Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to say its really unfair of the artic to be warming faster than my graphs say it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

2.5F since 1992, 1.4C. though I'm not sure how much it's risen since the pre-industrial baseline

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

actionjackson posted:

2.5F since 1992, 1.4C. though I'm not sure how much it's risen since the pre-industrial baseline

Oh duh, maybe I am a kneejerk doomer :(

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

Gee wonder why isn't there a line going past 4 c indicating our current trajectory

Or any projection past 2100

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that graph should really take into account that recent article about how the self-reported carbon emission figures are undercounted across the board by the countries that bother to pretend.

The figure they gave was a probably extremely optimistic 25% so let's move the emissions line up by 25% from starting at 37gt to 46gt.

curious what this would to do projections on temperature increase? What would non carbon emissions converted to carbon equivalents would do?

Let's do just methane. Obviously this isn't a straight perfect scientific comparison but who gives a poo poo anymore.
https://www.science.org/content/article/only-humans-can-create-climate-altering-methane-burns-new-studies-suggest
This article claims 570 million tons of methane released from all sources each year.

https://unece.org/challenge
These guys say methane is 28-34 worse than carbon dioxide over 100 years or 84-86 times worse over 20 years. Lets do the lowest of the 100 year rate to try and crack less pings. 28x.

570 million tons of methane x28 modifier = 15,960,000,000 equivalent tons of Co2. It probably wouldn't be correct to apply this backwards to 1990 like carbon but who cares, it's probably more accurate to our current emissions level (77 Gigatons carbon equivalent) when you figure Actual Emission Carbon + Methane->Carbon.

Well at least there are no more sources of greenhouse gases and I'm an uneducated shitposter so everything i just posted is completely wrong

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I found this: https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/new-report-highlights-alaska%E2%80%99s-last-five-years-dramatic-climate

quote:

It is important to monitor Alaska's changing climate with precision and diligence; the pace of change can be rapid. According to the Fourth National Climate Assessment, Alaska has been warming twice as quickly as the global average since the middle of the 20th century. Alaska is warming faster than any U.S. state. Alaska’s Changing Environment notes that, since 2014, there have been 5 to 30 times more record-high temperatures set than record lows.

On July 4, 2019, all-time temperature records were set in Kenai, Palmer, King Salmon, and Anchorage International Airport. Remarkably, Anchorage hit 90 degrees Fahrenheit; the average summer temperature in Anchorage is normally in the mid-sixties. July 2019 was the hottest month in recorded history for the state. June 2019 was the second warmest on record.

These extremes on land are surpassed by what’s going on in the sea. Alaska’s Changing Environment affirms, “Nothing in the Alaska environment is changing faster than sea ice.” Today, typical summer ice extent on the Chukchi Sea is only 10% of what is was in the early 1980s, and the Beaufort Sea ice-over usually occurs two to three weeks later in the fall than in past decades. In 2018 and 2019, late winter ice coverage in the Bering Sea’s Alaska waters was significantly lower than any winter in the last 170 years. Surface waters along Alaska’s west coast were 4–11ºF warmer than average this summer.
Doesn't seem good

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Did you hear that in twenty years the New York pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities?

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did you hear that in twenty years the New York pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities?

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the Arctic is expected to heat up much faster and further than the global average (while the tropics will heat slower)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's like The Biggest Loser where the people who have the most weight lose sheer pounds way easier than the equator where it's hotter but none of the modeling or math takes into account the temperature influence in the areas where extreme hots/formerly colds that were kept temperate with an interaction that no longer exists

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Nov 14, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im feeling positive about the planet today. i think we got this.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1459909210813067270?s=20

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

many staple foods vanish because of a blight and the world does not take it seriously until it's way too late and the UK decides to respond by locking down most urban areas and then nuking them, in an effort to preserve the much more limited rural population in what will be an almost impossible to feed world. The book opens on this note and it mostly goes downhill from there.

Ah, this is awkward, so, like, this is already occurring just in a different form. But if I speak I will be in big trouble, big trouble, and I don't want to be in big trouble so really I prefer not to speak.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ah, this is awkward, so, like, this is already occurring just in a different form. But if I speak I will be in big trouble, big trouble, and I don't want to be in big trouble so really I prefer not to speak.

:justpost:

if people give you poo poo, so be it. if you eat a sixer, take that time to craft a post so glorious that it lands you another sixer and spend that time grinding up old tires and launching them out of a cannon towards the arctic

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

the temp is up +2.5F in Alaska or +1.4C since '92, the celsius tripped me up as well

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

PM me and I'll post it and get in trouble for you

You can market that as a trouble offset

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

the temp is up +2.5F in Alaska or +1.4C since '92, the celsius tripped me up as well

Wow, sound like we're on a good path, still plenty of runway left. Drill baby, drill!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RIP Syndrome posted:

Or any projection past 2100

Almost nobody currently alive will still be around by then so who cares

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i feel so dumb for buying a new snow blower a couple years ago

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

Buy that new 5000 ton hummer and you can use it to dry it off after you wash it

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

We still have enough winters left to make that not dumb

unless you live in Arizona or something

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can't take it with you

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

your total snow for the year will only go down by 30%. however, it will all come in 3 days, immediately after 2 weeks of record high temps. three week later it will all melt in the 115f heat wave.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
snow covering my lawn today, gonna be 64 on wed….

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

embrace variety

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Almost nobody currently alive will still be around by then so who cares

Quoting to use when the projections of 2030 only run to 2050

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lmao, isn't this her second time posting this? Has no one told her it's making fun of her mom?

Is this actually a cry for help?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I just noticed both my magnolia trees are producing buds right now and popping out new growth.

I uh, don't think they're supposed to be doing that this time of year.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I think we should keep assuming everything is going to be fine and then work backwards to a climate action plan

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I was arguing with someone the other day who swore 121F in Canada is not that bad yet because he remembers it reaching 120 when he was growing up in Alaska.

Alaska's all time high is 100F.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Wisest Moron posted:

I just noticed both my magnolia trees are producing buds right now and popping out new growth.

obviously they are thriving

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Decades posted:

I was arguing with someone the other day who swore 121F in Canada is not that bad yet because he remembers it reaching 120 when he was growing up in Alaska.

Was his last name Titor

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Wisest Moron posted:

We've had azaleas bloom before the new year lol

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Decades posted:

immediately after that heatwave people I work with were racing to normalize it with “well we usually hit 100F every other year or so”

that’s not (well, wasn’t) true but the instinct to normalize things for easier coping is overridingly strong

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

obviously they are thriving

At least I'll get some pretty flowers while the world burns 😍

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:justpost:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/rice-agriculture-feeds-world-climate-change-drought-flood-risk

things MY RICE doesn't like:
- being too hot
- salty soil (remember Sumer!)
- being murked by Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae

quote:

Rice plants become most vulnerable to heat stress during the middle phase of their growth, before they begin building up the meat in their grains. Extreme heat, above 35˚ C, can diminish grain counts in just weeks, or even days. In April in Bangladesh, two consecutive days of 36˚ C destroyed thousands of hectares of rice.

quote:

Salt’s impact is glaringly apparent in the Mekong River Delta. When the river runs low, saltwater from the South China Sea encroaches upstream into the delta, where it can creep into the soils and irrigation canals of the delta’s rice fields.

quote:

The disease, most prevalent in Southeast Asia and rising in Africa, has been reported to have cut rice yields by up to 70 percent in a single season. (...) Most of the genes that help rice combat bacterial blight seem to become less effective when temperatures rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Decades posted:

I know how this works. I just looked up my hometown's all-time high and it was 111F. I totally remember it being 115 once but I was a child and that thermometer was in the direct sun half the day