Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not making Abrams VP was a huge loving mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bizarro Watt posted:

What's funny is that Bernie most definitely lives rent free in Musk's mind.

He has correctly recognized that Bernie is an ineffectual joke. He's not laying awake at night worrying about all the grassroots progressive efforts to raise his taxes or whatever.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PhazonLink posted:

Obamacare, obamaphones.

Thanks Obama.

Spending your taxes to Build Back Better.... after all, it's Joe Money!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jizz Festival posted:

He has correctly recognized that Bernie is an ineffectual joke. He's not laying awake at night worrying about all the grassroots progressive efforts to raise his taxes or whatever.

No, it's probably both

He can recognized that Bernie won't be able to put progressive policy into practice while still seething about the rhetoric

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jizz Festival posted:

Bernie is the most popular politician in the country and his base is the same people who are likely to "idolize" a cringe tech bro like Musk. I am positive that musk has a press agent telling him that capitalism is becoming uncool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Timeless Appeal posted:

despite my inordinate stockpile of fish and music puns in hopes of a Karen Bass nod, I would also have accepted Abrams and she'd be way better than Harris

Gatts posted:

Yes. Imagine the zest a Pete Buttegeig VP nom would bring to the ticket. :geno:

ngl, while i hope the supply chain unfucks itself sooner rather than later for mostly reduction-in-human-suffering reasons, there's also a chance it plunges us into the Butt Timeline if he can successfully take credit as sectrans

and, heck, probably an improvement over the Harris Timeline

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Good stuff elon the emerald prince is lolling at Tyler zed. Another alt lite duck who literally makes anti Asian jokes like "oh the Chinese restaurant has " rets go Brandon"" on their sign.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Timeless Appeal posted:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

despite my inordinate stockpile of fish and music puns in hopes of a Karen Bass nod, I would also have accepted Abrams and she'd be way better than Harris
What happened with this anyway, like why Harris specifically over people who's competence and likability were so much higher? Did Harris have enough Hilary supporters that would've stayed home or was it something else?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Just lmao after the first 10 months of Biden's presidency that Dems are war-gaming getting rid of Harris as a future candidate, much less in favor of Buttigieg.

-Blackadder- posted:

What happened with this anyway, like why Harris specifically over people who's competence and likability were so much higher? Did Harris have enough Hilary supporters that would've stayed home or was it something else?

It was a nod to BLM after nominating the white guy with a history of racist speech & legislation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

-Blackadder- posted:

My only guess is that the donors like her, because she raised a lot of money in her brief campaign. I can't think of another reason because she's not popular at all.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

if we find out in four years when someone writes a tell-all that the only point was to neutralize the k-hive this will actually all have been worth it

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

My only guess is that the donors like her, because she raised a lot of money in her brief campaign. I can't think of another reason because she's not popular at all.

She was a prosecutor and will gladly gently caress over PoC to climb the ladder

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Klobb was in posession of an extraordinarily topical scandal right as VP sweepstakes were taking place. I know Obama-Biden promised a lot of candidates poo poo to drop out and endorse him, but I cant imagine Harris being their first choice until that happened.

Outside of very embarassing picks like Tim Kaine, VP's are usually picked to deliver states or mollify a part of the base; Pence was picked to be the reasonable anchor to Trump, Biden to lock up the Racist Democrat base, Ryan for the tea partiers, Palin for the wingnuts, etcetera. Klobb might have probably been their midwest pick, I cant imagine what Harris would bring on those lines. Her entire base is diehard clintonites, shes from California, and Biden has absurd numbers among black americans despite the vast majority of his legislative history and gaffes.

I dont think anyone had pretensions on Buttigeig providing anything, and the party had yet to give Stacey Abrams all the credit for Georgia organizing.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 15, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

She had a relationship with Biden's son, had what were pretty superficial Progressive bonafides, and despite her 2020 performance, polled pretty well.

But honestly, I forget she's VP most of the time and Biden is probably overall a better President than she would be. I think after Georgia, a VP Abrams would really feel like an historical force of nature. My guess is that she was passed over for perceived lack of experience while also hoping she would become the Georgia governor.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

BRJohnson posted:

Love your energy but what's the justification on hating on Bernie? There's been good posts about the necessity of the kind of social policies he CONSTANTLY CONSISTENTLY talks about, and it bridges the gaps in what will help the masses.

Yeah he talks, and that's it. At this point he's just doing the politics equivalent of an Internet Tough Guy routine and it's cringe. Musk has actual material power that Sanders doesn't threaten in any meaningful way, so the latter threatening the former is a joke and Musk is correct to treat it as such

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it's the donors, and I think what makes Kamala particularly appealing to them is just how compliant she is. She was willing to damage her own campaign doing next-day walkbacks when it was otherwise desperately scrambling for traction. Even a sociopath like Pete wouldn't have been that cooperative in that situation

e:

Timeless Appeal posted:

My guess is that she was passed over for perceived lack of experience while also hoping she would become the Georgia governor.

She was passed over because (allegedly) the Biden campaign reached out to her when it was cratering early in the primary to try and Fiorina her, and she brushed them off because they looked dead in the water and took a big check to hang out with Mike Bloomberg instead

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 15, 2021

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

CNN.com's headline story is a piece on how dysfunctional Biden's relationship with Harris is. Wonderful!

I'm sure I've got my own layer of biases to break through, but she's giving off big Selina Meyer vibes here.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/14/politics/kamala-harris-frustrating-start-vice-president/index.html

Rather than dysfunctional, it feels more adversarial. Lots of complaints from Harris loyalists complaining that Biden isn't doing enough to promote her and boost her. When she was first chosen, there were a number of folks in the Biden team who were loudly suspicious that she'd focus on her own personal political ambitions, and now we see folks in Harris' circles complaining that Biden isn't giving her enough opportunities to lead and isn't doing enough to set her up for a 2028 run.

The article's a bit vague about it at the start, but as you get further along it gets pretty blatant about Harris supporters complaining that she's being too loyal to Biden and needs to prioritize her own personal political goals more:

quote:

Harris loyalists themselves worry that she'll pay the price for her own loyalty to the President and her willingness to take on what they view as thankless assignments.

Biden's aides have made clear that they are focused on promoting and protecting him, especially since it's his approval rating that will likely define the 2022 midterms and his promised run for reelection in 2024.

Harris' team has argued over whether she is going too far in subsuming herself to Biden -- a back and forth that dates to the transition, when Harris was pushed to turn over the email list from her campaign and super PAC to the DNC.

This was a good idea, some argued, because it would show Harris being a team player and help raise tens of millions for the DNC. Others pushed back, saying turning over the list would mean losing control of and access to it, which could be debilitating if Harris ends up facing a primary fight for the presidential nomination, as many expect she would.

Flournoy ended the dispute in favor of turning it over. They were all on the same team, she said on a phone call with lawyers, explaining the decision.

But months later, that email list still hasn't arrived at the DNC. Harris aides have been told that the transfer has been held up by a complaint about the Biden campaign lodged with the Federal Election Commission.

As the vice president's chief of staff, Harris loyalist believe, Flournoy should be prioritizing Harris' interests over those of the White House.

"If someone is accusing me of being loyal to Joe Biden, I'll take that. If someone is accusing me of being disloyal to Kamala Harris, I won't take that," Flournoy said. "She doesn't believe there is a conflict between being loyal to her and being loyal to Joe Biden."

Several Biden campaign aides spoke of putting "a blanket" around Harris after she was picked as the running mate last year, and advised against bringing on staff from her presidential campaign, though the final decisions around hires and structure were left at her discretion. That's left her with just a handful of current aides who knew her before she was vice president-elect, and they don't know her well. Feeding dissension internally, many suspect each other of putting their own career interests ahead of hers, or of performing to try to build their relationships with her on the fly.

Former aides have tried to offer advice to the current crew, urging them to get the vice president away from scripted events behind podiums. They say she often goes down her own rabbit holes preparing for those events, when more off-the-cuff interactions would better play to her strengths.

It's rather weird for a vice-president to be complaining about being left out and not getting many chances to lead. After all, they're the vice-president, not someone important.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah he talks, and that's it. At this point he's just doing the politics equivalent of an Internet Tough Guy routine and it's cringe. Musk has actual material power that Sanders doesn't threaten in any meaningful way, so the latter threatening the former is a joke and Musk is correct to treat it as such

Maybe he does have power in a meaningful way when people read what he says. Maybe me and people like me hearing it is important.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont have a lot of respect for Biden, but ignoring Harris is probably one of his few good moves, alongside not backing out of the Afghanistan withdrawal & making the sauds mad.

She's a charisma hole, represents a withering and sterile clintonite base (even by the standards of centrist superstars), and couldnt even get to her state's primary before her family drained the coffers. Her greatest traits are a rictus grin and sneakers.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

BRJohnson posted:

Maybe he does have power in a meaningful way when people read what he says. Maybe me and people like me hearing it is important.

Well then I guess we just disagree because I don't think it is

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
This is what the dems get when they limited their VP choices to the shallow pool of "female minority".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I dont have a lot of respect for Biden, but ignoring Harris is probably one of his few good moves, alongside not backing out of the Afghanistan withdrawal

Yeah I kinda think the Afghan withdrawal went about as well as it could have gone. Even if Biden had known that all the sources saying the US-backed regime would hold out for months or years were way off, what could he really have done differently? Mayyybe if he'd accelerated resettlement of Afghans who wanted to flee the country, even though the regime asked Biden not to do that, it would have helped more collaborators and therefore been more palatable, but it would have still looked awful.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1460070063025831936?s=20

I feel like this is pretty terrible idea.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I just had an actual flashback to all the times Pissbaby would rant about how someone was loyal and useful and vital, immediately before news dropped and suddenly they were an intern who never met him in person

Stop giving me hope Copmala is about to go away

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Feels a little like telling on yourself when you decide to issue a statement like that.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

She was a prosecutor and will gladly gently caress over PoC to climb the ladder

I think you mean "Has."

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/1/23/18184192/kamala-harris-president-campaign-criminal-justice-record

quote:

For example, Harris’s office fought to release fewer prisoners, even after the US Supreme Court found that overcrowding in California prisons was so bad that it amounted to unconstitutional cruel and unusual punishment. At one point, her lawyers argued that the state couldn’t release some prisoners because it would deplete its pool for prison labor — but Harris quickly clarified that she was not aware her office was going with that argument until it was reported by media.

Or consider Harris’s handling of appeals for release by innocent people in prison. In one case, her office argued against Daniel Larsen, who was proven innocent by the Innocence Project, because, Harris’s office claimed, he filed his petition for release far too late after a legal deadline. The court disagreed, allowing Larsen’s release in 2013. (In the New York Times, Bazelon listed several more such cases.)

Of course, why would the attorney general have any idea about that sort of thing going in in her own office?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

This is what the dems get when they limited their VP choices to the shallow pool of "female minority".

thinking about the halcyon days of fantasizing sanders picking turner. :allears:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
should have been hillary

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I feel like that statement's a warning to the people in Kamala's camp to stop complaining in the press

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

She's literally just a diversity pick, pretty much.

A lot about the Dems makes sense realising they'd spent literal decades making sure the bench was clear for Hillary Clinton and as a result have no one left under 70 that anyone for some reason actually likes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm suddenly reminded of all the staff and cabinet members that Trump said he had complete confidence in, and then fired within a week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

The prevailing wisdom at the time was that he was trying to mirror how he was picked by Obama to be his VP, in that he caused a stir in the early primary process by just savagely insulting Obama (with a pretty racist grandpa brainfart) and they eventually mended fences after Biden dropped out, became friends, and forged a pretty effective#1-#2 team for the subsequent 8 years of Obama's presidency. We got the first couple of steps of that with the Biden-Harris relationship, ie: the savage chaos dunk from Harris that briefly wobbled Biden's campaign and caught his attention and the mending fences afterwards enough to get picked for the Veep post, but that whole "became legitimate friends and reliable working partners" thing never materialized like it did between Obama and Biden, so Harris got pushed to the periphery to tailspin in her own embarrassments privately, whereas when Biden cocked up under Obama, Barry was always there behind him to help him laugh it all off and help foster that phantasmic Diamond Joe Biden image that a lot of people still had in their brains when they went into the voting booth in 2020.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Feels a little like telling on yourself when you decide to issue a statement like that.

Yeah it's got a real hit dogs holler feel that's for sure.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

And any man who must say 'I am king' is no true king at all.

George R.R. Martin

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The classic 'our coach has our full support' statement a week before the team loses 35-3 and the team bus leaves with one fewer person than it showed up with.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Jizz Festival posted:

It's pretty much this. The left in America can't do poo poo and Musk is taking a victory lap on twitter having secured his taxes for another cycle...
Musk has legions of wannabes who idolize him as someone they want to be. A guy who has his fingers in all kinds of big ticket items like cars, rockets and battery tech, crypto. Frankly any leftist criticism of him (no matter how well deserved or accurate) is gonna look like sour grapes at this point thanks to the narrative currently in place. He's built an image of himself like he's Howard Hughes or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The left is accused of sour grapes for literally existing, it's not like that's new.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What day is the Rittenhouse verdict expected? Closing arguments are Monday

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't know who at the White House needs to hear this but people don't like Kamala Harris because she's a boring, triangulating, empty suit who doesn't inspire anyone and has legitimate problematic behavior in the past. Not because she's black or a woman. I mean. People do dislike or like her because of those things, but the people you're trying to convince don't really care about those things.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 15, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of all the staff and cabinet members that Trump said he had complete confidence in, and then fired within a week.

I would actually be fine with Harris being fired and replaced, but I don't think that's an option for vice presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Correct, the vice president cannot be fired and would have to resign (or be impeached and convicted). A new VP would then be nominated and have to pass confirmation votes in both houses.