Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

a cyborg mug posted:

I don’t have the slightest clue of how credit scores work because I don’t live in a hell country like the US of A

Seriously, reading this page is like looking at a bizarre alien script that may also somehow make my brain explode :psyduck:

yea ok posted:

i need someone to drill a hole in the direct center of my skull, letting air hiss out and alleviate pressure, allowing me sweet relief. is that so much to ask?

God I hate that feeling (the pressure that leads to the desire to drill the hole), hope you feel better soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I was homeless for like 5 years when I was in college, never had a credit card, or even a debit card for a lot of that, after I graduated I made some more permanent life changes and accidentally discovered my credit score was, somehow, like 800. I dunno how or why, but it helped when we scraped enough together for a down payment on a lil condo :shrug:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
loving christ has football been hard to follow during this pathetic "salute to service" weekend

I just wanna watch goddamn nfl redzone without being subject to propaganda made by mass murderers

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

loving christ has football been hard to follow during this pathetic "salute to service" weekend

I just wanna watch goddamn nfl redzone without being subject to propaganda made by mass murderers

is this your first weekend watching sports in America?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Barry Bluejeans posted:

cowboys are kicking rear end

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

WatermelonGun posted:

is this your first weekend watching sports in America?

it's always bad but the past couple days have been especially brutal

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
There’s a great bit in Stephen Fry’s Tour of America show or w/e it was called when he visits a high school football game. There’s an Air Force flyby overhead during kickoff and he just looks at he camera, aghast and confused.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/FuPeGPwGKe8

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a college game and one of the biggest rivalries in the country

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Captain Magic posted:

There’s a great bit in Stephen Fry’s Tour of America show or w/e it was called when he visits a high school football game. There’s an Air Force flyby overhead during kickoff and he just looks at he camera, aghast and confused.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/FuPeGPwGKe8

I could watch Stephen Fry looking befuddled at America all day.

In other countries, do they not take their favorite sports as seriously as America does football on the high school and University level? Like in England or Spain are their soccer teams at high schools and colleges that people get super hyped about or is that just an American thing? I would figure everyone is like that because frankly the love of sports seems to be a very human thing - just different sports from culture to culture.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shard posted:

In other countries, do they not take their favorite sports as seriously as America does football on the high school and University level? Like in England or Spain are their soccer teams at high schools and colleges that people get super hyped about or is that just an American thing? I would figure everyone is like that because frankly the love of sports seems to be a very human thing - just different sports from culture to culture.

It's a very American thing. Professional sports are a lot more localised in Europe so most people have a local team they can go support. Going to watch a school team that you don't have a personal connection too would be very weird behaviour.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Shard posted:

the only other comparison I can think of off the top of my head is japan and high school baseball, they go crazy for that poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why would I need some dude from cold rear end island with weird toilets look bemused at USA when I can do it my own dang self? Nah Stephen Fry's cool I guess. I have a limited point of reference.

Anyway, the NHRA season is concluded which means I get to get actual work done instead of loafing around race tracks. After sitting through the rah rah speech at the wrap up party, it really galvanized my desire to really get the network bullshit really lookin good. Its nice not being completely bogged down by managerial nonsense and I can finally work on the stuff I like.

E: jeez weed really kicked in. The AK47 strain is more like E/N strain.

coconono fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 15, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

America’s college sports -> professional sports pipeline is also not a thing in Europe at all. If you’re a hot prospect as a soccer player you join some club’s youth program, so you could be part of Man Utd’s youth academy from like 8 years old, working your way up through the youth teams until you’re good enough to play for their first team

University sports are for the most part* just regular students playing a game they like. The standard isn’t much better than any other amateur team

*Oxford/Cambridge is an exception here in some cases

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just saw this on the archive site of our national broadcaster, thought it was funny, there's a nice little clip as well.

Wrestling Giant Haystacks 1978

quote:

The wrestling villain fans love to hate Giant Haystacks packs out the Lakeland Forum in Enniskillen.

A record crowd of two thousand came to the Lakeland Forum in Enniskillen to see Martin Ruane the English wrestler with parents from Mayo known as Giant Haystacks. Irish Lightweight Champion Jack Flash Shirlow took on Giant Haystacks in a contest that even the referee got caught up in.

At nearly seven feet tall and weighing thirty two stone, it is no wonder that Giant Haystacks reportedly eats six eggs, half a pound of bacon, a loaf of bread and two pints of milk for breakfast.

The scheduled eight round contest was stopped by the referee after three rounds because of a bleeding head wound to Shirlow.

An RTÉ News report broadcast on 15 November 1978. The reporter is Brendan O’Brien.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/1113/1010659-giant-haystacks-in-enniskillen/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

America’s college sports -> professional sports pipeline is also not a thing in Europe at all. If you’re a hot prospect as a soccer player you join some club’s youth program, so you could be part of Man Utd’s youth academy from like 8 years old, working your way up through the youth teams until you’re good enough to play for their first team

University sports are for the most part* just regular students playing a game they like. The standard isn’t much better than any other amateur team

*Oxford/Cambridge is an exception here in some cases

The US pro sports pipeline starts way before college. There was that whole thing with the bullshit high school that got a game on ESPN and it really exposed an ugly truth about youth sports in america: its a ticket out of poverty, and worse yet, exploited by some really awful people. There are parents so desperate for their kids to get a better life they'll send them to these special sports prep schools in hopes they'll get scouted by college teams, get that full ride scholarship and eventually get pro placement. Its speaks very poorly of america, imo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oh yeah I was in no way suggesting that it starts there, just that in Europe there typically isn’t any step in the process that isn’t “be signed by a big club before puberty”. The European model has plenty of scope for abuse as well of course. Just because you’re signed at 8 there’s zero guarantee you won’t be out of the game with no education or prospects at 17.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The Harder They Fall on Netflix is a really fun revisionist Western on Netflix right now and doesn't feel like 2 hours 20 minutes at all, if you're lookin' for some cowboy poo poo rn

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

Everyone, please take a moment to appreciate this fine set of ears.

I love that youtube channel. Everyone should go waste their afternoon watching dogs and cats get groomed.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jiro posted:

I love that youtube channel. Everyone should go waste their afternoon watching dogs and cats get groomed.

Disclaimer for that channel: Be prepared to turn your volume down if you see a husky enter the shot, because they (most of them at least) tend to be quite loud, and returning customer Fredo is LOUD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaBLkXV1FE

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Seems a lot of people didn't care for Last Night in Soho.

A lot of people are wrong.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm playing Judgement and Yagami might be dreamier than Kiryu.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bluedeanie posted:

I watched part of it over a lady's shoulder on a plane. Its pretty wild with no audio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm playing Judgement and Yagami might be dreamier than Kiryu.

Johnny & Associates: Please ensure you put a black bar over Takuya Kimura in any fantasies you have or we will be forced to sue you.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This remaster is a mess but it's been a lot of fun taking over Vice City again

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 17, 2021

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bluedeanie posted:

I can see why people had issues, but I absolutely loved it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Every venture Edgar Wright has made into movies that aren’t with his Spaced crew have seen immense diminishing returns for me so I don’t have a world of faith in this one.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It has something for everyone though. Pretty colors. Cool music. Thrills. Anya Taylor Joy. Frankenstein's Monster. Come one come all

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The job hunt in Indiana is winding down, about time to make a decision. I have three offers so far - Supportive Services for Veteran Families with Volunteers of America, Foster Care Case Manager with The Villages of Indiana and claims processor for Progressive. I think I'm leaning towards the Foster Care case manager.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

The job hunt in Indiana is winding down, about time to make a decision. I have three offers so far - Supportive Services for Veteran Families with Volunteers of America, Foster Care Case Manager with The Villages of Indiana and claims processor for Progressive. I think I'm leaning towards the Foster Care case manager.

I don't think a lot of people would look at that list and go "foster care care manager". You seem like a good egg Shard

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Shard posted:

I'd ask what the average caseload is before taking a CM job, underhiring CM's while drowning them in a massive caseload is depressingly common. I've worked with VoA before and had a good experience but I've never been directly employed by them, only contract stuff so ymmv :shrug:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'd ask what the average caseload is before taking a CM job, underhiring CM's while drowning them in a massive caseload is depressingly common. I've worked with VoA before and had a good experience but I've never been directly employed by them, only contract stuff so ymmv :shrug:

Yes I totally get you on that. I'm currently a case manager for DCFS in LA so I already got a huge caseload.

Soon had third seizure in last three weeks. At doctor now hopefully can find him some kind of preventative meds

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Case Manager Punk

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shard posted:

I believe Villages has an operation near my neck of the woods. If you need cheap food recs for Kokomo or Indy, let me know.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Case Manager Punk

now there's a gimmick people can relate to

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Got my covid booster today. Feel ok - just really tired

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I decided to go with the Volunteers of America job to help homeless veterans. It pays the least of my offers but I think I'll be happiest there. Helping people, getting paid a livable wage. Also my wife got a job with The State of Indiana and she'll have to be on call sometimes at night and weekends but I won't so that'll help so I can care for our kids. Transition from Louisiana to Indiana complete. Mission success.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Happy for you, Shard

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dangerous Person posted:

Happy for you, Shard

Thanks :). It's been a hard 2 years for me and my family but it feels like we're finally seeing light. This place helped me and my family a lot. Besides financial help when I was hit by 2 hurricanes and a lawsuit from a roofer, this place also helped me through a deep depression earlier this year when I had to take medical leave due to self harm thoughts. I say this without a shadow of irony, I love this place and most the folks in it especially in Fight Island. You guys are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I took a job that came with a big pay rise a few months ago and it gives me panic attacks on an almost weekly basis so I fully endorse the idea of not being an idiot like me and going with the job you think will make you happiest