Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Patware posted:

you're not powerful enough anymore namtab

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i'm gonna rebuy my hemborger gangtag

e: there we go, and I only hosed it up once

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 15, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the jp voice acting in all of the shows and games people say they dub is better for. i am your nightmare

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I cleansed myself of dub AIDS long ago. However there are some games I will play dubbed instead. Scared?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dubs are for games and subs are for anime.

And that's just obvious.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
dubbed cowboy bebop and School Rumble over subs every day

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
School Rumble is insanely overpowered when it comes to dubs

Shions of Qud

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's something that really bugs me about every Atlus dub and it has nothing to do with the voice actors

it's like they're still directing it in the style they did way back for disgaea when doing like a really good produced english voice track for a game was super new but they never evolved past coaching for Big Ham Anime Weeb Voice instead of even being a little bit naturalistic

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

English speakers using honorifics. ftw or ftl?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
:nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 15, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

marking all of this down as a vote for ftl

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Patware posted:

there's something that really bugs me about every Atlus dub and it has nothing to do with the voice actors

it's like they're still directing it in the style they did way back for disgaea when doing like a really good produced english voice track for a game was super new but they never evolved past coaching for Big Ham Anime Weeb Voice instead of even being a little bit naturalistic

naturalism is overrated

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, just say "Senpai," who cares, it sounds better than attempts to write around it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arist posted:

Also, just say "Senpai," who cares, it sounds better than attempts to write around it

I will allow this compromise even if its better to not use any word imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Nah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are plenty of ways to write around senpai that don't come off clunky, it just requires the understanding that you don't have to be word for word with translating the script and can alter lines a bit as long as it gets across the same meaning

that said if your tl choice is something like changing "oneesama" to "sissy", or "niinii" to "big brudder", that's where it's time to give up

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

honorifics in dubs are cursed.

Or when Japanese characters in other media use them even though they are speaking in english. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeldEvxTNWQ&t=85s

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

Or when Japanese characters in other media use them even though they are speaking in english. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeldEvxTNWQ&t=85s

This is definitely the most cursed implementation

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Colonel posted:

that said if your tl choice is something like changing "oneesama" to "sissy", or "niinii" to "big brudder", that's where it's time to give up log on twitter and declare you have Solved Translation

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

lunar detritus posted:

I forgot about this lol, that's literal TV-N logic to have her say it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Arist posted:

naturalism is overrated

you'll notice i said 'even a little bit' as opposed to 'completely'. i would like to feel like i'm listening to actors acting in a dub, not Dubbers Dubbing It Up.

this is separate to me from honorifics/etc which i think should be left in if we're dealing with a particularly Japanese story, but also for gently caress's sake just remove them completely otherwise and don't say 'Mr./Miss' every single time someone is a '-san' unless you want someone to come off as a dork like the dandadan guy

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For fan translations doing it for free, i think leaving honorifics is fine since thinking about how to write around changes with them and so on while being in character can be a lot of work.

Professional ones outside of a specifically Japanese setting are usually lazy, but inside of that are fine.

But considering the aforementioned dumb stuff like big brudder maybe it's for the best that sometimes people don't try.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
If we're genuinely gonna chat about honorifics in translations then in most cases, yes, you absolutely can toss them out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sometimes it just can't be helped

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Someone get Natsuki Subaru a seat

Namtab posted:

you dumb motherfucker, your days in adtrw are numbered!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honorifics are something that wouldn't die even if you killed them. Even so....a certain part of speech....

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a certain part of speech?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sou desu ne...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

IIRC, the modern Atlus dubs are usually directed by someone who is ESL and for some reason they insist on weird pronunciations of Japanese names and the ham emoting.

I find honorifics usually awkward in the actual dub, but leaving them in subtitles for the Japanese voices is fine (and probably preferred.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Patware posted:

Idk, when it comes to like the Persona games at least I’ve seen even the clips I’ve seen make it look like the Japanese voice actors are told to use their “anime voices” too cause for instance I really liked Rise’s JP actress in the Yakuza games but her performance in Persona 4 is pretty infamous.