Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
From games own, sorry scrubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mescal posted:

i was having trouble with part of dark souls iii, i looked up a walkthrough, here's what it said: "there are two knights on the staircase. they are fast, so be careful. then a ranger and two more knights. then a fire caster. he's powerful, so be careful. then a general with six zombies, two more casters, and two more knights. Defeat the enemies and turn left."

drat i recognize this part
if you can't oneshot the zombies and have to spend time dodging around them to get hits in you get hosed by the caster dudes around the corner summoning flame pillars beneath you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mescal posted:

it's become an evergreen joke between me and mine. in any game, having trouble one tells the other "I know this part. you have to defeat the enemies."

did you try being better at the game? PRO TIP if you play better you won't die as often

Realtalk though the Souls series is good because of the multiplayer, the singleplayer experience is fun but what I really want to do is dress up as a big onion and fight a shimmery purple guy with a big treasure chest for a head while we stab at each other with weapons that are just giant wooden wheels with spikes on them, and no other game provides this experience yet.

Also this is something that a lot of game developers still manage to gently caress up but this is critically important: dark souls doesn't have in-game chat. By default this makes the multiplayer experience 1000% better than it would have been otherwise.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
tired; dark souls
wired; bayonetta

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

abigserve posted:

tired; dark souls
wired; bayonetta

inspired : God Hand

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elentor posted:

You can pretty much retry Ornstein and Smough immediately, the corpse run is very quick and it did not make me take any less time in it which was a shitload of time to kill one boss. In fact I thought that fight was so hard that after beating it I stopped DS1, I thought the game could either go downhill or get harder and in both scenarios I wasn't really looking forward to any of it.

You made a pretty good choice, tbh, because DS1 absolutely goes downhill after O+S. There's a few interesting bits here and there and Gwyn himself is pretty cool but most of it is either mediocre or unfinished garbage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know whats a hard as hell game I quit due to the difficulty but it still kicked rear end? Baba is You

John Murdoch posted:

You made a pretty good choice, tbh, because DS1 absolutely goes downhill after O+S. There's a few interesting bits here and there and Gwyn himself is pretty cool but most of it is either mediocre or unfinished garbage.

Yet still a better game than literally any of the others in the set From made

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Barudak posted:

You know whats a hard as hell game I quit due to the difficulty but it still kicked rear end? Baba is You

Baba was super disappointing because the premise (changing object states creatively) is way less pronounced than box-pushing puzzles

Most of the time you know exactly what needs to happen to solve the level but have to figure out which order and direction to push boxes to make it happen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Baba was super disappointing because the premise (changing object states creatively) is way less pronounced than box-pushing puzzles

Most of the time you know exactly what needs to happen to solve the level but have to figure out which order and direction to push boxes to make it happen

Its why I quit. It starts fantastic and then becomes Super Sokoban 2, and this, this is to go even further beyond.

I still enjoyed watching other people's solutions, which is the mark of a good puzzler to me like this but hard as hell

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Elentor posted:

You can pretty much retry Ornstein and Smough immediately, the corpse run is very quick and it did not make me take any less time in it which was a shitload of time to kill one boss. In fact I thought that fight was so hard that after beating it I stopped DS1, I thought the game could either go downhill or get harder and in both scenarios I wasn't really looking forward to any of it.

I killed ornstein then cheesed smough with ranged every single time, gently caress that guy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know what else is a super good but insanely hard game? Tetris Grand Master

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anyone played the game Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? Been eyeballing it. I got a hankering some kind of tactics or dungeon crawler game with a character roster you have some control over. I've played most of the big modern options like XCOM(2), Battle Brothers, and Darkest Dungeon.

I liked Final Fantasy Tactics a lot back in the day so I'm wondering if this stacks up. Or if anyone has some alternate suggestions that's cool too. PC only though.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Meme Poker Party posted:

Anyone played the game Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? Been eyeballing it. I got a hankering some kind of tactics or dungeon crawler game with a character roster you have some control over. I've played most of the big modern options like XCOM(2), Battle Brothers, and Darkest Dungeon.

I liked Final Fantasy Tactics a lot back in the day so I'm wondering if this stacks up. Or if anyone has some alternate suggestions that's cool too. PC only though.

If emulation is an option why the sweet hell aren't you playing bahamut lagoon??????????????????????????????????????

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Or if anyone has some alternate suggestions that's cool too. PC only though.

Wasteland 3 is really good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Meme Poker Party posted:

Wildermyth is pretty dang good, more like XCOM than FFT.

FFTA/FFTA2 via emulator is a really good time.

FF12 with the SFF mod is a really solid dungeon crawler but it’s not turn based.

Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Pathfinder (wrath of the righteous seems a lot better than kingmaker, but it’s still buggy as poo poo) are the standard CRPG recommendations and frankly they do scratch that itch of building parties and venturing forth.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally A Person posted:

If emulation is an option why the sweet hell aren't you playing bahamut lagoon??????????????????????????????????????

Probably because I've never heard of it before!!!

Vakal posted:

Wasteland 3 is really good.

You know I think I remember looking at Wasteland 1 and/or 2 and thinking they weren't my bag. Is the third one similar to the first two? I'll take a look though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

darkest dungeon 2 is vg, it's out on epic, or slay the spire?

guardians of the galaxy is a total blast but not anything like those, it's more of a linear story game with chaotic pew pew shooting encounters (which the goon hivemind doesn't like, but i think are fine)

baldurs gate three, the divinity games, solasta are all good D&D style party games

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Probably because I've never heard of it before!!!

You know I think I remember looking at Wasteland 1 and/or 2 and thinking they weren't my bag. Is the third one similar to the first two? I'll take a look though.

Wasteland 3 is way more polished than 2 and has a pretty good amount of worldbuilding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeHwhLPKz8

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh? Dark souls let's you recover the poo poo you picked up if you die and have to go back to a checkpoint. That's way less punishing than 90% of games where you just start at the checkpoint as you were or with some (usually weak) default loadout.

90 percent of games actually have you restart at a checkpoint right before you died losing absolutely nothing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

Wildermyth is pretty dang good, more like XCOM than FFT.

Oh this seems one really cool and the kind of thing I'm looking for. Might have a winner!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Get some mods to increase the variation of characters, especially hairstyles/faces/etc.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

the only real difference between fell seal and fft is the item usage system

I enjoyed it, I give it a 8 / 10 on the FFT scale

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
aoe4 is pretty fun everyone we even got a fun goon group which is amazing

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Meme Poker Party posted:

I enjoyed Fell Seal a whole bunch, though I stopped playing like a third of the way in to wait for the DLC to drop and haven't got back to it yet. It's pretty solid imo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Excelzior posted:

the only real difference between fell seal and fft is the item usage system

I enjoyed it, I give it a 8 / 10 on the FFT scale

Fell seal managed to tie for the most confusing plot of all time?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

John Murdoch posted:

The term I've concocted for how to play Souls games is "guarded confidence". If you just blunder into situations and mash your attack buttons you will die. If you try to play hyper-defensively you will hate the game and also still die a lot anyway. You gotta dial in being confident enough to say "I need to run over there and kill that skeleton right now" but guarded enough to realize there's probably another skeleton just around that blind corner waiting to ambush you once you do, so don't get greedy or complacent.

For as many dummies who just DSP their way through things, I've seen just many if not more people freeze up and just have no answer at all to the game going "okay but what if there were actually TWO skeletons??" so they clamp down the shield button and hem and haw about finding an opening while being whittled down and then die.

This has been 100% my experience with soulslikes, and is 100% why I like them (granted I'm speaking from the position of someone who has just played the two Surge games).

It's about working out why you're getting your rear end kicked and learning the strategies to deal with it, and they may be hard but they're not complete bullshit unavoidable death marches like some seem to think they are.

As trite as the smug "git good" catchphrase-spewing morons are, they do have a point in that honing your skills and learning from your defeats is the correct way forward. In The Surge 2 there's a bit in the game where you're basically forced to become proficient at the parry mechanic to proceed, but once you get it it just clicks and all of a sudden previous challenges become a whole lot more easily surmountable. I'm a huge fan of the fact that the trivialisation of early challenges comes about not because your character is mechanically far stronger or has additional abilities, but because you, the player, have picked up new skills, and there's no genre of games quite like it in this respect. Then your new skill lets you approach old situations completely differently; so instead of hit and run tactics where you're gingerly feeling out enemies and only attacking when they're in a recovery animation from an attack you just dodged, all of a sudden you're attacking them head on and standing your ground because you've got the parry timing sorted out and can just bait them to attack and devastate them with counterattacks. There's a great risk/reward balance there and it's all technically available to you from square one.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the trick to playing souls games is that you just gotta believe in yoruself

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

As my good ninja friend Sekiro always says, Dattebayo!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Sorry wrong thread

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its this

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I completed the first two dark souls games like 6 or 7 years ago.

Tried dark souls 3 this year and just got bored at the first boss fight, I think I just don't have the patience for souls-likes anymore, they don't provide the relaxation that I'm looking for in games these days.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Fell seal managed to tie for the most confusing plot of all time?

blame yourself or devs

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
games like animal crossing and stardew valley stress me out way too much.

i wish i enjoyed them, people seem to have a lot of fun playing them. :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sootikins posted:

games like animal crossing and stardew valley stress me out way too much.

i wish i enjoyed them, people seem to have a lot of fun playing them. :(

how can you be stressed out by animal crossing. there are no stakes you just do whatever you want

i can understand stardew valley though, ghost grandpa is a harsh critic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

Every single boss has some devastating move with a tell you can only figure out through trial and error and dying so I don't really know what he's talking about. You either study up before you play or you get rocked multiple times by the bosses and learn their patterns, there is no "learning how to play" that makes you good enough to beat bosses blind in Dark Souls.

The bolded part is just patently not true. Even on my first playthrough there were bosses in Dark Souls I beat on my first try, and I'm not some god gamer who always plays on the hardest mode or anything. There are maybe a couple of bosses in the first Dark Souls (not counting DLC) where I would be skeptical of someone saying they beat them on their first try completely blind, but a lot of them are definitely beatable on a first try. I wouldn't call that easy, but it's not literally impossible. You can learn the "rules."

I mean, poo poo, I beat the final DLC boss in Bloodborne on my first try, though just barely.

I do think Dark Souls 3 swung too hard in the "this is a hard twitchy action game" direction though.

Nova69 posted:

I completed the first two dark souls games like 6 or 7 years ago.

Tried dark souls 3 this year and just got bored at the first boss fight, I think I just don't have the patience for souls-likes anymore, they don't provide the relaxation that I'm looking for in games these days.

I like a lot about Dark Souls 3 but I don't have a lot of patience for its combat these days. DS3 to me feels like they're trying to make you fight Bloodborne enemies while playing a Dark Souls character. It's hard in a way I don't really find as satisfying as I do the other Souls games or Bloodborne. It's the only game in the series I've only played through once and I never went back to do the DLC, either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

how can you be stressed out by animal crossing. there are no stakes you just do whatever you want

Except you can't. Animal Crossing makes you play at the game's pace, not your own. I don't think that's a bad thing, but I'm looking to play something for a few hours a day for a week and then being done with it, not poke at something for months. I don't want any long term commitments in my games.

That's not a bad videogame opinion since it just makes me go, "Animal Crossing is not for me," and then I go on with my life and that's about as good as videogame opinions get. Bad videogame opinion: Stardew Valley tries to do too many things and it winds up being kind of awkward.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Floodixor posted:

Wait what new xcom

I know you're not talking about chimera squad

Also enemies spotting you was a big fuckin hassle when you triggered a second pod of em so who knows

Sorry, 'new' as in Enemy Unknown since it's newer than the DOS one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Animal Crossing is the biggest loaf of guff

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My niece loves animal crossing but she's 8 so she is in the target demographic

grown men playing it is very strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019