Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

We usually get our kid back to the house after day care at 5:45, takes a nap from 7-8 and then in bed between 9 and 10, then reliably sleeps until 9:30 most mornings which is when our morning calls end

That is ... One of the oddest schedules I've seen. Oh wait, yours is still quite little, no?

I feel like sleep chat is so difficult without knowing every kid's age! :-D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 17 month old wakes up at 4:30 like clockwork and 99% of the time he is chipper as hell so it makes getting up then a tiny bit easier.

Edit: sucks for my downstairs neighbors though

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Why did the 18month old throw 4 tantrums at the park today?

Because he learned that roots exist. Roots are sticks he can't pick up so he just started breaking down sobbing every time we said the word root.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We’re about to end our first real “vacation” with a toddler and oh my god I am so resentful towards any childless couple. A multi-event wedding with events that routinely end at 10:30pm are uh, not good for a 2 year old. She’s had fun staying up late but is a loving mess today after accruing so much sleep debt. It’s incredible to think about the kind of freedom I took for granted pre-child.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nachos posted:

We’re about to end our first real “vacation” with a toddler and oh my god I am so resentful towards any childless couple. A multi-event wedding with events that routinely end at 10:30pm are uh, not good for a 2 year old. She’s had fun staying up late but is a loving mess today after accruing so much sleep debt. It’s incredible to think about the kind of freedom I took for granted pre-child.

Holy gently caress how were you able to keep her awake that late? My son would have been crashing/throwing tantrums so hard that we would have probably just left.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My wife loves going on trips with our 21 month old twins and I tolerate these trips, at best. In fact we are leaving for the mountains tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it at all and I’ve let my wife know that and she’s a bit disappointed that I’m not excited like she is.

I guess being a stay at home dad doesn’t help because I see them all day every day. I need a break.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

nwin posted:

Holy gently caress how were you able to keep her awake that late? My son would have been crashing/throwing tantrums so hard that we would have probably just left.

She’s also been refusing normally scheduled naps in her pack and play so last night she just crashed at like 5pm and slept in my arms until 6. Today she passed out in my arms at 10:30am and now again at 3:30. Her sleep schedule is totally hosed when we get back. Apparently only type A parents like me care about that sort of thing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

My wife loves going on trips with our 21 month old twins and I tolerate these trips, at best. In fact we are leaving for the mountains tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it at all and I’ve let my wife know that and she’s a bit disappointed that I’m not excited like she is.

I guess being a stay at home dad doesn’t help because I see them all day every day. I need a break.

Trips suck and I hate the guilt tripping that comes along with them because you don’t enjoy them as much as someone else does. What doesn’t help is when you’ve got friends who have toddlers that handle vacations extremely well because they have zero routine at home and sleep in their parents beds every night. For 360 days a year it probably sucks but those parents sure are the envy of everyone else on those magical other 5 days.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is there such a thing as Windows Games for Toddlers? My 1.5 year old sees me working from home and when I'm done he likes to sit on my lap and mash they keyboard and shake the mouse in Youtube but that only responds to their taps and slaps 1/4 of the time and half of that quickly leads to nearly deleting a bunch of things I use.

Some thing simple where the all the keys make an on screen thing make noise or change colour. Ideally locking out the ability to exit and switch tasks etc. I've got plenty of artful gentle PC games like eufloria and Proteus, but those only respond to specific, sustained input. I think MS' Purble Place is still to complex. Already have a tablet, just looking for something to engage with them after they wail to use the keyboard for five minutes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That is ... One of the oddest schedules I've seen. Oh wait, yours is still quite little, no?

I feel like sleep chat is so difficult without knowing every kid's age! :-D

Yeah this has been her sleep schedule from about month 8 to month 12 so far

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

sullat posted:

Good choice. My kid asked me yesterday, would you rather be a space pirate in the future or a boat pirate in the past? What would your kid choose?

She is 100% a boat pirate from the past. But she also said she wants to be an astronaut, so maybe we’ll see a fusion of dreams.

She was singing “yo ho yo ho, a pirate’s life for me!” at dinner tonight. :pirate:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I agree with the consensus of small children and trips. Not going anywhere for Thanksgiving, gently caress yeah!!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Checking in with a now 3 month old. I am so very tired....

Overall shes a great kid but good lord, my house has never been messier. And she pukes ALL the time. I've never seen a baby puke so much.

Doc says its fine because shes still growing, but I'm almost more ready for the puking to end as I am diapers.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My cousin puked all the time, she was allergic to the breast milk somehow, formula was fine.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Both my kids were simultaneously puke machines and filled out into huge chubbos. Around 6 months whatever sphincter stated working and the faucet turned off seemingly overnight.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Is anyone else experiencing their kid "catching up" on the seasonal colds missed during lockdown? Our one year old started daycare in September and has had about four different colds in the last six weeks.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Luckily our daughter wasn't a puke machine but the last week, we got a new puppy and it's basically potty training two animals at once. On top of my wife left for a 4 day conference, of which the daycare was closed Thursday (holiday) and yesterday due to sickness. I'm ready to have some alone time.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

External Organs posted:

You have been through a ringer of poo poo but you've got this. I hope the birthday is fun for the ogre - 2 year olds like mud right? I say bring on the loving mud.

I appreciate the well wishes. Just getting worn out trying to balance being a dad, a husbeast, and corporate drone along with my lazy base self and realizing it mostly means that everything suffers.

We're going to be making goody bags tonight for the party. It's outside, there'll be a train ride for free. Just... eh.

External Organs posted:

I agree with the consensus of small children and trips. Not going anywhere for Thanksgiving, gently caress yeah!!

gently caress yeah indeed. My daughter was ok to travel with in the Before Times but I can't imagine sherpaing both her and her brother around.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is anyone else experiencing their kid "catching up" on the seasonal colds missed during lockdown? Our one year old started daycare in September and has had about four different colds in the last six weeks.

At this point I'm just convinced that the default state for children is a coughing snotty moody mess.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Actually yes.

This was a thing a few months ago with mass RSV infections way earlier than normal. It was in the news and everything.

Aside from that, we had our youngest in for his well visit last week and when we told the dr that he's had like 1 week of a non-runny nose in the past 2 months, the dr basically said it's an early winter this year and all the kids are sick as gently caress.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Same here. He caught RSV in his first week at daycare, then it was just general stuffiness for a few weeks, now he’s got a fever again. Time for another covid test I guess.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, after our lockdown ended in April(?) last year we had a glorious winter of no illnesses basically, kid had never been healthier. Then this winter came around again and the whole country got absolutely ravaged by RSV and every cold variation under the sun. Kid ended up with it progressing to bronchiolitis again and was on steroids twice. Suspect the second time was RSV but they weren't bothering testing most kids.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours switched from spitting up to vomiting at about the 4 month mark, and then we were able to retire the bib shortly thereafter and food went down to only coming out of one hole

That said, if you think your house is messy now, wait until they can walk around and open drawers and poo poo, pull stuff out etc and scatter it everywhere

Baby is only 12 months old but found a drowned scrunchie in the bottom of the toilet. Thankfully she's way too short to drown but I'll probably have to strap the toilet seat shut soon

Stepped on my first duplo/Lego this week

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hadlock posted:

That said, if you think your house is messy now, wait until they can walk around and open drawers and poo poo, pull stuff out etc and scatter it everywhere

As a former clean freak this has been a big adjustment. It's all I can do to keep things moderately picked up let alone actually clean. I'm optimistic that when we move to a bigger place that it'll be a bit easier as there will just be more room for baby stuff that is clogging up all the space right now.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Having to pick up Legos and rando plastic fruit has made me a cleaner and tidier person

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Tom Smykowski posted:

Having to pick up Legos and rando plastic fruit has made me a cleaner and tidier person

This. And not picking those things up increases the chance I find something truly nasty that has accidentally festered. My life gets grimier way faster, but generally I’m so much better at getting myself to clean and pick up than I was pre-kid.

Of course, any time I set the baby down in the bathroom he goes right for the toilet brush

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Kingtheninja posted:

Another 545a wakeup. His bedtime was around 7p or 650,should we try getting him to sleep a little later at night? Or does it not work that way?

Ugh, same question. We usually put our kiddo (22 months) down around 7-7:30 and he's been waking up between 4:45-5:30. We often put him down before he really seems tired, or at the first sign of crankiness; maybe we need to keep him up a little longer until we're sure he's tired? The morning isn't too bad because we're still nursing so I just take him into bed with me and let him cuddle and nurse for like an hour while I keep dozing, but we want to wean him off nursing pretty soon so we are going to need another solution for mornings. Please tell me they eventually start sleeping a little later!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Our 7.5 week old is a little puke and spit up machine. She also hasn't been growing as much as we'd like (gone from 64th percentile at birth to 7th now) so we're having fun with adding extra formula to bottles of pumped milk (or formula when we run out of milk) to try and get more calories in her. I'm also cutting out dairy to see if that helps her, so we're using a soy formula and that stuff is so gross. She seems to like it ok though.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
My children have made friends within our neighbourhood. One of their best friends, who I think is a great kid, has a brother.

I'm pretty certain that the brother has developmental disabilities. This generally isn't a concern since my son has ADHD.

The challenge is that the parents keep sending out the brother and his behaviour is frustrating my kids. They ended up having a run-in with him yesterday after trying to get back an item of theirs before coming back in the house. Derogatory words were shared by the brother and he indicated that he never wanted to speak with them again. Of course this morning the brother is calling my apartment and asking them to play again. But my kids need a break.

I ended up reaching out to the parents and letting them know about the situation. I really haven't had a chance to speak with him prior to this but let them know that my kids needed some time to chill out. And I was worried about this being a major issue but parents already called me back and mentioned that they spoke to their son. They hope that it won't impact friendships.

I'm guessing that at some point if this continues to be an issue I'll have to tell them that they no longer want to spend time with his brother. He's generally okay outside of when he gets in his moods. But his moods aren't something they should have to deal with. Any suggestions otherwise how to handle the issue?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'd like to have one Saturday where we go to a park or trampoline park or something that doesn't end with an overtired tantrum come bedtime. There were no Terrible Twos with us but the gently caress You Fives are real, and terrible sometimes.

Meanwhile a friend with a 6 year old and a 1 year old has taken to roasting his kids every time I talk to him. "[The 6 year old] claims she can play guitar, but she can't. She can't even make a chord. She needs to be taken down a peg." Dude has become the "you never surfed" meme IRL.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
18 month old was doing freman cosplay this morning with a rope of hair stuck and glued inside her nose with heavy duty snot.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

Of course, any time I set the baby down in the bathroom he goes right for the toilet brush

Had the same issue until I randomly placed a toy of his on a towel rack and now that's the major interest in the bathroom. He needs to go up to say hi to it and pick it up and then put it back and say bye.

The toilet brush finally has peace and quiet.

Edit: put my kid to sleep 30 minutes earlier than usual and he woke up 30 minutes later than usual so gently caress it who knows

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Our pediatrician said that he's been seeing an uptick, not just because more kids are interacting but because daycares are starting to loosen COVID mitigation measures. Turns out that obsessively wiping down surfaces does jack poo poo against COVID but it is extremely effective at stopping colds, and mandatory temperature checks are really good at keeping sick kids from infecting other kids.

That said even in normal times the first few months of daycare are basically continuous colds. It could be worse, if you keep your kid at home until kindergarten they still get the same six months of snot but at that age they will be really pissed about feeling crappy and are much more capable of making sure that everyone knows it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
What do you DO when the kid just won’t eat what you’re serving, and he’s pre-verbal and can’t tell you what he wants? Just let him go hungry and hope that he learns from it? I’m at my wits end, I really don’t want to get into a pattern of offering him multiple options if he doesn’t like what I’m serving 😫

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

calandryll posted:

alone time.

What is this magical thing you speak of?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I luckily missed out on dating apps but now I feel like a total dweeb on Peanut so that’s cool

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Baby is only 12 months old but found a drowned scrunchie in the bottom of the toilet. Thankfully she's way too short to drown but I'll probably have to strap the toilet seat shut soon

We put a baby gate up in the bathroom door when she started to crawl.

Pros:

1. Not have to completely babyproof the bathroom (what would you even do about the toilet brush?)
2. When alone with baby, be able to leave the door open when using the toilet and have both of a) not leaving baby alone and b) not having a baby toddling around the bathroom

Cons:
3. Have to open/close a gate in addition to the door.

It went down once she learned to respect a "NO." So, at about two years I want to say.

boquiabierta posted:

What do you DO when the kid just won’t eat what you’re serving, and he’s pre-verbal and can’t tell you what he wants? Just let him go hungry and hope that he learns from it? I’m at my wits end, I really don’t want to get into a pattern of offering him multiple options if he doesn’t like what I’m serving

I think the common advice is to let him refuse and then compensate by eating more at the next meal / snack.
Avoid offering alternatives when he refuses, since that teaches him really quickly that he calls the shots around what's for dinner.
One thing you can do is to always include one "safe" food with each meal (ie something he's eaten before).

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

boquiabierta posted:

Ugh, same question. We usually put our kiddo (22 months) down around 7-7:30 and he's been waking up between 4:45-5:30. We often put him down before he really seems tired, or at the first sign of crankiness; maybe we need to keep him up a little longer until we're sure he's tired? The morning isn't too bad because we're still nursing so I just take him into bed with me and let him cuddle and nurse for like an hour while I keep dozing, but we want to wean him off nursing pretty soon so we are going to need another solution for mornings. Please tell me they eventually start sleeping a little later!

Ours started sleeping more at night around the time we took her down from two naps to one - that would have been a lot earlier than 22 months though.

How long does he nap? Try shortening it. The trick is to find the right time for waking him. Most kids have a pretty fixed cadence, ours did 35 minute intervals of lighter sleep. As in, she either woke up after 35 minutes, 70, etc. We found that at two years old, 70 minutes was optimal for a happy kid in the afternoon who still would go to bed normally at night. Try waking her at 45, though, and you had to deal with a bleary-eyed grumpy toddler for at least an hour before she was fully awake.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think the common advice is to let him refuse and then compensate by eating more at the next meal / snack.
Avoid offering alternatives when he refuses, since that teaches him really quickly that he calls the shots around what's for dinner.
One thing you can do is to always include one "safe" food with each meal (ie something he's eaten before).

Yeah that's how we're handling it. Some meals he just isn't hungry, other meals we have to make him extra food because he's finished everything and still going.

The advice I've seen is that this is common for toddlers and is only a concern if it goes on for multiple days.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

What is this magical thing you speak of?

I'll let you know in 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BadSamaritan posted:

This. And not picking those things up increases the chance I find something truly nasty that has accidentally festered. My life gets grimier way faster, but generally I’m so much better at getting myself to clean and pick up than I was pre-kid.

Yeah my house was always a disaster, but because it was always dry disaster, like paper mail on the floor, etc

Found some half decomposed banana.... remnants crushed into the carpet, and now we have rules about what, when and where baby can be fed

Wife is going through a thing right now so I went from about 65% cleanup duty to.... 120% cleanup duty because she's letting Hadlock Jr get into everything, and then just letting her run wild and everything goes everywhere

Took a nap earlier and woke up to find baby had pulled toilet paper roll out the bathroom and down the hall :shrug: