Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Remember that diorama you "made" in fourth grade for a report on the Panama canal that was made out of foam board and modeling plaster and there's no way you could have done that yourself but your parent(s) spent an entire evening "helping" (read: doing it for) you?

It's like that except with more tax fraud.

See also: those pinewood derby cars that are supposedly made by children but are actually made by dads trying to dunk on other dads.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Gamepass is 1$ for 3 months. They give you a 90% discount on the first month and then award you two free additional months.

Time to find out if mechwarrior 5 makes me feel 10 again.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have my SSD suspended / secured in a bundle of power cables because putting them anywhere else would require me to redo the cables and I can't be arsed

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spunkshui posted:

Gamepass is 1$ for 3 months. They give you a 90% discount on the first month and then award you two free additional months.

Time to find out if mechwarrior 5 makes me feel 10 again.

Mechs can punch in the newest update. It's rad.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Truga posted:

idk about microsoft, but sony's situation is dire enough that they're seeing a bunch of long time playstation owners buying their games on steam now

and this in japan where pc gaming is insanely niche lmao
e: https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1458776032870375427
Even though it was probably to drive hype for their sequels, PlayStation making PC ports of all their biggest franchises looks like one of the smartest decisions they made. (Hiring awful developers to do the ports, not so much.)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's some broader trend in japan where the Switch and other (Nintendo) portable consoles have been outselling full-fat consoles

the Switch's been outselling the PS4 by some ridiculous margin for the longest time now

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The PS5 was doomed in Japan from the moment they switched the X and O buttons.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Alright. For my 3090FE repad, I have:
3x Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x1.5mm
Thermal paste
q-tips
torx screwdriver set
clean well lit work surface
duct tape, electrical tape
3.5x magnification jeweler's goggles because of my old man eyes
precision tweezer set

I should be good, right? Watching more videos, I love the timelapse ones that make this feel like a 5 minute job when I know it's gonna be 2 hours of stress, but such is life

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

there's some broader trend in japan where the Switch and other (Nintendo) portable consoles have been outselling full-fat consoles

the Switch's been outselling the PS4 by some ridiculous margin for the longest time now

I think a lot of people that grew up with consuls now would rather have a gaming rig.

They can afford to spend more than the cost of a consul and they are unable to have their friends come over and sit on the couch very often.

The switch is ideal for keeping your kids off the Tv.

Also twitch streamers are primarily playing PC games.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

spunkshui posted:

They can afford to spend more than the cost of a consul and they are unable to have their friends come over and sit on the couch very often.

even when I can, PC -> 1000mbit LAN -> shield TV == totally fine basically zero latency gaming from my PC to the 12' screen in the living room using Shield TV controllers.

works better for many switch games than an actual switch does :laugh:

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Thermal paste
q-tips
torx screwdriver set
precision tweezer set

I should be good, right? Watching more videos, I love the timelapse ones that make this feel like a 5 minute job when I know it's gonna be 2 hours of stress, but such is life

Might be a good idea to spend a few bucks on an ESD wrist strap and learn how to properly ground yourself before performing surgery on your GPU.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

lol I love that this guy obviously has no loving clue what he's doing either, just riding the train of a $350k salary and an out of control housing market

quote:

He’s also learned some expensive lessons along the way. Mehta purchased a duplex in January 2020 and planned to flip it into a single-family home, but local housing ordinances prohibited that. He estimates he lost tens of thousands of dollars before renting out that property on Airbnb, and now makes sure to do his research before buying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Thermal paste
q-tips
torx screwdriver set
precision tweezer set

The hardest part by far will be taking it apart. I think there's over 20 different screws holding it together with several different types you have to keep track of. Looks like you're pretty well prepared, though.

An ESD wrist strap is a good idea, but if you don't live in a high static environment and you can regularly ground yourself through other means (keep a grounded object nearby), then it's not strictly necessary.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

mA posted:

Might be a good idea to spend a few bucks on an ESD wrist strap and learn how to properly ground yourself before performing surgery on your GPU.

Heh, I may or may not have an actual wrist strap kicking around but I always rig something up out of sheer paranoia. Alligator clip from a PC case to a tinfoil bracelet sort of thing.

I watched a couple more videos and I am not that stressed about this. Of course I could gently caress something up terribly in a momentary muscle spasm or something but mostly I'm just feeling annoyed that a $50 thermal mod is necessary for a $1500 electronics component that's been in production for a year plus.

I am trying to figure out if the PNY 3080 is just the reference footprint and I can do everything from behind the backplate without taking the board out, that part is going to be some tedious obnoxious poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 15, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
GN says we're getting new 12GB RTX 2060s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKzmdMuqimQ

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

GN says we're getting new 12GB RTX 2060s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKzmdMuqimQ

:eyepop:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Steve is knocking that card, but moving the entry level to 12GB is good for users (you won’t have problems early like you would with 6GB cards) and good for Nvidia (make the standard accepted minimum 12GB and those 1060s/1070s out there that people are huddled around look inadequate that much faster.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also apparently dram prices are expected to start falling soon, because of oversupply.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-11-15-nvidia-ceo-expects-global-chip-shortage-to-last-into-next-year

quote:

Nvidia CEO expects global chip shortage to last into next year
Jensen Huang thinks “demand is going to far exceed supply” amidst ongoing GPU production constraints

Speaking to Yahoo, Huang said that he expects "demand to far exceed supply" through to 2022, particularly the demand for graphics cards.

Nvidia released its latest line of 30 series cards in October last year, and has experienced shortages since then.

"We don't have any magic bullets in navigating the supply chain," Huang said. "We have the support of our suppliers. We're fortunate that we're multi-sourced and that our supply chain is diverse and our company is quite large so we have the support of a large ecosystem around us."

good luck to anyone still on the hunt

wonder how this affects the launch of the next gen of cards

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

At this point should I just wait for the 40 series? Like for instance isn’t the typical price of a 3080Ti more like 1099$ instead of 1425$?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

At this point should I just wait for the 40 series? Like for instance isn’t the typical price of a 3080Ti more like 1099$ instead of 1425$?

The 2000 series costs more now than it did at the end of it's life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If the 40 series does come out next year it will 100% be more expensive than the 30 series.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If Nvidia goes back to TSMC for the 4000 series then availability could be even worse

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I had to win the right to buy a 3080 Ti at 1400

its now 2200 on amazon

https://www.joinhoney.com/shop/amazon/p/1_1450d5ed31e0ab174c87bc975e4546da_1450d5ed31e0ab174c87bc975e4546da

Price trends are going the wrong direction currently with crypto being super high and gamming being a popular cold weather activity in much of the world.

Sorry :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is crypto still the big reason why there's a shortage or is there more to it? i remember in 2018 that crypto singlehandedly jacked GPU prices for a bit so even without covid I wonder if we would still be in the same predicament with magic bean number always going up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just get whatever you can afford now. Waiting for a card in 2021/2022 is a fools errand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

is crypto still the big reason why there's a shortage or is there more to it? i remember in 2018 that crypto singlehandedly jacked GPU prices for a bit so even without covid I wonder if we would still be in the same predicament with magic bean number always going up

Crypto + Chip Shortage/Shipping issues in general + Higher demand overall. Each piece is doing their part.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's mostly crypto at this point imo. it is also a bunch of things mentioned and at launch it was also bonkers demand from covid redirecting money to other things and very low target (lol) prices. but this level of insane sustained demand and willingness to stomach insane pricing is because people use them as money printing machines.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

redeyes posted:

This is going to fall flat on its rear end but money isn't everything. Life is really short. Make as much of it as you can.

Boy, wait until you need surgery!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Sorry your healthcare system is as hosed up as the gpu market. I really hope both improve soon.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not all of us live in noted third-world-shithole USA.
You may find that in virtually every other developed nation, healthcare is free.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

for an FE sure

and you're still off by 100

before tax

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Geemer posted:

Sorry your healthcare system is as hosed up as the gpu market. I really hope both improve soon.

The US is going to see civil war before it will see the healthcare system measurably improve.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i got a new job in april that sucked up a lot of my forums time (aka we're in office a lot and i can't sit on the forums) and i know this is not adding anything to the discussion but i can't believe the situation is worse than ever :negative:

My gaming PC died in July & was reporting "VGA" light on the motherboard, then my mom had to move in with us & then we all moved to a bigger place so I just turned it off and cried.

Luckily it was a physically damaged SATA connector on my boot drive that was causing the machine not to POST & throw all sorts of wacky errors. :woop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NVIDIA Image Scaling goes open source, NIS now available to all games

quote:

The company is open-sourcing its Image Scaling technology, which has been present in the drivers for years. Today, however, the company is making them much easier to use.

The NIS will now work with all games and possibly all GPUs on the market. This is obviously a direct response to AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution which is now broadly available thanks to the technology being open to all developers and relatively easy to implement.

I didn't realize this was an existing feature. Maybe not for the 970?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think it's the scaler they introduced with Turing

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They also updated it and are getting all huffy saying "hey guys, we've been doing this all along!" A driver-level implementation isn't as good as a software version that developers can integrate into games, though. You ideally want to render the UI at native resolution still instead of upscaling that too.

The verge has an article that shows a few comparisons between fsr, the new image scaler version, and dlss: https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/16/22784404/nvidia-icat-dlss-spatial-temporal-upscaling-graphics

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Wasn't Nvidia's original spatial scaler just a Lanzcos upscaler?

Seems like a better image upscaler tied more directly with DSR that also lets developers enable it in-game instead of all the fiddliness.

At least exposing it through API means the average person might get some use out of it, but I always wince a little bit when devs let users mess with the sharpness slider, because no way that ends well.

One objectively good thing I see out of this is Capcom hopefully supporting it since they don't do DLSS 2.x and Nvidia RTX.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They also updated it and are getting all huffy saying "hey guys, we've been doing this all along!" A driver-level implementation isn't as good as a software version that developers can integrate into games, though. You ideally want to render the UI at native resolution still instead of upscaling that too.

Yeah being able to plumb it into the engine is a big plus over driver level scaling

The new NIS SDK looks broadly similar to FSR, it's permissive open source and runs on whatever GPU

Maybe there's some slightly different quality trade-offs but generally it's going to have similar flaws to FSR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just noticed that nvidia drivers are closing in on a full gigabyte, the new one today is 832mb

what are they hiding in there, that's bigger than the entire windows xp installer was