Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1459198116121362432?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m sorry, WHAT

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What the gently caress!?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hahahaha. I hope it's still exactly the same kind of bad it always was. Just lean into it more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh. I thought there was no loving way those rumors were true.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They've been dropping series' announcements and confirmations with logos for the past half hour or so.

Secret Invasion
Marvel Zombies (animated)
Agatha
Ironheart
I Am Groot (animated)
Spider-Man: Freshman Year (animated)
Echo
What If...? season 2
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk (though it looks like She/Hulk, clever)
Moon Knight
X-Men '97

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Sometimes Joker wakes up and decides he wants to be a crime boss. That's fine. The execution, though, yikes. While I do have sympathy for a studio Frankenstein-ing a movie, much like Fan Four Stic I'm starting to think the original was not terribly good either.
Honestly I wish we got more to the crime boss Joker like in BTAS; I'm just tired of the chaos agent

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Take away the dumb tattoos and Leto joker is fine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly didn't mind Leto Joker, aside from all the sketchy stuff around Leto. He was kind of a stupid edgelordy guy but so is the "burn the world" Joker so like... different shades. I don't actually look up to Joker so I'm fine with him being a tool. I don't think he added much though and he just kind of added to the disjointed mess of the movie but a lot of stuff got it there.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

They've been dropping series' announcements and confirmations with logos for the past half hour or so.

Secret Invasion
Marvel Zombies (animated)
Agatha
Ironheart
I Am Groot (animated)
Spider-Man: Freshman Year (animated)
Echo
What If...? season 2
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk (though it looks like She/Hulk, clever)
Moon Knight
X-Men '97

The cowards should do a continuation of the 90s Spider-Man cartoon so he can finally find Mary Jane.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally saw Shang-Chi, found it surprisingly charming and emotional. Dunno if it really needed to escalate from family drama to universally threatening CGI soul-suckage exactly but it's kinda sweet and cool that Shang and Katy low key saved life as we know it. Also, give me a Katy & Kate team-up, yeah?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Hasn't this been an an ongoing comic series for a while now?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

MH Knights posted:

Hasn't this been an an ongoing comic series for a while now?

Nah, it was a limited series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am finishing watching Shang Chi and you know what, I cannot believe it's taken this long for American cinema to reference dragon ball

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I am finishing watching Shang Chi and you know what, I cannot believe it's taken this long for American cinema to reference dragon ball

There was literally a live action Dragonball movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Matrix Reloaded was 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnpeOYx048

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes and it sucked absolute dragon balls

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yes and it sucked absolute dragon balls

I'm not saying it didn't!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Just watched Shang-Chi. I liked it, it wasn't bad, but all I care about are powerlevels, and this all felt very street level. 8/10, it was alright.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ImpAtom posted:

We don't talk about that movie in this current timeline.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Got back from Eternals. I thought it was fine but nothing great. The problem is that we really don't get enough time with most of these characters to really to get to know them enough before the big climatic scenes near the end. I'm going to spoiler the rest of my thoughts on this.

I liked some of the characters more than others, particularly Sersi, Phastos, and Gilgamesh. Unfortunately, the latter two aren't in the movie that much, one dying about halfway through and the other only really showing up in the third act, which is unfortunate. I kind of enjoyed Ikaris at times, but I was surprised that they had him do a heel turn at the end, although it does end up making sense since he was the most brooding and disconnected of all of the characters and we at least find out why. Makkari is barely in the movie at all so I don't really have an opinion on her, along with Ajak. The story arc the movie attempts with Thena never really clicked with me. I didn't really like either Sprite or Kingo at all, and Kingo in particular seems like he didn't even need to be in the movie, since he just fucks off in the third act for *reasons*. He comes off as a selfish dick and it doesn't help that he just bails out at the end of the movie. Druig was probably the strangest character, since the movie spends like 2/3 of the time making it seem like he's going to become a secret villain or something, but it turns out that no, he's actually good, he's just frustrated with everything. For those first two thirds I was not a big fan, but he comes around at the end thankfully. Speaking of characters that didn't need to be here, both Kro the Deviant (who I don't think is ever named?) and Dane Whitman. Whitman is clearly setup for future movies, and it kind of shows, since he's only in the very beginning, the very end, and the post-credits. He's kind of a nothing character in this. I'm glad I looked up who the voice in the post-credits was supposed to be, because there was no way I would have known who that was supposed to be without being told who it was. Just a little strange that you tease Blade but don't even show him in shadow or anything. The whole thing with Kro being able to take the Eternals' powers for himself is never really explained, and as others have mentioned, that plotline really goes nowhere.

This would likely be much better as a miniseries, or like two movies at least, so we could flesh out the characters some more and give them time to breathe. As it is, the movie really shortchanges several characters, in particular Phastos and Makkari.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gologle posted:

Just watched Shang-Chi. I liked it, it wasn't bad, but all I care about are powerlevels, and this all felt very street level. 8/10, it was alright.

The first half yeah, I mean the dude killed alien/demon/god thing and is functionally immortal now so that has to pump up his numbers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not saying it didn't!

If something sucks you can assume it doesn't exist!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

If something sucks you can assume it doesn't exist!

I mean we live in the year 2021. If I did that I'd have to pretend I was floating in an empty void.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I believe what they mean is that they actually name drop the Kamehameha. Usually when American movies reference DBZ (or other anime) visually, if a character acknowledges the similarity in-universe they just talk about how something looks like "anime".

I mean, it's not a hard set rule, I'm sure other stuff has done it, but most stuff I've seen likes to use the blanket "anime" term, presumably not to alienate people who would not get the more specific reference.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

And ironically Kingo proved to be the real Kamehameha master.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

I believe what they mean is that they actually name drop the Kamehameha.
They say kamehameha in the live action dragonball movie, it's not afraid to be cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nu0RhRUqIE

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Calaveron posted:

You say that when Vegeta was the villain of Black Panther

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The United States posted:

They say kamehameha in the live action dragonball movie, it's not afraid to be cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nu0RhRUqIE

Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I cannot even begin to understand the mindset behind putting the Kamehameha in the film, and yes retaining the fact that it's a big energy beam attack, but then adding in the completely bonkers caveat that the technique launches you yourself bodily into your target. You're shooting a beam out of your hands...that also drags you along with it somehow. There's no conceivable explanation for it other than them literally trying to make it as wrong as possible on purpose.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I cannot even begin to understand the mindset behind putting the Kamehameha in the film, and yes retaining the fact that it's a big energy beam attack, but then adding in the completely bonkers caveat that the technique launches you yourself bodily into your target. You're shooting a beam out of your hands...that also drags you along with it somehow. There's no conceivable explanation for it other than them literally trying to make it as wrong as possible on purpose.

It's because that's how Goku defeated King Piccolo originally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5CwV1nPG8
But yeah Dragonball Evolution was in a big loving rush to get everything about Dragonball purposefully wrong

bunnyofdoom posted:

You say that when Vegeta was the villain of Black Panther

Oh yeah I forgot Kilroy's duds were straight up Vegeta's armor, but it was really missing somebody calling him out as such

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 14, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh I forgot to mention this extremely useless bit of info earlier, but I can't be the only one who realized that there's a part of the Eternals theme that is exactly the same motif as the opening to Final Fantasy XI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGS_Ctd0S9I&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlks4Bz2OgI&t=102s

It's just that one line of music and the songs go differently from there...but that one line is clearly note-for-note the same exact melody, which has got to be a pretty statistically-astonishing occurrence.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I rather doubt it. There's some principles that come up pretty often in choral music.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hold on to your hyped butts:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1460291852771414017

Let's see how many of the new trailer "leaks" are true. (Or did it get leaked like the other one? lmao)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I hope the final trailer reveals that this version of the Green Goblin is really small.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

I hope the final trailer reveals that this version of the Green Goblin is really small.

He obviously will be. Sony sees the obvious bank Star Wars and the MCU have made with their cute little creatures so you can bet on helium-voice Willem Dafoe as Scrappy Goblin.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would actually hate it for the movie but if they threw Tom Hardy Venom in the trailer the internet would lose its god drat mind.

Regardless I’m pretty excited for it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently the movie is like 169 minutes and I dunno about that

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

He obviously will be. Sony sees the obvious bank Star Wars and the MCU have made with their cute little creatures so you can bet on helium-voice Willem Dafoe as Scrappy Goblin.

"AVENGE ME!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arist posted:

Apparently the movie is like 169 minutes and I dunno about that

Given how much poo poo they’re apparently cramming into it, I’d be worried if it was any shorter.