Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How are u posted:

Probably something very similar to what has happened over the past 2 years?

That bad, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

We've also seen Australia and New Zealand abandon elimination policies in part because people's tolerance for the strict measures necessary to achieve them has been exhausted. Your point about turbo-capitalist countries like the US having directly worse outcomes is of course true, but ordinary people aren't going to "pretend it's 2019" because they want number to go up, they're going to pretend it's 2019 because life was a lot better back then. (And yes I realise that plenty of Americans have been pretending it's 2019 since about May 2020.)
From my understanding, Australians supported those strict measures up until the point they stopped working. If they were actually working, I think that would change people’s tolerance.

I think, too, Australians, much like everyone else, have bought the hype that these vaccines are a silver bullet. Lay interpretations of a vaccinated world is it’s now just the flu—it only kills the extremely old and vulnerable, and if I get it I’ll just get the sniffles.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
NZ's lockdown failed largely because of street gangs, who are generally historically 100% foot soldiers of reaction/capital.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gio posted:

Lay interpretations of a vaccinated world is it’s now just the flu—it only kills the extremely old and vulnerable, and if I get it I’ll just get the sniffles.

These interpretations are basically true, though. To a given definition of "extremely."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

These interpretations are basically true, though. To a given definition of "extremely."

They’re not, but given that many people in this thread sincerely believe that, it’s no wonder the general population has so thoroughly stopped giving a gently caress.

Didn’t you just say that even in a vaccinated world we’d see up to four times the number of flu deaths?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gio posted:

I think, too, Australians, much like everyone else, have bought the hype that these vaccines are a silver bullet.

Unlike a lot of countries we got our delta outbreak before most people could have been vaccinated. There wasn't complacency around the vaccine's effectiveness, there was a belief that other methods would have been enough. Even now (after their supply issues have been gone for ~2 months) the states without the outbreaks (Qld, SA, WA) have ~15-20% lower vaxx rates compared to Victoria, ACT and NSW.

Half of the country thinks that vaccines are good but that border controls and snap lockdowns are still necessary, the other half got vaxxed en masse because it was the only way to deal with our outbreaks.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 15, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MrT/status/1459652734894804994

Mr. T is all right.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Mr T is a national treasure

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Not everyone is going to appreciate the rarefied approach of considering their atomization in a capitalist system

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gio posted:

They’re not, but given that many people in this thread sincerely believe that, it’s no wonder the general population has so thoroughly stopped giving a gently caress.

Didn’t you just say that even in a vaccinated world we’d see up to four times the number of flu deaths?

Yes, and four times* the number of flu deaths, almost entirely among the extremely elderly and those with underlying conditions, in a mostly restriction-free society, is a) much much lower than what would've happened if we let her rip in 2020, and b) something people on the whole will accept because we don't really have any other options except to remain in lockdown in perpetuity.

I don't want to avoid a cycle of extreme lockdown measures because of ~Capitalism.~ I want to avoid extreme lockdown measures because I haven't seen my loving family since 2019.

*I'm spitballing, based on the UK's current level of COVID deaths compared to their typical level of flu deaths per day if smoothed out across the year, which is about 60-80 in a normal flu season. They're currently recording about 160ish deaths a day from COVID and it's not yet winter.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

freebooter posted:

Yes, and four times* the number of flu deaths, almost entirely among the extremely elderly and those with underlying conditions, in a mostly restriction-free society, is a) much much lower than what would've happened if we let her rip in 2020, and b) something people on the whole will accept because we don't really have any other options except to remain in lockdown in perpetuity.

I don't want to avoid a cycle of extreme lockdown measures because of ~Capitalism.~ I want to avoid extreme lockdown measures because I haven't seen my loving family since 2019.

*I'm spitballing, based on the UK's current level of COVID deaths compared to their typical level of flu deaths per day if smoothed out across the year, which is about 60-80 in a normal flu season. They're currently recording about 160ish deaths a day from COVID and it's not yet winter.

this can be fixed by combining extreme lockdown measures with assaults on individuality

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Are there any goons who can provide some field reports from Latin America, Africa, maybe South Asia or some other places beyond the usual suspects for SA?

How have so many places with limited state capacity avoided the kind of outcomes we've seen in the US and UK and parts of Europe? I assume lack of measurement and minimal media coverage are just hiding it to a certain extent. The Economist excess deaths tracker suggests that, too, though it's not without its limitations, and it also suggests many places have done a drat good job despite limited resources. But what's the situation like in these places?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

freebooter posted:

If you haven’t seen your family since 2019 then you are one of the very very few who are acting in a way that would stop the pandemic. No one else is doing that. Everyone else is seeing their family and friends at huge parties maskless at least once a week if not more

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that Freebooter’s problem is international travel to/from Australia, which is one of the few places in which meaningful restrictions remain in effect.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Platystemon posted:

I think that Freebooter’s problem is international travel to/from Australia, which is one of the few places in which meaningful restrictions remain in effect.

No thats my problem and the borders are now open enough to finally have my wife visit. Still cant come as a tourist but family reunion allowed and Aussies can come and go as they wish from NSW and VIC

His is West Australia is effectivly still hard closed to everyone.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah I’m in Australia and my family is in the UK and I last saw them in person in May 2018, we were going to go and visit in May 2020, but well, that didn’t work out.
We’re hoping flights will return to some sort of before times normality and price next year, but who knows what’ll happen :shrug:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Dutch government orders three-week partial lockdown amid COVID surge

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-13/dutch-government-orders-partial-lockdown-amid-covid-surge/100618200

The Netherlands has an 85% vaxx rate. Not feeling particularly confident about how winter plays out in the northern hemisphere, and if winter lockdowns end up becoming the norm, maybe here in Australia it's time for us to give border closures and COVID-zero another chance.

freebooter posted:

This is a weird pair of posts to make one page apart. Do you think we can live with covid as 4xFlu without cycling lockdowns or not?

The problem is really that no matter how much anyone thinks society should deal with X number of covid deaths/year no country has managed to control covid without at least the threat of potential lockdowns in perpetuity, as evidenced by the Netherlands and other European countries locking down again. South Korea is talking about a potential circuit breaker lockdown too. There might be the odd exception like Portugal but they are still rolling the dice and I'm sure Portuguese people and the government are worrying about whether restrictions would be reintroduced. The idea that we can just live our lives without lockdowns and restrictions and throw a certain number of people into the covid pit hasn't been demonstrated in practice anywhere, except perhaps by the USA which should be a cautionary tale rather than an example.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 15, 2021

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Vasukhani posted:

this can be fixed by combining extreme lockdown measures with assaults on individuality

Can you please be a tankie elsewhere? Your solutions are utterly inhuman. Nothing you say has value or worth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smeef posted:

Are there any goons who can provide some field reports from Latin America, Africa, maybe South Asia or some other places beyond the usual suspects for SA?

It is going well.

No measures to speak of (everything open, but bars and clubs must close at midnight, EU covid pass will be mandatory from tomorrow in all state and municipal institutions. Masks are mandatory in stores and public transport but no enforcement of any kind so you can guess how that goes. We just barely got over 50% total vax rate. People are protesting even those half-measures while wearing yellow stars on their clothes. Schools are open.

Now, guess where on that graph our prime minister declared "victory over coronavirus"?

Our future is bright.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

UnoriginalMind posted:

Can you please be a tankie elsewhere? Your solutions are utterly inhuman. Nothing you say has value or worth.

Counterpoint: I find "we must destroy the concepts of religion, the soul, individuality, and free will so that we may become an ant colony" darkly amusing.

edit: I don't think it's particularly good that their posts sound like an anime villain and/or Chairman Yang from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. But it's certainly A Thing.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 15, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

Counterpoint: I find "we must destroy the concepts of religion, the soul, individuality, and free will so that we may become an ant colony" darkly amusing.

edit: I don't think it's particularly good that their posts sound like an anime villain and/or Chairman Yang from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. But it's certainly A Thing.

What if they need to be decimated but not wholly annihilated for their own inherent evils and not with any specific intent on becoming an ant colony? Many of the evils in the world come from fetishizing those things rather than viewing them as useful fictions.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Just got my 3rd shot. 4 hrs in I now feel like poo poo. Head pain.

Also got my 3rd Pfizer. Headaches for one day, easily cured with Mexalen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Vasukhani is clearly Kerning Chameleon carrying on the same stupid gimmick he got forum banned for.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

Slow News Day posted:

I mean yes, Covid will become endemic and never go away, as many experts have been saying since February, if not earlier.

I'm a bit surprised there's ever been much question about Covid staying around, in some form, more or less forever.

It started out as a zoonosis.

Unless you buy the lab leak narrative, which I don't.

And the list of species it's shown itself capable of infecting, besides humans, has been growing almost since the start of the pandemic.

So I've always considered the odds it's going to find at least one feasible reservoir species to be as close to unity as makes no difference.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

CPU Abuser posted:

I'm a bit surprised there's ever been much question about Covid staying around, in some form, more or less forever.

It started out as a zoonosis.

Unless you buy the lab leak narrative, which I don't.

And the list of species it's shown itself capable of infecting, besides humans, has been growing almost since the start of the pandemic.

So I've always considered the odds it's going to find at least one feasible reservoir species to be as close to unity as makes no difference.

I have good news about the continued viability of mammalian biomass!

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

Seriously, why is that psychotic poo poo allowed in this thread? How is "we must eliminate individuality in favor of groupthink" - or whatever other goofy thing - even remotely relevant or even approachable in the context of a thread about a virus, aside from "go back to the Collective, drone."

Yes, people can put them on ignore, but other people haven't yet, and it just draws out the insanity for literally no good reason.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NecroBob posted:

Seriously, why is that psychotic poo poo allowed in this thread? How is "we must eliminate individuality in favor of groupthink" - or whatever other goofy thing - even remotely relevant or even approachable in the context of a thread about a virus, aside from "go back to the Collective, drone."

Yes, people can put them on ignore, but other people haven't yet, and it just draws out the insanity for literally no good reason.

It's literally kerning chameleon. The account creation even matches up with a ban. He has been posting weird "I abuse my family"/"I want to murder someone"/"end civilzation now" stuff in every thread for 10+ years.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

Wang Commander posted:

I have good news about the continued viability of mammalian biomass!

Well, yeah. :)

But Covid isn't the only biologically promiscuous pathogen we've had to deal with.

Influenza, rabies, and plague all come to mind.

Plague in particular: descendants of the load that got into the US via San Francisco in 1897 are still cycling in prairie dog towns in the Southwestern US. Killing them fairly efficiently too, from what I've read.

But prairie dogs as a species seem more or less intact.

Same story with rabies and bats.

Pathogens don't always treat their reservoir species very kindly. But all a pathogen needs to maintain itself in a reservoir species is a stable equilibrium.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Honestly, it's better to just ignore him. He's clearly upping his "sound like a psychotic anime villain" bit more and more because the last few times he did it no one responded, so it's just pure trolling IMO.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

NecroBob posted:

How is "we must eliminate individuality in favor of groupthink" - or whatever other goofy thing - even remotely relevant or even approachable in the context of a thread about a virus, aside from "go back to the Collective, drone."

Because some societies have successfully defeated the virus? You don't actually care about the individual well being of people either, you will continue sacrificing hundreds of thousands so you continue "expressing yourself" by buying burger or "visiting friends."

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

UnoriginalMind posted:

A nice human solution of murdering millions yearly to consume grease and work in the sysco distribution point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

enki42 posted:

Honestly, it's better to just ignore him. He's clearly upping his "sound like a psychotic anime villain" bit more and more because the last few times he did it no one responded, so it's just pure trolling IMO.

Kerning is a huge anime fan and got kicked out of the attack of titan thread for writing weird genocide fan fiction over and over and he does seem to play a character to get a rise out of people, but he also did post pretty consistently about being abusive with his family. So he seems like he really is an actual bad person larping as a more exaggerated bad person.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Kerning is a huge anime fan and got kicked out of the attack of titan thread for writing weird genocide fan fiction over and over and he does seem to play a character to get a rise out of people, but he also did post pretty consistently about being abusive with his family. So he seems like he really is an actual bad person larping as a more exaggerated bad person.

Holy poo poo. Goons are literally a parody of themselves. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying so you get bbq ribs. This isn't an anime mate. I don't get when you can even claim to be an individualist while watching people forced to literally die to pay rent/buy food/ stay alive.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Vasukhani posted:

Because some societies have successfully defeated the virus?

You mean China?

quote:

China fights biggest Delta outbreak as cases grow in city of Dalian
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-faces-biggest-delta-outbreak-infections-grow-northeastern-city-2021-11-15/

BEIJING, Nov 15 (Reuters) - China is battling the spread of its biggest COVID-19 outbreak caused by the Delta variant, according to numbers announced on Monday, with travellers from a city where infections have grown faster than elsewhere in the country subject to tough quarantine rules in nearby areas.

Chinese authorities said 32 new domestically transmitted infections with confirmed symptoms have been reported for Nov. 14, most of which were in northeastern Dalian city. That brings the tally of local cases since Oct. 17 to 1,308, Reuters calculations based on official data showed, surpassing the 1,280 local cases from a summer Delta outbreak.

This marks China's most widespread Delta outbreak, which has affected 21 provinces, regions and municipalities. While it is smaller than many outbreaks in other countries, Chinese authorities are anxious to block any further transmissions under the government's zero-tolerance guidance.

Or does "continues to have low levels of domestic transmission with outbreaks every few months" count as successfully defeating the virus?

edit: pursuing a zero COVID strategy does not mean they have achieved zero COVID.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 15, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fritz the Horse posted:

You mean China?

Or does "continues to have low levels of domestic transmission with outbreaks every few months" count as successfully defeating the virus?

Deaths

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Vasukhani posted:

Deaths

If you don't understand that the published numbers are exactly what they need to be to make the relevant officials look good, I have to ask how many times you've purchased the Brooklyn Bridge.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Truly, if we eliminate everything worth living for, defeating covid is simplicity itself! Here, allow me to suggest enormous and impossible social changes by shitposting one-liners. This lets me pretend it's more reasonable than it is if you bothered to think about it for even a second.

As a bonus, I'll also pretend that inhumane and frankly nihilistic super-extra-authoritarianism won't lead to even more deaths than covid!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

Truly, if we eliminate everything worth living for, defeating covid is simplicity itself!

Sysco grease -- a reason for life.

tagesschau posted:

If you don't understand that the published numbers are exactly what they need to be to make the relevant officials look good, I have to ask how many times you've purchased the Brooklyn Bridge.

Nice actual full blown racism dude.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Vasukhani posted:

Deaths

That's fine, I was just wondering where your goalposts for "successfully defeated the virus" were. I do sincerely hope they're able to attain zero COVID, but they're not there yet if that's your metric for success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Vasukhani posted:

Nice actual full blown racism dude.

It's nothing of the sort, and you know full well that you're lying.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 15, 2021