Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My mother-in-law, 59, was turned away at a scheduled booster appointment on Wednesday since she didn't meet the age (65+) criteria, even though she works in a factory with a high unvaccinated population. We rescheduled her for a Friday appointment which went by just fine.

Mentioning this as I asked a couple of weeks ago about pharmacists enforcing eligibility criteria (beyond the six months since second shot requirement, which she met) and apparently there's still pharmacists that are gatekeeping despite the intentionally inclusive CDC guidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's the thing, they're not enforcing the criteria. They're making up their own.

They should be just as afraid of turning away eligible people as they are giving shots to the ineligible (which is a vanishingly rare population at this point).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think one of the worst parts of the pandemic is that tons of people have gotten sick or died because someone else forced them to do something unsafe or exposed them through arrogant negligence and there will never be any justice. The gate keeping boosters is just another extension of that. There’s no accountability anywhere and a million people are dead.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Booster hurts. Got it 530 last night. Feel fevered and weak
Vertigo etc. Slept 3 hrs mid day

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

to anyone that wants to say im just asking questions about how it cant be true that unvaccinated arent the majority of icu admits for covid I have a story (its also immuno compromised who have very low vaccine response because of the effects of steroids(gently caress those people are just sad and it hurts because they try and are scared as poo poo) )

If you get covid, dont deny that its real and swear up and down its the cold. Then dont do anything recommended by your physician. as symptoms go to the ER and get admitted for covid in the icu due to the fact that your lungs already show massive consolidation (this is basically the worst outcome) and proceed to demand ivermectin, cipro, and everything else on the facebook wagon while refusing any and all provider orders and testing because in your words "you people dont know anything none of that will cure this. Do what I tell you and no im not taking any of the steroids or letting you give me heparin or insulin im not diabetic (glucose of 400)" Do this for 3 days even when the doctor says youll be dead by the weekend.

On friday as you are about to be put on 100% bibap then start allowing us and listen as the doctor tells you "to late gently caress head" in medical terms. Oh and also keep taking off your bipap and airvo because you need to talk on the phone that we are killing you (as your sats drop to the 60s and 50s each time)

dead by midnight at 52, wife sick with covid because of course so she couldnt even say goodbye.

HOWS YOUR WEEKEND GOING

Can you translate this into English?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

My husband and I got boosters on Thursday, and I got a flu shot at the same time; man that was a mistake. My husband was perfectly fine (aside from a sore arm) and I had some pretty severe fatigue Thursday evening and all day Friday. It was rough, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the symptoms from the second shot.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Super Librarian posted:

My husband and I got boosters on Thursday, and I got a flu shot at the same time; man that was a mistake. My husband was perfectly fine (aside from a sore arm) and I had some pretty severe fatigue Thursday evening and all day Friday. It was rough, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the symptoms from the second shot.

Definitely less than second shot I had vetigo for a full day and a half on that one

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Can you translate this into English?

UCS Hellmaker is a paramedic or something, they had a patient this week that insisted covid was fake, refused real medicines like steroids to manage inflammation, demanded fake covid cures like ivermectin, patient eventually started listening to the doctor only when he was at death's dorr, even then was poor at compliance, and eventually died.

The story was told in a wry manner, sarcastically presenting all the patient's dumbass nonsense as "advice" to the audience for how to die of covid.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That basically. It's been a great loving hell week in the icu.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...the%20virus.%22

COVID forever confirmed. We need to adopt new morality to deal with this, anti individualism recycle based

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Vasukhani posted:

COVID forever confirmed. We need to adopt new morality to deal with this, anti individualism recycle based

I'm not going to lie, I mistakenly saw goatse in that link and clicked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good, we have way too many deer right now

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dutch government orders three-week partial lockdown amid COVID surge

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-13/dutch-government-orders-partial-lockdown-amid-covid-surge/100618200

The Netherlands has an 85% vaxx rate. Not feeling particularly confident about how winter plays out in the northern hemisphere, and if winter lockdowns end up becoming the norm, maybe here in Australia it's time for us to give border closures and COVID-zero another chance.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

85% of 18+, 75% all population, but yes a lot. It will be interesting to see what happens to their hospitalization rate and whether all these new cases are more mild or not (Their new case rate is also probably a big undercount because their positivity rate is 20%+)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

UCS Hellmaker posted:

to anyone that wants to say im just asking questions about how it cant be true that unvaccinated arent the majority of icu admits for covid I have a story (its also immuno compromised who have very low vaccine response because of the effects of steroids(gently caress those people are just sad and it hurts because they try and are scared as poo poo) )

If you get covid, dont deny that its real and swear up and down its the cold. Then dont do anything recommended by your physician. as symptoms go to the ER and get admitted for covid in the icu due to the fact that your lungs already show massive consolidation (this is basically the worst outcome) and proceed to demand ivermectin, cipro, and everything else on the facebook wagon while refusing any and all provider orders and testing because in your words "you people dont know anything none of that will cure this. Do what I tell you and no im not taking any of the steroids or letting you give me heparin or insulin im not diabetic (glucose of 400)" Do this for 3 days even when the doctor says youll be dead by the weekend.

On friday as you are about to be put on 100% bibap then start allowing us and listen as the doctor tells you "to late gently caress head" in medical terms. Oh and also keep taking off your bipap and airvo because you need to talk on the phone that we are killing you (as your sats drop to the 60s and 50s each time)

dead by midnight at 52, wife sick with covid because of course so she couldnt even say goodbye.

HOWS YOUR WEEKEND GOING

Cipro? Is that a new thing? They put me on that once when I was exposed to antibiotic resistant TB and I didn't poo poo right for a month.

It also made me tremendously weepy and I would burst into tears at the dumbest poo poo like insurance commercials or seeing a particularly cute animal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cipro? Is that a new thing? They put me on that once when I was exposed to antibiotic resistant TB and I didn't poo poo right for a month.

It also made me tremendously weepy and I would burst into tears at the dumbest poo poo like insurance commercials or seeing a particularly cute animal.

Alex Jones was talking about it right at the start of the pandemic after one of his guests (I *think* Steve Pieczenik - it's certainly his flavour of bullshit) claimed to have cured himself with cipro and zinc when he was the first person in the US to catch it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

73% of the population fully vaxxed, with 65% having their second dose >3 months ago. So not really surprising.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Austria has a higher back rate than the US and their cases are skyrocketing at the moment. It’s very bad.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

haveblue posted:

Good, we have way too many deer right now

Yeah except the article says the deer don't appear to get sick, they are just vectors who carry it to potentially circulate it back to humans. And maybe livestock.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

sheri posted:

Yeah except the article says the deer don't appear to get sick, they are just vectors who carry it to potentially circulate it back to humans. And maybe livestock.

I'd wager the chance to get infected by an asymptomatic deer is insignificant, compared to the antivaxer sitting next to you on a bus. Besides hunters and the occasional farmer shooing them away, people aren't really within infection ranges of deer. Sure, that makes it harder to do an absolute extermination of the disease, but we are far from the point where that would be a relevant concern.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Mainland Europe is just following the UK's trajectory, but with a 3 month delay.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'd wager the chance to get infected by an asymptomatic deer is insignificant, compared to the antivaxer sitting next to you on a bus. Besides hunters and the occasional farmer shooing them away, people aren't really within infection ranges of deer. Sure, that makes it harder to do an absolute extermination of the disease, but we are far from the point where that would be a relevant concern.

The issue isn't that deer will infect individuals. It means the presence in deer will mean we will never not have outbreaks of new COVID variants.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

redbrouw posted:

I'm not going to lie, I mistakenly saw goatse in that link and clicked.

Yeeeeeah, whoever chose "Goats and Soda" as the title of their column hasn't been on the internet long enough.

(or maybe they've been on too long, who knows)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

I mean yes, Covid will become endemic and never go away, as many experts have been saying since February, if not earlier.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Shame almost everywhere gave up on zero COVID, most places almost immediately

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Slow News Day posted:

I mean yes, Covid will become endemic and never go away, as many experts have been saying since February, if not earlier.

Endemic covid means that we have to do social distancing, mask wearing, and have pandemic restrictions forever. It doesn’t mean we get to do what we are doing now and pretend like it is 2019.

Also: other endemic diseases have been eradicated. Endemic does not mean it is impossible to eradicate.

Interesting thought: endemic has a different meaning in zoology than it does in virology apparently. Endemic in zoology means “native to that area,” so an endemic plant is one that has lived there long before human contact and was not brought there through human interaction. A species that is adept at virulently spreading in a new area, often with deleterious outcomes, is called “invasive”.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Stereotype posted:

It doesn’t mean we get to do what we are doing now and pretend like it is 2019.

that's absolutely what we're going to do, because that's what capitalism has demanded.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 14, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 14, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

UCS Hellmaker posted:

HOWS YOUR WEEKEND GOING

Is there a point where you just kind of shrug and mentally check-out of caring about people like this? Just as an emotional self-defense mechanism?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

How are u posted:

Is there a point where you just kind of shrug and mentally check-out of caring about people like this? Just as an emotional self-defense mechanism?

That's kinda where I'm at. I don't know how some of you still do it. I just close off toxic fucks like this out of my life and it's only improved for it. Every time.

It's hard feeling bad about the death of the hateful and selfish. I don't think it makes anyone a better person for including such people in their lives. Just means they have a high threshold for abuse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
One term for the concept is "compassion fatigue", but there are a couple competing frameworks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Stereotype posted:

Endemic covid means that we have to do social distancing, mask wearing, and have pandemic restrictions forever. It doesn’t mean we get to do what we are doing now and pretend like it is 2019.
I have bad news for you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd imagine the deer transmission chain would be deer to cat to people. Maybe birds too?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm no veterinarian but I haven't come across anything about SARS-CoV-2 outside of mammals. So idk about birds.

edit: it's certainly not impossible but you're getting into the question of how well SARS-CoV-2 binds to ACE2 in various species. We have evidence for a broad range of mammalian hosts.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 14, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Deviant posted:

that's absolutely what we're going to do, because that's what capitalism has demanded.

Capitalism obviously played its part in exacerbating the pandemic last year and undercutting public health measures, but a return to some kind of normalcy is also what ordinary people's tolerance and patience is demanding.

If high vaccination rates result in, say, COVID only having four or five times the annual death rate of a typical flu season, society is going to find that well within acceptable parameters. As long as the vast majority of people can shrug it off as a cold and the hospitals aren't overloaded, then after two years they're going to want to go back to doing the stuff that makes life worth living, and that has nothing to do with "capitalism."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

Capitalism obviously played its part in exacerbating the pandemic last year and undercutting public health measures, but a return to some kind of normalcy is also what ordinary people's tolerance and patience is demanding.

If high vaccination rates result in, say, COVID only having four or five times the annual death rate of a typical flu season, society is going to find that well within acceptable parameters. As long as the vast majority of people can shrug it off as a cold and the hospitals aren't overloaded, then after two years they're going to want to go back to doing the stuff that makes life worth living, and that has nothing to do with "capitalism."
I’m sorry, but this is silly—just ignoring the forest for the trees.

It is less “I gotta live my life!!” and far more cynical resignation to the fact that capitalism has thoroughly removed all levers for collective action that society and/or the government can pull. In societies where such levers exist and can be used, they are used and people support them. We’ve seen that in Australia and in New Zealand, and we’ve seen it used in countries like Norway and South Korea that have substantially lower case and death rates than other Western capitalist countries.

Capitalism—with its’ atomization of individuals and destruction of public institutions, nevermind the thirst for profits despite the cost of human life—is primarily to blame for the current crisis and why people view this pandemic as “endemic”/unstoppable.

e: shooting from the hip, but I’d say case and death rates are pretty much directly correlated with the degree to which a country has destroyed/preserved public life and capacity for collective action, along with other obvious variables like geographical advantage.

Gio fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 15, 2021

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

What I wonder about is if we accept that covid is just gonna be around forever killing people what happens the next time we get a global pandemic because of something else

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Booourns posted:

What I wonder about is if we accept that covid is just gonna be around forever killing people what happens the next time we get a global pandemic because of something else

Probably something very similar to what has happened over the past 2 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gio posted:

I’m sorry, but this is silly—just ignoring the forest for the trees.

It is less “I gotta live my life!!” and far more cynical resignation to the fact that capitalism has thoroughly removed all levers for collective action that society and/or the government can pull. In societies where such levers exist and can be used, they are used and people support them. We’ve seen that in Australia and in New Zealand, and we’ve seen it used in countries like Norway and South Korea that have substantially lower case and death rates than other Western capitalist countries.

We've also seen Australia and New Zealand abandon elimination policies in part because people's tolerance for the strict measures necessary to achieve them has been exhausted. Your point about turbo-capitalist countries like the US having directly worse outcomes is of course true, but ordinary people aren't going to "pretend it's 2019" because they want number to go up, they're going to pretend it's 2019 because life was a lot better back then. (And yes I realise that plenty of Americans have been pretending it's 2019 since about May 2020.)