Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Looper posted:

68f indoors is freezing are you kidding me

this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Meanwhile I went to chess class, the class where you learn to play chess.

Turns out I loving suck at chess.

You should learn to play Shogi. It’s similar to chess except you can get hosed over in about a billion more ways.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you should learn to play 5d chess with multiverse time travel. its like chess but with several more dimensions

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dewgy posted:

You should learn to play Shogi. It’s similar to chess except you can get hosed over in about a billion more ways.

I vaguely remember there being a manga about a really hardcore game of Shogi where the loser had all their blood drained out but I could be getting that mixed up with some other game. I do remember someone had a IV bag hooked up to their arm to handle the blood sucking, and also it went on for like 100 chapters.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 14, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dewgy posted:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I vaguely remember there being a manga about a really hardcore game of Shogi where the loser had all their blood drained out but I could be getting that mixed up with some other game. I do remember someone had a IV bag hooked up to their arm to handle the blood sucking, and also it went on for like 100 chapters.

Think that was a mahjong manga, though I won't discount the thought that there might be multiple gambling manga where you bet your own blood

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

As Arzaac mentioned, it's indeed a mahjong manga, Akagi, where each point loss has to be paid with an equivalent volume in blood. Amid a number of twists a famous one is the protagonist guessed the blood thing beforehand and had himself pumped with an extra 500cc to give himself an edge. The 100 chapter thing isn't quite accurate though, that match actually takes up roughly 230 chapters (out of a total of 304). Sometimes it can take a dozen chapters to put down a tile.

Chev fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 14, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

We flew too close to the sun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Chev posted:

The 100 chapter thing isn't quite accurate though, that match actually takes up roughly 230 chapters (out of a total of 304). Sometimes it can take a dozen chapters to put down a tile.

The actual time between when that arc first started getting published vs when it was finished was pretty long. It started in 1997 and the author didn't wrap it up until 2017.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how are people liking smtv?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

it's good

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Rinkles posted:

I ask myself the same question about lots of garbage that's popular

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whoa

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

akagi ftw.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I think it's great so far

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

SeXReX posted:

I ask myself the same question about lots of garbage that's popular

how are people liking sexrex's posts?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

goty

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i was kind of dissapointed in the semi-open-world when it was first announced bc i was really jonesing for a classical dungeon crawler but it works really well in this game

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wuggles posted:

They're tolerable. Probably better than mine. ;)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

wuggles posted:

I thought it was funny! I normally don't check poster's names though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was kind of dissapointed in the semi-open-world when it was first announced bc i was really jonesing for a classical dungeon crawler but it works really well in this game

the world is the real dungeon....

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

wuggles posted:

they could use some work

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Looper posted:

lol i keep mine around 78 during the day

Are you a flame sprite? Some kind of efreet maybe?

I grew up Canadian and still struggle with America's brine-based temperature system. So in order to be able to make small talk I have memorized that 32 is zero and 76 is a normal day in LA. You live your winters in hotter climes than LA?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Today I played FFVII for seven straight hours. Good grief.

It was amazing, fantastic, chill, wicked, intriguing, bonkers fun.

Also I got lucky with my chocobos and bred the gold chocobo immediately. I got every single chocobo I needed to get the gold one straight away. It was unreal. :D

Then this luck was balanced out by dying ridiculously over and over again in battle square in gold saucer.

I adore this wild and unpredictable game :3:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
2 hours of chocobo breeding and racing. What a stream

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Draga posted:

2 hours of chocobo breeding and racing. What a stream

Shoulda been 20 hours if not for VG's supernatural luck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

VG having extraordinary luck in games seems to be a leitmotif... thinking about Outer Wilds...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

VG having extraordinary luck in games seems to be a leitmotif... thinking about Outer Wilds...

And beating Genichiro third phase first time, and soul of cinders first time, and burnt ivory king first time, and biome 3 (4?) of returnal not giving me a terrible enemy at all. Basically most of the time I end up going the right way and getting terribly lucky.

Then everyone else gets lucky when I end up having the silliest outcomes of gaming. Win win. :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dewgy posted:

You should go all the way and learn Taikyoku Shogi

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

good morning games how's it hanging what's your latest highscore?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

Predates the Campaign for North Africa by centuries...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finished up Dead Space 2 today. It's a drat good game, and a definite improvement on the original in a lot of ways. Aside from combat feeling more fluid overall, the pacing and escalation is far superior to Dead Space 1's latter half. There were a couple moments in the latter 4 chapters where my ammo started getting severely strained, and the number and variety of enemies they start dropping keeps combat from feeling predictable. The horror experience still suffers at times from them overplaying the payoff after an incredibly tense buildup (like on the Ishimura; imagine if they simply showed a Brute charging down the hallway in the dim lighting and then sandwiched you between some other Necromorphs instead of stopping the game dead with that dumb cinematic), but there's several moments of genuine pants-making GBS threads terror (mostly in the cathedral, which is the high point of the game in numerous regards) that were missing from Dead Space 1.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

this is just a map from fire emblem awakening

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rinkles posted:

im feeling goty about it

for some reason a lot of reviews are complaining about the story and i think they're crazy. it's much more coherent than nocturne and has none of the goofy poo poo from apocalypse (so far).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like I'm going to a bad place when "going to bed" means switching from playing SMTV on my tv to playing it in handheld mode lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like I'm going to a bad place when "going to bed" means switching from playing SMTV on my tv to playing it in handheld mode lol

Yeah, that's a pretty bad place, you should have a TV and second dock in the bedroom

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't use electronics before bed. Getting good sleep is important.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1460036869060800515

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody who has trouble getting to sleep at night should take up long distance running, you won't even make it through the introduction to a cosmology lecture ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I just heard of this steam deck thing, does anyone have an opinion on the concept? Can't make out if it's cool or not