Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You still gotta grind the MC up in order to fuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Srice posted:

Grinding in a SMT game is for dang fools (unless you enjoy grinding, in which case more power to you!). Instead, always be fusing.

the only time ive grinded so far was to fuse pyrojack for the second boss because i was super light on fire attacks, and it took like ten minutes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

You get so much xp from the various Mitamas and subquest completion that I basically barely have to even engage random encounters unless I'm specifically looking for more demons or am about to level up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean that's what I've been doing! Trying to learn the mechanics and fusing my way through! I'm just having to learn that bosses will absolutely require everything you have, even early story bosses. Haven't ground anything yet, no sir.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You get so much xp from the various Mitamas and subquest completion that I basically barely have to even engage random encounters unless I'm specifically looking for more demons or am about to level up.

i may regret this later but this very much does not seem to be a "you will get hosed if you explore and ignore most "random" encounters for a bit" thing which is nice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the big trap that might get people is like, early on if you manage to fuse yourself out of an elemental attack that you absolutely need and the early game economy makes compendium use impractical

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Len posted:

Honestly just exploring and doing sidequests has been giving me a ton of exp. The petrified demons in particular give such an obscene amount of experience to the point where I wonder: is this legal? Can Atlus even get away with this?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Srice posted:

Honestly just exploring and doing sidequests has been giving me a ton of exp. The petrified demons in particular give such an obscene amount of experience to the point where I wonder: is this legal? Can Atlus even get away with this?

it seemed like a lot (its basically a free grimoire to your party) but tbh in practice it doesn't take long to level any demon out of learning new moves anyway which is usually when i think of moving on

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean that's what I've been doing! Trying to learn the mechanics and fusing my way through! I'm just having to learn that bosses will absolutely require everything you have, even early story bosses. Haven't ground anything yet, no sir.

Yep, that's fine! I just wanted to give some general advice because the status effect thing is something that's fairly unique to Megaten. Maybe I'm projecting a little but decades of RPGs just taught me that status effects are worthless and using them would be a waste of a turn. :shrug: Was a bit of an adjustment period for me.

Oh, and also I don't know if this spell exists in SMTV (it probably does?) but there are spells that will auto reflect one physical or magical hit on the entire party. Ridiculously good for both avoiding damage and for denying the enemy a turn! Look out for them.

Commander Keene posted:

Close. The Press Turn system gives your party extra turns when you hit a weakness. Your party loses turns if you miss or hit a Null/Drain/Repel. Naturally this also works for the enemy the same way.

Right yeah, that. I was fuzzy on the details. It's been a hot minute since I played SMTIV. I've been meaning to get back to it. I got lost for a long time on the world map and it kinda took the wind out of my sails. SMTV uses the same system then?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it seemed like a lot (its basically a free grimoire to your party) but tbh in practice it doesn't take long to level any demon out of learning new moves anyway which is usually when i think of moving on

That makes a lot more sense haha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you get a lot of grimoires too. they really want you to use them and not hoard them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Right yeah, that. I was fuzzy on the details. It's been a hot minute since I played SMTIV. I've been meaning to get back to it. I got lost for a long time on the world map and it kinda took the wind out of my sails. SMTV uses the same system then?

Nah, it's closer to Xenoblade with it having multiple large open areas. There are some times where you'll be put in a world map like SMTIV, but it's brief.

Pro-tip for enjoying the SMTIV world map if you ever decide to give it another go: Think of getting lost on that map as a feature. NPCs will give you directions and there's plenty of side quests to do. SMT is more about the worldbuilding (quite literally) than going straight from plot beat to plot beat. Especially in IV.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Libluini posted:

Ugh no, I hate this crap. Sorry, that's not for me. This fake retro 8bit-artstyle just looks horrible to me. :(

I don't mind/like retro 8 bit style in general but I agree I don't like that game's look at all

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

I noticed there's actually something in place to discourage grinding. My demons will get more exp from the same fight compared to me once the game thinks I'm getting over leveled. Random encounters and a boss fight both did it. But when I'm under leveled, they all get the same. :shrug:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
itsi p insane how theyve made a game where encounters are no longer random still feel threatening while also not penalisingy ou for avoiding fights. a jrpg masterclass.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1459773444531310593?s=20

The gift that keeps on giving.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe he should have spent 50 minutes doing something else

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why was he doing that? Is there an achievement or was he just being “wacky”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

perhaps the name joel vinesauce will reveal the true motives

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

there is no way in h*ck I will recognize a version of Vice City without Kate Bush and Joe Jackson as legitmate

for shame

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

hatty posted:

Why was he doing that? Is there an achievement or was he just being “wacky”

It's the quickest way to make CJ fat

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
joel vinesauce

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sounds like they managed to make a value overflow. Does the Definitive Edition have auto-saving?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does the Definitive Edition have auto-saving?

Yep. And mission fail restarts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

maybe he should have spent 50 minutes doing something else

like playing a better game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

could just play the game like a normal person

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

could just play the game like a normal person

that seems less entertaining

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is watching a character drink soda for an hour entertaining?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hatty posted:

Is watching a character drink soda for an hour entertaining?

Slap David Lynch's name on it and it's the best thing ever, and if you don't like it you're just a dumb philistine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Merkinman posted:

Slap David Lynch's name on it and it's the best thing ever, and if you don't like it you're just a dumb philistine.

drat................ true

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Seems more like Andy Warhol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Merkinman posted:

:dafuq:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
cope levels, rising....

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Please don't insult CJ's crippling addiction to Gamer Fuel, it led to his death by gaming overdose and everyone involved is devastated.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
CJ died from gamerfuel induced diabetes in 2005.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

curious what the defense is for the orange haze from Los Santos missing, or Vice City lacking any of its neon moodiness and it just looking really saturated now

"lmao no those were bad actually"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my defence is “I don’t give a gently caress”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least the haze in San Andreas was fitting due to all the smog of LA at the time.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

my defence is “I don’t give a gently caress”

I poke my head outta the gutter for one freakin' second and fate shovels takes in my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Playing through SMTV having never played an SMT or Persona in my life before. I hosed around for ages before getting to the first boss and it still felt super overtuned, but hey I beat it on my second attempt so maybe that's just how bosses are.

Then I lost an hour of progress getting ganked by a trash encounter right as I was about to touch a save point. It's been a while since I've played a game without generous checkpointing.

game cool so far

If you get to a frustrating part or just want to grind too, there is a Safety difficulty option you can download for free from the eshop.