Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blackhawk posted:

Ahahhhahah why are they pretending that even more than 1% of these will ever go off-road for longer than it takes to test it out the week after somebody bought it? Nobody buys this poo poo to go off road, just like the billion other gigantic trucks and SUV's rolling around to the shops or work filled with fast food bags and children.

Because it really really appeals to the demographic they're targeting which is deeply insecure white yuppy suburbans who fantasize about this sort of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lil poopendorfer posted:

yes, and you can watch them die in real time

yeah gimme a big screen, im safe in a car this big no need to keep my eyes on the road

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i was driving home today and at a light pulled up beside a really old pickup truck, i really couldnt believe my eyes because it was no taller than my little car. unbelievable how bloated and lovely trucks are lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It doesn't help that english speaking countries have crazy high construction costs for public transport compared to other developed countries. private sector and construction consultancies have proven themselves unable to innovate anything other than new ways to suckle from the public teat

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is the biggest issue in Toronto as well, every incoming government completely scraps the outgoing government's plans and starts anew because they want to be the ones who Did The Thing, and then they get a quarter of the way through the process before being ousted and it all starts over again.

the complaints by locals about trains increasing car pollution or whatever always seem more urgent, and they rapidly give in to crazy expensive engineering solutions. just complete capture of the political process by special interest groups rather than there being any pretension to provide a high quality public service (outside of a few civil servants (except in NYC where the good ones get driven out))

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

God Hole posted:

https://twitter.com/siropsalot/status/1458882991795675147?s=21

nothing means anything. car culture is built upon a foundation of sand

I think if you operate your horse at 15HP then it will die pretty quick. If you want to keep using your horse for a while then you need to limit it to 1HP.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

God Hole posted:

With Advertisers and Engineers powers combine they made something loving confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xym2XNezZ-w

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blackhawk posted:

Ahahhhahah why are they pretending that even more than 1% of these will ever go off-road for longer than it takes to test it out the week after somebody bought it? Nobody buys this poo poo to go off road, just like the billion other gigantic trucks and SUV's rolling around to the shops or work filled with fast food bags and children.

I remember reading somewhere that the rate of road surface damage goes up proportional to the weight of the vehicle to the fourth power, so uhhh yeah good luck with keeping the roads in usable condition once everyone transitions to EV trucks and SUVs that weigh twice as much as they already do. Also vehicle taxation/registration an licensing fees should absolutely scale by the mass of the vehicle to offset the disproportional amount of damage larger vehicles do to the road.
This is correct. when we do pavement design we use an Equivalent Single Axle Load for design life based on usage and then sum up the expected use of equivalent loads.

This is typically compared to a 18,000 lb single axle, so like typical weight of a 1,000 lb-loaded single axle is (1000/18000)^4 = 9.5E-6 load equivalency, a 8000lb hummev would have 4000/18000^4 = 0.002 load equivalency, or in relative terms, a hummev is 256x more damaging than a 2000-lb smallcar

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ya the thing to keep in mind with roads is that normal cars are like, a rounding error of a rounding error

Turning normal cars into significant contributors is going to be an ELE for roads lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

another tale from a walk with my toddler, a big SUV blew through a stop sign as i was pushing a stroller through the intersection. thankfully nobody was hurt but lol at driving extremely aggressively and dangerously when you see a man pushing a stroller. even a child's life is not worth stopping.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

like i understand and expect people to act aggressively towards adult pedestrians but it's very disheartening how little regard people seem to give a fuckin stroller with a baby in it

gently caress all cars

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars sux

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How do other countries car cultures stack up? Maybe ours is just because they're being driven by americans.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Milo and POTUS posted:

How do other countries car cultures stack up? Maybe ours is just because they're being driven by americans.
For starters that e-hummer up there would be too heavy to drive on an EU car license, I think.

Local car culture seems to involve fitting a straight pipe to your tiny economy car, speeding through residential streets, redlining everywhere in 2nd gear and modifying the ECU to pump fuel during throttle lift and cause loud detonations in the exhaust system

good times, all around

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my favorite thing about driving is when other motorists use their enormous weapons to teach you a lesson* for observing the speed limit in residential areas while in front of them

*lessons include:
- tailgating 6 inches behind you for the entirety of your time spent together sharing the road
- flashing high beams at you and gesticulating wildly from behind their windshield
- pulling up next to you at the next stoplight and just staring at your like a complete psychopath
- hand on horn
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone and charging off into the horizon at double the speed limit
- murdering you with a gun
- swerving their car in a manner so as to make you think they are about to ram you. ha ha fooled you!
- actually ramming you
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone so that they can turn into the mcdonalds parking lot 100 yards down the road a little sooner
- flashing a weapon at you in view of the small child in your back seat
- spitting
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone for the opportunity to force you to stop for a friendly chat
- mistaking your vehicle for a trash receptacle
- committing suicide
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone for the opportunity to give you the middle finger

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've driven briefly in the EU (UK and Belgium) and NZ (South Island)

belgium:
- was quite friendly overall and Speed Limit in residential areas was typically 15 to 25 km/h (10 to 15 MPH) which is is very good. Not always observed entirely but it should be standard and is a lot safer and stopping distance at those speeds is negligible whereas stopping distance for 25 MPH is still like 50 feet.
- People actually nearly exclusively drive on the right-lane and generally only use the left-lane for passing, it's actually very friendly and everyone felt very professional and responsible when driving
- roads, markings, street lighting, etc are far far better than anything in america

uk:
- dogshit america car culture. rural roads that are barely larger than 1.5 lanes that everyone speeds down wrecklessly at like 60mph with tons of hedges and blind turn
- lots of cars and parking in even small ye olde townships. cars through tiny sidewalk tourist areas all the time.
- people can park on either side of the street facing any direction
- lots of loving morons drive in london instead of taking the reasonably good transit and spend forever in traffic

nz:
- no one on the road bc no one lives there
- people drive everywhere and lots of parking but there's no traffic so no one is angry all the time
- bicyclists dont get ran off the road and are typically respected

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

God Hole posted:

my favorite thing about driving is when other motorists use their enormous weapons to teach you a lesson* for observing the speed limit in residential areas while in front of them

*lessons include:
- tailgating 6 inches behind you for the entirety of your time spent together sharing the road
- flashing high beams at you and gesticulating wildly from behind their windshield
- pulling up next to you at the next stoplight and just staring at your like a complete psychopath
- hand on horn
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone and charging off into the horizon at double the speed limit
- murdering you with a gun
- swerving their car in a manner so as to make you think they are about to ram you. ha ha fooled you!
- actually ramming you
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone so that they can turn into the mcdonalds parking lot 100 yards down the road a little sooner
- flashing a weapon at you in view of the small child in your back seat
- spitting
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone for the opportunity to force you to stop for a friendly chat
- mistaking your vehicle for a trash receptacle
- committing suicide
- aggressively passing you in a no-passing zone for the opportunity to give you the middle finger

it really is unbelievable how mad people get when i tell them that i drive the speed limit or under it (don't like to go above 10 or 15 mph in my neighborhood streets!)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

vyelkin posted:

i hate cars

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is the biggest issue in Toronto as well, every incoming government completely scraps the outgoing government's plans and starts anew because they want to be the ones who Did The Thing, and then they get a quarter of the way through the process before being ousted and it all starts over again.

thats not why they do it, they do it because it re-starts the grifting and skimming cycle for themselves, their buddies and anyone else with connections. more money

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

vyelkin posted:

i hate cars

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

insanely stupid that pixar went with turning the windshield into a sonic the hedgehog style merged eyeball thing instead of using the headlights in line with every child’s imagination ever

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Blackhawk posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the rate of road surface damage goes up proportional to the weight of the vehicle to the fourth power, so uhhh yeah good luck with keeping the roads in usable condition once everyone transitions to EV trucks and SUVs that weigh twice as much as they already do. Also vehicle taxation/registration an licensing fees should absolutely scale by the mass of the vehicle to offset the disproportional amount of damage larger vehicles do to the road.

I weep at how hosed and stupid everything is, I used to work in the rail industry (for a huge global company making train components) and it was so clear how at least in places like Australia and New Zealand public transport decisions were being insanely hosed up because of our garbage democratic system of governance. Basically a city like Sydney would want to put in some new addition to its train network (Sydney already has a pretty decent heavy-rail network) but heavy-rail is expensive and takes a long time to build, and whichever government currently in power wants it done in a few years max so that they can show the voters something before election time.

And so in comes 'light-rail' which is basically taking a tram, which is a perfectly fine mode of transport in the right circumstance, and stretching it to be the length of a normal train and pretending that it is a train. This is because 'light-rail' is cheaper and faster to build, so you get to show off how quickly and cheaply you added this new infrastructure within one election cycle. Unfortunately trams are designed to move people relatively short distances, they're supposed to be small but frequent so you can have high throughput, they're typically limited to low speeds like ~50 kph and have very minimal seating because they're supposed to be crammed full of people who are only riding them a few minutes at a time.

Sydney 'light-rail' trams are between 33 and 45 meters long (about 150 feet) which at one point I think was the longest tram in the world, have a top speed of 70 kph but are often much slower than that and are operated just like a regular train with limited linear lines and fairly infrequent services. They run almost exclusively on dedicated off-road tracks built specifically for the system but because they're trams and not heavy-rail they can't operate on any of the existing heavy-rail infrastructure. Also for whatever reason out of the three existing light-rail lines built one of them follows different track and platform specifications to the other two, so vehicles can't even be shared between the light-rail lines on the same network. Sydney also has -another- metro rail system recently built which is also incompatible with both the existing heavy AND light-rail systems, and the three largest Australian states all operate different heavy-rail track gauges and so none can share vehicles or a common rail network...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mr. Sharps posted:

insanely stupid that pixar went with turning the windshield into a sonic the hedgehog style merged eyeball thing instead of using the headlights in line with every child’s imagination ever

yeah, the eyelet is weird

i remember this commercial and thought it was a nod to it at first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki4E1IcLKSE

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
does anyone here bike for groceries? im honestly just using my bike recreationally but was thinking of looking into some kinda gear that I can snap on my road bike easily to drive less. its a bit hilly here too so not sure what haul I can handle but im willing to try.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Radirot posted:

does anyone here bike for groceries? im honestly just using my bike recreationally but was thinking of looking into some kinda gear that I can snap on my road bike easily to drive less. its a bit hilly here too so not sure what haul I can handle but im willing to try.
i used to but now i can walk to 3+ grocery stores so i rarely need to bike but i'll do it sometimes

for bike groceries, you want panniers. they just attach to the backframe but also have ones that go on the front wheel frame if you want more space

a backpack/messanger bag for extra space on the back is also good if you need A LOT of room. i don't recommend buying multiple gallons of milk or anything but it should do for grocery runs.

get ones you can detach and leave at home bc they will get stolen otherwise. most should clip/slide on so it won't be a problem. also ideally permanently weld a pannier frame on if possible so you cant just socket it off in 5 seconds.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I use folding wire baskets attached to a rear rack with an elastic net over top. Works like a charm for 2 grocery bags.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

i used to but now i can walk to 3+ grocery stores so i rarely need to bike but i'll do it sometimes

for bike groceries, you want panniers. they just attach to the backframe but also have ones that go on the front wheel frame if you want more space

a backpack/messanger bag for extra space on the back is also good if you need A LOT of room. i don't recommend buying multiple gallons of milk or anything but it should do for grocery runs.

get ones you can detach and leave at home bc they will get stolen otherwise. most should clip/slide on so it won't be a problem. also ideally permanently weld a pannier frame on if possible so you cant just socket it off in 5 seconds.

thinking about this for a double pannier maybe. this video shows off all the food it holds which should be enough for me. pretty stoked to try it :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKEaeZwG0E&t=166s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Radirot posted:

thinking about this for a double pannier maybe. this video shows off all the food it holds which should be enough for me. pretty stoked to try it :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKEaeZwG0E&t=166s

yeah those look fine, there's a zillion options out there. just depends on how bad theft is and how much you want to spend on one just deciding what's appropriate for your budget and circumstances. definitely want double though for weight-balance distribution. if you REALLY need more you can also throw double on front, and also carry a backpack, but i rarely see that i think it's far overkill. i'm usually leaving the store with no more than 2 tote-bag full which is more than enough for a panniers

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vomik posted:

arson is the seasoning that flavors other crimes. yeah regicide is great - but have you tried regicide AND arson??

Guy Faukes did nothing wrong except get caught.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

God Hole posted:

City Slicker detected.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Radirot posted:

Frequently! There are a variety of panniers built to easily accommodate a standard grocery bag that make running errands a snap with any bike. You're unlikely to pick up enough to seriously complicate the ride (unless you're an idiot like me trying to haul two unsecured 24-packs that sway back and forth, making balance impossible).

If you want to carry more than two bags, your options range from adding a backpack, to buying a trailer, to buying a utility bike. If you can swing it, an ebike would help enormously with hills, though with the extra cost of requiring a more serious pair of locks.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I've always been seriously concerned about leaving any of my bikes for any period of time while shopping, although picking up takeaway food or a bag of coffee beans from a cafe is fine. I guess the solution to that is have a crappy beater bike with some good locks that most people wouldn't think is worth the effort.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We do all our groceries by bike now. Seconding that panniers are just about sufficient (for a two person household), I got some big ones from a Dutch brand, Clarijs. Having additional front ones or (my dream) a cargo bike would be ideal though, sometimes for a larger trip it's a bit awkward and I have to use a backpack.

You can get a surprising amount of weight into rear panniers before the bike gets unwieldy on flat terrain. I've been to the hardware store a number of times for paints, tool, mallets etc with no problem.

There's a London bike courier company @pedelmeapp who post photos on them taking crazy loads on their electric cargo bikes all the time

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blackhawk posted:

I've always been seriously concerned about leaving any of my bikes for any period of time while shopping, although picking up takeaway food or a bag of coffee beans from a cafe is fine. I guess the solution to that is have a crappy beater bike with some good locks that most people wouldn't think is worth the effort.

I use a £60 lock on a £50 bike. My panniers were more than that, but I got ones made from reused truck covers so they look like complete poo poo. Someone once stole the front wheel but that's it!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dante80 posted:

I hate cars. And I've got two. The reason is that I live in the center of Athens, and work in Marousi, a place about 10km away. The center of Athens has a stupid car traffic rule, where you can only use a car if the last digit of the license plate is odd on an odd day and vice versa (alternate day entrance regulation).

Presumably, the reason for it is to have less cars move around downtown etc. In reality, most families living in the center have two cars for that reason. The measure was suspended for two years now due to covid, but came back last week again.. :v:

lmao

also, i think this type of thing happened in gas shortages in some countries before. hmm

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mr. Sharps posted:

They had to use the headlights for nips instead

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

I was thinking about converting my bike to more of a cargo/utility bike and getting this for security

https://www.sherlock.bike/en/

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

actionjackson posted:

I was thinking about converting my bike to more of a cargo/utility bike and getting this for security

https://www.sherlock.bike/en/

Blackhawk posted:

there's a fun bike commuting thread in Great Outdoors which is handy for all concerns and questions.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I'm glad the city plowed the snow off the streets into the sidewalk. I love it! :crylaughemoji:

vyelkin posted:

i hate cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

pointsofdata posted:

We do all our groceries by bike now. Seconding that panniers are just about sufficient (for a two person household), I got some big ones from a Dutch brand, Clarijs. Having additional front ones or (my dream) a cargo bike would be ideal though, sometimes for a larger trip it's a bit awkward and I have to use a backpack.

You can get a surprising amount of weight into rear panniers before the bike gets unwieldy on flat terrain. I've been to the hardware store a number of times for paints, tool, mallets etc with no problem.

There's a London bike courier company @pedelmeapp who post photos on them taking crazy loads on their electric cargo bikes all the time

how far do you travel for groceries? I used to make Costco runs on a bike w a duffel bag and it was unwieldy but manageable for the 3miles. Certainly didn't look very dignified though