Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Are people using their Switch OLED in Vivid or Standard mode? Vivid makes colors really pop but it feels like it must be distorting the "real" colors.

Reality is what you perceive it as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Use whichever you prefer :)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 recently and got to basement 2 and genuinely have no idea what the fuss was about re: the floating duck ring or the boss, it was easy as poo poo to the point of almost being boring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tender Bender posted:

Are people using their Switch OLED in Vivid or Standard mode? Vivid makes colors really pop but it feels like it must be distorting the "real" colors.

wyh would yo u use the mode that messes up the color reproduction wtf are you buying an oled screen for??

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Setting my TV to vivid while playing spooky games and pretending I'm Riddick and can see the monsters in the dark

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I've been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 recently and got to basement 2 and genuinely have no idea what the fuss was about re: the floating duck ring or the boss, it was easy as poo poo to the point of almost being boring

yeah after all the hype i was prepared for some real trash but it was fine. i thought the museum floor was worse, it's so disappointingly empty

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

wyh would yo u use the mode that messes up the color reproduction wtf are you buying an oled screen for??

apparently the OLED switch’s vivid mode isn’t like a tv’s vivid mode, the Standard mode actually tones down the display’s default color output so it looks more like a normal LCD screen

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Oxxidation posted:

apparently the OLED switch’s vivid mode isn’t like a tv’s vivid mode, the Standard mode actually tones down the display’s default color output so it looks more like a normal LCD screen

that sounds like complete nonsense actually.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Oxxidation posted:

This seems to match my observations, for at least games initially made for CRTs.
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1456941289098801155

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
im going to soptp this here and tell you straight up that the standard mode is more accurate and the vivid mode is literally a saturation bump. please engage you rbrains in the future.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

im going to soptp this here and tell you straight up that the standard mode is more accurate and the vivid mode is literally a saturation bump. please engage you rbrains in the future.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2021/ask-the-developer-vol-2-nintendo-switch-oled-model-part-2/

quote:

Yamashita: Also, even though the colors have gotten more vivid with the OLED display, some customers may feel like the colors look too vivid. Taking that into consideration, we made it so that the player can select a standard color mode, to make it look like the conventional LCD display. If you prefer the vivid colors of the OLED display, you can keep it in the vibrant color mode that is default out of the box.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Stux posted:

I'm one of the developers of the Doom 64 rerelease. I know how the game is supposed to look. :P

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rocket Pan posted:

I'm one of the developers of the Doom 64 rerelease. I know how the game is supposed to look. :P

look, stux knows better than you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

thats marketing

Rocket Pan posted:

interesitng so youre saying the reviews thaht have measured the colors and brightness are incorrect when tehy say that? Thats cool lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rocket Pan posted:

Lol owned

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
standard

a bit out but pretty close

vivid

oops!

anynwya if you would like to explain how your special dev eyes invalidate this go ahead :D

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Challenge made.

Rocket Pan, thoughts?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I don't go for that nerd poo poo, we just compare the game to how it looks on a N64. Maybe it's "wrong" somewhere, but ultimately it doesn't matter; unless you're doing a AAA big budget Sony movie-venture title, you don't typically make a game with a reference monitor, you just use what everyone else has in their living room.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Rocket Pan posted:

I don't go for that nerd poo poo, we just compare the game to how it looks on a N64. Maybe it's "wrong" somewhere, but ultimately it doesn't matter; unless you're doing a AAA big budget Sony movie-venture title, you don't typically make a game with a reference monitor, you just use what everyone else has in their living room.

Barreft posted:

look, stux knows better than you

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Stux posted:

Ok good, we were afraid you'd keep going

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Stux posted:

standard

vivid

oops!

anynwya if you would like to explain how your special dev eyes invalidate this go ahead :D

can you post the link id like to read the review it sounds very in depth

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The diagrams only prove Yamashita's point. The vivid mode maps the colours onto the entire colour gamut of the OLED which is much wider than the sRGB colour profile, hence why it looks more vibrant. The standard mode clamps the colours to the sRGB colour gamut which is what the games were designed for, so it should look more-or-less "correct". It's not just a saturation boost though, it's an entirely different colour management profile and affects the actual number of colours that the screen will display. On one hand, the standard mode is the "correct" colour profile to display the games as they were designed, but on the other hand it pretty heavily kneecaps one of the major "wow" factors of the OLED screen, so I understand why Nintendo would hesitate to make that default.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I support you Stux but you poo poo on The United States, rightfully for just posting videos and being a robot with no opinions.

So help us understand the SWOLED better than just a weird color graphic

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I think we need more OLED color spectrum discussion.

I can't play games without knowing

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I also support stux. I don't read his posts but his av makes me smile

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
ive provben my point, with both facts and logic, and its not my job to educate you :greencube:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Stux posted:

ive provben my point, with both facts and logic, and its not my job to educate you :greencube:

please post source !

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Color issues won't be a problem on the STEAM DECK

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Steam Dick.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rocket Pan posted:

I don't go for that nerd poo poo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The funny thing is that Stux has never played any games, he just posts ITT all day every day

Masterfully done

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

standard

vivid

oops!

wow cool triangles

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bleck posted:

Steam Dick.

🙀:prepop::tviv:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Alan_Shore posted:

The funny thing is that Stux has never played any games, he just posts ITT all day every day

Masterfully done

Stux stays winning

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Performative typos are a sign of weakness. If Stux truly believed in their posts they would not need a shield of ironic distance.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snake Maze posted:

Performative typos are a sign of weakness. If Stux truly believed in their posts they would not need a shield of ironic distance.

This thread is far from ready for someone who unironically has never been mad at video games

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Masterfully done

This thread is filled with people who spend more time in the thread than actually playing games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

You can probably tell I've had a few too many random description-less graphs thrown at me over the years. :v:
Colour profile graphs especially seem highly too specific. They serve a purpose elsewhere, but for games one can't be more correct than another given games have never had a correct profile to begin with. About the only time colour profiles matter is if you're emulating VGA, as they have a weird quirk where they take an 8bit colour profile that's internally only stored as 6bit, so some old DOS games actually look slightly different when ported to modern 32bit colour profiles if you don't account for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

This thread is filled with people who spend more time in the thread than actually playing games.

It’s easier to make bad posts during work hours than to play video games.