Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Watching a dude stream fighting Demifiend in SMTV on Youtube. He was able to beat Demifiend on Safety, but he's trying Casual now and is getting completely wrecked, up to 24 attempts now.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also does this game have a relationship thing like FF7? I figure it pushes you towards Yuna, but I keep running into Lulu, and I'd much rather hang out with Rikku, but that's just me.

It does, actually! It doesn't change much, the biggest things it changes is who Tidus rides with on the snow speeder to Macalania. Maybe a couple of other things, there's a guide for it somewhere.

The way it works is that every time you can see your party members on the map, whoever you talk to first gets a relationship point, nobody after that gains any. I believe Lulu starts out the highest, weirdly, which is why you see a lot of Lulu if you don't purposely focus on another party member. So every time your party splits up, talk to Rikku first to raise hers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Watching a dude stream fighting Demifiend in SMTV on Youtube. He was able to beat Demifiend on Safety, but he's trying Casual now and is getting completely wrecked, up to 24 attempts now.

lol he isntn going to win.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got my Switch OLED, setting it up was nice and smooth. It's "my" secondary console technically, because my ex kept the original but it's all still under the same Nintendo account so I don't have to rebuy a shitload of games. And we're pretty amicable so we can, you know, just split the cost if we both want a digital game.

It was surprisingly seamless! The only part I didn't realize is that I will now have to play Switch using the profile of my ex girlfriend, since I guess I can't set up a console-specific nickname for that profile. I guess I'll view this as Nintendo punishing me for not giving them extra video game moneys... lol

The only thing that would concern me is if it's possible for me to mess up save data on her Switch by playing a game on her profile... but as long as she doesn't manually use any of the Cloud Save system setting stuff I think there shouldn't be problems with that?

Chris Chichester
Oct 23, 2001
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/Phoenotopia/status/1459253849919668230

I'm not gonna buy it because I'm digital all the way but I just want another excuse to mention Phoenotopia Awakening so here I am.

I discovered this game via this thread. It’s great!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Stux posted:

lol he isntn going to win.

Yeah Demifiend gets five Press Turns, will auto kill you with Gaea Rage if you don't defeat one of his demons within five turns, and I think he fucks you up if you take out more than one of his demons in a turn too. He also has like six or seven potential allies he can summon too. Apparently harder than DDS Demifiend by quite a bit.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Martman posted:

The only thing that would concern me is if it's possible for me to mess up save data on her Switch by playing a game on her profile... but as long as she doesn't manually use any of the Cloud Save system setting stuff I think there shouldn't be problems with that?

i may be wrong but i think it uses cloud save stuff automatically by default for most games.

but if so you can probably turn it off on your end and then not have an issue.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok, so hopefully I can copy over all the old save files I want, then turn off the cloud save stuff and not have to think about it anymore.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Made some good progress through FFX tonight. Finally managed to wrap up Djose and now I'm at the Thunderplains.

Thoughts: Rikku is the best girl. What a fun character, but oh man is she underleveled. I don't think I've grinded, maybe wandered around a bit, I've got everyone wrapping up their first circle on the Sphere grid (Kimahri is a bit ahead and I've decided to put him on Wakka's path as opposed to Rikku's or Tidus. I'd like more haste/slow and another thief, but I feel he can get by a bit further with the status attacks, let me know if I'm wrong about this).

Wakka is becoming a somewhat annoying bigot, but he's still rather charming.

Also does this game have a relationship thing like FF7? I figure it pushes you towards Yuna, but I keep running into Lulu, and I'd much rather hang out with Rikku, but that's just me.

Also seeing what the Thunderplains are I am almost certain not to do that sidequest. I thought the window to dodge was slightly more forgiving, it's not, and needing 200 of those? Omg no. A toast to those of you who put up with it. You were mad youths with far too much time on your hands.

I dodged 200 lightning bolts in a row once.

I was in college, in the dorms, and there was a blizzard so we were snowed in. I had nothing else better to do.

What I did was I timed how many lightning bolts I dodged in a minute, and calculated how long it would take me to hit 200. (Turned out to be about 20 minutes). I went into kind of a Zen state, with the snow falling, lightning flashing in front of my face, watching the clock on my microwave out of the corner of my eye.

Right when the clock hit 20 minutes, I missed a dodge. In a panic, I went and checked the journal inside the Travel Agency.

Exactly 200. :woop: Would never ever, EVER do it again and I wouldn't recommend anybody else do it either. It is utter bullshit and I think you can craft weapons that are as good if not better than the ultimate weapons later on.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah Demifiend gets five Press Turns, will auto kill you with Gaea Rage if you don't defeat one of his demons within five turns, and I think he fucks you up if you take out more than one of his demons in a turn too. He also has like six or seven potential allies he can summon too. Apparently harder than DDS Demifiend by quite a bit.

And you gotta pay extra to access this ball bustin bullshit??

Different strokes I guess, I'm probably just weak but getting through any base SMT game is hard enough for me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I paid $10 so I could see my friend Hell Rider

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I completely repaired one of my 8bitdo controllers! :toot:

https://imgur.com/a/OoxSfb0

Here's the photo album with write-ups of a bunch of the steps, in case anyone's looking to do the same. It was incredibly easy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Shin Megami Tensei V has the best steelbook ever.

Not only does it look incredible but it also feels incredible with great build quality.

I wish this was the "default" case style for Switch games.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Different strokes I guess, I'm probably just weak but getting through any base SMT game is hard enough for me

The real benefit to buying the DLC is that it adds all the Fiends into the game as well.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Bought dicey dungeons today and it rules

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm back on Luigi's Mansion 3 and hot dang this game is very good (except for the plumber basement guy)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KingSlime posted:

Seriously. This just probably convinced me that none of the DLC in this game is worth it. I was at least interested in the Fiends DLC, but the fact that it's that hard coupled with the fact that you don't even get the Demi-Fiend at the end of it bums me out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Playing through SMTV having never played an SMT or Persona in my life before. I hosed around for ages before getting to the first boss and it still felt super overtuned, but hey I beat it on my second attempt so maybe that's just how bosses are.

Then I lost an hour of progress getting ganked by a trash encounter right as I was about to touch a save point. It's been a while since I've played a game without generous checkpointing.

game cool so far

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Playing through SMTV having never played an SMT or Persona in my life before. I hosed around for ages before getting to the first boss and it still felt super overtuned, but hey I beat it on my second attempt so maybe that's just how bosses are.

I'm early in the game but if the game is like the others when it comes to difficulty then this post is just :allears:.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played a few hours of GTA:SA Definitive Edition. SA was always my favourite, I love the music. I thought the environments and lighting looked great. Character models are poo poo though. Game is very fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I dodged 200 lightning bolts in a row once.

I was in college, in the dorms, and there was a blizzard so we were snowed in. I had nothing else better to do.

What I did was I timed how many lightning bolts I dodged in a minute, and calculated how long it would take me to hit 200. (Turned out to be about 20 minutes). I went into kind of a Zen state, with the snow falling, lightning flashing in front of my face, watching the clock on my microwave out of the corner of my eye.

Right when the clock hit 20 minutes, I missed a dodge. In a panic, I went and checked the journal inside the Travel Agency.

Exactly 200. :woop: Would never ever, EVER do it again and I wouldn't recommend anybody else do it either. It is utter bullshit and I think you can craft weapons that are as good if not better than the ultimate weapons later on.

I might give it thirty minutes or so sometime in the future, once I can avoid random encounters at the same time. But just my first immediate reaction was NOPE. I would 100% give up if I got to 100+ and failed. That said I did earlier do the Dash Challenge in Hyper Light Drifter which was a similar timing thing and that was glorious and peaceful so who knows.

I looked up the relationship guide and I'm going to be sure to become best buds with Rikku. She's cool. The Al Bhed are cool. Yevon's weird and so are its followers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chris Chichester posted:

I discovered this game via this thread. It’s great!

I'm looking at this and I'm confused. Is it an RPG or more like Animal Crossing or something?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Then I lost an hour of progress getting ganked by a trash encounter right as I was about to touch a save point. It's been a while since I've played a game without generous checkpointing.

game cool so far

It's important to remember re: trash mobs that you can just no-sell a dangerous fight if there is at least one demon in that group you already have. Then you can talk to them, they'll all high-five your party and go home, end of fight. Nice if you get surrounded or if your way forward is clogged by too many encounters for your taste. :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Libluini posted:

I'm looking at this and I'm confused. Is it an RPG or more like Animal Crossing or something?

Closer to Zelda 2 or Shantae

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Closer to Zelda 2 or Shantae

ah got it, well it looked nice but wrong genre for me

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Libluini posted:

Phoenotopia: Awakening is probably most similar to Zelda II, with a huge overworld map and tons of dungeons, towns, and secret areas to explore. It's definitely got some Metroidvania/Search Action DNA with how much exploration there can be, and how various upgrades let you find and access new areas to power up.

Combat takes a bit to get used to, your main attack is with a bat and uses stamina to swing, but later you get more damage options and honestly ranged attacks are usually better options. That said, fights are usually pretty solid all around, and there's a bit of Hollow Knight there where you take time to heal so you have to take what opportunities you get. There's also Assist Mode options to make things easier if you want to focus more on the rest of the game.

What really sells the game is its charm. It's just a delightful game all around, with some nice aesthetics, a fantastic OST, and wonderful characters and dialogue all over. Between that and the many, many secrets around (hell, there's a whole sidequest chain focused on finding hidden puzzle dungeons) and it's one of my favorite games to come out in the past few years. A god drat classic, and one that I really wish would get more attention.

Anyway, why let my words do the talking, here's the awesome trailer video and a ton of screenshots/videos I've taken while playing this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7qY3fntoLg

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1337715949588254721

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1338980305856655360

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1337718235102203906

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1339009320923451392

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ugh no, I hate this crap. Sorry, that's not for me. This fake retro 8bit-artstyle just looks horrible to me. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm early in the game but if the game is like the others when it comes to difficulty then this post is just :allears:.

Welp I got to the second boss and either this game expects me to grind my rear end off or there's some trick to preventing enemies from taking the protagonist from full health to 0 in a single turn. I got an item to block force attacks, but you can only bring three of those to a fight. I got some sidequests I've been putting off so we'll see if those are any help.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
grinding rarely helps, you must thinkn about and use all of your tools.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well yeah i'm getting more tools!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i would say, think about essences.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Welp I got to the second boss and either this game expects me to grind my rear end off or there's some trick to preventing enemies from taking the protagonist from full health to 0 in a single turn. I got an item to block force attacks, but you can only bring three of those to a fight. I got some sidequests I've been putting off so we'll see if those are any help.

To point out an example, when I had trouble with a stronger-then-normal midboss vomited out by the second red cancer globe, I stun-locked her for 4+ turns with sleep, and also reduced her hit- and evasion-chances with some spells my demons had on hand. Being able to charm and hitting like a truck didn't help her at all.

So I suggest trying some status-effects, see if the boss has some weakness, etc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Seriously. This just probably convinced me that none of the DLC in this game is worth it. I was at least interested in the Fiends DLC, but the fact that it's that hard coupled with the fact that you don't even get the Demi-Fiend at the end of it bums me out.

The Demi-Fiend is his own master.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

the fiend fights are all great and placed naturally around the game world and fit perfectly for the level range they're in. Even if you have zero desire to fight demi fiend it's worth it just for that imo....

Can't speak for the other dlcs tho

Also while I think it would be cool to be able to recruit him, they prob wouldn't make his fight as insanely hard in that case which would be lame as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

Holy poo poo :yikes:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp turns out what I was missing was that the boss fight is a lot shorter than it appears, and I was very close to beating it on every attempt, rather than nowhere near having a chance. This one took me three tries game is cool again.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I haven't played SMTV myself, but one thing I do know from other Megaten games is that status effects, buffs, and especially debuffs, are actually good. Know how status effects in the vast majority of JRPGs are useless because most bosses resist or are outright immune to them, and you're better off just attacking? Yyyyyyyeah no so in Megaten. Bosses, and even trash encounters, hit like a dang truck, and grinding for raw numbers won't help you. If you're grinding, it's to get a particular ability or Fuse a demon that no-sells the boss.

Using status effects and debuffing the enemy's attack, defense, and most critically accuracy, will get you a lot further than grinding. And also I don't know if SMTV uses this same system but at least in SMTIV, there was a mechanic where if you hit an enemy for its weak point, they would straight up lose a turn.

Hope this helps! Have fun. Megaten is good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tetris Effect still good.

I'm going through quick play to pick my very favorite stages and I played some multiplayer earlier and had some nice matches. One got me to level 21. Blocks are insta dropping and I had a 90k point lead. Unlikely I would lose even if I tapped out first, but the guy managed to keep up for quite a while. He still lost first by seconds which was pretty cool.

Last Tetris 99 theme was Metroid right? I feel like we had a couple in quick succession and then nada.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Close. The Press Turn system gives your party extra turns when you hit a weakness. Your party loses turns if you miss or hit a Null/Drain/Repel. Naturally this also works for the enemy the same way.

Persona 3's combat system caused combatants to gain the Down status effect if hit in their weakness in addition to the attacker gaining an extra turn and the possibility of getting an All-Out Attack if you knocked all the enemies down, but you could lose your next turn if you missed with a basic attack. This was dialed back in 4 and 5, and the Down status no longer causes you to lose a turn (though in 4 you could inflict Dizzy if you hit an enemy's weakness after they were Down, which caused them to lose a turn, but you didn't get the One More from it).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thanks for posting that trailer for Phoenotopia. the music in it cribs chrono cross but i consider that a positive and i'm gonna get it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Commander Keene posted:

Close. The Press Turn system gives your party extra turns when you hit a weakness. Your party loses turns if you miss or hit a Null/Drain/Repel. Naturally this also works for the enemy the same way.

the funniest rear end in a top hat part of this is making multi-hit spells riskier. get two crits and one miss on a Heat Wave? gently caress you, lose a turn :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grinding in a SMT game is for dang fools (unless you enjoy grinding, in which case more power to you!). Instead, always be fusing.