Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

njsykora posted:

Overwatch is still ostensibly set in the real world though, so there's still that weird disconnect. League at least went all the way in establishing a complete and hard divide between the actual game and the lore.

Anyway after watching the episodes this morning I still can't get over that they put the actual Imagine Dragons in the show.

I'll fully defend the Enemy song, I actually quite like it. But this cameo was fuckin' dumb and probably the only real sour spot outside of the cat death that I had with the show. I'm totally fine with putting songs that have already existed into the show (the Jinx song worked really well for that scene) but putting the actual Imagine Dragons band in there took me out of the show so fast it gave me whiplash.

This shot is another one that really stuck with me. The way she walks with her hands behind her back, all the colors of the fireworks, the sparks landing on her and bouncing off of her. It looks so so good. Every bit of animation with Jinx looked like they had a blast with it. It's pretty impressive how they managed to have her backstory be pretty tragic and she clearly has PTSD which is all serious stuff, while also making her fun wacky crazy. That must have been a tough tightrope to walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Caros posted:

On the subject of that gif and the show in general, am I wrong in thinking that some of the visual language between Jinx and Silco is uh... :yikes:

I think there's moments that look a bit suspect divorced of context, but the surrounding setting doesn't really hold it up. Silco acts decidedly disinterested in her in that first scene beyond the immediate goal of getting his eye poked and calmly but firmly reprimanding her, and the second scene, as mentioned, is filled with baptism imagery. The writing also steers me away from that conclusion, both because they've handled this kind of stuff with a deft hand in other parts - the show goes out of its way to make it clear that Vi's just getting the poo poo beaten out of her by the guards, and not the other, more common thing in bad fiction writing - and because Sevika makes it clear it's a father-daughter relationship to Vi. If there's anyone who'd know if something hosed up's going on, it'd be Sevika, and if there's anyone she'd use that information against to twist the knife, it'd be Vi.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

BiggestBatman posted:

Edit relating to the post above mine: this is animated by a French studio, remember

you can just call it creepy without blaming an entire country

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sylas/Garen might happen but I've seen enough about the Hannibal fandom to know that there is a certain subset of people that would absolutely adore Sylas/Lux as a ship.

Also I think Sylas/Lux is already more popular, not that that really matters (I think the most popular ship for League is Akali/Evelynn based entirely off of KDA.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Garen/Katarina is already firmly established by the Legends of Runeterra canon, where they have a bunch of hilarious card interactions denying knowing eachother and secretly trying to meet up for dinner.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'll fully defend the Enemy song, I actually quite like it. But this cameo was fuckin' dumb and probably the only real sour spot outside of the cat death that I had with the show. I'm totally fine with putting songs that have already existed into the show (the Jinx song worked really well for that scene) but putting the actual Imagine Dragons band in there took me out of the show so fast it gave me whiplash.

The cat thing was rough, but I almost appreciate it for the attempt of putting that trope on it's head. Surely it's been done before, but I can't think of a show/movie that did it. And totally agree about the band part, it must have been something contractually or the cost of the animation needing to use as much of it as possible to justify the cost maybe?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm reading some of the LoL character biographies, and I think the ending of Vex's biography is amazing. She's just an emo kid and wants to spread sadness and misery everywhere, to the point where she joins forces with I assume the leader of this island that's cursed and covered in this sad ghost mist. And then it turns out that guy was actually seeking a form of happiness so she abandoned him, and was like "I know what I can do get the sadness I crave. I'll show my parents what I became!". And then when she goes to do just that her parents are like "we don't understand this weird phase you're going through but we love and support you anyway". And then she rolls her eyes and sulks away from the house. I love that so much

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, a lot of yordles are based off of the various regions of the world, and I like how the yordle for most of the 'villainous' nations are all parodies. Kled parodies Noxian imperialism by being a crazy alcoholic who demands that everyone stay off 'his land', Veigar tries overly complicated evil schemes that never seem to work as well as he wants as a parody of Mordekaiser, and Vex parodies Thresh's sadism and delight in misery by just being an emo teen (who can kill people).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah something that should probably be in the OP for people who want to dig into lore is the League Universe site. Has all the character bios, short stories, comics (avoid the Jinx ones for your own sake) and a bunch of concept art. It's a cool thing to look around.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

njsykora posted:

Yeah something that should probably be in the OP for people who want to dig into lore is the League Universe site. Has all the character bios, short stories, comics (avoid the Jinx ones for your own sake) and a bunch of concept art. It's a cool thing to look around.

this is actually in the op lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I still find it somewhat wild that the animation here in a TV show is (IMO) better than, like, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (the closest equivalent I can think of), a full-rear end AAA Marvel animated movie.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Megazver posted:

I still find it somewhat wild that the animation here in a TV show is (IMO) better than, like, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (the closest equivalent I can think of), a full-rear end AAA Marvel animated movie.

Yeah, that's crazy to me. Not even Marvel's What if? with Disney money behind it could achieve something.like this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Yeah, that's crazy to me. Not even Marvel's What if? with Disney money behind it could achieve something.like this.

Arcane makes Marvel's What If look like Marvel's What Else is On

It makes the DOTA anime look like a HOTS anime

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think some of the Love Death and Robots episodes are on par, but those are shorter projects obviously.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jerkface posted:

It makes the DOTA anime look like a HOTS anime

This was uncalled for, Activision could afford a better series than that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comparing DOTA and Arcane is like night and day (or Diana and Leona, ha ha... ha, anyway). I don't know a whole lot about either lore, although I do actually play a Riot game and bounced completely off DOTA, and Arcane is SO much better at explaining things two you than DOTA's series.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Comparing DOTA and Arcane is like night and day (or Diana and Leona, ha ha... ha, anyway). I don't know a whole lot about either lore, although I do actually play a Riot game and bounced completely off DOTA, and Arcane is SO much better at explaining things two you than DOTA's series.

So DotA and Arcane should kiss. I see.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Hellioning posted:

So DotA and Arcane should kiss. I see.

Two shows existing in the same Netflix category is queer baiting :argh:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Yeah. It’s really down to production time. Disney wants quick turnarounds so they gave that show to 3 studios to figure out. They did a really good job in the time permitting, though apparently the lead studio nearly went under from what was asked of them. Meanwhile Riot gave their project to one studio they have a good history with and gave them enough time and budget to really perform. Most of the animators are superstars from Dreamworks or Gobelins or from vfx backgrounds. They did incredible work but also they had the resources.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I think it's a combination of what was probably a blank check from Riot - this is their opening pitch for League as a media franchise, after all - and Fortiche coming up with genuinely novel technology and techniques for stylized 3D animation. I really cannot recall the last time I saw anything in 3D animation with half as much character as Arcane, and that's a hell of an artistic accomplishment in 2021.

Dawgstar posted:

A large part of it comes down to Arcane being explicitly built from the ground up to be something that anyone could watch and get within minutes. It's not just about how they introduce the world; it's that the basic plot elements and themes Arcane is tackling are all well-worn cross-genre ideas that anyone who's even remotely media savvy will have run across before. They keep the scope small, the conflict comprehensible, and the supernatural fantasy elements at a scale an audience in 2021 will need no explanation for (weird fantasy creatures/races, powerful magical crystals, and evil chemicals that make you go apeshit). It's meant to give you a taste of the world without overwhelming you in special fantasy world nouns, and it succeeds excellently at that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Also, apropos of nothing: I'm really, really glad we've finally matured enough as a culture for characters in speculative fiction to be allowed to just say "gently caress" and "poo poo" normally without writers having to come up with weird fake swears for them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also that not every character has to be swearing all the time to display how mature our world is, like some of the Zaun squad have been turning the air blue constantly but I don't think Caitlyn's sworn once.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Cait said poo poo when she realized she had to parkour

I am definitely glad league doesn't have some dumb inuniverse swear words like "poropoo!" or "hexnabbit"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The fake in universe swear word has worked once in Red Dwarf and never again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Q_SnlVvQc

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
^^^Hell yeah

'Frak' worked for BSG but that's because it was basically just gently caress.

Arcane is Netflix's highest-rated original series.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's well deserved, IMO. I'm kinda curious how the series is being received elsewhere, since the lion's share of League's player population is over in China and Korea.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ccs posted:

Yeah. It’s really down to production time. Disney wants quick turnarounds so they gave that show to 3 studios to figure out. They did a really good job in the time permitting, though apparently the lead studio nearly went under from what was asked of them. Meanwhile Riot gave their project to one studio they have a good history with and gave them enough time and budget to really perform. Most of the animators are superstars from Dreamworks or Gobelins or from vfx backgrounds. They did incredible work but also they had the resources.

And they've been doing shorts for Riot already, haven't they?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There is an in-universe swear word though: inting

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Counterpoint: they kept "frak" from the original, but wisely jettisoned "felgercarb."

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

And they've been doing shorts for Riot already, haven't they?

yeah, they're linked in the OP

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just read up on the 20~ champs that came out since I last played. Man some of these new champs have neat backstories

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RC Cola posted:

I just read up on the 20~ champs that came out since I last played. Man some of these new champs have neat backstories

Which ones in particular do you like?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2021/11/14/the-anicamera-in-arcane/

Blog post about the virtual camera in Arcane by a League media analyst

The virtual camera is one of the most impressive things in Arcane, as they use a wide variety of "shots" in any given scene and make some novel camera movements or dissolve it completely to emphasize the scene like in the aforementioned sex scene.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 15, 2021

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Watched all the eps, now I feel the character personalities League (and Legends too) manage to show are almost a disservice to what Arcane does.

Char fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 15, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, everything they did with Jinx prior to this show just comes off as insanely cringe to me. We were warned about the Jinx comic on the site but gently caress it was even worse than I imagined.

Speaks to how good Arcane is that they could get me interested in a character who's essentially the worst parts of Harley Quinn mixed with the worst parts of Tiny Tina.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, everything they did with Jinx prior to this show just comes off as insanely cringe to me. We were warned about the Jinx comic on the site but gently caress it was even worse than I imagined.

Speaks to how good Arcane is that they could get me interested in a character who's essentially the worst parts of Harley Quinn mixed with the worst parts of Tiny Tina.

That specific Jinx comic I warned about was written by the same guy who wrote Tiny Tina incidentally. So congrats on recognising one of the worst writers to have had a bafflingly long career in videogames.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hakkesshu posted:

I like Get Jinxed, but that was done by the same studio that did this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RC Cola posted:

It's one of the appealing aspects of hero builders/mobas/etc. Even the lovely ones that failed usually have some really fun hero designs.

njsykora posted:

That specific Jinx comic I warned about was written by the same guy who wrote Tiny Tina incidentally. So congrats on recognising one of the worst writers to have had a bafflingly long career in videogames.

I'll be a dissident here and say that both Tiny Tina and LOL Jinx have their place in a certain type of narrative and they mostly work within that context, and Anthony Burch is okay, but they really elevated Jinx here, yes.

PS: This Jinx-y trailer is also kinda cute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaDQB8lOlTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I was fine with Jinx before, she was in the same kind of spot as Junkrat for me who I think is a very fun character. But Arcane goes much deeper with her character that I don't think you can really go back to how she was now.

I was also reading the biography about Vi and she apparently becomes an enforcer for Piltover? Really curious if they're changing that as well because I have no idea how Arcane Vi would get to a point where she sides with them