Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I desperately want something as bad as 81.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Basic Chunnel posted:

it's gnarly, here's a teaser clip they posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH-Bal-Zp4

They did an extended trailer too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289RomnoZsQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The White Vault's new season has started, and it sounds like someone told Kasner's V.A. to calm down.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Samovar posted:

The White Vault's new season has started, and it sounds like someone told Kasner's V.A. to calm down.

After setting up a really interesting premise in season one and then doing nothing interesting with it for three seasons, I am hopeful they can bring this one in for a safe landing, but I'm not optimistic.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Anyone following Rabbits Season 2 via Stitcher or whatever service that’s on?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's been a long time since I've listened to the early Amelia Archives episodes. Does anyone know what the transphobic trope in episode 1 was that caused them to pull it down? Apparently it's going to be reworked and reposted but I don't know when it was pulled originally

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Len posted:

It's been a long time since I've listened to the early Amelia Archives episodes. Does anyone know what the transphobic trope in episode 1 was that caused them to pull it down? Apparently it's going to be reworked and reposted but I don't know when it was pulled originally

if you're talking Amelia Project, the episode ends with the client saying she wants her new life to be as a man, not for any kind of gender affirmation reasons, but purely so she can seduce her husband's new wife. It's played for comedy but it feels kind of weird when set against the fact that aside from that the creators/show have for the most part been really positive/supportive, so I imagine it's a case of really early writing that just aged terribly/they didn't realize how it came across at the time (esp if they're rewriting it to cut that out)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mix. posted:

if you're talking Amelia Project, the episode ends with the client saying she wants her new life to be as a man, not for any kind of gender affirmation reasons, but purely so she can seduce her husband's new wife. It's played for comedy but it feels kind of weird when set against the fact that aside from that the creators/show have for the most part been really positive/supportive, so I imagine it's a case of really early writing that just aged terribly/they didn't realize how it came across at the time (esp if they're rewriting it to cut that out)

Yeah I don't know where I got Archives from I definitely meant Project. They didnt replace it with any sort of message so I thought my podcast app was just acting up and ended up on this page that had the message about it being taken down at the creators request

https://radiodramarevival.com/the-amelia-project/

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The number of ads they've put into the backlog of Magnus episodes is loving off the chain. I counted 4 before they started reading patreon subscribers.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Arrhythmia posted:

The number of ads they've put into the backlog of Magnus episodes is loving off the chain. I counted 4 before they started reading patreon subscribers.
Too right.

One of these ads got me to listen to the trailer and part of the first episode of The Town Whispers. The narrator makes the classic amateur mistake of thinking he has to enunciate every line like he's casting a dire curse on the fools who meddled with his great work. It's not spooky, it's embarrassing. I noticed a bit of the same with the writing. Too florid, not every noun needs to be modified with an adjective or adverb.

Does anyone know if it gets better? Should I give it another chance?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

I wonder if that's from Jonny dipping out of the podcast world.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Partially an enticement to the Patreon, I imagine. They started with ads like a season or so before the end of Magnus but if you were listening on the subscriber feed you didn't get them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Also I guess they're basically mothballing the magnus feed now and adding no new content so they probably figure they may as well throw more ads in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

I wonder if that's from Jonny dipping out of the podcast world.

It's such a shame, but I understand after 5 years.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nobody who does creative work goes into podcasts like “this is my life’s work”

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Also I guess they're basically mothballing the magnus feed now and adding no new content so they probably figure they may as well throw more ads in.

I have a hard time blaming any creator for doing something like this. It's hard enough to make a living doing creative stuff, and if this helps them do that and/or put out new creative stuff, that's good in my book.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

loving a wrong thread

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 14, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

As a podcast idea, I kinda like it. Have you pitched it to any networks yet?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Azathoth posted:

As a podcast idea, I kinda like it. Have you pitched it to any networks yet?

Well it is reddit serialized fiction so...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

loving a wrong thread

please don't gently caress this thread

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Silt Verses was dope. Just caught up and it's just phenomenal.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

They did this to "I am in Eskew" when I wasn't looking, really takes me out of the whole thing now. :/

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Stitcher is having issues. What app are y'all using?

I'm on android and listen between 1.7 and 2.5x so playback speed control is a must.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Podcast Addict, but idk how fine grained its playback speed is.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I use Pocket Casts; the desktop version seems to let you do incremental speeds so you could easily do within that threshold, but I'm not sure if the mobile app has a similar ability.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

Podcast Addict, but idk how fine grained its playback speed is.

Podcast Addict for me as well, and the speed controls go from 0.4x to 5.0x and can be adjusted in increments of 0.1x through that range via a slider. It remembers playback speed on a per podcast basis, if that matters.

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

I've been going down this Reddit list which tallied votes for the best audio dramas as of 2021. I was beginning to lose hope of finding a decent listen that I didn't already know, but then I discovered Malevolent and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites, right up there with Magnus Archives. It has a neat gimmick that requires the narration of what the protagonist is seeing, which is helpful as a listener and gives it a bit of a DnD feel, which might not be a mistake as the makers, Invictus Stream, seem to have some sort of RPG gaming focus. Another interesting angle is that they have their Patreons choose what will happen every ~10 minutes or so each week and the cumulative, seamless 45 minute episode is published to non-patrons monthly. But at any rate, I enjoy the story and characters and it's one of the few horror podcasts that has managed to develop a good sense of suspense, thrill and even occasionally surprise/scare me.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

KillerQueen posted:

They did this to "I am in Eskew" when I wasn't looking, really takes me out of the whole thing now. :/

Did they at least fix the sound levels in early Magnus?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://youtu.be/ibxKEqxARkE

I want it to be good so that they can go onto the real weird stuff. But it won't

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
https://twitter.com/alexyquest/status/1475955644356345861

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Len posted:

I want it to be good so that they can go onto the real weird stuff. But it won't

Holy poo poo. I did not see that coming. It doesn't bode well that the only other time I've seen that actor was in a failed show that didn't last a full season, but I'll definitely resubscribe to Netflix to check it out.

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

10thAvenue posted:

I've been going down this Reddit list

I've found an even better one - Dust. I took the advice of the Podcast notes and started with Season 3, which is a standalone story. It felt a bit like a cross between the book series Bobiverse and The Expanse. I was amazed such writing talent chose a podcast for its medium, but turns out the writing has an even more surprising backstory. The season is like a really good audiobook - excellent production, Hollywood voice actors (also mentioned in the link), and a great sci fi story.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Len posted:

Cautiously optimistic, though even if it's good I doubt they go off to the weird universe for season 2 as cool as that could be. That said, podcast season 3's story could be good as a tv show.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tweak posted:

Cautiously optimistic, though even if it's good I doubt they go off to the weird universe for season 2 as cool as that could be. That said, podcast season 3's story could be good as a tv show.

I'm cautiously optimistic from that trailer as well. I could see hints of the real weird poo poo that made seasons 2 and 3 so good.

My hope is that they actually condense a lot of season 1 of the podcast and bring some of the weirdness out faster, which that trailer seems to suggest they're doing.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Do we know how much control (is it mark?) the creator has on the show?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

They've not said anything publicly beyond some puff piece interviews a while back.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm12021690/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr6

Listed as a producer on it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Hopefully better than Limehouse.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Cautiously optimistic then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Trailer gives me good vibes, in that it's got magic and fucky visuals and body horror, which is what made the later seasons of the podcast so good. Plus the casting seems really, really good.