Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

flock by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

EDIT:

So cool

tompepper fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very cool

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is really excellent! I would have cropped that little bit of road at the bottom out to make the amount of sky above the tree and the amount of grass roughly the same, but that's just personal preference.
Great Tree off County Sideroad.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I was trying for a bit of perspective, the viewer's closeness to the tree-as-tidal wave

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

gently caress yeah!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I like all of those except maybe the second which doesn't do much for me, but especially like the first. Really nice tones, colours and comp

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

that fuckin can is placed almost too perfectly though, did you put it there?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

I have to admit, I noticed the can at my feet when I was setting up for the shot so I kicked it into the frame because I thought it would be perfect lol, chucked it into the bin afterwards though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lmao fuckin called it. fair play though, i don't think i've ever placed anything in a shot but i've definitely moved stuff out of the way which isn't so different

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
So much great stuff on the last couple of pages!

PB126495_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126498_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126502_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126503_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

PB126527_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

lmao fuckin called it. fair play though, i don't think i've ever placed anything in a shot but i've definitely moved stuff out of the way which isn't so different

Real life content aware fill!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Real life content aware fill!

Using a trained neural network!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Move over sky replacement, the new hot thing is trash placement.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

A good reminder to check the overall Dorkroom section occasionally rather than just rely on bookmarked threads. Had no idea this thread existed earlier. In fact, I think this thread was started before I ever took up photography!

Downtown Charleston-302 by Will King, on Flickr

Downtown Charleston-317 by Will King, on Flickr

Ravenel Bridge Sunset-69 by Will King, on Flickr

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

V by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
why

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Like for both of the previous posts. What is the point of either, its not like theres a subject or anything deeper than a surface level aesthetic.

Challenge yourself and take some better photos.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I tend to agree, I feel like doggles is trying to build interest using heavy handed post processing. O don't have anything specific to criticise with Tom's other than its just there. Blackhawk, everything is green.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Is it not ok to try and create an abstract visual out of a landscape? I like the shape created from shadow and the chaos of the lines. I think the bent lamp adds a bit of weirdness to it as well, so I like the pic.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Like for both of the previous posts. What is the point of either, its not like theres a subject or anything deeper than a surface level aesthetic.

What's wrong with that?

They're both not empty parking lots so I don't see a problem.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 15, 2021

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Wafflecopper posted:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Cacator posted:

What's wrong with that?

They're both not empty parking lots so I don't see a problem.

The problem is predominantly that aesthetics are secondary to subject. It would be great if looking was rewarded by there being more to see beyond the surface. A bad photograph of something interesting will always be better than a well made but dull photograph.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008
Just in case anyone is interested and hasn't seen it: https://naturallandscapeawards.com/competition-results-2021/.

The "Photograph of the Year" made my brain try to jump sideways in my skull.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

every single one of those photos on that site bore me to death and depress me (not in the good way)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah well I think they're well done for the genre and I enjoyed looking at them.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
what if aesthetics are the subject

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

right, i agree that for the genre they're technically good - in focus, colour balance, etc, all that.

my issue is with the genre itself, that i don't find it interesting in the least.
nothing lays beneath them - there is no message, there is no higher truth, they tell me nothing new.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Those are good photos.
For a dentist to hang.
In their office.
Idiot.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
it must be hard for the judges to choose when all the pictures look the same

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

it must be hard for the judges to choose when all the pictures look the same

I feel like you could say this about any type of landscape "genre" if said genre isn't your thing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those are your typical well-done wallpaper landscape photos, carefully made to try and win competitions and sell prints.
I enjoy them in the same way I enjoy a good view, but the photos don't really have any meaning or soul to them.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Most of those are actually pretty basic and uninspired. Whatever your feelings on the genre, there is much better out there.

Anyway, here, I put a couple of those pics through the Dorkroom algorithm:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
that fuckin garbage is placed almost too perfectly though, did you put it there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Jerm324 posted:

I feel like you could say this about any type of landscape "genre" if said genre isn't your thing.

this is true of course and i dont really care if anybody else likes the photos. as has been pointed out they are meant to be likeable.

individually there are many fine photos there i think but when you look at them in aggregate the illusion is totaly dispelled for me. no one artist is distinct enough that you could tell who did what if you shuffled them around. or if you did a google image search for nice mountain landscape or leaves on water or snowy tree picture you could probably swap those in and out and not notice the difference. i think they are all hewing as close as they can to same set of ideal beautiful landscape photos as those that are churned into desktop wallpapers or come heavily watermarked by flickr dads with prosumer hardware.

ive seen a lot of photos and ive seen a lot of (actual) landscapes (brag) but nothing in there inspires anything of the grandeur or sense of excitment and adventure of the real thing. like megabound said they remind me more of the dentists office, or the furniture in an airbnb, or a picturesque scene in a video game than a real place. these awards are never given to anybody trying something novel or innovative and as a result they are just a celebration of mediocrity. id like to reward people who have a vision that surprises you and pushes things forward. sure some of the artists are lugging their gear up a mountain side to get their shot but the power of what they see is not captured in their photos where they always stay on the paved trail.