Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Dragula: DING DONG THE BITCH IS DEAD! YESSSSSS! Oh my god, finally. She was insufferable this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Omg I haven't seen Rachel True in anything since The Craft. I have to watch that again soon now.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Dragula:
Well, that was the right result. one team was really stacked though, drat. It was great to see Dahli get a well-deserved win. Also, so great to see Poppy on, both guest judges had really good commentary this episode, I thought. My one critique of Saint's floorshow outfit was that below the waist it was a little underbaked. I also really want to see Sigourney do punk or filth - so far she's been very horror and glamour but I want to see her a little more raw. I think the judgments mirrored my own in general.

I actually thought Merrie's ideas about going more dirty were right and I liked her interactions with Jade. But man, the rest of the episode... She has since taken to social media (backed by Bitter Betty) to call Sigourney a manipulative liar and say she can't wait to expose Sigourney at the reunion. Sigourney has separately tweeted that it felt good to see her perceived experience validated on the show, and asked fans to not send hate to other contestants.

What a mess!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just spent the last week in Mexico City, so I'm feeling a little daunted trying to catch up on all the TV I've missed. Thankfully, WOW Plus was the only streaming service that allowed me to watch from Mexico, so I was able to watch last week's episodes of UK and Canada. Bummed about Scarlett going home on UK, I think she has a low of raw talent, but is too unpolished. Canada, it was a pretty weak Snatch Game, but I loved seeing the dreamboat Boman "Bomanizer" Martinez-Reid.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

mexico city owns, stayed in la condesa last time I was there and loved it

re: dragula. good result and great judging but smh at the boulet brothers hard whiffing on clocking j-rock influence yet again

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizuZero posted:

mexico city owns, stayed in la condesa last time I was there and loved it

That's exactly where I stayed! My friends are in this penthouse apartment overlooking the dog park there. So many great restaurants and bars right there in the neighborhood. It reminded me a lot of a cross between NYC and Japan.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah + roma is a few streets down + it abuts the extremely good Chapultepec park. top tier neighbourhood all told. I saw some great art + architecture + great lucha but next time I’m there I should really check out the drag scene

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizuZero posted:

yeah + roma is a few streets down + it abuts the extremely good Chapultepec park. top tier neighbourhood all told. I saw some great art + architecture + great lucha but next time I’m there I should really check out the drag scene

Yeah my friends I stayed with are straight, and they tried to take me out to the gay bars one night, and we ended up in a part of town that was completely dead. I googled "gay bar" and saw that we were about 5 blocks too far east. They decided that was too far away and suggested we go to some bars where we were. Shockingly, everything was closed, so we just went back to their apartment. There were a lot of great looking gay guys in the neighborhood though!

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
DRUK Jesus, the plot armor they have Crystal Versace wearing is beyond ridiculous. They were afraid to put her in the bottom with Vanity (it was clear they were the bottom two) because Vanity would have bodied her in a lip sync. Instead, Ru gushed over yet another mediocre performance with a “You’re perfect, you’re beautiful, you got it, kiddo. You’re SAFE.”

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

resting mitch face posted:

DRUK Jesus, the plot armor they have Crystal Versace wearing is beyond ridiculous. They were afraid to put her in the bottom with Vanity (it was clear they were the bottom two) because Vanity would have bodied her in a lip sync. Instead, Ru gushed over yet another mediocre performance with a “You’re perfect, you’re beautiful, you got it, kiddo. You’re SAFE.”

I haaate it, she's had that armor from episode 1.

I think this has everything to do with that whole "production takes photos of all of your looks before the season even starts" thing- they had her earmarked from the beginning because she has cool drag and actual capability be damned we're going to show all of it.

I wish Drag Race were an actual drag competition but it just isn't :sigh:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I love how season 1 of UK had "We're favoring this contestant because many of her performances are so good, even though her looks are total rear end" (Baga Chips), while this season has the reverse.

Baga has some charm, but I got tired of "runway = open mouth and Drunken Auntie jazz hands" real, real quick.

Dragula: This drama is too much and is continuing off the show, with some rather hosed-up accusations being thrown (Merrie claimed on Twitter that the reason she doesn't like Sigourney is because she caught Sigourney "Fake crying" over her recently-deceased mom, which makes her bringing up "our meaningful talk about losing loved ones" during the episode extra loving weird).

People always say "Y'ALL COMPLAIN WHEN THERE'S NO DRAMA AND THEN COMPLAIN WHEN THERE IS", but....no, I don't mind the occasional heated argument or petty comment, but THIS poo poo is so loving uncomfortable to watch. I'm hoping it's genuinely just the mix of contestants that they had this season, and not producers encouraging drama like RPDR has been known to. If this type of thing continues in future seasons, I don't know that I want them.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 12, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

UK: Krystal gives me the same "blessed and highly favoured" vibe as Symone did, but Symone at least gave us some good lip syncs as well as the immortal fleg fect'ry.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha Ru's outfit on the runway in this week's UK episode was not great

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

And yet better than Brooke’s

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

luminalflux posted:

And yet better than Brooke’s

drat I'm about to watch Canada. but Ru's looks like one of the car foil heat reflectors wrapped around a boring dress

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

It's an adequate dress, made of materials that are on her body.

Canada:

I predict "bye flop" will enter the drag fan lexicon.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm not really feeling Traci as a judge; she's nice enough but to me she comes across a bit tryhard, the straight girl at the gay bar.

UK:

I didn't think anyone was really terrible this week; I think this week proves that acting challenges work best with a small cast.That was a boring-rear end song for a lip sync IMHO. Also the stupidity of Ella killing people with her Death Bra rays when she very clearly was NOT wearing a bra!

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 12, 2021

lookmanicant
Apr 18, 2006

Hi, I'm John Sheppard. Isn't my hair awesome? I like ferris wheels.

Drimble Wedge posted:

UK:

I didn't think anyone was really terrible this week; I think this week proves that acting challenges work best with a small cast.That was a boring-rear end song for a lip sync IMHO. Also the stupidity of Ella killing people with her Death Bra rays when she very clearly was NOT wearing a bra!

Hard agree! Saving the acting challenges to the top 4 is always a great show. The directors get to take time to direct each person and get a great performance and the Queens get to have more face time. I was a bit surprised at the end result, but enjoyed it.

Canada:
"I don't gently caress with Taylor Swift." That line killed me. I gotta say most of these queens are darn polished though!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Queen of the Universe trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXQPD81FOI

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
UK This was probably the first episode this season that I've enjoyed as a whole. This is how all acting challenges should be. At this point it just feels like we're waiting for Vanity to get executed but it gives us a roast challenge.

Canada It's insane how the lip sync wasn't Eve vs Kendall. Synthia's verse was by far the best in her group and her runway fit the brief better than Kendall's.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 12, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shneak posted:

UK At this point it just feels like we're waiting for Vanity to get executed but it gives us a roast challenge.

putting the roast challenge in the last episode is an excellent but absolutely brutal way to grill the queens. it's such a 'make or break' challenge.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

UK: How? How was Krystal safe? This was such b.s. just to keep a favored girl safe. Also, Ella Vaday was really confident in her lipsync abilities, but I honestly thought she lost the lipsync.

Canada: All I can say is I would have loved to see how Suki Doll would have interpreted her country lyrics. Bye Eve 6000, you won't be missed.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Remember when Rock M Sakura did a fart joke and the judges were like “you loving bitch don’t you dare!” and now we have a challenge that is basically an extended fart/poo scene and Ru is like “this was so much funnnn!”

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Or like, the draglexa challenge from 3-4 episodes ago?

The rigga morris is real

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Krystal Versace takes the stage for next week’s roast episode, proceeds to howl in whale tones at Victoria Scone, dunks on the guest judge’s career and then asks Ru to stand up. Ru stands up to reveal she is wearing joggers while laughing hysterically the whole time. The judges panel praise Krystal’s performance and Ru starts to weep when she tells Krystal she was born to do drag.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Finally starting on CDR2. Does anyone get a bit of a Bebe vibe from Suki? I do and am living for it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm just very underwhelmed by the final 4 of UK. I'd be fine with Ella or Kitty win, although it feels like they're really dragging Krystal to the end for an undeserving win. I have no idea how Vanity is still there. Her only win was a group win, and she's either been safe, or in the bottom every single week.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm just very underwhelmed by the final 4 of UK. I'd be fine with Ella or Kitty win, although it feels like they're really dragging Krystal to the end for an undeserving win. I have no idea how Vanity is still there. Her only win was a group win, and she's either been safe, or in the bottom every single week.

Vanity just lipsynchs the heck out of all of 'em.

i'd like an Ella win too. Kitty i just don't find as polished, her runways always have pretty cakey makeup

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

In other news, there's going to be a Ru Christmas movie on VH-1 this year called "The Bitch Who Stole Christmas":

https://ew.com/tv/rupaul-christmas-movie-drag-race-queens/

No trailer yet.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
Vanity will out lipsync anyone which is why I think next episode she will be ousted like chichi or darienne were before the final

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just finished the infamous clown episode of CDR. Main challenge aside, that runway was incredible. Everyone brought their A-game, except Synthia, who went full-on basic lol. And yet, Pythia still managed to blow everyone else out of the water.

It's kind of funny finding Gia's aesthetic so similar to Gigi's, but her not getting the same kind of fawning reception from the judges.

In general, Canada feels like the "fairest" of the spin-offs where wins/elims rarely feel pulled out of asses, and queens don't get plot armor. Does anyone know whether Ru has any say in the judging?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Just finished the infamous clown episode of CDR. Main challenge aside, that runway was incredible. Everyone brought their A-game, except Synthia, who went full-on basic lol. And yet, Pythia still managed to blow everyone else out of the water.

It's kind of funny finding Gia's aesthetic so similar to Gigi's, but her not getting the same kind of fawning reception from the judges.

In general, Canada feels like the "fairest" of the spin-offs where wins/elims rarely feel pulled out of asses, and queens don't get plot armor. Does anyone know whether Ru has any say in the judging?

Of Canada? I’m pretty sure the only thing Ru does for versions she’s not on is the filmed challenge intros.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

This is how I'm feeling about CA and UK, very whelmed. I had to go back and check that I had even watched both of them because nothing this season stands out in my mind

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess they couldn't get Shania Twain so somehow Bif Naked should be there for a "country" song that didn't even sound a lick like country minus a loving banjo in there. And yes, I know the joke that modern country is just pop with a twang but this didn't even come close. Plus it basically sounded like Break Up, Bye Bye - and the little turn and wave move the 2nd group did didn't help break the illusion. Zzzz. gently caress. What a poo poo few months of the big drag shows.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My most anticipated moment from the trailer is apparently on tonight's episode of Dragula... :v:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nearly caught up with CDR (4/5 episodes), and I've enjoyed every minute of it. Some people here were making it sound pretty lackluster, which I don't get. It kind of feels like an early-to-mid season of OG Drag Race to me, right down to the charming low-budget feel. In fact, the season I'm most reminded of is the universally praised S6.

Yeah, it was hard to tell who was who early on, but the funny thing is I was still living for whoever was on screen.

Also, it's refreshing that there aren't as many thousand dollar designer runways (at least I hope they didn't pay that much...) and that a lot of the queens made most/all of their drag.

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

Dragula ep.5
Holy poo poo. This is worst. The drama is out of control here.
:psyduck:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

If y'all remember, a while ago I posted a music video by Bbno$, with him all dragged up and featuring Jimbo.

There's a round two, with Bbno$ and Rebecca Black both in drag. :3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHC-Iy7cac0

https://twitter.com/bbnomula/status/1445451643072368640

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh poo poo - gonna watch that when I get home!!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

woof, the drama in dragula is mounting. haven’t seen it this bad since the james & victoria bully squad in s2. Excited for the more mature contestants to continue presenting excellence as the drama machines are winnowed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This was so loving funny. (Clip is from the latest episode of Dragula, but does not spoil any contestant looks or placements.)

https://twitter.com/BoAsgolfbag/status/1460773861843218439