Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also I kinda liked going to the grocery store every other day or so pre-Covid. Now it sucks because the weekly deals are worse, the grocery store is constantly under stocked , and there’s always a massive line bleeding into the aisles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

relatively recent post, but does anyone have a link to the story about the screaming gamer girlfriend which featured a line to the effect of "I thought she stayed up all night gaming because she was afraid of the sun" or something? I've been having a bad few months (years) headspace wise and that's one of the few things that has really made me laugh in these dark times, I want to save it forever and treasure it like the gem it is.

Is that the one where she screamed so hard she was sick, onto his keyboard? I haven't had any luck finding it unfortunately. It must be in the last thread (r/relationships: i calmly said its temporary (its permanent)) somewhere.

Someone better at programming than me make a script to click through each page and search for keywords. A forums search, if you will

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Also I kinda liked going to the grocery store every other day or so pre-Covid. Now it sucks because the weekly deals are worse, the grocery store is constantly under stocked , and there’s always a massive line bleeding into the aisles.

Yeah same.

And while yes some of the lack of planning came from ADHD, having a scheduled "now you go shopping" part of the day helped organize things too

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

You mean the books where one of the main characters is the goddess of love, who manifests as a 8 year old girl because she enjoys sitting on people's laps?

gently caress David Eddings.

That's at least partially defensible as including aspects of familial love.

Everything to do with the Dryads in his main series is utterly disgusting.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 14, 2021

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Luckily it was my first post in this new thread! Here ya go, Fatkraken.

Had a fight with my (26m) wife (35f), didnt find out what was wrong until i checked the security cameras.

quote:

hey people of reddit, new account here because i dont want my wife to see this. so basically, im writing this because we recently had a fight, the biggest one our marriage has seen. it started on a sunday morning, i was just waking up and my wife was going to sleep after playing video games all night, which has become the norm. anyways, it all started when i heard her coming smashing down the hallway from our living room. this scared me a little but if im being honest that wasnt all bad (i take heavy tranquilisers to be able to sleep through her shounting). as i was saying the smashing wasnt bad because it actually woke me up the problems started when she somehow banged a corner off the door by slamming it open, than huffing down onto the bed. i asked what was up, she ignored me. instead she just said "shut the gently caress up and get ready for work". i was very taken aback by this and just got up like she said. it wasnt until i walked into the computer room that i realised why she was so upset. im sorry if this sounds trolly but its the truth. there was a putrid smell coming from the room and after looking i realised it was because there was throw up all over her keyboard. i was concerned of course when i first saw this. is my wife sick? i thought. i hurried back to the bedroom and asked her. this is when the climax of the fight happened. i walked in, asked her in a worried tone, are you ok? in response i got told to "gently caress off oval office" sorry for the language but thats what she said. i was worried that she was sick, but i didnt want to keep prodding so i left the room. i made my way to work as usual, and on the way there i remembered that i have cameras in the computer room that i use to watch my dog when nobodys home. it keeps recordings of moments of loud noises or motion, so i know it would have caught my wife being sick. anyways, on my lunchbreak i loaded up the app and found the moment it happned, and to be honest with you right now. i was shocked. my wife, after loosing what seemed to be a match of league of legends, screamed at the top of her lungs then kept screaming so hard she threw up. god bless my tranquilisers that i didnt hear this, but i saw the moment before she came thumping down the hallway, and in this moment she was tugging at her hair. she didnt even acknowledge the throw up. she punched her computer off and then made her way down the hallway. im in disbelief honestly, i didnt realise her gaming problem was this bad. she had always told me the long nights of gaming are due to her fear of the sun. i believed her, i didnt know it was because she played until she got so angry she got physically sick. this is where i come to you for advice, where can i possibly go from here. sorry for formatting, am on mobile

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

^ hoooly poo poo

Bug Squash posted:

Everything to do with the Dryads in his main series is utterly disgusting.

Maybe I shouldn't be asking this, but how? I recall reading his Belgariad series when I was about 15-16 years old and kind of enjoying it, though I did realise from what I remembered a couple of years later there was a lot of sexist/racist stereotyping going on in them.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Pope Hilarius II posted:

^ hoooly poo poo

Maybe I shouldn't be asking this, but how? I recall reading his Belgariad series when I was about 15-16 years old and kind of enjoying it, though I did realise from what I remembered a couple of years later there was a lot of sexist/racist stereotyping going on in them.

They are little girls who abscond with travelers to have sex with them. As I recall the grandfather mentions coming by when it's mating season (?) And his daughter comments on it.

Also lots of comments about their legs I think, but maybe that was the love interest, who is also one. Definitely lots about how small she is, so presumably also they are.

I want to say the dryad queen looked like an adult but I don't actually know.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

Agents are GO! posted:

I was actually thinking about that the other day in relation to this thread. It's actually in the first book of The Tamuli, the second trilogy of the Sparhawk books. Which I can never read again without thinking about how Eddings was a child abuser.

Yeah, throw the Eddings couple onto the pile of Creepy Fantasy Authors. Wish I knew about them back when I was a teenager consuming everything they wrote.

This is the original newspaper clipping about the case if you want the details Warning, it’s brutal, elaborate physical abuse.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Evil Willow posted:

I (22m) was worried GF (22f) was cheating so I hid in her coat closet while she was having girls night at her apartment. Her friend found me obviously humiliating me and girlfriend. Is there any way to recover from this?

quote:

I feel Like I deserve some credit because I came clean when I was discovered and didn’t try to lie about what my intentions were
some lies he could have told to get out of this one:
- he was sleep walking
- he's from the future and is trying to avoid running into his past self
- he's the ghost of her boyfriend, who died
- he's planning a surprise party for her, in the closet
- he moved in months ago and she never even noticed so whats the big deal
- OR

quote:

I am a normal person going through a really bad crisis

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yyyyowza.
My (25M) girlfriend (27F) never stops talking about marriage even though I told her I'm not ready yet and I don't know what to do about it.

quote:

TLDR- My girlfriend wants to get married but I don't want to get married till I'm at least 30. She keeps adding pressure on me and idk what to do about it.

My girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years. We're great together and I love her very much, and we talked about getting married eventually. But lately I've been feeling a lot of pressure.

She never stops talking about marriage. Every sentence she says starts with "when we get married" or something along those lines. Her sister recently started calling me "bro in law". Also, for some reason all of our friends seem to think that we're getting married soon... but when I asked my girlfriend about it, she said she doesn't know why they think that.

Its like I'm being pushed by literally everyone to marry her and its freaking me out. She also lowkey already started wedding planning... I didn't even propose yet.

The thing about me is that I have a plan for my life that's pretty set in stone. I made it over 6 years ago long before I even met her (Its a legit plan, I've got it written down and everything). My girl already knows about my life plan, she's seen it a bunch of times already, and she knows that getting married before I turn 30 isn't a part of it. She said multiple times that she's down with my plan and that she thinks its great that I've got my life all figured out... Yet she turns around and keeps adding more pressure on me with the whole marriage thing.

I do wanna marry her... just not right now. I already decided on getting married between the ages of 30-33 and I thought she was ok with that. That's the plan, and every time I drift from my life plan poo poo seems to go south for me.

She keeps bringing up the marriage thing, yet when I ask her "babe you're still ok with waiting right?" she always says the right things "yeah of course, we're already spending the rest of our lives together so I'm not in a hurry" then she turns around and says and does things that make me think she's not ok with waiting.

Idk what to do about it... I could really use advice on how to handle this without hurting her feelings.

Thanks in advance.

edit: First, I wanna thank everyone for the advice. I'm getting a lot of different perspectives and thats why I posted here.

A lot of people are asking why waiting until 30 is important to me. Its important to me for 2 reasons.

1.I feel like I would be in a better position financially speaking.

This might sound a bit superstitious, but every time I drift away from my life plan poo poo goes south for me. I followed my life plan religiously for the past 6 years. I've only drifted away from it twice and both times it backfired heavily. So, for some reason I feel like if I ignore my plan and get married sooner it might end up bad.

Edit 2: my girlfriend and I both agree that we only want 1 kid so we still have plenty of time.

edit 3: Just to clarify, my girlfriend knew about my plan since the start. I told her that I don't plan on getting married till I'm at least 30 about a week into our relationship and she said that she's perfectly fine with that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(Its a legit plan, I've got it written down and everything).

I'm cackling

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brawnfire posted:

You know what I don't think anyone brought up about grocery shopping daily?

In Europe, that's very normal.

It used to be normal everywhere, before refrigeration. Frozen and commercially canned food means you don't need to go everyday, you could choose to buy a week or more at a time. Suburban life where the nearest supermarket is 20 minutes away makes it inconvenient to go every day.

Big supermarkets mostly replacing freestanding butchers, bakers, green grocers, etc., probably contribute too. If you buy your groceries at a Walmart Supercenter you can get everything in one stop at the lowest prices in town, but the entire shopping experience is really unpleasant. You're not going to stand in line for 10 minutes to buy 3 items, you want to make it worth your while.

In north america we've convenienced ourselves to death.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Give me your name!

My trans sister changed her first name... To my name

quote:

My sister is trans and has been in transition for about two years. It's been long and complicated, but we've always been really close as siblings and I have supported her through it all. At the beginning, she wanted to be called Stella which is the first letter of her given name and also the first letter of my name. So, we all embraced her as Stella and it was great.

Last week I logged on to Facebook and saw that her name had changed. To my name. My exact name. I thought it was a prank, or something, but I called her immediately and she was basically like, "Yeah, I really like that name and I think it fits!" No asking if it was okay or saying "gosh I hope you don't mind", just... Total casual oblivion.

My name is REALLY uncommon - it's not Ann, or something. It's not some coincidence. And I asked her if there was something to this and she just sounded like she really didn't get why I was even talking to her about it.

My name is also my brand - I am a relatively well known freelance designer and my name is the business name! So I'm in knee-deep with my name, is what I'm saying.

Then yesterday, I heard from one of her friends that she is planning on formally going through with a legal name change.

I want to support her like I always have. We're so close and I've always been a huge advocate for her. But I am having an INCREDIBLY hard time accepting this. Am I making too big of a deal about it? Can anyone tell me what's going on? Thank you so much.

Edit

Thank you all so much for the advice so far, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I feel a lot less unreasonable. I am going to call her again and invite her over to dinner tomorrow or Friday. I might invite one of our mutual friends who she really respects and tends to listen to when she doesn't listen to me, but I haven't decided yet. I don't want her to feel ambushed. We'll see how that goes - I'll keep you all posted, definitely!

Edit #2

Since a lot of people are saying that using a throwaway doesn't help when my situation is so unique and identifiable by people who actually know me, oh well. I just didn't want people I know looking at my posting history and seeing it there, but if they stumble across this, it happens.

UPDATE

Here's what happened/is happening. I talked to one of our level-headed mutual friends who has been really great at getting through to my sister in the past when I haven't been able to. She told me that the subject has been this HUGE thing in their circle of friends with all these giant group Facebook messages where people were trying to figure out what was going on - several thought the same change was some weird prank or something, like I initially did. The mutual friend informs them all that no, this isn't a joke, so everyone was trying to decide how best to approach it. But so far no one (besides mutual friend, who is the one that told me she was going to go through with a legal name change) had actually talked to my sister about any of it.

So the question then was whether it would be better if her friends talked to her about it (since they could provide an "outsider" non-family perspective) or if it was better for me to do it. After going back and forth about it, we decided that I should do it, so I called my sister and we made plans to get together for dinner the following day, Saturday.

That night (Friday) my sister went out to a Halloween party with some of her friends, and one of them decided that it would be a really great time to confront my sister about the name change and did so by saying completely untrue, inflammatory things about ME (like that I was going to file a restraining order if she took my name, that I was embarrassed about her being trans... all the people who were there and witnessed it tell me it was really, really bad). Mind you I am about 800 years too old for this kind of poo poo.

So my sister calls me, drunk and crying, and she's hardly making any sense and I have NO IDEA what is going on. I go pick her up and get briefed on what happened by someone and my sister is furious at me but then she's also too drunk to really have a meaningful conversation or direct her fury in a constructive way so I get her into the back of my car and she pukes and falls asleep. Ahh, family is great.

I set her up on my couch and spend all night figuring out what exactly I'm going to say. I read through the responses to my original post again and tried to compile the best advice into a concise, meaningful statement against taking my name - I wanted to go the compassionate, reasonable route and not the "I'll sue you!!!" route.

I said, basically: I love you tons and you know that, and I've always supported you through everything, always. My name is my identity and it's important to me... blah blah blah... your identity is important to you... blah blah blah...

She had been listening the whole time, then interrupted me and responded with the following, this is a direct quote: "Wow, butthurt much?"

Yes, that's right. "Wow, butthurt much". Yes, all my years of support and undying love and advocacy and I get a "wow, butthurt much".

So now I am actually pissed and I am slightly less nice and more realistic about the implications that us having the same name would have. She says, "You're making a big deal over nothing." I say, "My identity isn't nothing." It was like a Lifetime Original Movie.

I ask her to tell me why we doesn't think this is a big deal. She says that people have the same name all the time, citing some kids that lived on our block growing up that were both named "Thomas," and so one went by Thomas B. and one went by Thomas K. in school and it wasn't a big deal. I said that isn't the same at all because we are directly related. It went around like this for awhile and I was growing more frustrated and I was worried I was going to say something I would regret, so I had her call a friend to pick her up and get her out of there before I lost it.

I told her I wanted her to really, really think on this decision and if picking my name was really being true to her unique self, and said that although we clearly don't see eye on eye on this right now, please just promise me you won't go through with a legal name change at this point. She rolled her eyes but agreed (we pinky promised, so there's that). But then she said, again, "I don't know why you're making such a big deal about this."

So that was Saturday morning. Sunday morning, I wrote her and reiterated what I had said the day before but also told her that I needed some time to cool off from this whole thing.

A lot of people in my original post responded that they thought that she was playing this off as a means to do something sinister (like steal my so-so credit rating and open so-so bank accounts in my name), or that she is envious that I was born in a female's body and lived the life that she, from her point of view, could have easily had, one that was free from the painful struggles with identity. I definitely do not think the former is true for a multitude of reasons, but I do think that the latter holds a lot more weight than I previously thought. She does see a counselor and I'm sincerely hoping she is talking this out with them. Once I calm down a little bit I may see if she would be interested in having a couple of sessions together. I am hoping that this passes, even though that it is happening at all is very uncharacteristic - she isn't usually this lacking in empathy and clueless-seeming. But, for now, she is not going to legally change her name and that is a small victory and we'll see what happens next.

Thanks again for all the great support and advice in my original post. If people are interested in what happens next, I'll keep you posted.

tl;dr

I was going to talk to my sister, her dramatic drunk friend beat me to it in a spectacular fashion, sister was mad, had talk with sister, sister thought I was "butthurt" and making a big deal about nothing, I need time off from sister to eat ice cream and watch Game of Thrones forever, no real resolution at this point.

loddite
Apr 17, 2012

I wish everyone who dies goes to hell no matter what.

Hughlander posted:

My trans sister changed her first name... To my name

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the OP would be able to win a lawsuit. I mean, poo poo, didn't Beyonce loving trademark her kid's name shortly after birth?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

loddite posted:

some nonsense

Wrong thread.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for wanting a cat from a reputable breeder?

quote:

i, 15m, want a cat from a reputable breeder. in the past ive had awful luck with cats having illnesses slip under the radar or unknown genetic problems. it hurts to keep going through their premature deaths, so this time, i want a cat from a reputable breeder, specifically, a ragdoll.

my family is not very well off, but they suggested it. im fully willing to pay the cost of the kitten for a lifetime, genetically ensured and closed off cat. the cat is around $1,600, which is a lot, but they're a loving breed im willing to splurge on from my savings and the money from my job. i also plan on getting an advance on my christmas and birthday money and using all of it for this cat.

my mom, 42f, says im being unreasonable and to check out the cats she's recommending. they're from an unreputable website, whereas the cat i set up to visit has 30+ confirmed purchases and is registered with tica, the international cat association.

my father, 45m, and grandmother, 73f, are all on board with helping out for this new pet.

tldr: due to past experience, i want a specific cat from a reputable breeder and are willing to pay the hefty cost ($1,600) all on my own. my mother says im being unreasonable and to get a cat from a website that is not reputable. aita for wanting to get the cat from this breeder?

EDIT: INFO- my mom does not live with me, but my dad and grandma do

Total LMAO if you think most breeders do genetic testing. I mean, a few might, but working with a cat rescue has shown me that for many breeders, money is the only thing they focus on, and many cull kittens or queens they no longer intend to breed.

Ragdolls, Scottish folds, American short hairs, all of them have specific genetic issues that crop up from being linebred.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
My BF (27M) “joked” that he’d want me to dress frumpy at the gym when I (26F) said I wanted to get cute outfits to look good when I work out

quote:

I’ve gained a few pandemic pounds and I was talking about how I want to go back to the gym after I buy some cute gym sets (usually just a sports bra and a shaping pair of leggings). He was like “why, who would you wanna dress nice at the gym for?”

And I told him “no one else, but it’s nice to feel good about how I’d look. Not to mention, almost all girls these days get all dressed up and whatnot for the gym.”

I mean, I want to look good to NOT ENTIRELY DESTROY my self esteem while my BF might sneak a quick glance at the other scantily clad gym girls (like most guys tend to do). I told my BF that I’d want to look just as cute as them.

I tell him that it’s unfair he’d get to enjoy the outfits of other girls while I’d be in a frumpy outfit. He’s like “well it’s not like I can tell THEM what to wear.” Like what the actual double standard gently caress??!?!?!? It sounds to me like he’s saying “yeah, I’m agreeing that I’ll sneak glances. But I don’t want other guys to sneak glances at you”.

He’s then like “I’m just kidding, you can wear that if you want”. It’ll probably bother him but it’ll make me feel good AND I know my intention would never be to cheat SO guess what I’m ordering.

Anyway, isn’t this hosed up for me as his GF?? Are other guys like this too??

Like the thought of you taking glances at the nice butts of other girls (because you “can’t tell them what to wear”) is fine but the thought of me wearing a nice gym set because other guys would look at me is no bueno???

TLDR- BF has stupid double standard about me wanting to wear sports bra+leggings gym sets to the gym. This seems entirely unfair and I wanted to get other peoples thoughts and opinions on the matter

Moms extreme efforts to shield me from sexuality and women

quote:

My (16M) mom (36F) is extremely overprotective of me, especially when its comes to things of a sexual nature. To the point of ridiculousness. She seems to have made it her mission to make sure I have as little exposure to women as possible. I'm not exaggerating.

I go to a boys only school which she was very adamant about sending me to. I had no say. Whenever the topic of mixed sex school comes up she always says something about how girls would distract me from my work or some variation on that. Despite the fact a lot of the guys at my school are jerks to me and I often wonder if that doesn't distract me. She's also very strict about curfew and allowing me out the house. I have no opportunities to meet people out of school, and anywhere I go I have to go with my Mom. I haven't been to the beach since I was very very young, too young to actually personally remember, because my Mom says it's not appropriate for me to be in the vicinity of a bunch of half naked women. Applying the same logic she has never let me go to a public pool either.

Here's where her behavior crosses over to extreme. She is very limiting about what I can do and what I have access to. She will do extensive research on any show/movie/game before deciding if it's "suitable for me." Her definition of unsuitable is literally anything with an attractive woman in it.

I am painfully limited as to what stuff I can watch and play. A friend of hers works in IT or something like that, and she got him to put restrictions and blocks on my devices years ago, and it has been done to an insane degree. I'm pretty sure he blocked key words or something because there are some things that won't even allow me to search for them, other things I can search for but they don't turn up or just show me a block screen. I can't get on social media, and half the subs here on reddit are blocked too. But yeah, she got him to practically scrub any visual evidence of women's existence on earth from my devices. It sounds ridiculous but I have tried searching so many different variations of things and I can't even get a simple photo of a woman to show up online. Not celebrities, actresses, anyone. I can't even access clothing sites or search for clothing in general.

Once when we were watching TV together she went to bathroom for a minute and I caught a glimpse of some sitcom type show. From what I briefly saw of it, it seemed like quite a funny show. But when My mom saw it on the TV she immediately decided it was unsuitable, because one of the characters onscreen was a young, attractive woman. She said and I quote "That woman is too much for you, you don't need to be seeing that and getting ideas."

I was never able to figure out what the show was, I really wish I could see that actress again as she was very pretty, but even if I figured out her name I wouldn't be able to find her online, I've tried searching for other celebrities before and I can't access photo's of them, or videos or anything.

As a side note would anyone help me try and identify the show and the actress? Even if I can't see her, or watch her acting I'd still like to know who she is.

Anyway, I have tried every way I can think of or find out about to get past the internet restrictions and there is no hope of disabling /bypassing them. I've wasted many hours trying to figure out how to do that.

My question is, what can I do? How can I improve my situation? I've tried talking with her but she is so stubborn on the subject and I've never made any progress with her, I'm not talking about arguing either, we've had calm, civil discussions about the matter and she never seems to even wonder for a second if she taking things too far. She so confident in how she feels about it all. The thing is I'm 16, I'm very curious about women, I have been for a while, but I'm completely kept in the dark. It's frustrating. What can I do about all this? I don't have friends or family that I can ask about this, so I appreciate any help.

TL;DR: My (16M) mom (36F) is extremely overprotective of me, especially when its comes to things of a sexual nature.She sent me to an all boys school so I "wouldn't get distracted by girls." She researches movies, shows and games before deciding if they are suitable for me, but I'm extremely limited because anything with an attractive female character she will deem unsuitable.

She got her tech buddy to mess the internet and my devices and has scrubbed any visual example of women from my devices. I can't find any pictures or videos online of any women at all, not celebrities, musicians, not anyone. I cant even search clothing or go on clothing sites because I will see women. I'm not allowed out without my mom, and she's never let me go to the beach or a public pool because she doesn't want me seeing half naked women. I've tried reasoning with her but it's no good. What can I do about my situation?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This should qualify as abuse, but religiosity runs pretty deep in America so I have little hope for the OP for two more years.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Listen Mrs Bates is doing her best to raise Norman properly and it’s hard.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At one point he should stare at her and say, "Mother, you are an attractive woman. I cannot unsee you."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Suburban life where the nearest supermarket is 20 minutes away makes it inconvenient to go every day.

Big supermarkets mostly replacing freestanding butchers, bakers, green grocers, etc., probably contribute too. If you buy your groceries at a Walmart Supercenter you can get everything in one stop at the lowest prices in town, but the entire shopping experience is really unpleasant. You're not going to stand in line for 10 minutes to buy 3 items, you want to make it worth your while.

In north america we've convenienced ourselves to death.

In Europe, I regret to inform you, big supermarkets are also very normal.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ragdolls, Scottish folds, American short hairs, all of them have specific genetic issues that crop up from being linebred.

My cat cost me a whole £10 from my local cat shelter and being a generic mutt is unlikely to have inbreeding issues (he's coming up on 10 years old and has been fine so far). :shrug:

(They did upsell me on a £20 cat bed that 'he would totally love and definitely use' has he ever gently caress no he has not he's a cat, his favourite bed is one of my suitcases)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

feedmegin posted:

In Europe, I regret to inform you, big supermarkets are also very normal.

RIP

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for wanting a cat from a reputable breeder?

Total LMAO if you think most breeders do genetic testing. I mean, a few might, but working with a cat rescue has shown me that for many breeders, money is the only thing they focus on, and many cull kittens or queens they no longer intend to breed.

Yeah, fucksake, go to a rescue, pick a big fluffy floppy cat you like, save $1600.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, fucksake, go to a rescue, pick a big fluffy floppy cat you like, save $1600.

Or just wait for one to show up at your house. That's how I got my big fluffy idiot cat. The best cats pick you ime.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Woodchip posted:

But yeah, she got him to practically scrub any visual evidence of women's existence on earth from my devices.

Not even the most ridiculous parental control software will do this. So if he searches "Chancellor of Germany" it blocks everything? The mom's IT buddy should go put google out of business with AI like that.

So I guess it's either fake or the kid needs to be more clever than trying to just put "Tits" in google.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 14, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

At one point he should stare at her and say, "Mother, you are an attractive woman. I cannot unsee you."

This has a lot of potential.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

A lot of those filters are supported by services that boil down to some people trying to view all the porn in the world and list its URLs, so he may just be slightly exaggerating and his mom found has an extra insane filter that includes a lot of celebrities' names or something? But yeah, if we take it at face value what he's describing would require a dedicated server farm to scan and categorize every single image that gets loaded through HTTP and really is not technically plausible.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Woodchip posted:

No mention of a dad, and doing the math she was likely pregnant at 17... It's not him she's trying to protect per say.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

My fatass cat just ran into our house to escape the winter cold and hasn't left. He was chipped, up to date on vaccines and fixed, tried contacting the owners for a whole year and now I'm pretty sure he has squatter's rights. If anything he owes me money.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hughlander posted:

No mention of a dad, and doing the math she was likely pregnant at 17... It's not him she's trying to protect per say.

quote:

My (16M) mom (36F)

She was 20, not 17. Not to say the dad couldn't be much older or any other myriad of awful things.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

She was 20, not 17. Not to say the dad couldn't be much older or any other myriad of awful things.

assuming he's 1 day from 17, and she's 1 day into 36 and a 9 month pregnancy she could have been as young as 17 years 3 months.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wonder how well "I've never seen a woman so I'm gay" would go down

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I mean like. If there was CSA happening, it could have been ongoing, before the age of seventeen. Or this is sex oriented religious abuse. It's hard to tell feom a single post. Does the OP say anything else?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

I mean like. If there was CSA happening, it could have been ongoing, before the age of seventeen. Or this is sex oriented religious abuse. It's hard to tell feom a single post. Does the OP say anything else?

Yep, I mean regardless they both need therapy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

My fatass cat just ran into our house to escape the winter cold and hasn't left. He was chipped, up to date on vaccines and fixed, tried contacting the owners for a whole year and now I'm pretty sure he has squatter's rights. If anything he owes me money.

"Give me your pettings."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Squatters rights means he owns the property now. You owe the cat money.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

Or just wait for one to show up at your house. That's how I got my big fluffy idiot cat. The best cats pick you ime.

This is basically how I've acquired every cat I've ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Luckily it was my first post in this new thread! Here ya go, Fatkraken.

Had a fight with my (26m) wife (35f), didnt find out what was wrong until i checked the security cameras.

thank you, this is now saved on my desktop for quick access whenever I need it