Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

actionjackson posted:

I was thinking about converting my bike to more of a cargo/utility bike and getting this for security

https://www.sherlock.bike/en/

this is not going to help, the bike thieves are quite accustomed to these and airtags and just chop the bike up immediately. even if you convince the police to come help you recover a stolen bike down by the river (police do not waste resources on stolen bikes around here, they just laugh at you if you say you have a tracker and know exactly who stole it), the new handlebar owner will claim he just bought it and refuse to cooperate and the police will do nothing

If you have a not valuable bike and make it difficult to chop with locking wheel lugs and a locking nut on the handlebar they will leave your bike alone because cutting or drilling those out takes all day and is not worth it

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
ride a fixie and maybe they wont steal it, like w manual cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

this is not going to help, the bike thieves are quite accustomed to these and airtags and just chop the bike up immediately. even if you convince the police to come help you recover a stolen bike down by the river (police do not waste resources on stolen bikes around here, they just laugh at you if you say you have a tracker and know exactly who stole it), the new handlebar owner will claim he just bought it and refuse to cooperate and the police will do nothing

If you have a not valuable bike and make it difficult to chop with locking wheel lugs and a locking nut on the handlebar they will leave your bike alone because cutting or drilling those out takes all day and is not worth it

what about where the app will let you know if someone is trying to take it in the first place? I never have my bike locked outside for more than maybe 30-45 minutes.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

actionjackson posted:

what about where the app will let you know if someone is trying to take it in the first place? I never have my bike locked outside for more than maybe 30-45 minutes.

Sure, you can run down to the street and confront the dude as he's riding away on your bike if you want to. I'd recommend a few years of jiu jitsu training beforehand.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Lmao this morning at the idiots in huge clown cars waiting in the Starbucks drive-thru which, if there are more than 3 cars in line, starts to block all the parking.

By the time I've walked in and out to pick up the online order, the line has advanced maybe 1 car???

I can't even imagine how much of a disaster it is the rest of the week but I bike to my local cafe on those days (it's closed on Sunday).

Car brain is terminal.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lil poopendorfer posted:

how far do you travel for groceries? I used to make Costco runs on a bike w a duffel bag and it was unwieldy but manageable for the 3miles. Certainly didn't look very dignified though

About 3 miles there and back. Panniers are a night and day difference in comfort compared to any sort of bag on your body! Highly recommended.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pmcTRILOGY posted:

Lmao this morning at the idiots in huge clown cars waiting in the Starbucks drive-thru which, if there are more than 3 cars in line, starts to block all the parking.

By the time I've walked in and out to pick up the online order, the line has advanced maybe 1 car???

I can't even imagine how much of a disaster it is the rest of the week but I bike to my local cafe on those days (it's closed on Sunday).

Car brain is terminal.

the majority of starbucks revenue in U-S-A is now from drive through orders

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

this is very funny because starbucks doesn't even have good coffee and i thought the whole point of starbucks was to have a pleasant coffee shop experience, not to pick up caffeine on your way to work, but i guess carbrain emissions infect everything

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

pointsofdata posted:

I believe this 100% because of how barren much of the US is, but lol lmao I think I've only ever gone to Starbucks for convenience (e.g., on college campus or walking distance from office).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

vyelkin posted:

this is very funny because starbucks doesn't even have good coffee and i thought the whole point of starbucks was to have a pleasant coffee shop experience, not to pick up caffeine on your way to work, but i guess carbrain emissions infect everything

for most people, the point is to have variously flavored and temperatured sugary milk drinks

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

sugar, caffeine, and car

the american way!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
St Paul has (had?) A Carbucks infamous for dozens of drivers being laughably incompetent at exiting the drivethru.
https://twitter.com/TomBasgen/status/952574922655764480?t=L0xWtdnG512nB6t7SDNSPA&s=19
The location had to install large hiviz polls to discourage drivers from beaching themselves on the curb (and even that didn't stop everyone from driving right into them).

The thing is right at a major intersection, too, frequently causing massive backups because apparently dozens of people just have to get their chain coffee beverage before heading to work.

Employees protested having off-duty police do the traffic control a while ago, shutting down the drivethru. Not sure if that changed back or they found an alternate implementation.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

going inside is almost always faster than drive through, whether that's for fast food, coffee, banking, or the pharmacy. its insane the lengths people will go to avoid walking i guess, as though it's a fuckin marathon to get from a cvs parking lot into the cvs or whatever

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One street here is practically undrivable because a particular restaurant drive-thru is backed into the street at all hours. Everyone complains about it, but not in the context of failed infrastructure -- just that they have to wait in line so long.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it's hilarious to me that every morning i'll see the starbucks line backed up into the turning lane on the nearby stroad. just casually sitting in the middle of a high traffic, high speed roadway every day for the opportunity to spend $6 on a single cup of coffee

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
why not make instant coffee in 30 seconds, hang around the house all morning then walk to work at your leisure

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wouldn't this be a situation where mutual aide would work. You collect all your "antifa" bro's and you show up to the bike's thieves place and at the very least "steal" your bike back, and if the thief want's to get obstinate about it, you beat the poo poo out of him. Yes you actually inflict violence upon the societal leech who has learned there are normally no consequences for his actions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah this seems like a good gadget to have if you are interested in fighting an entire encampment to get your bike back.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
use a thick ulock, dont lock your bike outside overnight, dont lock up anything outside that is worth more than like $2000, dont do vigilante justice on people who are homeless

edit: your porch, your lawn, and your garage are not safe

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Nov 14, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

why not make instant coffee in 30 seconds, hang around the house all morning then walk to work at your leisure

it takes more than 30 seconds to microwave water hot enough for instant coffee! but not that much longer i do 60 seconds in the summer and 77 seconds in the winter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sure, you can run down to the street and confront the dude as he's riding away on your bike if you want to. I'd recommend a few years of jiu jitsu training beforehand.

I wasn't sure at what point you get notified, is it when the bike is moved at all?

Looking around more it looks like two u-locks, one on the back of the frame and back wheel, the other on the front of the frame and the front wheel is the best option.

quote:

locking wheel lugs and a locking nut on the handlebar

where do you find these?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the original recipe for a frappé calls for instant coffee and was invented by leisurely Greeks who love to hang around the house, so this is the authentic experience compared to the American bastardization.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

actionjackson posted:

where do you find these?

https://designbydelta.com/products/hublox-security-skewers

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

the original recipe for a frappé calls for instant coffee and was invented by leisurely Greeks who love to hang around the house, so this is the authentic experience compared to the American bastardization.

Granted, it evolved to sitting in cafes and ordering it then sitting around all day because no one has any jobs or hope of one.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

just want to say today that i hate cars and they suck poo poo

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Hear hear!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wouldn't this be a situation where mutual aide would work. You collect all your "antifa" bro's and you show up to the bike's thieves place and at the very least "steal" your bike back, and if the thief want's to get obstinate about it, you beat the poo poo out of him. Yes you actually inflict violence upon the societal leech who has learned there are normally no consequences for his actions.

thats a lifehack for getting shot immediately

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

This owns. And reminds me of the story of the drivers of the corvette chassis's that are driven in Mexico since a selling point is for all the Corvettes to be "built" in Bowling Green. So capitalism dictates that the mechanicals are all built for cheap in Mexico, then "final assembly" occurs in bowling green where they "legally" become cars. They drive the chassis to a warehouse where they are loaded onto trucks to ship them across the border.

maybe you're thinking of a different car but the corvette is not assembled in mexico and sent for final assembly at bowling green.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been saying this about leaf blowers

https://twitter.com/MikeMcKillen/status/1460345704346525698?s=20

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been saying this about leaf blowers

leaving a pile of leaves on the loving road leads to algal blooms, too. here the city mandates we leave the leafpiles on the edge of the lawn for pickup and will fine you if it's in the road

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

got home from the grocery just now. I have a new stall neighbor.

this stupid monstrosity is twice the size of my Fit. it doesn't even fit in the stall lol, I have like a foot of clearance in front while his rear bumper is 1 inch away from the concrete wall. sparkling and spotless despite the rain and snow we've had this week :pathetic:

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

this stupid monstrosity is twice the size of my Fit. it doesn't even fit in the stall lol, I have like a foot of clearance in front while his rear bumper is 1 inch away from the concrete wall. sparkling and spotless despite the rain and snow we've had this week :pathetic:

I'd bet the interior space is about the same too. Chump doesn't even have ✨magic seats✨

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
would be a real shame if anything happened to that truck

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

backed into the space, natch

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thanks I hate it (and all cars)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It must be such a pain in the rear end to drive and park those things all the time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It must be such a pain in the rear end to drive and park those things all the time.
I wonder why the drivers are constantly irate and take it out on everyone around them.

Cugel the Clever has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there are several instances of this in the verge article about ebike delivery workers posted earlier:

it mostly goes alright for them but it's also very easy to see how someone could get shot or stabbed. one guy was just waving his angle grinder at the bike guys all chasing after him