Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It’s easier to make bad posts during work hours than to play video games.

:hmmyes:

(Unless you have the Zelda Game and Watch which is really discrete)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m doing this at work but I’m playing FF9 in my sleeve instead of eating a hotdog (hotdogs are still ftw)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I haven’t eaten a hotdog in two years, my god its been so long

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

we should all try eat at least one this week

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rocket Pan posted:

This seems to match my observations, for at least games initially made for CRTs.
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1456941289098801155

Thank you for your insights. I'm giving vivid a try and it looks quite nice. Semper oled

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I watched Vinny play Vice City and San Andreas for about two and a half hours on the Switch and it looked fine. I have no idea what random people on Twitter/Youtube are freaking out about.

Vice City looked a bit janky though, like frames were completely missing from some animations and it sort of made Tommy look like a claymation figure with how jerky he moved but it's not that big a deal. The physics are also pretty wacky (he ran into a pole and it just kind of slowly floated into the air and hovered over his car) but that honestly seems to track with how I remember them being in the original versions too. Some framerate drops too but that doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some people (it bothered Vinny a bit more than me) but overall it looks perfectly fine.

Then he played San Andreas and it looked completely fine. The character models were kinda ugly but not all that bad. It looked like it ran much smoother too, and he even hit some rain and despite all those videos and screenshots on Twitter about how the game is completely unplayable during rain it didn't look like a problem at all.

I probably won't be getting it anytime soon but it's nice to know that the games play perfectly fine and people are just overreacting over poo poo that isn't a big deal in the slightest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I watched Vinny play Vice City and San Andreas for about two and a half hours on the Switch and it looked fine. I have no idea what random people on Twitter/Youtube are freaking out about.

Vice City looked a bit janky though, like frames were completely missing from some animations and it sort of made Tommy look like a claymation figure with how jerky he moved but it's not that big a deal. The physics are also pretty wacky (he ran into a pole and it just kind of slowly floated into the air and hovered over his car) but that honestly seems to track with how I remember them being in the original versions too. Some framerate drops too but that doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some people (it bothered Vinny a bit more than me) but overall it looks perfectly fine.

Then he played San Andreas and it looked completely fine. The character models were kinda ugly but not all that bad. It looked like it ran much smoother too, and he even hit some rain and despite all those videos and screenshots on Twitter about how the game is completely unplayable during rain it didn't look like a problem at all.

I probably won't be getting it anytime soon but it's nice to know that the games play perfectly fine and people are just overreacting over poo poo that isn't a big deal in the slightest.

lol
Edit: and lmao

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Stux posted:

standard

a bit out but pretty close

vivid

oops!

anynwya if you would like to explain how your special dev eyes invalidate this go ahead :D

I don't know if it's because I'm colorblind but I don't know what these triangles mean, and I don't know how to google it.

Is the bigger triangle just more saturation, or more colors in general, can we even tell the difference with normal monitors?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trust your eyes. Use whatever looks better to you.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't know if it's because I'm colorblind but I don't know what these triangles mean, and I don't know how to google it.

Is the bigger triangle just more saturation, or more colors in general, can we even tell the difference with normal monitors?

I'm not colourblind and I also have no idea what the triangles mean

colour stuff is inscrutable to me tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

enjoying bad ports on switch: cool and good

enjoying the more vibrant colours???: you're dead

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Looking at color wheels is always fun to do with my partner when they come up.

Just for fun, I took the tritanopia image, and overlayed it the original and futzed with sliders until I couldn't tell the difference, so this is what those triangles look like to me lol

I only found out earlier this year that I've got Tritanopia / Tritanomaly. So I talk about it whenever I can because I find it absolutely fascinating. I think it's crazy there are these emulators that can let you see what I see, but I guess light and sound is just math.

e: The top one is the original.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 15, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got minor colorblindness (forget the name but it's the most common one) and setting...some variation of "vivid" on my TV (it's actually considered "calibrated dark" on the tv but I've heavily modified it to be brighter and slightly more blue focused, but not nearly as prevalent as vivid) has helped me with colors that I kinda struggle with, like very similar hues of blue and purple. Not everyone has the same perspective on this stuff, go with what looks right to you and makes you happy.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 22, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

One of us is having a stroke

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Boba Pearl posted:

The triangles are the color gamut that each of the modes reproduces. In simple (and not entirely correct) terms rendering color into a larger color gamut produces less compression artifacts IF the original captured image comes from an even larger color gamut (like a photograph from the world, or actually an artificial one like computer generated images). If the image you are reproducing is entirely digital (like I assume it is with Doom 64 for example), it‘s totally up to the people who created the original image, to the image format, the bit-depth of the original format of what that image actually should look like. This is mostly due to the fact that it was created on a display, so it's color reproduction is device dependant. Each display will reproduce for example 100% red differently. This can be mitigated by using a color profile supplied by the manufacturer of the display to match a given standard, and even then it will be different from one batch to the other. It can be further mitigated by calibrating the device by actually measuring the energy at certain wavelengths it is able to create and thus creating a more precise color profile, but you will never really now what the author of the digital piece saw when he decided "this pixel is 100% red, 55% green, 12% blue". You can only get close to it, and then you have to try to reproduce this to a completely different, device dependant color gamut (=> color mapping).

People tend to look at color gamuts and use them as some kind of „larger is better“, which is just half of the truth. Rendering intent is pretty important when color mapping into another gamut, and is always important in regard to the use case. You can map into a large gamut and it looks like poo poo if you are using the wrong rendering intent, but this also depends on the kind of tones you actually have to map. Is clipping bad? Or does clipping colors not harm my image, and it‘s way more important to keep gradients? There are different intents for these situations, they can be adaptive (trying to replicate how the human eye works), absolute (replicate the source material 1:1 and clip it off when the gamut cannot reproduce it) etc.

Only looking at a color gamut says a few things, but implementing that gamut well is another task to conquer.

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 15, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
gamut

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I did not know the '90s was still producing Nintendo accessories.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx4IURmHjV0

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
not watching a contextless 14 minute video, particularly from you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The context is the N64 emulation is really bad on switch. Saved everyone 14 mins. Play what you like!!!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The context is the N64 emulation is really bad on switch. Saved everyone 14 mins. Play what you like!!!

Thank you.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I did not know the '90s was still producing Nintendo accessories.

Someone let me know when I can get a magnifying screen that goes on top of my Switch.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sewing shops sell magnifying screens with lights that you might be able to make work with a switch, depending on what you need

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
switch dot matrix printer when

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Someone let me know when I can get a magnifying screen that goes on top of my Switch.

years ago

https://youtu.be/jyCTua6hxrg

you shouldn't get one, but you can

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It’s easier to make bad posts during work hours than to play video games.

It is if you’re not working remotely due to the pandemic, sure.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol so I was exactly right when I estimated that the OoT port had a quarter second of lag, incredible.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Some of us can't work remotely because we have real jobs at the dick sucking factory

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Nerrel vid is good, as usual.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Boba Pearl posted:

the bigger triangle is whaht the oled could display, but the small triangle inside is what switch games actually produce. you want what the game is trying to display to be as close as possible to what the display produces, which is what standard does. however i understnand that for some people w colorblindness etc higher saturation or contrast between colors can be helpful so it would be a good choice there. but in general standard is accurate to what the games are intending to display.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Some of us can't work remotely because we have real jobs at the dick sucking factory

Taking an extra shift was the only way I could afford SMTV.

Game is dope, by the way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

seems good to me. i dont go for that nerd poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

the bigger triangle is whaht the oled could display, but the small triangle inside is what switch games actually produce. you want what the game is trying to display to be as close as possible to what the display produces, which is what standard does. however i understnand that for some people w colorblindness etc higher saturation or contrast between colors can be helpful so it would be a good choice there. but in general standard is accurate to what the games are intending to display.

Stux posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx4IURmHjV0&t=563s

i adressed this in my video, maybe you coudl watch it>>>>?>?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

so random youtubers are good when they said NSO bad, but bad when they say the GTA Port is bad?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

They’re bad and the ports are bad and the N64 emulation is bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

LODGE NORTH posted:

They’re bad and the ports are bad and the N64 emulation is bad.

im having fun witht hem, therefore theyre good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Stux posted:

you want what the game is trying to display to be as close as possible to what the display produces,

I can want whatever I want bitch