back I helped my brother get a bigass tank for like 150 bucks. It came with a desk that housed a sump underneath as well as some fishies. Unfortunately some stuff seemed to have gotten damaged while transporting and it took time to fix everything up but here it is.

That blue netting in the center top is covering a pipe that leads down to a sump underneath the desk, where it goes through some bioballs and then pumped back into the tank by 2 pumps. He will eventually swap these fish with these bigguns

Personally I like the other fish. They swim around a lot, these ones just sit in place and stare at you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Leal posted:

A few months back I helped my brother get a bigass tank for like 150 bucks. It came with a desk that housed a sump underneath as well as some fishies. Unfortunately some stuff seemed to have gotten damaged while transporting and it took time to fix everything up but here it is.

That blue netting in the center top is covering a pipe that leads down to a sump underneath the desk, where it goes through some bioballs and then pumped back into the tank by 2 pumps. He will eventually swap these fish with these bigguns

Personally I like the other fish. They swim around a lot, these ones just sit in place and stare at you.

flowerhorns are v smart

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Personally I would rather have a big school of little fish over a couple big fish.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I like fish who show off personalities, the Rams leave the loaches alone. But my lil' algae eating grass bros are doing a number on the algae. My rams have gotten so big and colorful! I love the little dudes and all the other buddies. I thought about keeping pea puffers, but I think he'd need at least a 10 gallon for one, or two.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think even the tiniest fish have personalities, if you get to know them. I have some cheeya rasboras that I got off my sister years ago and they school at the top level with the red tail rasboras. The red tails are quite timid but that's because the cheeya rasboras rule with an iron fist. I've been near the tank putting food down for my cats and when he thought I wasn't looking one of the dominant oldest cheeyas came over to watch what I was doing (and swam away as soon as I looked directly at him). In schooling fish it's sometimes hard to tell who's who but that doesn't mean complex social behaviour isn't happening.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I love watching my zebra danios. They're constantly investigating things and chasing each other and just generally zooming around. I have 10 in a 40 gallon and they use every inch of it. I'm sure they're gobbling up baby shrimp if they find them but they're great at leaving the adults alone, and since my shrimp population is slowly growing they're not getting all of them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Personally I would rather have a big school of little fish over a couple big fish.

:same:

When my brother swaps the fishes around I'm sure he'll be fine with me wanting to take over the other tank (I think its an 80 pound tank). I wanna get some more of these in the tank

They wiggle so much despite being so short and tubby. Little chonguses.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Welp, I can't find any of the killifish I received last week after doing a water change yesterday. Never had any problems with the two dozen black neons that have been in there for months but I guess they're more hardy. I feel terrible. And those were expensive fish since they had to be shipped. Ugh.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
what kind of killis were they? Most are horrible jumpers.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Wandering Orange posted:

Welp, I can't find any of the killifish I received last week after doing a water change yesterday. Never had any problems with the two dozen black neons that have been in there for months but I guess they're more hardy. I feel terrible. And those were expensive fish since they had to be shipped. Ugh.

I lost a mountain redbelly who jumped out a few weeks back, just a week after one of the bigger scarlet shiners jumped. I don't want a lid, so I'm going to try this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDgSNkVtA4

This is the black beard algae I'm trying to murder. Bounced back a bit over the last week, had to pull the driftwood out and wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide. Really hoping reducing the phosphates will put a stop to this stuff.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2021

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I love corydoras and its relatives. They're so sassy and fun in a group. They even 'wink' at you. In my ten gallon many years back, I had a pack of Habrosus (corydoras). I called 'em the Habrosus Bros. A shrimp once got on one and a ride across the aquarium.

I am a sucker for oddball fish. One day I want to either get the friendly puffer or pea puffers. My loaches are doing great, little reticulated ufos. I saw one just hopping from leaf to leaf.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Looks like darters are off the table so long as I have shrimp. Given my incredibly high tap water phosphate levels I might need to add a pair of siamese algae eaters to keep things under control. They actually seem very similar to the stonerollers.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Warbadger posted:

Looks like darters are off the table so long as I have shrimp. Given my incredibly high tap water phosphate levels I might need to add a pair of siamese algae eaters to keep things under control. They actually seem very similar to the stonerollers.

You need either 1 or 7+ SAE's. If they can't school and form a proper pecking order to spread the aggression they will just fight it out until you have one left. Since they can easily hit 5-6" I usually go with one.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

You need either 1 or 7+ SAE's. If they can't school and form a proper pecking order to spread the aggression they will just fight it out until you have one left. Since they can easily hit 5-6" I usually go with one.

Hmm, maybe better to go with the American Flagfish then. Anyone have any experience with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

what kind of killis were they? Most are horrible jumpers.

These are American Flagfish and that is good to know as I have an open top tank! It was a 50/50 day today as I pulled one dead fish out and I saw one live fish amongst the heavy plant cover. No obvious issues on the dead fish.

Warbadger posted:

Hmm, maybe better to go with the American Flagfish then. Anyone have any experience with them?

For the <1 week with my duo/trio so far, they did indeed go after my spirogyra algae albeit very slowly. I was recommended 3 for my 29 gallon but I think I'd need 6 or more to start making a dent if it was a serious amount of algae.