Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I hope a rogue build is viable in the final game, play it a little in the sekiro direction except with a classic rpg bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The best part of this game is spamming jump with a guy after your help him kill a boss. Just looking at eachother jumping for joy, that is what this series needed.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

I made a ton more of these in tonight's test. I'm working on uploading them all to youtube so stay tuned to this playlist to see lots more!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8oSCobo-oxeM9Ly4nyWRyKbvI-Zc1Vp

Edit: I have 6 more videos to upload but according to YouTube I hit the daily upload limit so look for more soon!

Meanwhile, enjoy this:

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 15, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Control Volume posted:

Not surprising given how well Sekiros combat flowed and how much of that games design theyve added to this one.

I hated Sekiro's magic symbol gimmick to an irrational degree, but watching people who had memorized all the attacks makes it look super graceful. If they can do that organically and have good magic it'll easily be the best game they've ever put out.

BiggerBoat posted:

This one seems like I can at least nope out of a particularly hard area and just go wander around in a different direction looking for new poo poo (that will still kill me).

Dark Souls kinda starts like that, though that dies off fairly quickly and it funnels you into various gauntlets. The generous amount of bonfire-like things combined with non-bonfire respawn points means this will probably be the game you're least likely to lose your corpse in. Like there's still going to be That Hallway(c) with That Spear Guy(c), and if it's a progression-blocking boss you'll have to kill him, but the runback won't be such a killjoy.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
One thing that was bothering me about that was when you die off somewhere with minimal amount of runes and don't feel like its worth reclaiming them, your dropped runes location stays on compass. I wonder if there's a way to get rid of it that doesn't involve going all the way to actually pick it up.

It's a very minor thing of course, but felt wrong forgetting all about the runes and then getting reminded that yes your 240 xp is waiting all the way in the rear end dungeon that way. In other souls games the world is linear enough that you won't see them until you're close enough to go grab them anyway.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Just die in another location, problem solved. There will probably be a version of rings of sacrifice in the full game too.

I don't know if you can change the settings for the map but you might be able to remove markers from it too.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

lol

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

About to go to sleep and youtube throws a no-hit boss compilation at me. Spoiler: he doesn't use a shield and delicately weave together blocks and rolls like reddit guy says.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKhjrjGWZmk

GOTY

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

That is just rude.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Given this game is pretty much everything that's come before, it seems like a John Sekiro build is viable. Just a katana, no shield, ash of war in lieu of prosthetics and parrying and guard countering everywhere.

That said I really do hope they implement some balance changes as a result of the stress test. Shields, jumping R2s, viscerals/criticals, guard counters are just waaay too powerful at the moment (not to mention most magic and the ashes of wa). But who knows maybe the starting area or beta was designed to be easy as hell once you've experimented with the mechanics and after that it's tough as nails.

:edit: also it'll never happen but I wish you could 'equip' either rolling or quick stepping as your dodge style.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mailer posted:

About to go to sleep and youtube throws a no-hit boss compilation at me. Spoiler: he doesn't use a shield and delicately weave together blocks and rolls like reddit guy says.

That charge up sword magic is just the coolest poo poo.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mailer posted:

I don't think I saw a single block or parry in there, all just dodge rolls. No counters, but a good amount of heavies and jump-attacks for stance breaking. I think reddit guy might have overstated his case.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 15, 2021

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I'm pretty sure my first playthrough of every DS game was Quality Sword+Board with light rolls so I could "delicately weave together blocks and rolls" aka "have flexibility to handle all the poo poo the game throws at you before you know the timings and where to find the +iframes ring". Pure evasion is better once you learn it all.

Doesn't look like anything has changed?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Elerion posted:

Doesn't look like anything has changed?
From the videos, that's what it seems like to me. While the no-hit boss rush person was obviously very well skilled and practiced, none of that was super duper difficult or insane. There are more options to play, more ways to 'git gud', but if you're good at DS3 it seems like you won't have to relearn that ala Sekiro

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How long until we get someone doing a no-hit ER run? I'm guessing within a month or two of release. Maybe less than a year for someone to do a full Souls+ER hitless

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Yeah, Sekiro's whole thing was that instead of mostly blocking or rolling, and then waiting for your turn to get a few hits in, you should keep attacking continuously until the game forces you to stop to parry. Elden Ring definitely feels more like Dark Souls in that regard.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Elden Ring has builds, which makes the idea that there is a *way* to win fights kind of inapplicable, but it's true that stance breaking is a legitimate strategy and something you can go for, unlike previous Souls games, and much like Sekiro, where it was more often than not the primary strategy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AllisonByProxy posted:

Meanwhile, enjoy this:

This is the best thing I ever saw :vince:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Jerusalem posted:

This is the best thing I ever saw :vince:

It's like a mimic door.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
oh gently caress yeah, it looks like dark souls 2 style dual wielding is back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsD0WgtEnqE&t=263s

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

bop bop perano posted:

oh gently caress yeah, it looks like dark souls 2 style dual wielding is back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsD0WgtEnqE&t=263s

Power stance was great, looks like they improved upon it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I like how this game is Do What You want. Nbd. Little things like no more 1.5 x stats needed for dual wielding

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

I like how this game is Do What You want. Nbd. Little things like no more 1.5 x stats needed for dual wielding

It's things like this, and what I've seen in test footage, that makes me want to believe this is coming from the DeS/DaS/BB company, and not the DaS2 company, but I never know which way they're going to swing.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mailer posted:

It's things like this, and what I've seen in test footage, that makes me want to believe this is coming from the DeS/DaS/BB company, and not the DaS2 company, but I never know which way they're going to swing.

Dark Souls 2 only stands out because Miyazaki was working on BB instead and he's the lead here so I think that's your answer.

Also, the game doesn't look slightly floaty and the models don't look off compared to the previous game.

(I still like DS2, it's just their weakest title)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope everyone in DaS2 got fired.

Jk

Game still stank tho.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Miyazaki is the president of From Software now. I doubt a Dark Souls II situation would happen at this point.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That'd be unfortunate. The second-best game From Software ever made may never happen again. :(

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Elden Ring looks like it'll be the Dark Souls 2 of Fromsoftware games and that rocks.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Vintersorg posted:

Game still stank tho.
:nyd::getout:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
DS2 was good. gently caress the haters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's got the powerstancing and freeform progression from DS2 but also a good game attached!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

My comment in 2014, which I still stand by, is that it's like they took Dark Souls and then filtered it exclusively through reddit memes about Dark Souls that continued in post-release patches. It was so weird to have the largest amount of content but also the dumbest things. I'm replaying everything in prep for ER and starting with 2 just brings back all the :what:.

Watched Distortion2's run through all bosses in the game tonight and you can see so many good things. Everything seemed to have a bonfire/stake nearby or some other convenience to let you play with what you had instead of just getting kicked in the balls repeatedly because :darksouls:. Enemies were threats without being lazy susan poise monsters. It's probably the closest thing I've felt to the original game's hype.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mailer posted:

lazy susan poise monsters.

Oh, you mean the mace knight at Heides tower of flame that I spent an hour bashing my face against before finding the proper way to go because it was my first Souls game and I knew they were supposed to be hard?

Yeah, gently caress that guy and the people who designed it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

multijoe posted:

It's got the powerstancing and freeform progression from DS2 but also a good game attached!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Oh, you mean the mace knight at Heides tower of flame that I spent an hour bashing my face against before finding the proper way to go because it was my first Souls game and I knew they were supposed to be hard?

Yeah, gently caress that guy and the people who designed it.

I gotta say there's something like that in every souls game. Skeletons in fireworks shrine, big crystal lizard in the opening of ds3, etc.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oldstench posted:

DS2 was good. gently caress the haters.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Impermanent posted:

I gotta say there's something like that in every souls game. Skeletons in fireworks shrine, big crystal lizard in the opening of ds3, etc.

the lothric knights patrolling the walls in 3 gave me more trouble than anything in Heide's Tower and that's on the required first path of that game

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vintersorg posted:

I hope everyone in DaS2 got fired.

Jk

Game still stank tho.

I mean everyone in DS2 did get fired, because the cycle of fire continues into DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 2 was great

Elden Ring, after 13 and a half hours, seems better