Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There is a car charger just next to where the carbomb went off so I was initially worried what the cause of this might be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah it sounds like that cabbie did amazingly well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well the mayor of liverpool, according to the independent, has said the same thing. Seems like they might be in a position to know whats going on?

Also, i am an expert on car bombs having just google image searched 'carbomb' and its a bunch of burning or burnt out car wrecks so looks pretty standard carbomb to me.

There's also a video of the car bomb blowing up here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-Hospital.html

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1460187977754292225

If you want to avoid the Mail.

e: Dumb personal attack deleted.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 15, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

From each according to me, to each according to you.

People should click through to see the whole picture.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nuffin.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 15, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All credit to the cabbie.

Comrade Fakename posted:

People should click through to see the whole picture.

Eh, I never claimed to be original. And good thing to because I have contributed nothing to this world but misery.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 15, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why? Because we disagree about car bombs?

I deleted it because it was a stupid over-reaction for which I apologise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That person in the red car seems very nonchalant about it then suddenly starts running. Like the car just entered his cone of vision.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you respond differently to shocking events than you think you would ime

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

That person in the red car seems very nonchalant about it then suddenly starts running. Like the car just entered his cone of vision.

Same energy:

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1458884912598196226

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

Processing power goes from legs to brain until they figure out "wait someone's car exploded they might need help" which takes a few seconds.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Honestly, credit for running towards the explosion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It looks as though he reacts automatically to the bang, walks in slowly to see what's actually going on, then picks up speed, perhaps in response to the driver shouting or calling for help.

Pretty sensible reaction to the completely unexpected.

e: ^^ although yeah I wouldn't fault him for running the gently caress in the other direction and raising the alarm elsewhere, because that would also be a sensible reaction when you have no idea what's going to follow the first bang.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Among a close group of people that would have been real nasty, thankfully it wasn't a car bomb like the Remembrance Day bombing in Enniskillen back in 1987.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Among a close group of people that would have been real nasty

Yep that would have been horrific in a hospital reception area. No casualties apart from the bomber and the cabbie gets away is the best possible outcome.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Is there anything official and not just pish from ukfreedomnews #takeourcountryback type of places about what happened?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DrWrestling69 posted:

Is there anything official and not just pish from ukfreedomnews #takeourcountryback type of places about what happened?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2021/nov/15/liverpool-womens-hospital-blast-police-hold-news-conference-live

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It looks as though he reacts automatically to the bang, walks in slowly to see what's actually going on, then picks up speed, perhaps in response to the driver shouting or calling for help.

Pretty sensible reaction to the completely unexpected.

Yeah my interp was "walked to see wtf happened, runs after seeing someone needing help"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I take it I'm correct in that nothing has been mentioned so far about the ethnicity and nationality of the bomber and those arrested?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

fuctifino posted:

I take it I'm correct in that nothing has been mentioned so far about the ethnicity and nationality of the bomber and those arrested?
It is not being treated as terror related despite 3 arrests by counter terror police

He white, OP

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I think it's been upgraded to A Terrorism now, as of this morning.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Don't think so. They're all in the their 20s and male.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

stev posted:

They run and catch the taxi driver. You can see them apprehending them to the left in a longer video.

His response was pretty drat brave if you ask me. He went towards the explosion and then as the driver got out and ran he went after him to make sure he didn't run off, and as far as anyone knew that guy could have been armed and dangerous.

Also on the longer video you see hospital staff come out to check for anyone in the vehicle and bring out a fire extinguisher. Pretty risky.

Anyway, town is now on high alert. Liverpool One will have a higher security presence and they're being super strict about allowing deliveries to enter the site. I no longer work on Liverpool One but I still get employee alerts and yeaaaaah, sounds like everyone is being vigilant.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Beginning to think that vote to save Owen Paterson was a very big miscalculation now the papers want to take through everything

https://twitter.com/pippacrerar/status/1460211348739137545?s=21

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Borrovan posted:

It is not being treated as terror related despite 3 arrests by counter terror police

He white, OP

Literally what I was thinking. Women's Hospital has been criticised and targeted by Qanon esque anti-vaxx and anti-abortion groups.

Liverpool has a really worrying concentration of Qanon nutjobs and my theory is it's something to do with that.

I'm keeping an eye on the local gossip groups because it seems idiots keep on trying to "leak" the names of people being arrested. Luckily admins are being swift in removing any of this stuff. Obviously everyone has jumped straight onto thinking it's one of the many refugees that Liverpool has "taken in" recently. There's been uproar from the usual folk and they're trying to stir the pot by claiming it's them. So yeah, be vigilant in protecting your BAME friends because there's inevitably going to be some tension in town.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

josh04 posted:

I think it's been upgraded to A Terrorism now, as of this morning.
I stand corrected

I'm still sticking with my bet though, they were pretty quick to call it a terror when that British Somali guy tweeted anonymously at that Tory

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I can't imagine a q-anon nut job being able to build a bomb without (a) being incredibly obvious about it (b) blowing themselves up

Like Al Quaida improvised bomb makers are pretty well trained and even they're missing a few fingers

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Thanks the clarification re: nationality, as I can stamp down hard on racist fuckwits on my timeline...

But yeah, if it was the remembrance day service that was targeted, it could very easily be the start of Irish republican action on the mainland, due to the tearing up of the GFA.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I can't imagine a q-anon nut job being able to build a bomb without (a) being incredibly obvious about it (b) blowing themselves up

Like Al Quaida improvised bomb makers are pretty well trained and even they're missing a few fingers

I mean it didn’t seem a particularly impressive bomb given the cabbie was in the front when it went off and was basically unharmed

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Noxville posted:

I mean it didn’t seem a particularly impressive bomb given the cabbie was in the front when it went off and was basically unharmed

Never underestimate the strength of that vomit screen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I mean both of those things did happen in this case :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conceivably if it was shrapnel based then the seat might have stopped most of it, also explains why it didn't do much other than set the car on fire. Could still have been quite dangerous if it went off in a crowded space.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Never underestimate the strength of that vomit screen

Yeah, 100% this. It's designed to stop people being able to punch or kick their way through.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

The taxi driver's wife has posted an update. His injuries aren't bad and it seems he had no idea anything was going down so people's weird narrative of him being a hero was incorrect. He got caught in the explosion and just got out of the Taxi like any sane person would. This also makes the hospital seem like the target and not some Poppy Christmas event. Why would they have pulled in without it having been the destination? Deffo right wing nutjobs, hence the hush hush.

But yeah, the "bomb" was poo poo and clearly didn't work as intended. Amateurs.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when we had a better quality of bomb makers in this country? smdh

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Solefald posted:

The taxi driver's wife has posted an update. His injuries aren't bad and it seems he had no idea anything was going down so people's weird narrative of him being a hero was incorrect. He got caught in the explosion and just got out of the Taxi like any sane person would. This also makes the hospital seem like the target and not some Poppy Christmas event. Why would they have pulled in without it having been the destination? Deffo right wing nutjobs, hence the hush hush.

But yeah, the "bomb" was poo poo and clearly didn't work as intended. Amateurs.

I read somewhere that the original destination was the cathedral but that due to traffic the bomber changed to the hospital.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Goons in the searchlight:

quote:

Neighbour Sharon Cullen said she thought four men aged about in their 20s lived at the address in Sutcliffe Street.

She said: “I don’t know any of them but one them always seemed to be on a PC in his bedroom.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In military applications, antipersonnel explosives are usually either concussion of fragmentation based, concussives are what you think of most of the time with explosions where it just goes boom and vaporises people, but you need a lot of explosives for that, so for stuff like hand grenades that they want to maximise effective range on, they cover them in a shell that fragments into shrapnel, so you get a fairly small bang and a lot of sharp metal going much further. The issue with that is that shrapnel is usually stopped by anything in the way.

So again it is quite possible that the bomb could have been very dangerous if the bomber had detonated it anywhere else other than in the back of cab covered in plexiglass. Or maybe they just had no idea what they had actually built and didn't do a test beforehand (which is a bit weird because nobody would have noticed on bonfire night :v:)

Or maybe they did and their second batch didn't work so well, who knows. Either way good that the pillock only blew themselves up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

nobody would have noticed on bonfire night :v:
It could even have been made out of fireworks, if it was an amateur wingnut effort. The CT guys have been going on about how good they've got at tracking suspicious purchases of certain chemicals and so on, but you can just buy a bunch of black powder and various flash powders from the newsagents around this time of year as long as you pay 10x the price for it to be wrapped up in bright colours and given a silly name.

That's the exact kind of thing that'd be horrible if you mixed in a bunch of sharp objects and got around people, but if you manage to set it off prematurely in the back of a taxi with a passenger screen you'll mostly just die and set poo poo on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It could even have been made out of fireworks, if it was an amateur wingnut effort. The CT guys have been going on about how good they've got at tracking suspicious purchases of certain chemicals and so on, but you can just buy a bunch of black powder and various flash powders from the newsagents around this time of year as long as you pay 10x the price for it to be wrapped up in bright colours and given a silly name.

That's the exact kind of thing that'd be horrible if you mixed in a bunch of sharp objects and got around people, but if you manage to set it off prematurely in the back of a taxi with a passenger screen you'll mostly just die and set poo poo on fire.

Actually, yeah, the big puff of smoke could actually indicate a black powder explosion.

The big "2 for 1 fireworks" banner they had over the yorkshire trading I drove past the other day looking like an even worse idea than I already thought :v: