Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, that's a strong start IMO.

Also Magu continues to be incredibly wholesome. Good issue this week overall- Sakamoto Days and Mashle are firing on all cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno Jack poo poo about the Ayashimon author’s last work but I’m super onboard to watch this weird hosed up shonen protagonist find a world where he can live his best life (by brutally massacring demons) and also maybe learn how to do all the cool moves his favorite heroes do for real like the Kamehameha and whatever the move is when Kenshiro implodes a guy real good.

Jigokuraku/Hell's Paradise is really loving good and you should give it a read!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad the new series continues the trend of fighting hosed up monsters, even if the yokai bent isn't quite as unique (yet?)

the leads already have the sort of charisma and dynamic it took jigokuraku a bit to work into as well, hope the momentum keeps up

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Jigokuraku/Hell's Paradise is really loving good and you should give it a read!

I just peeped the app and I guess it was never published in Jump or I guess Jump US never published it, so that sucks for my wallet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I just peeped the app and I guess it was never published in Jump or I guess Jump US never published it, so that sucks for my wallet.

it's one of the annoying series where they don't have it in the app due to content, but you can still read it all on the viz site

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it's one of the annoying series where they don't have it in the app due to content, but you can still read it all on the viz site

Do I have to buy it? I’m on the site and it’s only offering a free preview for the first chapter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you only need the $2 sub to read it, but the viz site is as much a piece of crap as their app. searching for a series gets you to the page where you can only see a preview + buy, but if you go to viz.com/shonenjump you can just scroll down the tiles until you see jigokuraku and that takes you where you can read it all.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/hells-paradise-jigokuraku

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yukinobu tatsu drew the ayashimon leads as commemoration of the serialization

https://twitter.com/TatuYukinobu/status/1459919891473993731?s=20

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

dogsicle posted:

you only need the $2 sub to read it, but the viz site is as much a piece of crap as their app. searching for a series gets you to the page where you can only see a preview + buy, but if you go to viz.com/shonenjump you can just scroll down the tiles until you see jigokuraku and that takes you where you can read it all.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/hells-paradise-jigokuraku

Thanks, much appreciated!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

weeks of discussion about how neru and red hood were okay, maybe and then the replacement was dynamite.

loving hell, I'm not gonna emptyquote this.

Ayashimon's first chapter absolutely owned. I'm super in for this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are the other new series coming out over the next few weeks?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kingtheninja posted:

Are the other new series coming out over the next few weeks?

There's 2 more series lined up to start yeah, one next week and another the week after

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-11-07/shonen-jump-launches-3-new-manga-including-new-series-by-hell-paradise-yuji-kaku/.179306

quote:

The magazine will launch Daiki Ihara's Mamore! Shugomaru manga (pictured left at bottom right) in the magazine's 51st issue on November 22. The "school activities gag" manga will center on a strange bodyguard.

The magazine will launch Kagen Ōsu's Doron Dororon manga (pictured right at bottom right) in the 52nd issue on November 29. The magazine teases that the manga will center on defeating evil supernatural yōkai creatures to the delight of the world.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Ayashimon rules.

Magu-chan continues to be wholesome and sweet, but every time I see a panel of Ruru smiling it seems sad too. I’m terrified this girl is going to die at some point. At least we’re far enough in that I’m confident we won’t pull a Naru-Taru.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The little peeks we get of Ruru's past and just how she lives her life make her seem like the poster child of fleeting happiness.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm joining the choir singing Ayashimon praises. Incredible first chapter.

Also it's kinda hilarious that after a a few pages of theory-crafting about what Neru and Red Hood did wrong and what it takes to make it in the Jump, Ayashimon comes and basically checks all the points the thread came up with. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hells' paradise had some absolutely incredibly enemy designs so I've big hopes for all these demons

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Insane chapter 1 theory- crafting (Ayashimon Ed.): Opening narrator text says the mob boss guy died in 199x. This, along with brand recognition, explains why Maruo references part 3 JoJo, Fist of the North Star, Kinnikuman, etc. Says he trained himself to be like a manga protagonist.

Dude's last name is Kaido. And he is the strongest creature so far.

Now, I'm not saying the whole series is a big set up for a long-form One Piece reference, but it'd be funny as hell if it was.

Ayashimon rules.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, this is a real strong first chapter. I can't wait to see this kid pull out incredibly violent versions of famous manga attacks. He's gonna give someone a Kinniku Buster that just blows their whole body apart.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Seeing a lot of yokai based stuff lately, is that the norm or are we in a yokai Renaissance, a yokaissance if you will?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bone Collection and Phantom Seer both had yokai, in general i don't consider their use to necessarily set a series apart from the generic supernatural umbrella of stuff like Demon Slayer/JJK

those latter two seem to be what would fuel this regular churn of series like the two cancelled ones and others like Ayatri, Mitama, Blood Oath...idk was Higuma particularly connected to this stuff?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kids love yokai, is all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I dunno, if you need a bunch of monsters for your manga, there's so many goddamn yokai. They have wild designs that you can play off of and varying personalities and behavior. Just seems like a solid bet for a set of stock character archetypes your readers are gonna be more or less familiar with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of the first manga i read was that yokai mad max short series that akira toriyama drew. it's a fun aesthetic

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So long as GeGeGe no Kitaro gets a show every decade yokai as inspiration probably aren't going anywhere.

But more specifically, the idea of Yokai moonlighting (sunlighting?) as Yakuza just makes sense. They both get paid tribute, have weird rules within their circles, and represent a whole other world most people never see.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can't run out of yokai variety because people keep making up new ones for manga and children's books and such. sometimes urban legends make the transition to yokai, too.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
himbo + ambitious noblewoman is a manga premise as old as time but drat if im not here for it again

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ayashimon is an instant hit. Art style is nice and the main character is a stone cold psycho even by in universe standards and in the stupidest way possible. All the way in on this.

All the beefs are settled with duels! yattaze!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I like Ayashimon and I'm definitely gonna read it every week, not gonna get super hype for it yet. It's only been one chapter, there's plenty of time for the manga to shoot itself in the foot.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: Agreed with what everyone says, it's good.

Elusive Samurai: Thank god the third dude was alive. Also, let's see how Toshiyuki manages to get out of this sticky situation! Well, he probably can, but can he do so with his other 2 companions?????

Mashle: Decent chapter. Guess it's time for Mash to take a brief break so we can get some non-muscle-magic-based-magic fights.

Robocco: Funny chapter but quite a bit is lost on me because I don't know who the celebrity in question is. Still, the Devil Fruit gag got a nice chuckle from me, and the series is carried by how ridiculous it is, anyways.

Sakamoto: Good poo poo as usual, excited to see how Sakamoto evolves his fighting capabilities without returning to Slimkamoto.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jerkface posted:

Ayashimon is an instant hit. Art style is nice and the main character is a stone cold psycho even by in universe standards and in the stupidest way possible. All the way in on this.

All the beefs are settled with duels! yattaze!

All the beefs? Settled with duels?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
ALL THE BEEFS!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Settled with duels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ayashimon did have a way better debut than the last few series but all the references feel a bit like a crutch to me. I hope that's not a recurring thing but it probably will be, considering the protag

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

it's interesting that red hood got replaced with a series that is also meta referencing

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
Dumbish question, but knowing that people don't like where things go in the back of the series and don't like the ending is Naruto worth a read if I'm subscribed to viz (so the financial cost is negligible) and am basically just spending my time on it?

I'm someone that read a very tiny bit when it was still running (mainly just remember up to Kakaishi taking Naruto and his two main pals out training the first time, so pretty early) and catching a few dub episodes on morning telly when stuff like Rock Lee and the sand dude were introduced so that's basically where my knowledge is but I guess having this sub makes me feel like checking it out for some reason since it's something I knew existed at the time but never really engaged with

I know the real answer is that I should go and read One Piece instead since I never watched past finishing Alabasta there but for some reason I wanna ask about Naruto instead

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, taste is subjective, so if there are parts of Naruto you liked and found interesting, you could keep reading. I think it's ending is pretty bad, but then it gets into the question of "Is the ending the sum and culmination and entirety of a manga?"

And even as poo poo got bad for me, there were still some highlights and funny moments now and there, so it wasn't like the series was devoid of entertainment.

I'm not really sure how to quantify whether it's "worth" a read; I loving hated so many aspects of Bleach but I'd still say the time I spent reading, hating, and complaining about the manga was time well spent.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

Dumbish question, but knowing that people don't like where things go in the back of the series and don't like the ending is Naruto worth a read if I'm subscribed to viz (so the financial cost is negligible) and am basically just spending my time on it?

I'm someone that read a very tiny bit when it was still running (mainly just remember up to Kakaishi taking Naruto and his two main pals out training the first time, so pretty early) and catching a few dub episodes on morning telly when stuff like Rock Lee and the sand dude were introduced so that's basically where my knowledge is but I guess having this sub makes me feel like checking it out for some reason since it's something I knew existed at the time but never really engaged with

I know the real answer is that I should go and read One Piece instead since I never watched past finishing Alabasta there but for some reason I wanna ask about Naruto instead

I'd say it's worth the read/watch. I do think the anime is the better experience for Naruto over the manga, with how much the action choreography and ost help it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo pre time skip naruto is mostly good while post time skip is mostly bad

it's prob worth reading just to see how it influenced the genre and it's not like it got as bad as bleach, but that whole last arc was pretty miserable

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I'm joining the choir singing Ayashimon praises. Incredible first chapter.

Also it's kinda hilarious that after a a few pages of theory-crafting about what Neru and Red Hood did wrong and what it takes to make it in the Jump, Ayashimon comes and basically checks all the points the thread came up with. :v:

Well, it doesn't have a solid chapter 2 yet, but it's set up well for it. Just have a quick fight to establish what they'll be like, finish the duel with some success, and have some good character interactions, and we're off to the races.

Everything else, though, it covers. We have a sympathetic lead with clear motives and relatable struggles, a wider goal to contextualize the base level action, and a core dynamic to get us started until a supporting cast can build up. Definitely interested to see where this is going.

On the opposite side, one thing about Neru that the final chapter highlighted was how unfocused it was. You have the protagonist, the girl he's into as a rival, and the school friends in chapter 1. Then they vanish and we kept rotating through new supporting players, with nobody staying long enough to have a clear focus cast. End result is that, when the final chapter comes, nobody's final position has any meaning for the reader, with the only bit that has any potential impact coming from the first chapter. I won't say it tried to do too much, since it hardly did anything, but it did try to juggle too large a cast too early without considering how they'd function in practice. MHA might have Too Many Characters, but at least we get enough of Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki, and All Might to know how they all work.

(Also, PPPPPP continues to suck.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Naruto generally benefits from binge reading, and while the final boss was complete dumb bullshit.

Being able to read that last arc all in one go, and not weekly is a huge benefit to it's pacing.

But yeah, if you have the time I recommend reading it. It's mostly pretty good, outside of an asspull of a final boss.