Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

the one and only new car I've had was a VW and I had to take it back in 3 times to work out rattles in the cabin.
Every time I see munroe video where the rear end in a top hat is extolling the virtues of snap fit plastic components I want to shwack him on the nose with a loose fitting piece of interior trim.

um excuse me posted:

I took my new subaru to the dealer once for rattles and they told me it wasnt covered by warranty lol.
hello corporate? not just naw but hell naw

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
7 years and 100,000 miles ago. I ended up tearing apart the interior and just adding sound deadening everywhere.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:perfect:

I'm doing this to my neighbors Dodge. Pictures at some point.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The only new car I’ve had with interior rattles was one of my WRXs but it was so minor I didn’t even deal with it.

Most rattly used cars I’ve had are definitely R53 Minis. I have an 02 with dynamat and foam tape under the dash. To compare, I have an 02 Civic Si with almost identical mileage and zero squeaks or rattles or noises of any sort.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The only new car I’ve had with interior rattles was one of my WRXs but it was so minor I didn’t even deal with it.

Most rattly used cars I’ve had are definitely R53 Minis. I have an 02 with dynamat and foam tape under the dash. To compare, I have an 02 Civic Si with almost identical mileage and zero squeaks or rattles or noises of any sort.

Mine was a GTI and the rattles were bad but they sorted it out at the dealer over time...worse was the stock tires, some supposedly nice summer Pirellis...horrible road noise and terrible grip even in dry conditions. One of the most major upgrades I did to that car was just getting all season tires and they did everything better including road noise/wear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just. Get. PS4s.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The only way to fix the rattles in a subaru is to get a loud stereo.

Every time you fix one rattle, it'll uncover another, slightly quieter rattle you didn't hear before.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

whoever got the bronco with the miscolored passenger seat should act like it's like a baseball error card or something or do an NFT

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Boogalo posted:

The only way to fix the rattles in a subaru is to get a loud stereo.

Every time you fix one rattle, it'll uncover another, slightly quieter rattle you didn't hear before.

May I introduce you to 2nd and 3rd gen Dodge Rams?

Every. single. piece. of the dash gets horribly brittle and starts rattling against every other piece of broken plastic. The A/C controls fall into the dash. The foam degrades into little strips of poo poo that clog the blower motor (this makes A SOUND) and randomly fly out of the vents at your face. I'm done with it. Not going to dismantle that poo poo until a light goes off or fails to go off. At least the parts are relatively cheap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MattO posted:

whoever got the bronco with the miscolored passenger seat should act like it's like a baseball error card or something or do an NFT

We are in the worst timeline because I can't tell if this is a serious suggestion or not

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

crosspostin cause I still can't believe people ate engine oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC0oik3plC8

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

slidebite posted:

My father-in-law was telling me a story of when he was apprenticing at a local ford dealer back in the early 70s. He said someone had just bought a new car and it had a constant rattle/bang. Customer was not happy since the car was only a day old or something like that.

They ended up taking apart a door panel and someone in the factory tied a wrech to a piece of string with a note that said "Haha you found me. Can you find the other one?"

There were no other noises so to this day he is unsure if there was anything else or not.

He said back in those days the pissed off UAW members would go out of their way to do something to brand new cars coming off the line to piss off customers who would then be mad at the companies. Things like this that were obviously not an accident.

The now deceased co-owner of the shop I used to work at told me that, at the Ford plant that used to be in Milpitas CA, the guys at the end of the line would take any unused or missed fasteners and trim pieces and just throw them into one of the doors and put the door card back on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Worked out well for them.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Just. Get. PS4s.
I can't tell what PS4s are for. They chunk apart on track and don't provide significantly more grip or lifetime than Indy 500s or General GMax RS, which cost half as much. Is the entire market for these just One Lap of America potential competitors?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MattO posted:

yeah, except how many more do you think have rolled off the line with the same error?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

stinch posted:

yeah, except how many more do you think have rolled off the line with the same error?

Then he should hope he has a lower VIN.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

stinch posted:

I am expecting an entire shifts worth at least as the seats in line were offset by 1.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have no idea what that is, but considering the thread it ain't good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It looks like some sort of impeller.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

slidebite posted:

I have no idea what that is, but considering the thread it ain't good.

Turbine wheel in a catalyst element

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
It's a turbo exhaust turbine in the dpf from a truck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder what the customer complaint was. No boost?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Turbo chunks filter workin just fine

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
The scion experience continues, I finally ended up just cutting the bushing out. I tried to weld a nut to what was left of the bolt, but there was zero chance it would come out. So I pulled the subframe out of the car. Of course in doing so one of the bolts that holds it to the car broke. I ended up getting a hole saw and cutting it down and tig welding it back together so it would fit in the pocket. I was able to cut out the nut and what was left of the bolt. Then I bought another nut and used the same hole saw to cut a disc out of a piece of plate. Then welded the nut back onto the plate and drilled a hole in it. Then I welded that puck back onto the subframe. So the subframe is finally back in the car and where I broke the bolt I just welded the subframe to the car.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Valt posted:

The scion experience continues, I finally ended up just cutting the bushing out. I tried to weld a nut to what was left of the bolt, but there was zero chance it would come out. So I pulled the subframe out of the car. Of course in doing so one of the bolts that holds it to the car broke. I ended up getting a hole saw and cutting it down and tig welding it back together so it would fit in the pocket. I was able to cut out the nut and what was left of the bolt. Then I bought another nut and used the same hole saw to cut a disc out of a piece of plate. Then welded the nut back onto the plate and drilled a hole in it. Then I welded that puck back onto the subframe. So the subframe is finally back in the car and where I broke the bolt I just welded the subframe to the car.

:catstare: Looks like the old saw about "Every 30 minute job is one broken bolt away from loving up your weekend." is 100% true.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/tc5eIXq.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

pretty much every oil change is like this.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

What is going on with the slide hammer

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No. 6 posted:

What is going on with the slide hammer

Pulling injectors from a (mercedes?) diesel.

I posted ages ago another mechanism that had a huge cantilever to accomplish the same task.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How the hell do they become that seized?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Carbon builds up and hardens around the injector nozzle and sealing washer, basically locking it in place. But there's tools for this that make it far easier than doing this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 15, 2021

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

charliemonster42 posted:

:catstare: Looks like the old saw about "Every 30 minute job is one broken bolt away from loving up your weekend." is 100% true.

Yeah not to mention the original reason for taking it apart was to replace the front wheel bearings. Which I brought to a shop to have them press out the bearings and press in new ones. They originally quoted me $75 to do both of them, but I decided to just do the one that was obviously bad. Now they are telling me it was $75 just for the one, so I'm going to buy a press from northern tool to do the other one. Here are some pictures of this nightmare.

This is the bolt that broke off in the car itself. Its clearly all one big rust piece at this point and I wasn't going to waste my time trying to get it out.

This was my setup to use the hole saw to cut out the broken bolt and nut.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Being powerfist posted this, I expected a chunk of head or something to fly off and knock the guy off his feet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

Pulling injectors from a (mercedes?) diesel.

I posted ages ago another mechanism that had a huge cantilever to accomplish the same task.

That looks like the controller for an overhead crane next to the fender. They should just hook that on, fill the cylinder with some seafoam, put some tension on it and have a beer.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Valt posted:

Bloody hell.

God this is giving me ptsd from working on my 2003 civic this summer. I decided it was finally time to do rear struts, front lower control arms and tie rods because they were all almost 20 years old and how hard could it be it's mostly a desert car right? (Spent 7 years in Michigan) should only take the weekend, mayyyybe a week of work. Well a month later I got it back together enough to have a shop do the tie rods because I was exhausted, my wife was pissed and those drat tie rods were not going to budge on my watch. Hell is running a cutoff wheel off my lovely too small HF compressor. At least now I have a list of stuff to get for next time I go off on an odyssey like that ;)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wesleywillis posted:

That looks like the controller for an overhead crane next to the fender. They should just hook that on, fill the cylinder with some seafoam, put some tension on it and have a beer.

You'll just lift the entire car. When black death hits, those fuckers are in there reaaaaaaaaal loving good. Some people wind up removing the head and chiseling out the injector, then drilling out what's left.

It's a somewhat common issue on common rail diesel Mercs. Seals on the injectors start letting exhaust out, melts everything around them, and by the time you've noticed it being down on power it's usually a big mess.

No. 6 posted:

The seals let go, letting soot build up around them. Also melts everything around them.

Come to think of it, user builds character should probably make sure that's not happening on their Sprinter..

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/WWDiV8s.mp4

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3gkSO3Sz7g

TLDW synopsis: guy has a beefy truck for towing heavy poo poo. Has a transmission built, repowers with an even beefier motor and twisted the input shaft so badly that the torque converter has to be taken apart with a death wheel to inspect the rest of the guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

There is so much wrong with this.

Guess one redeeming thing is the jack stand. But that is probably under a giant pile of rust as well.