Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

WRT the Integra, I was never into the original one back in the day so to my completely unbiased eyes the new one just looks too huge and heavy to occupy the same spot imo.

I was very into the 90s Integra but they just can't build that car anymore. I'm not sure that original spot even exists in today's market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Its a shame that the insight has such better body lines

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I was very into the 90s Integra but they just can't build that car anymore. I'm not sure that original spot even exists in today's market.

The original spot was 'bigger than a Civic but smaller than an Accord'

Sportiness (or lack thereof) was all about trim level

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Godzilla07 posted:

The most interesting part of the Grandeur EV concept has been the public reaction. It went viral outside of the car world!

It's also interesting that mostly futuristic concepts are the ones that gain traction up until now - retro EV's tho really seem to be hitting it off not just inside car people circles instead the last year or two.

Retro styled EV might actually be a sales winner?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
They can build that car again, but they won't because they have forgotten how to. What "forgotten" means here can be debated.

Meanwhile classic Integras will continue climbing into six figures.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Well it still isn't a good looking car but this certainly helps the cause.

https://twitter.com/stickydiljoe/status/1459418989935816704?t=nni1OKpDfATe51SqiCWftQ&s=19

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I actually like the new Integra, and I might end up getting one if I can find it for MSRP.

I would like a CTR but I'm not paying fifty loving thousand dollars for one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's also interesting that mostly futuristic concepts are the ones that gain traction up until now - retro EV's tho really seem to be hitting it off not just inside car people circles instead the last year or two.

It's time for Millennial nostalgia.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

It's time for Millennial nostalgia.

Where you been gramps that poo poo has been lit for the last 3~ years.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^pwned that n00b hardcore

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Where you been gramps that poo poo has been lit for the last 3~ years.

Yes but in terms of new cars?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For real though, I mean the Supra seems to be that. I know the car is much older than Fast & Furious, but drat if that wasn't an inspiration for a generation. If I wasn't saddled with a shitload of student debt and in the market for an automatic coupe I definitely would've considered one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tbh the supra is my favourite modern bmw

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

Yes but in terms of new cars?

You could argue that the Integra coming back, and the Supra being a thing again as trying to grasp the burgeoning millennial nostalgia market, yeah. Don't know if I count the new NSX but that too is a failed revival.

Lamborghini brought Countach back as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Can’t wait to see how automakers will pander to us when we’re 50.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

They'll still be building cars for the 3 boomers left alive with enough money to afford them.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
People in their 20s mostly don’t give a poo poo about cars, and it’s why Tesla won so many young people over. The idea of a giant cell phone on wheels is appealing because the goal is to avoid actually driving as much as possible and cram as much tech as possible

The 80s boxy trend is for the elder millennials who are hitting middle management, not for my age group where most of us realize that even owning a house is not gonna be possible

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dk2m posted:

People in their 20s mostly don’t give a poo poo about cars, and it’s why Tesla won so many young people over. The idea of a giant cell phone on wheels is appealing because the goal is to avoid actually driving as much as possible and cram as much tech as possible

The 80s boxy trend is for the elder millennials who are hitting middle management, not for my age group where most of us realize that even owning a house is not gonna be possible

The fact that Tesla has won so many young people over illustrates that people in their 20s care plenty about cars, new and different (at the time) cars like Tesla. Tesla is a car, usually bought by alternative boomers or older millennials that can afford the things though, not by 20 sometimes. I also disagree a ton with the whole 'cell phone but as a car' thing as being a thing people want to buy, I'm certain that's companies' excuse to cheaply try to differentiate themselves from everyone else. Every care today is safe, efficient and reliable compared to even 10 years ago. What better way to stand out then replacing all the expensive to manufacturer, bespoke parts (gauge clusters, physical knobs and buttons) with some inexpensive LCDs programmed by the lowest bidder? Claim it's what customers want as a way to retroactively justify it, pump up profits margins yet again, badda bing. A tale as old as time. Yesterdays horsepower numbers, cylinder count and amount of doors has turned into effort to differentiate this silver tall-blob from that other silver tall blob by software features and 'how big the screens are' because what the hell else are they supposed to try to sell?

"Kids today" lust after cars their parents had just like the generations before. Now though that means 80s and 90s cars, Toyota pickups, Buick LeSabers, Civics and Integras, anything that doesn't look like everything new. Get yourself a square-bodied wagon or van and watch the young eyes dart your direction. Then again I'm speaking as a close-to-40 dude that literally caters to selling 80s and 90s vehicles to people and has had a remarkably large number of 20 year olds as buyers so of course I'm biased in my outlook. I just don't think generations are really any different from each other fundamentally, just the window dressing changes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

"Kids today" lust after cars their parents had just like the generations before. Now though that means 80s and 90s cars, Toyota pickups, Buick LeSabers, Civics and Integras, anything that doesn't look like everything new. Get yourself a square-bodied wagon or van and watch the young eyes dart your direction. Then again I'm speaking as a close-to-40 dude that literally caters to selling 80s and 90s vehicles to people and has had a remarkably large number of 20 year olds as buyers so of course I'm biased in my outlook.

As someone who's actually in his 20s, this is hilariously unrepresentative. dk2m is much closer to the truth. Most of my friends either don't have cars at all, or just have lovely base model economy cars because that's what they can afford or are all they are willing to pay for. And personally, I don't give a poo poo about what my parents drove, or old poo poo in general. I lust after whatever gives me the biggest bang for buck performance and a stick.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 14, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I lust after whatever gives me the biggest bang for buck performance and a stick.

Now THAT'S hilariously unrepresentative.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

During the video they mention the c pillar and a pillar width, window size, etc. When you think about it these retro styles being mass produced has a huge roadblock in the form of crash physics and safety standards.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

As someone who's actually in his 20s, this is hilariously unrepresentative. dk2m is much closer to the truth. Most of my friends either don't have cars at all, or just have lovely base model economy cars because that's what they can afford or are all they are willing to pay for. And personally, I don't give a poo poo about what my parents drove, or old poo poo in general. I lust after whatever gives me the biggest bang for buck performance and a stick.

As someone in his early 30s, this will change. In my early 20s I had whatever I could afford (which wasn't much), including at one point a $500 minivan. Then I broke into the "making real money" part of my career in my late 20s and started buying cars left and right. If you asked 25 year old me to guess what 30 year old me would be driving, I would have been extremely wrong.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Classic Prius

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw a new Mark V Supra yesterday that was wrapped to look like Brian’s orange Mark IV from The Fast and the Furious.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I saw a new Mark V Supra yesterday that was wrapped to look like Brian’s orange Mark IV from The Fast and the Furious.

This would make me absolutely furious very fast.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sab669 posted:

Now THAT'S hilariously unrepresentative.

I like to think that there was some Mercedes product guy trying to figure out who the mid 30s guy buying an E-class wagon was.

KillHour posted:

As someone in his early 30s, this will change. In my early 20s I had whatever I could afford (which wasn't much), including at one point a $500 minivan. Then I broke into the "making real money" part of my career in my late 20s and started buying cars left and right. If you asked 25 year old me to guess what 30 year old me would be driving, I would have been extremely wrong.

Funny, this went the other way for me. When I was a 10/12 I couldn't wait to drive a brand new 911. Now that I can afford a new 911, I've come to the realization that cars are dumb depreciating money pits and I fantasize about our next car being a Land Cruiser/Lexus/4Runner.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Funny, this went the other way for me.

Same. I churned through north of 50 cars before I was 25.
For almost two years in my late 20s I didn't even own a car.

Now in my 30s all I lust for is something quiet, comfortable, cargo room, with good handling, decent power and brakes. Basically a wagon. Had a Gen2 Volt for a while and it fit the bill.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Funny, this went the other way for me. When I was a 10/12 I couldn't wait to drive a brand new 911. Now that I can afford a new 911, I've come to the realization that cars are dumb depreciating money pits and I fantasize about our next car being a Land Cruiser/Lexus/4Runner.

The part that you're missing is money is actually the thing that's dumb and only exists for me to spend it on cars and food.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KakerMix posted:

They can build that car again, but they won't because they have forgotten how to. What "forgotten" means here can be debated.

Meanwhile classic Integras will continue climbing into six figures.

Yeah, I refuse to accept that they 'cant' make cars like this any more.

the 86 is evidence that you can make a compromised car NVH/comfort wise that is just focused on driving performance.

of course its going to be compromised by safety standards and wont be a 1100kg DC2 remake but i just dont buy that we cant get a revvy motor and a manual gearbox with decent suspension.

they just dont want to make them.

gently caress it makes me miss my 180SX though :(

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Laserface posted:

Yeah, I refuse to accept that they 'cant' make cars like this any more.

the 86 is evidence that you can make a compromised car NVH/comfort wise that is just focused on driving performance.

of course its going to be compromised by safety standards and wont be a 1100kg DC2 remake but i just dont buy that we cant get a revvy motor and a manual gearbox with decent suspension.

they just dont want to make them.

gently caress it makes me miss my 180SX though :(

Yeah because as much as everyone here says they'd buy one if they actually DID make one they'd sell like 100, and the profit margins would be nothing compared to a generic SUV or feature-loaded luxury-mobile. Hell they'd probably even lose money selling them, small cheap cars just aren't profitable anymore even in crazy huge sales volumes due to crash and emissions requirements, that's even more-so the case for niche market performance versions of small cheap cars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They should've made the Integra based on the Fit :colbert:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

cursedshitbox posted:

Same. I churned through north of 50 cars before I was 25.
For almost two years in my late 20s I didn't even own a car.

Now in my 30s all I lust for is something quiet, comfortable, cargo room, with good handling, decent power and brakes. Basically a wagon. Had a Gen2 Volt for a while and it fit the bill.

For me, there's something really appealing about the Land Cruiser/4Runner/GX/LX being built to have 25 year (iirc) service lives. I think I might also have some German car maintenance fatigue setting in: do I really need to spend this much money on oil changes for cars that primarily get us to work/back?

KillHour posted:

The part that you're missing is money is actually the thing that's dumb and only exists for me to spend it on cars and food.

I just want to retire early. :shrug:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

They should've made the Integra based on the Fit :colbert:

They should just sell the new Fit in the US. It's the cutest little space ship with a hybrid drivetrain.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

We don’t necessarily have to get into this here if it’s not apropos, but aren’t you a guy that said he doesn’t prioritize retirement savings much? Perhaps I’m mistaken. I am curious though how much you weigh your retirement goals, target age etc. versus your vehicle spend per year.

Maybe you can comfortably and responsibly spend a lot on both vehicles and retirement goals, which is very dope.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

For me, there's something really appealing about the Land Cruiser/4Runner/GX/LX being built to have 25 year (iirc) service lives. I think I might also have some German car maintenance fatigue setting in: do I really need to spend this much money on oil changes for cars that primarily get us to work/back?

I thought about a GX for a second while searching for my current car, but those fuel costs were intolerable for me for the sort of driving I do.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

We don’t necessarily have to get into this here if it’s not apropos, but aren’t you a guy that said he doesn’t prioritize retirement savings much? Perhaps I’m mistaken. I am curious though how much you weigh your retirement goals, target age etc. versus your vehicle spend per year.

Maybe you can comfortably and responsibly spend a lot on both vehicles and retirement goals, which is very dope.

I max out my IRA every year and put a significant amount (6%) into my 401k. That being said, the only way I'd ever retire is if I'm a billionaire because I will literally never be satisfied otherwise. If I get to the point where I'm unable to work due to health reasons, I'll probably gently caress off to the Philippians and blow all my money drinking myself to death. I'm probably going to die in a fiery wreck when I'm forty or something.

Growing old in a cul de sac and polishing my Corvette between golf trips isn't appealing to me.

Edit: I don't recommend emulating me. I'm very stupid. But it's worked out okay so far.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 15, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-luxury-vehicle-registrations-us-mercedes-benz/

quote:

Even as other automakers struggle to meet demand, registrations for Teslas have risen 76 percent when compared against the same time period a year ago, according to Experian (via Automotive News, paid subscription required). With over 230,000 vehicles registered, America's sole EV-only manufacturer has jumped ahead of Mercedes-Benz and is closing in on Lexus and BMW, who are the two leaders in luxury vehicle registrations in the U.S.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My lifestyle would definitely work with a Tesla right now. I have a garage spot in a condo building and I bet I could get a HV charger built for around $1000. The price point is just too high still, they ran out of tax credits and the decent long range models are all $55-60k+. Simply cannot justify it when my gas engine car still works great, it's just a bit old.

Plus, full self driving is god drat $10k or you pay the subscription price.

Regardless they are selling like hotcakes here in Chicago for sure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I max out my IRA every year and put a significant amount (6%) into my 401k. That being said, the only way I'd ever retire is if I'm a billionaire because I will literally never be satisfied otherwise. If I get to the point where I'm unable to work due to health reasons, I'll probably gently caress off to the Philippians and blow all my money drinking myself to death. I'm probably going to die in a fiery wreck when I'm forty or something.

Growing old in a cul de sac and polishing my Corvette between golf trips isn't appealing to me.

Edit: I don't recommend emulating me. I'm very stupid. But it's worked out okay so far.

You don't have to rot in some cul-de-sac in Florida if you don't want to :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Laserface posted:

but i just dont buy that we cant get a revvy motor and a manual gearbox with decent suspension.

It's the Civic Si in hatch form. It has all those things. :confused: