Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Blunch then Blinner and a Blovie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A Blovie is the perfect end to a date

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

lol Austria is locking down unvaccinated people. If you didn’t get the vaccine, you’re not allowed to leave the house.*

*except for literally dozens of reasons like working wtf

Maybe in the future they can do Crop dusting Style spraying for the inhaled vaccine in Chud areas?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

lol Austria is locking down unvaccinated people. If you didn’t get the vaccine, you’re not allowed to leave the house.*

I live in a US city that did just about the strictest lockdown there was and the size of that was restaurants were closed for a while. Truly brutal.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Platystemon posted:

Even if the full‐length spike protein was somehow a problem, there are alternatives. Pfizer’s vaccine is formally named “BNT162b2”. It codes for the full‐length spike. BNT162b1, in contrast, codes only the tip, which these Swedes say doesn’t have the same effects. BNT162b2 was chosen over BNT162b1 because the former, with a full‐length spike, looked more promising in phase I/II trials, but if the full‐length spike really is a problem, next‐generation vaccine development could reconsider that choice.
Just the tip, huh?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Chard posted:

bong lunch

nothing new my man

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

-m. posted:

Speaking of advice, I bought 20 of the Auras from Home Depot, what's the best way of fastening a better elastic to them? I rotate the Blues on a 2 week rotation, so 5 for week A, 5 for Week B, and want to do the same for these but that elastic feels like it'll snap on the third wear. I bought the Honeywell half mask (8800? the one with the membrane) but haven't worn it due to worry about voice quality on the phone.

i'd try staples. glues might work but could get messy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

you better jib that jab right in my vein

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Wondering if getting monoclonals less than a week after a booster will have an impact on the booster

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Honj Steak posted:

it’s loving stupid culture war bullshit. im all for any and all methods of cajoling/forcing unvaccinated people to get their jab, but the implicit assumption behind this, vaccine passports etc. is that once you get your two jabs its over, take off your mask and suck and gently caress.

there is enough data right now to justify mandating boosters. and in an ideal world, this would not be considered FULLY VACCINATED, it would simply be “you are continuing to do your part but guess what its a virus you may need another.”

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Platystemon posted:

Even if the full‐length spike protein was somehow a problem, there are alternatives. Pfizer’s vaccine is formally named “BNT162b2”. It codes for the full‐length spike. BNT162b1, in contrast, codes only the tip, which these Swedes say doesn’t have the same effects. BNT162b2 was chosen over BNT162b1 because the former, with a full‐length spike, looked more promising in phase I/II trials, but if the full‐length spike really is a problem, next‐generation vaccine development could reconsider that choice.

there will never be a reformulated booster or vaccine. it's clear our approval apparatus is woefully out of date and incompetent at getting new boosters through trials and in arms in a timely enough manner. and our leaders are incompetent at getting approved boosters into arms

this first round of boosters will be the one and only--it will be lucky to see 20% of adults getting it. in march next year, when breakthroughs are on the rise or even an escape variant is circulating, fauci and biden are just going to say "ok we're done paying for boosters and shots, now just get your doctor to prescribe a dose if you want one... pay for it yourself. the pandemic is over"

gonna have a giant LMAO too if china eventually gives up on mRNA for covid and disallows foreign travelers from coming into the country with it. by next year they'll probably be widely deploying the mucosal aerosol vaccines that actually give sterilizing immunity and control the pandemic. the americans will be too proud to abandon mRNA shots in arms lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Why Am I So Tired posted:

On a bad day I just think Republicans will call the bodies weak and Democrats will call the bodies Republicans.

lol this is perfect

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

:blessed:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
sometimes its ok to meet your heroes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"COVID IS STORED IN THE BALLS, FOOL! AND I ATE 'EM!"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I have fond memories of Mr T and I think Conan O'Brien hanging out and clearly getting high

its not this video but lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHtf0fpgcbk

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrpPaNm8yw

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/new-covid-rules-for-indoor-venues-on-the-way-governor-says/

quote:

DENVER (KDVR) — Gov. Jared Polis says an announcement is coming soon about COVID restrictions for the state’s large indoor venues.

Polis is warning Coloradans that the state is at a critical moment in the pandemic, saying at a press briefing Friday that 1 in every 48 Coloradans is infected with COVID-19, according to the latest modeling report.
:eyepop:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
been thinking of moving to CO next year, hopefully this will help with house prices

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brugroffil posted:

Wondering if getting monoclonals less than a week after a booster will have an impact on the booster

Booster takes 3-4 weeks to build up antibodies in your system

So yeah, booster will be ineffective

However - after taking Regeneron you'll have at least 8 months of protection against infection at 80% efficacy:

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/45178129/regeneron-cocktail-may-offer-protection-to-immunocompromised

quote:

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals produces the cocktail, which has been shown to reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection by more than 80 percent for more than eight months.

Dr. Bill Petri, one of the leaders of the researchers testing the cocktail, says he was surprised by the durability of the protection.

“The significance of the finding is that the antibody cocktail can prevent COVID-19 in immunocompromised individuals whom we know sometimes fail to respond to the vaccine,” said Petri.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

finally joined the max titers club

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao how both the FDA/CDC continue to drag their feet through multiple panels and boards instead of making rapid command decisions like in Israel.

Do you really need to "wait for the science" when other countries already had a massive amount of evidence to support both booster shots and mix + match?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

king

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

https://twitter.com/Orla_Hegarty/status/1459614891627663361

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Why the Comrade Xi strategy was so successful?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

looks like the STD map from the Lost Children of Rockdale County

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

all those kids were just suckin and fuckin and then that one group to the side lol

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hmmm…

*takes off cloth mask, sips coffee, breathes deeply, puts mask back on*

interesting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hello new decor for my cubicle

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RepSylviaGarcia/status/1459994711654027266

Air must not smell sweet today

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ok goons, COVID SIMULATOR variant 11 is now live to download!

Building a better worker schedule system got me thinking about different things the player can do to prevent covid (if thats the player's goal). There are some (relatively) easy things I could do to improve the system

(I know some of you already saw this gif)

I added the ability to have 2 week quarantines when a worker shows symptoms. I have also allowed you to EDIT he schedule live was the game happens, in case you want to change it for some reason. I've also added both mask and vaccine mandates - which might cause protests on one side or the other of the in game factions.

I think I want to spend the next few weeks tidying up the simulator and finishing off what i had as my "base vision" for this little project. It's already evolved FAR beyond the scope of what I had first written out: workers walking around and getting infected at realistic rates. I'd like to make the game into a nice tight package in its current form, maybe consider putting on steam for free or cheap. From THERE I'll move into the more advanced features we've talked about in this thread IF it gets any interest - otherwise I'd like to make sure the simulator is as solid as possible in current form if thats as far as this ride goes.

GET IT FREE AT: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

UPDATE LOG: https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator/devlog/314637/variant-11-coming-at-ya

MY TWITTER: https://twitter.com/ColdRice_Dev

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

etalian posted:

Why the Comrade Xi strategy was so successful?

Makes sense. Contact tracing seems to be far more effective in understanding the disease after the fact; not in stopping a covid outbreak. Even with perfect vision into everyone's precise movements, we're on to secondary and tertiary infections in the cluster by the time the primary infection is even identified and reported

Assuming the primary infection is ever caught, that is. even US epidemiologists were trying to get anyone to listen about this all the way back in Jan 2020 -- everyone went with a symptomatic identification model (headache, fever, can't smell) and whenever anyone mentioned asymptomatic spread they were at best ignored (and often laughed at).

If you can't do regular testing of an entire population, and you can't contact trace faster than the virus infects? Lock down the entire loving city.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1459987636366491655?t=LWTsL-tFQc1AgYU6sS5W4w&s=19

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/CBSSunday/status/1459905882704302086

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

quote:

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals produces the cocktail, which has been shown to reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection by more than 80 percent for more than eight months.

Dr. Bill Petri, one of the leaders of the researchers testing the cocktail, says he was surprised by the durability of the protection.

“The significance of the finding is that the antibody cocktail can prevent COVID-19 in immunocompromised individuals whom we know sometimes fail to respond to the vaccine,” said Petri.

The extent to which the CDC/FDA are going to drag their loving heels on this... if you thought the vaccine stuff was bad. I should be asking around for some kind of trial because that's the only way I'll get it while it still matters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Hello new decor for my cubicle

Even more fun if you are in a return to work ASAP lovely company.

Time to become the next COV19 cluster!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

etalian posted:

lmao how both the FDA/CDC continue to drag their feet through multiple panels and boards instead of making rapid command decisions like in Israel.

Do you really need to "wait for the science" when other countries already had a massive amount of evidence to support both booster shots and mix + match?

nonenglish preprint is a new tactic for trying to fake things

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

Even more fun if you are in a return to work ASAP lovely company.

Time to become the next COV19 cluster!

Just completed week 2 of return to work, immediately after someone spent a week on oxygen due to COVID

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rescue Toaster posted:

The extent to which the CDC/FDA are going to drag their loving heels on this... if you thought the vaccine stuff was bad. I should be asking around for some kind of trial because that's the only way I'll get it while it still matters.

in Florida you can just claim to be a close contact and walk into a Regeneron clinic

might as well just call around wherever you are and try that - I'm sure requirements vary by state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My work team just cancelled our Xmas lunch. I wasn't going anyway but I'm glad those 80 people won't be sitting in a hotel restaurant and then sinking a flotilla of pints while coughing all over each other, smack bang in the middle of Irelands COVID bonanza.

The word from the Government is "pls stop going out uwu :ohdear:" . No suggestions of introducing lockdowns tho